New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Banishment's material component is silly

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    If the party faces a T-Rex and the cleric decides to banish it, I can't think of any dinosaur specific banes out there
    That's just because we need to learn more about dinosaurs!

We always need to learn more about dinosaurs.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2023-05-25 at 11:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    That's just because we need to learn more about dinosaurs!

We always need to learn more about dinosaurs.
    Except when it's time to run away from dinosaurs. Because dead people don't learn nearly as well as living ones, in general.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Except when it's time to run away from dinosaurs. Because dead people don't learn nearly as well as living ones, in general.
    Larloch and Vecna disagree

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

In the past the special item wasn't required to cast the spell, it simply made it harder to resist. Its likely a carry over without the benefit.

If the party faces a T-Rex and the cleric decides to banish it, I can't think of any dinosaur specific banes out there and I don't think it would process why it should care about a shiny piece of metal being waved around or the caster's book of vogon poetry. That's where it starts to get wonky.
    T-Rex's are strictly meat eaters so they should find and apple distasteful.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    In the past the special item wasn't required to cast the spell, it simply made it harder to resist. Its likely a carry over without the benefit.
    I don't remember in 2e, but I'm pretty sure it was necessary in 3e.

6. - Top - End - #66

EvilClericGuy

If the party faces a T-Rex and the cleric decides to banish it, I can't think of any dinosaur specific banes out there and I don't think it would process why it should care about a shiny piece of metal being waved around or the caster's book of vogon poetry. That's where it starts to get wonky.
    What, you don't carry around a can of dinosaur repellent?
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    What, you don't carry around a can of dinosaur repellent?
    Sure but it seems to attract the big one with a fin.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    That's just your chance to learn about their digestive system.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

small mammals are offensive to Dinosaurs.

10. - Top - End - #70

For dinosaurs, first you have to cast Meteor Swarm. Then that serves as the component for Banishment.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

I'd expect that there would be some smells that would be loathsome to a T. rex. What smell exactly, I have no idea, but given that they interacted with the world primarily through smell, if there's anything that would work, it'd have to be a smell.

That said, there's a severe shortage of living T. rexes in our world to study. In a world where they do exist, even if only on some distant continent, someone would have researched rex repellent, and a sufficient library should have some book on the topic. Heck, a druid could just turn into one, and figure out on her own what smelled really bad in that form.

Actually, come to think of it, one of my characters (a ranger) did meet a T. rex, once. I told the DM that, logically, the ranger ability to know what will make an animal less likely to attack, also means that I'd know what would make it more likely to attack (for strategic reasons, I wanted it to be chasing me). He ruled that I lit an arrow on fire and shot it in the nose. And you could probably rule that fire would be loathsome to most animals.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    I don't remember in 2e, but I'm pretty sure it was necessary in 3e.
    Nope it was optional.
    Banishment 3.5
    Arcane Focus
    Any item that is distasteful to the subject (optional, see above).
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Nope it was optional.
    Well, it seems they changed it between 3.0 and 3.5

"To target a creature, the character must present at least one object or substance that it hates, fears, or otherwise opposes"

14. - Top - End - #74

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I'd expect that there would be some smells that would be loathsome to a T. rex. What smell exactly, I have no idea, but given that they interacted with the world primarily through smell, if there's anything that would work, it'd have to be a smell.

That said, there's a severe shortage of living T. rexes in our world to study. In a world where they do exist, even if only on some distant continent, someone would have researched rex repellent, and a sufficient library should have some book on the topic. Heck, a druid could just turn into one, and figure out on her own what smelled really bad in that form.

Actually, come to think of it, one of my characters (a ranger) did meet a T. rex, once. I told the DM that, logically, the ranger ability to know what will make an animal less likely to attack, also means that I'd know what would make it more likely to attack (for strategic reasons, I wanted it to be chasing me). He ruled that I lit an arrow on fire and shot it in the nose. And you could probably rule that fire would be loathsome to most animals.
    We unfortunately don't know enough about dinosaur behavior, but being big solitary predators and scavengers, T. Rexes may have been territorial. If they marked their territory like animals today, urine or some sort of musk from another T. Rex may do the trick.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

The problem could easily be solved by adding a material cost to the component, even if it is small. In this way, spring water is not enough to drive away an elemental, but a very pure water from a rare source would be needed, silver for certain fiends, cold iron for fairies, and the spirit of the spell would be preserved. It wouldn't even need to consume focus, so characters could start a collection of items to banish extraplanars (perhaps giving them disadvantage when using something adverse to that specific opponent, such as "the silver sword that defeated the devil centuries before")

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KaussH View Post
    Weapon bracelets for fighters that can be loaded up with all sorts of weapons to be pulled without cost or effort at any time. Armor earrings that summon your armor, ect...
    AD&D, Rings of Readiness and Bracelet of Charms, Complete Fighter's Handbook. Pity WotC had to get rid of them, but fighters can't have nice stuff.

Re: banishment
    I'm absolutely convinced there's some LG outsider that's sufficently prude to find a succubus distasteful, and since there's no listed cost...

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I miss glove of storing every day.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    "An item distasteful to the target" is remarkably specific to a target you can choose on the fly. You apparently have all sorts of random items and can instantly pick out one that is distasteful to any given target from your spell component pouch without any difficulty! This one screams "you really should have an arcane focus, because the component is nearly impossible to have unless you planned for it specifically."
    A quick pick of the nose and you're ready to go.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    Larloch and Vecna disagree
    They're only mostly dead
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

20. - Top - End - #80

T-Rex's are strictly meat eaters so they should find and apple distasteful.
    It also works on PC and Lunux users
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A small bag of excrement should cover the vast majority of creatures - beasts in general don't like the scent, most humanoids and the effete Fey and even fiends would likely not find it tasteful so therefore it's distasteful to just about everything.

If you find one of the very small number of creatures who like excrement, just have a bar of soap handy.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Most creatures find their own excrement distasteful, but usually don't mind that of other creatures. If that's what you're going with, you'd still need a separate component for every enemy.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics