New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Map Worthy High Fantasy Locations

Hi all,

I am making a map for an upcoming 3.5 campaign. I am trying to make a list of iconic and fun locations to include. My ideas so far incude:

The Dark Castle

The Enchanted Forest: Disney esquire fairytale forest.

Ghost Moore: spooky swamp

The Fire Swamp: natural gas andForest.

Cliffs of Despair: fog covered ocean cliffs

Dragon Graveyard

Valley of Fallen God: Giant fallen statues

Primordial Canyon: giant animals or dinosaurs

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. I am looking for things that awaken imagination and/or create interesting encounters. I plan to use a lot of planar travel so crazy ideas are welcome.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Map Worthy High Fantasy Locations

high fantasy, lets see:
    floating island / mountain in the sky
    city under the sea, flooded or in a bubble
    volcano lair / generic fire dungeon
    really REALLY big (but placid) beastie with a village on its back
    plains under perpetual storm. Bring lightning protection.
    miniature world, you get shrunk to enter
    I am rel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Map Worthy High Fantasy Locations

Some of these are kind of tropes, but the aim is some good places to explore... and they become tropes for a reason.

1) The Bathouse of Ish. A legendary bathhouse linked to the plain of water and fire... abandoned after incursions from those planes broke free
    2) Tomb of the Black Brotherhood. A nest of vampires - becuse multiple vampires, all in one place is a real challenge for a high level party.
    3) The lost Library of Klum. No one knows how it got here, of where it came from... but ere in the wastelands it is, and any real scholar will think it worth braving the hazards and perils that stalk the aisles and haunt the stacks in this repository of knowlege.
    4) Workshop of the damned. A mad artificer has fused hit technical skill with ancient necromantic knowedge to bind the tortured souls of he dead into machnes and an entire living dungeon.
    5) Fountain of Youth
    6) Fountan of custard
    7) The Great Maze. An enormous hedge-maze that constantly regrows and reshapes. No one knows why, but the consensus is 'a wizard did it'. Now the maze is going to ruin and the plant life is attacking anyone that enters. Still... there are rumours of great treasures inside.
    8) The Ash vents. Rumours abound about these formations. Some say they are natural, some say they are the chimneys to a great forge of the subterranian princes, others that they are a portal to a demiplane of ash. One thing is certain - you will need some magic just to survive the heat and ash if you want to explore these.
    9) The temple of the sun. This temple only appears on the material plane at the height of noon on the longest day of the year... if you don't leave by sunset that day you are trapped until the next year. The temple is in worship of an evil sun-god tha schorches the land with burning rays and turns the faithless to ash.
    10) The screaming cliffs. So called because of the Harpies that nest there; it isn't just haries though. Sirens lure sailors onto the rocks below and the harpies feast on their remains. There is rumour of a new harpy queen seeking to expand her influence - she has been hiring a lot of mercenaries and they have been reporting strange and ancien tresure in the gold she has paid them with.