New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXII: The scientific method at work!

i am sort of under the assumption that she made a switch, swapped the interior pages with something more banal.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    i am sort of under the assumption that she made a switch, swapped the interior pages with something more banal.
    That would be Smoke Knight level of prowess, but let's concede.
    Why? She is dressed in a way that wouldn't allow to contraband a book so big, and she is positively under imminent death threath. I'm not say it couldn't be, I just find it too much timely, if true.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Humongulous has hammer-space!
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Humongulous has hammer-space!
    We already saw him being a Transformer. He's a multi-purpose clank!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm starting to think Hector has been brainwashed.

Either that, or he has (maybe always had?) an ulterior motive, and has been using obfuscating stupidity to hide it.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

6. - Top - End - #96

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I'm starting to think Hector has been brainwashed.

Either that, or he has (maybe always had?) an ulterior motive, and has been using obfuscating stupidity to hide it.
    Well, if he's dead and brought back - by who? How? What sort of control does the resurrecter gain over the resurrected when using whichever method was used? Professor von Wyrmhaut does not strike me as the sort who would spend much time or money bringing a student back to life. Especially not a dumb one.

And Wyrmhaut is now quite literally the lady riding the tiger. If she were really a studious Professor of legends she'd know that doesn't end well.

BTW, the opposite of "concise" is "garrulous".

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Halfling in the Playground

It is taking Franz longer to come back with whatever he had planned than I thought it would.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

It is taking the Foglios longer to come back with whatever they had planned than I thought it would.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It is taking the Foglios longer to come back with whatever they had planned than I thought it would.
    Our side-story is going on a full year almost! But the pacing is way better than normal, so I don't mind!
    Last edited by BRC; 2023-06-23 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Our side-story is going on a full year almost! But the pacing is way better than normal, so I don't mind!
    I'm...kinda starting to mind. The side story has been far better quality than the other non-canon/semi-canon stories, but spending a year on it is just too much. I want to get back to Agatha and the gang.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I'm...kinda starting to mind. The side story has been far better quality than the other non-canon/semi-canon stories, but spending a year on it is just too much. I want to get back to Agatha and the gang.
    I'll probably start minding in a month or so as the battle for the Iram Solis grows another three subplots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #102

DwarfClericGuy

I might be going crazy, but didn't this whole side plot start because they needed to do a plot review of the continuity corkboard?

In the ultimate irony, we'll reach the point that they've forgotten the results of the review and we'll have to go into another side story to buy them time to redo it!

EDIT: Yeah I was right, see the comic note on this page.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2023-06-23 at 03:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    I might be going crazy, but didn't this whole side plot start because they needed to do a plot review of the continuity corkboard?

In the ultimate irony, we'll reach the point that they've forgotten the results of the review and we'll have to go into another side story to buy them time to redo it!

EDIT: Yeah I was right, see the comic note on this page.
    Yes, that was my point: this "little story" meant to allow them to "stop for a minute" has been going on for almost a year. I just want them to wrap it up quickly, I can't even remember what Agatha and the gang were doing when we left them. Leaving England?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yes, that was my point: this "little story" meant to allow them to "stop for a minute" has been going on for almost a year. I just want them to wrap it up quickly, I can't even remember what Agatha and the gang were doing when we left them. Leaving England?
    Going back to England from Big Rat Island on Bang's father's enhanced airship, with the newly enQueened Monahan and the drained Aliba.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Just tried out the playable demo of the new Girl Genius game on Steam. Took about 1 1/2 hours (86 mins, to be exact), but I wasn't exactly speedrunning...

Spoiler: First Impressions
    Show

The Demo gives us the early section of the castle story, from meeting Saana and Moloch to leaving the kitchen.

Overall? It's ... OK. And while that seems like damning with faint praise, it's the opinion of someone who isn't particularly into this kind of game. I think I will enjoy the full game.

(To forestall the obvious question: I backed the game because it was a Girl Genius game, for much the same reason I back the comic print runs. Given that out of this project I have electronic copies of all the GG novels to date, plus the Buck Godot stories, plus two earlier games from Rain - I'm already well satisfied with the rewards, and the actual game is just going to be icing on the cake. And that's proper royal icing, not that "frosting" rubbish.)

The graphics are decent - the 3D character sprites aren't completely true-to-comic, but are good enough. The 2G graphics in the conversations could have been pulled from the comic. The castle decorations are a nice touch for people who know the comic.

Gameplay is acceptable - My only arguement with the gameplay is the WASD controls combined with the mouse look. I don't like WASD to start with, and the combination makes it really difficult to aim things - the operation takes place in the direction the character is pointing, rather than swiveling the character to match the camera direction. I get the impression that the game is written for someone using a controller rather than a mouse/keyboard combination. It's workable, but not to my personal taste.

Sound and music is OK. The dingbot theme is a little annoying, but it won't be the first game I've turned music off for.

There are lore markers to explain the backstory, but it could still do with an introduction (we will probably get that in the full game - it's a demo, after all.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

16. - Top - End - #106

To be honest, I'm more interested in this little story...

By the way, the demo of the Girl Genius videogame is free on Steam. (EDIT: ninjaed!)

Last edited by Vinyadan; 2023-06-25 at 05:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #107

SamuraiGuy

"Kill them all! KILL!" is the sort of thing that brings stories closer to a denouement. And I'll bet it was the Brother who scored with the book. Possibly Hector.

I mean, poor Hector. Serves faithfully and this is his reward? But now he must switch sides, no?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm suspecting Franz, although I was expecting him to enter with, say, a pillar to adjust the FSMADD with. Or possibly hitting the metal samples and impersonating Hydroargyros again.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

19. - Top - End - #109

Well, if he's dead and brought back - by who? How? What sort of control does the resurrecter gain over the resurrected when using whichever method was used? Professor von Wyrmhaut does not strike me as the sort who would spend much time or money bringing a student back to life. Especially not a dumb one.

And Wyrmhaut is now quite literally the lady riding the tiger. If she were really a studious Professor of legends she'd know that doesn't end well.

BTW, the opposite of "concise" is "garrulous".
    Heh. Thanks, but not quite the antonym I was looking for ... "Garrulous" carries connotations of "speech" for me, and I'm actually considered very quiet irl. Now that I've checked the thesaurus, I wonder if "prolix" might be better, seeing as my problem is more like too much detail to the point of irrelevance. Not familiar enough with the word to be sure, though.
    "Kill them all! KILL!" is the sort of thing that brings stories closer to a denouement. And I'll bet it was the Brother who scored with the book. Possibly Hector.

I mean, poor Hector. Serves faithfully and this is his reward? But now he must switch sides, no?
    Not if he truly believes he's dead already, he's got nothing to lose, right? Well, depending on how much he values his friends.

I was actually wondering if it was Professor von Wyrmhaut was the one who had somehow managed to convince him he was dead, and gained his loyalty at the same time - the two things don't seem all that closely related, which is why I suggested it might be brainwashing. Now, if he were a student even before his first expedition with Vipsania, I'd wonder if she knew that initially. If he had a pre-existing loyalty to the Professor, and doesn't actually believe he's dead, then it would make him more likely to switch sides now.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

20. - Top - End - #110

SamuraiGuy

Heh. Thanks, but not quite the antonym I was looking for ... "Garrulous" carries connotations of "speech" for me, and I'm actually considered very quiet irl. Now that I've checked the thesaurus, I wonder if "prolix" might be better, seeing as my problem is more like too much detail to the point of irrelevance. Not familiar enough with the word to be sure, though.

Not if he truly believes he's dead already, he's got nothing to lose, right? Well, depending on how much he values his friends.

I was actually wondering if it was Professor von Wyrmhaut was the one who had somehow managed to convince him he was dead, and gained his loyalty at the same time - the two things don't seem all that closely related, which is why I suggested it might be brainwashing. Now, if he were a student even before his first expedition with Vipsania, I'd wonder if she knew that initially. If he had a pre-existing loyalty to the Professor, and doesn't actually believe he's dead, then it would make him more likely to switch sides now.
    How stupid is Hector? Does he believe he's a ghost and therefore can't be killed? Is he about to be eviscerated based upon that erroneous assumption?
    Or, conversely, is he truly a ghost and will be able to stand before the FSMADD and let it slash away? Now that would be a plot twist.

And yes, I agree that Wyrmhaut is quite capable of mind control shenanigans.

21. - Top - End - #111

Books are flying. Must be season.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

22. - Top - End - #112

AssassinGuy

was that hanging around in the background in the past panels?
    or did they just skip searching Uncle Hengst earlier?
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2023-06-28 at 01:03 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

23. - Top - End - #113

Maybe "verbose"?

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    was that hanging around in the background in the past panels?
    or did they just skip searching Uncle Hengst earlier?
    I went back and looked, and didn't see it anywhere. It would have been amusing if it was in the umbrella stand in the foyer.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    I went back and looked, and didn't see it anywhere. It would have been amusing if it was in the umbrella stand in the foyer.
    I wonder how unlikely would it be for the mask to be in Franz's stuff all along? Doesn't make much sense in regards to Hydragyrnos, but would explain why he didn't care much for Wyrmhaut wanting it as her share of the hoard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

25. - Top - End - #115

SamuraiGuy

Franz knows how to make an entrance! I wonder how many other items were just destroyed? The gold at least can be pried up and remade into coins or ingots, if it melted.

I also wonder if Wyrmhaut was burned, or if Franz deliberately saved her with a well-aimed book?

The Iram Solis is quite large. I don't think it could have been in Hengst's pocket or backpack. The headpiece alone is more than a foot across.

And, of course, hammerspace, it could have been inside a matchbook for story purposes.

26. - Top - End - #116

RedWizardGuy

So, who else finds themselves wondering if the cat is the most dangerous member of the team?

27. - Top - End - #117

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    So, who else finds themselves wondering if the cat is the most dangerous member of the team?
    nope, that’s a given.
    * my emphasis

28. - Top - End - #118

SamuraiGuy

Note to Professor von Hautwyrm: even in Girl Genius, action economy is a thing. You just announced your intention to kill everyone in the room. If you are given the Iram Solis, there's no reason to believe you won't proceed to kill everyone. There's a lot of people in the room who can probably do something about that.
    1. An actual dragon
    2. A librarian-thief whose pet cat you are threatening
    3. A rather capable monk
    4. A spark with a fire wand
    5. The probably lethal feline
    6. Hector, who may finally realize that you're not on his side

The odds that none of them can do anything to disarm you, stun you, kill you, or send you to an alternate dimension to discuss morality with the Dreen is pretty low.

I expect Hautwyrm to be dead by Friday July 7th, our world.

EDIT: Worth mentioning was von Mekken's vow of protection for Franz when he left. Even if she gets out of this dungeon alive, the entire Jager army wants her dead. Agatha Heterodyne wants her dead. Someone is suffering from a too-high opinion of themselves.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2023-06-30 at 10:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, at this point, i want her dead.

Which happens rarely, but, you know. She earned it.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

30. - Top - End - #120

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adaon Nightwind View Post
    Well, at this point, i want her dead.

Which happens rarely, but, you know. She earned it.
    from a „you won’t shoot me - gets shot“ collection on Youtube:
    Q: „What are you gonna do? Shoot me?“
    A: „I wasn’t going to, but you kinda talked me into it.“
    - shoots him
    * my emphasis