New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXII: The scientific method at work!

At this point, I'm pretty much at "C'mon Agatha and Co, get this over with and move the plot along."

2. - Top - End - #752

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    At this point, I'm pretty much at "C'mon Agatha and Co, get this over with and move the plot along."
    on Monday of we are lucky, next up is Cliffhanger Friday.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

By my count, we've got at least 3 updates until the tables are turned

We have to see the Wulfenbach Artillery hitting the Polar Lord (Big panel of the artillery landing, somebody saying "Yeah, that's toasted it!")

Then a page to establish that it didn't work. This could be split with the Polar Lord retaliating.

At the earliest, that's when the sparks show up with a gizmo to turn the tide. Unless they're setting up a Frozen Zombie Horde scenario, and the Wulfenbachs/Brits are going to get overrun and turned into ice zombies for our heroes to fight their way past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #754
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    By my count, we've got at least 3 updates until the tables are turned

We have to see the Wulfenbach Artillery hitting the Polar Lord (Big panel of the artillery landing, somebody saying "Yeah, that's toasted it!")

Then a page to establish that it didn't work. This could be split with the Polar Lord retaliating.

At the earliest, that's when the sparks show up with a gizmo to turn the tide. Unless they're setting up a Frozen Zombie Horde scenario, and the Wulfenbachs/Brits are going to get overrun and turned into ice zombies for our heroes to fight their way past.
    I know it’s Barry’s gag, and that Agatha’s is generally a (bit) more serious storyline, but I would quite appreciate a quick portable claw punch to the big frozen face right about now. Just to liven things up.
    ~Xel

5. - Top - End - #755

Getting some Cthulhu-esque vibes from our commander there, both with his definitely alien form and his talk of the "endless void between the stars". Think it is definitely safe to say that the Polar Lords are not just ordinary sparks.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Grand Duke of the Arcana is going to call them to him, and then attempt to turn them into minions.

The Wulfenbachs thought the Polar Lords were doing this using slaver wasps. It may be they have other, Lovecraftian methods at their disposal.

Or ... plot twist ... The Other learned mind control from the Polar Lords and adapted it, Spark-style, into the slaver wasps. Which may mean that Agatha's anti-wasp potion is going to help.

Also, it's a little odd that Albia didn't give Team Agatha an information dump about these blokes.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2023-11-24 at 08:36 AM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #757

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Also, it's a little odd that Albia didn't give Team Agatha an information dump about these blokes.

It's possible she's well aware that Neena stowed aw... ah.. went freelancing and so left it to her.

8. - Top - End - #758

SamuraiGuy

Gil's (Agatha's) potion does not work against CRAK!.

But a greasy angry Agatha in the Madness Place is a very good sign.

Time for the Grand Duke of the Arcana to discover which league it is that he isn't in.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Kind of makes me wonder how Mekanisburg was defended. I guess they had a lot more than two units of Wulfenbach and a grounded British airfleet going for them. I wouldn't be surprised of Othar's Geisters and the Jaegers are immune to the Krak freeze.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #760

SamuraiGuy

Kind of makes me wonder how Mekanisburg was defended. I guess they had a lot more than two units of Wulfenbach and a grounded British airfleet going for them. I wouldn't be surprised of Othar's Geisters and the Jaegers are immune to the Krak freeze.
    I'm very confident Der Kestle is immune to CRAK!, and probably the Clanks as well. As we saw in the Battle for Mechanicsburg, the defenses of the city extend for miles outside its walls and are sometimes underground. I wonder how a Grand Duke responds to being attacked from below by clanks.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

This kinda shows that even if Othar's "solution" to the spark "issue" would work (it wouldn't), it would be bad.

What do you do if something like this shows up and there are no sparks anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    This kinda shows that even if Othar's "solution" to the spark "issue" would work (it wouldn't), it would be bad.

What do you do if something like this shows up and there are no sparks anywhere?
    That's the thing, innit? If there's no sparks, there's probably nothing like this!

Maybe. We need more info on the Polar Lords and what makes them tick.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    That's the thing, innit? If there's no sparks, there's probably nothing like this!

The creations of Sparks don't go away just because the Sparks die.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Barbarian in the Playground

No sparks, but still raw power sources around, time traveling horrors, and the return of diseases*.
    I think it would be worse, in the long time.

* GirlGeniusVerse is weirdly lacking mundane epidemies. People is usually depicted with all teeth, good or perfect skin, and you'd be challenged to see a single ill person. Should you take a shot for every person coughing not for emphasis, you'd end the day sober.
    Sparks must make wonders for the sanitary system.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

Aside from a possibility that Polar Lords are some eldritch horrors, the first statement might have been true if there never were any sparks. There are already way too many war machines and monsters roaming the countryside freely.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think anything we seen so far would suggest this is a sparky creation. Could be a being affected by a strong power source (not unlike that corrupted Cetecean), a being from another dimension/outer space, or just an extremely powerful creature still native to the planet (once again the Ceteceans come to mind).

But also what others mentioned - removing the sparks doesn't remove what they made from the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

17. - Top - End - #767

SamuraiGuy

I think the original point holds - the Polar Lords do not appear to be the creation of a Spark (It's a Great Day for SCIENCE!) but of magic (Grand Duke of "Arcana").
    Also, we have seen powerful creatures that don't seem to be the work of Sparks. The cetaceans come to mind; but even back at the start of the strip, that monster that was attacking the caravan, and the fire breathing horse, weren't associated with Sparks - they were just out there, roaming the world.

It's possible that Sparks are something that evolved from the human race in response to a world that was very dangerous indeed. Too bad a lot of them are nuts.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think the original point holds - the Polar Lords do not appear to be the creation of a Spark (It's a Great Day for SCIENCE!) but of magic (Grand Duke of "Arcana").
    Also, we have seen powerful creatures that don't seem to be the work of Sparks. The cetaceans come to mind; but even back at the start of the strip, that monster that was attacking the caravan, and the fire breathing horse, weren't associated with Sparks - they were just out there, roaming the world.

It's possible that Sparks are something that evolved from the human race in response to a world that was very dangerous indeed. Too bad a lot of them are nuts.
    The creatures that attacked the Circus were very much Sparky creations - the Baron even recognized the nameplate off the giant spider clank. They’re just ones that escaped or were released.

My feeling is that even the Cetaceans are Sparky creations. They’re just really, really, really old, from a time before even Albia. Ancient civilizations that rose, then destroyed themselves with SCIENCE!, and then their creations vanished into the depths of the ocean and created their own civilization.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The creatures that attacked the Circus were very much Sparky creations - the Baron even recognized the nameplate off the giant spider clank. They’re just ones that escaped or were released.

My feeling is that even the Cetaceans are Sparky creations. They’re just really, really, really old, from a time before even Albia. Ancient civilizations that rose, then destroyed themselves with SCIENCE!, and then their creations vanished into the depths of the ocean and created their own civilization.
    That might be, but we also know that potent energy sources like the Dyne have a significant impact on the local fauna and flora even without any meddling from Sparks. So there might be some creatures not created by sparks. And there are all the denizens of other dimensions they may have their own way of crossing reality boundaries.

20. - Top - End - #770

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

I think the great Cetaceans would remember that once they were ruled by Sparks and mention it when negotiating with dry skins. But, hey, your head canon is a valid as mine.

The point about the Polar Lords being Lovecraftian magic rather than Sparky Science still holds. Of course, there's some corner of the universe where the two combine - a corner only reachable through non-Euclidean geometries while having disturbing dreams in the Witch-House ....

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

(...) Of course, there's some corner of the universe where the two combine - a corner only reachable through non-Euclidean geometries while having disturbing dreams in the Witch-House ....
    The tentacled monster from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I undestood its words. (source)

22. - Top - End - #772
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    The creations of Sparks don't go away just because the Sparks die.
    Not to mention the creators of Sparks.

(This has always been the obvious flaw in Othar's plan - even if he kills every living spark and then himself, new sparks will still be born.)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

23. - Top - End - #773
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Not to mention the creators of Sparks.

(This has always been the obvious flaw in Othar's plan - even if he kills every living spark and then himself, new sparks will still be born.)
    My thought as well. I suspect the natural replacement rate is higher than his elimination rate, and his mission isn’t making a dent.. Have we heard of him succeeding in eliminating even a single spark? Der Kestle is likely more effective, even without seeking out sparks in their own lairs.
    ~Xel

24. - Top - End - #774

Quote Originally Posted by Xel View Post
    My thought as well. I suspect the natural replacement rate is higher than his elimination rate, and his mission isn’t making a dent.. Have we heard of him succeeding in eliminating even a single spark? Der Kestle is likely more effective, even without seeking out sparks in their own lairs.
    I don't doubt that Othar is operating way slower than he needs to in order for his mission to succeed. But, Othar has undoubtedly succeeded in removing a number of sparks - when Agatha first meets him she mentions, his Twitter account mentions removing some sparks, and the general reputation he has among commoners suggests there's a number of other unnamed heroics he's been in.

25. - Top - End - #775

SamuraiGuy

And of course military message couriers use unicycles. Let there be whimsy!

Typo: "On the my mark" is not goodest Englishing.

It appears that Agatha has fired Space Heaters at the Arcana Duke.

26. - Top - End - #776

And of course military message couriers use unicycles. Let there be whimsy!
    I don't have any motivation to binge the archive to find out where, but it's not a new element, the "messenger on an unicycle" thing has appeared before in the comic.

Although whimsical, there can be practical reasons for this: it's lighter than a bicycle and makes sharp corners easier to go through. Also presumably faster to dismount than rollerskates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I don't have any motivation to binge the archive to find out where, but it's not a new element, the "messenger on an unicycle" thing has appeared before in the comic.

Although whimsical, there can be practical reasons for this: it's lighter than a bicycle and makes sharp corners easier to go through. Also presumably faster to dismount than rollerskates.
    I have binged!. Right the way back to the early stories...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

is that the same messenger? Got moved off Castle Wulfenbach to accompany a regiment of ground pounders.

Either that or Klaus picked up a legion of cloned unicyclists at one point.
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #779

SamuraiGuy

is that the same messenger? Got moved off Castle Wulfenbach to accompany a regiment of ground pounders.

Either that or Klaus picked up a legion of cloned unicyclists at one point.
    They are in uniform, so "not large and blond" is a fairly common phenotype.

30. - Top - End - #780

The first print novel also mentions the unicycle messengers, when Wooster first takes Agatha to meet with Gil.

And in real life, they've got motorized unicycles now that can zip along at a very high rate of speed.