New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WW/Mafia] Aces & Eights (game start is June 6th)

It's time for a poker tournament! The best players from all over the country are gathering together in the hopes of winning the hundred grand prize! Unfortunately, there's some awful rumors that other tourneys in the area have found evidence of some no-good dirty cheaters conspiring with each other to muscle out the competition and split any prize money, and if you were a gamblin' man, it's good odds they'll be up to the same tricks trying to swindle you out of a payday.

Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    Basic Mechanics
    This is a game of Werewolf/Mafia. It functions somewhat like "Among Us", if you are more familiar with that game.

Prior to the game starting, I will randomly assign roles to players from the lists below. The role you receive will define your win condition and what powers you have (if any). If you are a member of the scum team, you will start the game in secret contact with other members of scum team via a group QT, which you can use to discuss strategy without being discovered.

The game will start on a Day Phase; the first Day Phase will last 72 hours, while subsequent ones will last 48 hours. During any Day Phase, all players can vote for who they wish to "lynch" (remove from the game) that phase. Your vote is not set in stone once cast, and you can recast your vote at any time (or even unvote entirely), provided that the phase has not ended. To cast your vote, please bold and color in red the name of the person you wish to vote. It doesn't have to be their forum name proper, or some official "I vote [name]", as long as it's recognizable who you're voting and the formatting has been done.

Vote: AvatarVecna
    I think AV is acting pretty suspicious.
    I scried Vecna as wolf last night
    This particular game's vote mechanics has a difference from normal which I will detail in its own section.

At the end of the day phase, I'll tally votes, and declare how many votes each wagon received. Whichever wagon has the most votes is lynched and can no longer participate in the game publicly or privately (except for Dead Chat, where they can talk with me and anybody else who is already dead). I will then inform the other players of that person's role and alignment. If there was a tie between who had the most votes, the tie will be resolved randomly.

After a Day Phase ends, the game will shift to the Night Phase; all Night Phases will last 24 hours. If you possess a power that lets you target somebody during the Night Phase, this is the time to use it. During this time, the scum team will be able to select a non-scum player to be killed (as well as using whatever other powers they might have as well). After a Night Phase ends, the game will shift to the Day Phase once more.

This cycle will repeat until one of two things happens: either all members of one team or the other is eliminated, or the elimination of all members of one team is inevitable. For example, if you get to a Day Phase with 7 players left (3 town, 4 scum), town has basically already lost, and so a Mercy Rule will be invoked to call the game early instead of making everybody play through the next 120 hours.

Private Communication

For purposes of not flooding my inbox with questions, private communications between players, and power uses, we will be making use of a Discord Server. Communicating via forum PM, offsite communication, or Discord DMs is not allowed (at least not about game anyway). Any communication between players about game is not allowed barring a power that explicitly allows for it (like lovers/masons, for example).

Narrator Confirmation

Narrator confirmation of things will be limited, but the narrator will not lie to you; if you are told a thing by the narrator (such as a death reveal, or an answer on a power interaction), it will be the truth. With that being said:

Bastard-ish Rule

This is a poker tournament. Your ability to expel people from the game is partially a reflection of your skill, but it's also a reflection of accumulated chips. Seven people trying to get one particular person removed from the game can play around that person and use their chips strategically. But if that one person has more chips than all of them combined and plays their cards right, they could outmaneuver their opponents...or just survive the attempted ousting through sheer wealth. A person's chip pile might not reflect their wealth - they could always buy more chips. But the limits of their pocketbook will become apparent when they run out of chips and don't try to get more.

Every player begins the game with a certain number of votes. This number is greater than one. When a player dies, their voting power at time of death will be announced publicly, and will then be distributed by the end of the next phase (so a person who dies during the day phase will have their voting power distributed during the night phase, which is finished by the next day phase, and a person who dies during the night phase will have their voting power distributed during the day phase, which is finished by the next night phase).

Half of this voting power (rounding up) will be distributed either how the dead player wished for it to be distributed upon their death (specified privately prior to their demise), or distributed randomly if they did not express any particular wishes for it. The remaining voting power will be distributed by [REDACTED]. Once distribution is determined, at the end of the next phase I will specify who received voting power from the dead player, but not specify how many they received or what that player's new voting power is.

Here's how multiple votes work:

1) At the end of the day, I will tally the number of un-crossed-out votes from a given player (their Targets). I will compare this to the number of votes they're supposed to get (their Power). All of a player's targets will make it into the Official Vote Count at the end of the day, but only their power will be reflected in the wagons.

2) If their number of Targets and Power is equal, one Power is assigned to each Target.

3) If their number of Targets is greater than their Power, one Power is assigned to their most recent Targets. So if you have three Power and five Targets, only the three most recent Targets actually have votes on them.

4) If their number of Targets is lower than their power, their Power is evenly distributed between all targets, with any remainder biasing towards the most recent Targets. So if you have seven Power and three Targets, your targets will receive 3/2/2 votes, with your most recent Target getting three votes.

All that being said, any vote manipulation comes from the player's ability to disguise their vote power, but there is not actual vote manipulation. If the game starts with fifty-two votes in play (for example), then there will always be fifty-two active votes, and none of them are assigned secretly, where someone is publicly not voting someone while privately voting them. Voting power cannot be created or destroyed by any means, and all cards will be on the table at the end of the day phase.

Roles

Everybody will have a specific role. Not all roles are specified here, and not all roles specified here are guaranteed to be present. Roles might appear more than once, but don't expect this unless the game gets particularly large. There may be neutrals, but not necessarily.

You are the Banker, an honest player.

You can lie about your finances pretty easily at the poker table, but you can hardly lie to your bank without stuffing the money under your mattress or something, and what kind of paranoid bastard does that?

Your starting vote power is [REDACTED]. Every night phase, you may investigate one player, learning their current vote power. Once per game, at any time, you may target one player who died at the end of the previous phase; instead of their willed votes being distributed by their choice or random chance, you get to decide how those votes are distributed.
    You are the Card Counter, an honest player.

You're not a cheater, honest! You've just got a head for numbers, a lot of experience with the game, and maybe a slight mental tick that makes you notice these kinds of things more often than most folk. But you know how often cards are showing up, and can tell when someone's luck is...shall we say, statistically unlikely.

Your starting vote power is [REDACTED]. Every night phase, you may scry one living player (learning whether they are a cheater or not).
    You are the Deputy, an honest player.

You were just another poker player taking part in the tourney when the sheriff approached you. He doesn't wanna sabotage your game or nothin', but he's mighty concerned about cheaters conspiring together, and you've got a good reputation. If anyone's cheating, he wants you to sniff 'em out. To that end, you've got the local law enforcement on your side, and have been deputized with the ability to arrest people, removing them from the game no matter how many chips they've got.

Your starting vote power is [REDACTED]. Every night phase, you may bane one living player (protecting them from the mafia's factional kill, but not from any other powers). Once per game, during any phase, you may have one living player arrested (declared privately); at the end of the phase, they will be removed from the game as if they had been voted out.
    You are the House, a neutral third party.

The folks running the tournament have their own inside man competing. You don't particularly care about the cheaters - catching them is kinda your job, sure, but it's also kinda the sheriff's job. You're running a business, and your real job is making money. Your real job is ensuring that the house always wins.

Your starting vote power is [REDACTED]. Every night phase, you may investigate one player (learning their current voting power). Twice per game, at any time, you may target one player who died at the end of the previous phase; instead of their non-willed votes being distributed by [REDACTED], you get to decide how those votes are distributed.

Win Condition: [REDACTED].
    You are the Outlaw, a no-good dirty cheater.

You've got a short fuse and an itchy trigger finger. It ain't your fault you cheat, everybody's always lording their experience over you. Maybe with some friends to conspire with, you can at least break even at one of these things for once. And if not...well, always room for another notch on your pistol.

Your starting vote power is [REDACTED]. Every night phase, you may eyeball one player. If you die in the night, so do they. [REDACTED].

Player List:
    1. Xihirli
    2. 3SecondCultist
    3. Benoojian
    4. bladescape
    5. Book Wombat
    6. CaoimhinTheCape
    7. flat_footed
    8. Illven
    9. JeenLeen
    10. Lady Serpentine
    11. Levitate
    12. Persolus
    13. Snowblaze
    14. Taffimai

Substitutions:
    1. Batcathat
    2. Rogan

Spectators:
    1. Caedorus
    2. Let'sGetKraken
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2023-06-05 at 11:38 PM.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [WW/Mafia] Aces & Eights

Full House? I'm in
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In. Have not read the setup. Will actually have time to play this, though!
    I'm writing stuff, come and read it!
    Werewolf games won: 24
    Werewolf games lost: 14
    Games as town: 23.5
    Games as neutral: 5.5
    Games as wolf: 9
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 17

Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

This game isn't really starting in October is it?
    I'm in, but confused

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    This game isn't really starting in October is it?
    I'm in, but confused
    I just found a good-looking old-timey poster for a poker tournament. The game will be starting in approximately two weeks.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6

ClericGuy

Default Re: [WW/Mafia] Aces & Eights (game start is June 6th)

This setup will make counting votes significantly harder.

I'm not sure if I want to play, so put me down as replacement ATM.
    A question, will an arrest by the deputy count as dying for the outlaw?
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

This setup will make counting votes significantly harder.

I'm not sure if I want to play, so put me down as replacement ATM.
    A question, will an arrest by the deputy count as dying for the outlaw?
    Yes. Arrest is the fluff, but it's a vig power.

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8

ClericGuy

Oh, follow up: if used during the day, will there be the arrest in addition to the elimination, or instead of it?
    Show
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, follow up: if used during the day, will there be the arrest in addition to the elimination, or instead of it?
    In addition.

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10

This seems incredibly cool but sadly I am on vacation from June 10th to 25th so I will have to spectate.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

11. - Top - End - #11

I'll also be on vacation in June but I'm a madman.

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm in.

Also, what does "ftr" mean? I've seen that acronym a few times in the latest game.
    I feel like programming a Monte Carlo simulation to go through vote count scenarios. I am sure I won't have time, but it sounds fun to do.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'm in.

Also, what does "ftr" mean? I've seen that acronym a few times in the latest game.
    I feel like programming a Monte Carlo simulation to go through vote count scenarios. I am sure I won't have time, but it sounds fun to do.
    For The Record

14. - Top - End - #14

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I probably won't program anything for this.
    I also think it's hard to count the votes (by the human operator), cause you would constantly have to go back to check old votes, to see if they were crossed out.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I probably won't program anything for this.
    I also think it's hard to count the votes (by the human operator), cause you would constantly have to go back to check old votes, to see if they were crossed out.
    Yeah I'm expecting it's gonna take me a hot minute to count votes, and I'm gonna have to open each page of the game simultaneously to make no post-EoD changes reach my eyes.

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Yeah I'm expecting it's gonna take me a hot minute to count votes, and I'm gonna have to open each page of the game simultaneously to make no post-EoD changes reach my eyes.
    So what you mean is that this is the right game to need a second thread. Cmon, folks!
    Still debating on wether or not to enter.
    Last edited by Caedorus; 2023-05-23 at 01:01 PM.
    Quotes
    I play W/W Mafia! I still claim I was Town all along! Believe me!
    Spoiler: Idea stolen from Snowblaze
    Show

W/W games lynched d1: 3
    W/W games played (excludes spectating) total: 9
    W/W games won: 5
    W/W games lost: 5
    W/W games narrated: 0
    W/W games spectated: 4
    W/W games as wolf: 2
    W/W games as Town: 6
    W/W games as Neutral: 1
    W/W games as Other: 0

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

Cowboy-themed mafia?

This sounds like my chance to actually engage in RP.

Count me in!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I will sit and spectate this one. Going to be a busy June so I don't think I'll have time to play, sadly.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Hit me. Right game, right?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

20. - Top - End - #20

I'm in for this game, pardner.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

YOU DIDN'T INVITE ME? IVE BEEN LIKE 80% NICER TO BULBASAURS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

22. - Top - End - #22

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    YOU DIDN'T INVITE ME? IVE BEEN LIKE 80% NICER TO BULBASAURS!
    Well the official position is that AV didn't want to disturb the ongoing game, so if you die you'll find an invitation.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

You know what? I think I will actually try playing in this one after all.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

24. - Top - End - #24

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by illven View Post
    you didn't invite me? Ive been like 80% nicer to bulbasaurs!
    0 + 80% = 0 :p
    Quotes
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

RedKnightGirl

It is my turn to play
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

26. - Top - End - #26

Aces and Eights, in for the mates.
    Every day...

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

27. - Top - End - #27

OldWizardGuy

I'll watch and laugh at your developing gambling addictions (spectate)
    Quotes
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Reminder there's a discord link in the initial post.

My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll play. Got here from the ad on MU.

30. - Top - End - #30

Oh hey, a new player. Welome to the playground!
    Every day...

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .