New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXII: The scientific method at work!

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    Is "Hector is really a ghost" a theory that anyone actually believes in? Even if ghosts are real in this world, it still seems obvious that Hector isn't one.

Also, Hector's classmates are missing the vital information about Hector's real job.
    It seems more likely that Hector is a thief with Smoke Knight level ability to come and go unnoticed. However, I wouldn't put a plot twist of "The guy who claimed to be a ghost and obviously wasn't actually was" past the Foglios.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Is "Hector is really a ghost" a theory that anyone actually believes in? Even if ghosts are real in this world, it still seems obvious that Hector isn't one.

Also, Hector's classmates are missing the vital information about Hector's real job.
    They aren't even classmates, he came in with Vispania, he's not related to the university at all.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #183

Dense redhead is dense. When the large dragon says "you are doing this" and you aren't a dragonslayer, you do it! He shouldn't have had to come right out and say "fix my clank friend or I will start eating your classmates until you do".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #184

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    They aren't even classmates, he came in with Vispania, he's not related to the university at all.
    Pretty sure we've seen the students refer to Hector as one of them, that they let him say things that will annoy the Professor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dense redhead is dense. When the large dragon says "you are doing this" and you aren't a dragonslayer, you do it! He shouldn't have had to come right out and say "fix my clank friend or I will start eating your classmates until you do".
    Yeah, the negotiating position is not according to the rules of the university, but according to the rules of the dragon.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe she was trying to get herself eaten?
    It's the only explanation I have for this behaviour.
    I mean seriously, telling the dragon he didn't actually eat anyone while basically standing in his maw?
    Either she's terminally stupid or into stuff like that.

Also, did Franz actually have to eat someone or did the threat get through. We will never know...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I mean seriously, telling the dragon he didn't actually eat anyone while basically standing in his maw?
    She's not used to being talked to with veiled threats. Hautwyrm was more direct. And normal people (i.e., neither sparks nor monsters) could ask politely for assistance.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

This is where we use the term "Vore"?

*scribbles note for XXXenophile: Girl Genius edition.*
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2023-07-17 at 03:07 PM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hector is far from the first dead-then-brought-back character to identify as a ghost. Professor Mittlemind did as well.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2023-07-17 at 03:00 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Do we have a good sense on Hector's actual loyalty?

My guess is that he's a Thief who joined Vispana's expedition under false pretenses, planning to swipe the Iram Solus out from under her (Potentially without her noticing, she's interested in the books), who later joined up with Hautwyrm as the most likely to get him in the Vault.

He appeared to be an idiot loyal to Hautwyrm, but we don't know if either or both parts of that were an Act. Pretending to be a Dumb yet capable Minion is a good way to infiltrate a group like Hautwyrm's.

My current guess is that he's not dumb, he was just waiting for a sufficiently distracting moment, and grabbed Hautwyrm because grabbing and vanishing with her was easier and more dramatic than taking the Iram Solus off her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #190

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Do we have a good sense on Hector's actual loyalty?

My guess is that he's a Thief who joined Vispana's expedition under false pretenses, planning to swipe the Iram Solus out from under her (Potentially without her noticing, she's interested in the books), who later joined up with Hautwyrm as the most likely to get him in the Vault.

He appeared to be an idiot loyal to Hautwyrm, but we don't know if either or both parts of that were an Act. Pretending to be a Dumb yet capable Minion is a good way to infiltrate a group like Hautwyrm's.

My current guess is that he's not dumb, he was just waiting for a sufficiently distracting moment, and grabbed Hautwyrm because grabbing and vanishing with her was easier and more dramatic than taking the Iram Solus off her.
    OOOOO. Plot twist!
    The goal was never the Iram Solis nor the gold nor the books. The goal was Hautwyrm herself; this is a kidnapping, and the Iram Solis was just a bonus. Why kidnap Hautwyrm? Oh, the possibilities! Jilted lover, parent of a student she casually let die, dragon doing unto the monster hunter before the monster hunter can do unto him, someone she flunked who is proving to her that they are more capable than she deemed, ....

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    OOOOO. Plot twist!
    The goal was never the Iram Solis nor the gold nor the books. The goal was Hautwyrm herself; this is a kidnapping, and the Iram Solis was just a bonus. Why kidnap Hautwyrm? Oh, the possibilities! Jilted lover, parent of a student she casually let die, dragon doing unto the monster hunter before the monster hunter can do unto him, someone she flunked who is proving to her that they are more capable than she deemed, ....
    I still like my "Hector made a deal with Hautwyrm that was technically fulfilled and he is collected his price (which can be her though she didn't think it was)", but having his goal be stealing Hautwyrm herself is a good twist. I think I need more popcorn.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Hector is far from the first dead-then-brought-back character to identify as a ghost. Professor Mittlemind did as well.
    I don't remember Mittlemind at all, but if Mittlemind was also not a ghost doesn't that just reinforce the point?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Yeah, that book should definitely go on Franz's pile.
    Vip is a great friend.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I don't remember Mittlemind at all, but if Mittlemind was also not a ghost doesn't that just reinforce the point?
    The mad social scientist kept "alive" by the machinery in his innards.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #195

New comic

Yeah, that book should definitely go on Franz's pile.
    Vip is a great friend.
    Should have gone on Franz's pile. Most probably would have been in dispute, as the Corbettites (and probably also the Library) would have wanted to claim it. (ETA, if Hautwyrm hadn't been abducted, she would have wanted it too ... Best not to let it fall into her hands!)

Very quick eye of Vipsania, to pick that one for the sacrifice. And yes, excellent tactical thinking which solved two problems at once.

Not sure why she felt the need to whisper it's title to Franz, though (dotted speech bubbles). The monk had just examined its cover, otherwise what made him say his order would have wanted it?

Phantom of the Opera references continue (underground waterways). I am thinking they're leading up to something.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2023-07-19 at 02:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Phantom of the Opera references continue (underground waterways). I am thinking they're leading up to something.
    That, and I recall some kind of mystery about wells being dry.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    The point is that someone post-revivication claiming to be a ghost is not a new concept in the story, so the point I was responding to is moot even in the story.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Should have gone on Franz's pile. Most probably would have been in dispute, as the Corbettites (and probably also the Library) would have wanted to claim it. (ETA, if Hautwyrm hadn't been abducted, she would have wanted it too ... Best not to let it fall into her hands!)
    Should go on his pile. As in, however they end up determinating everyone's share the dragon hunting guide turned ash should count as part of Franz's.

Because that was a serious favour from Vipsana.
    I don't want to imagine what the loons from the Library would do to her for destroying a book.
    „Lord Scorchmaw claimed it as part of his reward“ seems like a much less risky excuse than „murder cat clank was gonna do murder cat clank things to everyone“.

19. - Top - End - #199

I think the monk had no nefarious plans for the book. He was just going to lock it in a vault (probably with 50 other dragon hunting books).

That book going to the library would have been bad. Librarians seldom work to completely remove books from circulation. They might restrict them a little, but seldom to the level of outright censorship. Hautwyrm would have been able to read that book if she visited the library.

Franz would also have just stuck it in a vault, but he might have let a heterodyne know of its existence. I get the feeling his personal library is not something even the Heterodyne sees very often.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #200

I think the monk had no nefarious plans for the book. He was just going to lock it in a vault (probably with 50 other dragon hunting books).

That book going to the library would have been bad. Librarians seldom work to completely remove books from circulation. They might restrict them a little, but seldom to the level of outright censorship. Hautwyrm would have been able to read that book if she visited the library.

Franz would also have just stuck it in a vault, but he might have let a heterodyne know of its existence. I get the feeling his personal library is not something even the Heterodyne sees very often.
    According to the late Mr. Wooster at least, the Library will "lend any book to any person". Though there have also been indications that you can get on some kind of banned list if you fail to pay your fees and fines.

21. - Top - End - #201

MindFlayer

Ooh, explicit Rocky Horror reference. (Or maybe Charles Atlas, but that's not so fun.)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Agh! The twitch advertisement below the comic lead me to briefly believe Agatha had arrived to sort all this nonsense out.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Barbarian in the Playground

Given how much care and forethought it's creator demonstrated in the past, I'm betting that the Iram Solis isn't waterproof and is now a fancy paperweight.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Given how much care and forethought it's creator demonstrated in the past, I'm betting that the Iram Solis isn't waterproof and is now a fancy paperweight.
    She's gonna be thwarted somehow, there are all sorts of possibilities. It only works with Dragon fire. Hector is actually working for someone else and steals it from her. One of the giant worms appears and eats her.

25. - Top - End - #205

New comic doesn't exactly say how, but in typical Foglio Easter egg fashion ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Back page of the newspaper, with illustration: Discredited Academic Fizzles!
    Which makes me wonder how Hautwyrm was discredited. Her theory about how to change a dragon was borne out - I'm guessing nobody felt like corroborating her account, though. So what else did she do to lose credibility?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

New comic doesn't exactly say how, but in typical Foglio Easter egg fashion ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Back page of the newspaper, with illustration: Discredited Academic Fizzles!
    Which makes me wonder how Hautwyrm was discredited. Her theory about how to change a dragon was borne out - I'm guessing nobody felt like corroborating her account, though. So what else did she do to lose credibility?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's the sub-heading, the main article is "Embarassing attack of the week". So it sounds like she tried to use the Iram Solis to attack Mechanicsburg and it didn't work, leading to her getting squashed. I'm guessing the discredited part is because of that? I hope we get more details, anyway.

27. - Top - End - #207

MindFlayer

It also looks like Agatha repaired Humongulus, with maybe a few improvements.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

And that Franz brought some destructive criticism to Mechanicsburg architectural choices.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #209

SamuraiGuy

Gotta love The Allseeing Eye, Monster Edition, tying up loose ends.
    It looks like Hector really was working for Hautwyrm, and really was an idiot, and I doubt it would have made the Mechanicsburg papers if Hautwyrm had attacked some other city, so she came with the Iram Solis to take on the most fortified city in Europa. Hector may have been an idiot, but arrogance leads to stupidity that idiots can only dream of.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like Humungulous has been given a medal by Mechanicsburg. You can see it in his left hand on the front page of the newspaper. May have come with a knighthood, or the paper is just playing on his aesthetic.

Considering Humungulous was an out of control destroyer before starting to work with the Corbetites it's rather appropriate for him to have a second home among Mechanicsburg.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.