New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Bigby Glory of Giants available for Preorder

https://dndstore.wizards.com/us/prod...hysical-bundle

Release date 8/15/23, early access 8/1/23 if you buy the physical+digital bundle.

They only mention the Barbarian subclass in the marketing blurb, which is great and all (yay, we have a non-RK martial option to grapple big things!) but the associated UA had two more - the dino pet druid and the rune wizard. Were they axed? Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: Bigby Glory of Giants available for Preorder

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    https://dndstore.wizards.com/us/prod...hysical-bundle

Release date 8/15/23, early access 8/1/23 if you buy the physical+digital bundle.

They only mention the Barbarian subclass in the marketing blurb, which is great and all (yay, we have a non-RK martial option to grapple big things!) but the associated UA had two more - the dino pet druid and the rune wizard. Were they axed? Ugh.
    I suspect the wizard subclass was indeed axed, as IIRC Craword said it received lots of negative feedback.
    The Druid subclass I’m less sure about; while on the one hand it definitely is not showing up in Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants, or it would be mentioned in the marketing, the whole dinosaur/prehistoric theme doesn’t match up all too well with giants, so we may still see it in one of the last 5.0e products before the revised core rulebooks come out. Judging at least from fora feedback, the consensus seemed to be that it needed some revision but was still quite good, so I hope/doubt WotC hasn’t abandoned it entirely.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    I suspect the wizard subclass was indeed axed, as IIRC Craword said it received lots of negative feedback.
    Got a link for that by any chance? I always like to peek behind the curtain.

My other theory is they both got axed since they wouldn't fit with the upcoming subclass-at-three design.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

So since they're releasing this new Barbarian subclass while they're working on OneDnd, do you think they'll have it be one of the 4 barbarian subclasses?

I hope so, and I'm curious what's changed.

Link to the Giant UA

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boverk View Post
    So since they're releasing this new Barbarian subclass while they're working on OneDnd, do you think they'll have it be one of the 4 barbarian subclasses?

I hope so, and I'm curious what's changed.

Link to the Giant UA
    I dislike the Wizard Runecrafter, since it steps all over Rune Knight.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    The Druid subclass I’m less sure about; while on the one hand it definitely is not showing up in Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants, or it would be mentioned in the marketing, the whole dinosaur/prehistoric theme doesn’t match up all too well with giants, so we may still see it in one of the last 5.0e products before the revised core rulebooks come out.
    That seems plausible. I certainly remember my feedback on that one included questioning why it was included in a Giants-themed UA when it didn't seem to have anything to do with Giants.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

If that Barb subclass goes live as is, that'll be the new king of Barb Damage dealing options.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongobear View Post
    If that Barb subclass goes live as is, that'll be the new king of Barb Damage dealing options.
    I imagine the extra damage might get the "once per turn" language added.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

How so? Mighty impel is neat but beast barbs are already doing the fall damage thing and the bonus damage dice only beat on zealot if you make 3 attacks per round. It honestly looks good but not because it deals damage. It's actually sticky which is nice.

*Mostly because it's directly promotes not taking GWM/PaM.*
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2023-05-26 at 06:04 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Not a fan of the early access thing on a product that was delayed significantly, but hey, at least we're finally getting more content thst isn't an adventure.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    How so? Mighty impel is neat but beast barbs are already doing the fall damage thing and the bonus damage dice only beat on zealot if you make 3 attacks per round. It honestly looks good but not because it deals damage. It's actually sticky which is nice.

they add +1d6 (and later +2d6) to every single weapon attack damage
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't see the early access thing going away, they've been doing it since MPMM (or maybe Fizban's? Tasha's? Too lazy to check) and clearly it's working.

1) While the boost to throwing is nice, the subclass has plenty of synergy with PAM - Elemental Cleaver works with it, and being bigger also promotes a melee build.

2) Speaking of Elemental Cleaver - that gets you +3d6 per round with PAM, upgrading to +6d6 at 14, and that's not counting OAs or Haste. That beats most subclasses including Zealot at most levels.

Ninja'd by Mongobear
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-05-26 at 11:26 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #13

they add +1d6 (and later +2d6) to every single weapon attack damage
    Ok. That's nice but it hardly leaps and bounds above other options. It's slightly ahead of zealot if you RA a lot but that if they pick up a bonus action attack that conflicts with impel which is better damage anyways. (Dropping someone for 3d6 + advantage from prone is a lot safer than trading blows. Also stacks with blender tactics which easily out pace the bonus action attack)

Beast is also right there and have similar abilities to grapple/airdrop without eating up half their attacks.

The strong points is it ability to grapple/shove and yo yo targets. The extra riders are mostly a bonus.

*Assuming 78% chance to hit with adv and PAM cleaver adds~6.8 first round and 10.24 after that. Zealot with same and 1d6+ 3 is ~8 and ~9 respectively. So it's not until the third round that it even pulls ahead and zealot also has *miss* protection and scales gradually. Haven't looked the top end yet but I doubt it's much different*
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2023-05-26 at 11:47 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Pre ordered on Roll 20, I suspect I'll apply some of it in the next campaign.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #15
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

That this is not named "Bigby's Giant Handbook" is a travesty.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16

Even if you view them merely as being "slightly ahead" of the best Barbarian subclass while also offering way more battlefield control/utility than any of them... that still answers your question.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #17

Even if you view them merely as being "slightly ahead" of the best Barbarian subclass while also offering way more battlefield control/utility than any of them... that still answers your question.
    Zealot isn't the best. it's just turn key. Though zealot presence and focus are pretty solid but don't show up in the theoretic side of things. Having ~1 extra damage than the zealot assuming everything works out is hardly saying much of anything. At the high point it has a ~3 lead after the first round. At no point does it pull ahead before the 3 round. Seems pretty balanced to me.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

18. - Top - End - #18

Zealot isn't the best.
    Every subclass tier list for Barb I've seen puts it on top, so we may have to agree to disagree here.

Having ~1 extra damage than the zealot assuming everything works out is hardly saying much of anything. At the high point it has a ~3 lead after the first round.
    I think our math is very different too.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #19

Every subclass tier list for Barb I've seen puts it on top, so we may have to agree to disagree here.

I think our math is very different too.
    Eh. Math isn't hard as everything stays the same besides the 1/round rider vs adding the dice to each attack. Like 1d6+3 static is 7.77/8.97(first round with rage/following turns) with crits at 70% adv and PaM. 1d6 per attack is 3.13 per attack. The zealot scales where the giant doesn't get get a boost until 14 which by this time the zealot is at 12.5/13.9 compared to 6.25. so even at the high points the gap .. isn't.

*70% hit chance is also in the giants favor as it has a higher impact on per hit riders compared to the all in one zealot. You start playing around with different AC ranges it's pretty much a wash. Having a~99% chance to apply the damage vs dealing with the odds on every single attack is a subtle difference that won't show looking at average results in isolation.*

I'm not saying its a bad subclass past my usual complaint that it gets practically zero non rage features but that's pretty normal for WoTC. It's solid and promotes interactions with others which compared to the GWM/Pam drones is leagues better.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2023-05-26 at 12:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Not Bigby's Giant Handjob? I'll show myself out...
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Bigby's Handbook: Giants