New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXII: The scientific method at work!

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Considering Humungulous was an out of control destroyer before starting to work with the Corbetites it's rather appropriate for him to have a second home among Mechanicsburg.
    I feel like Agatha learned from watching both the Corbetites and Klaus that giving monsters a job makes them much easier to contain.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2023-07-24 at 07:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #212

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I feel like Agatha learned from watching both the Corbetites and Klaus that giving monsters a job makes them much easier to contain.
    The Monster's Guild may have been helpful in this regard as well. In Mechanicsburg, monsters sell trinkets in shops and so on. They are citizens of the community.

Recall Franz's send-off ritual with the von Mekkens; he's not just a big dumb monster that guards treasure, he's under the protection of the entire city and the Heterodyne family.

There's a fair amount of evidence that one of the best ways to fight real-world terrorism is to give young men jobs and wives. It directs all that energy into socially acceptable paths. Monsters are people, too!
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    There's a fair amount of evidence that one of the best ways to fight real-world terrorism is to give young men jobs and wives.
    That depends ... but that's a RL discussion I want to avoid.

It looks like the good prof expected Grand FLAME! and got a Bic lighter.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    It looks like the good prof expected Grand FLAME! and got a Bic lighter.
    The Iram Solus amplifies flame.

Even assuming that it works on a flamethrower instead of specficailyl Dragonfire, best case scenario for the good professor is that she has a super-flamethrower.

Against a town that has stood for centuries against armies led by all sorts of sparks, and which had almost certainly been warned "hey, a crazy lady with a super-flamethrower is going to try to burn down the town"

Probably got halfway through her rant before getting bonked on the head by a jaeger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Nah, she was at least an OK ranter. I'm pretty sure they'd at least wait to hear out the rant for entertainment's sake. It's not EVERY day the show comes to town on its own. Just every other week.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Nah, she was at least an OK ranter. I'm pretty sure they'd at least wait to hear out the rant for entertainment's sake. It's not EVERY day the show comes to town on its own. Just every other week.
    Mechanicsburg appreciates a good rant. They'll still kill you afterwards, but they will hold fire until the rant finishes. A really good rant might even get them to let you get off the first shot.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

7. - Top - End - #217

SamuraiGuy

It's all because your mama don't dance and your daddy doesn't rant and roll.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

8. - Top - End - #218

Question: Did Hydroargyros have the Iram Solis before the first time he attacked Mechanicsburg?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

9. - Top - End - #219

SamuraiGuy

Question: Did Hydroargyros have the Iram Solis before the first time he attacked Mechanicsburg?
    It wasn't shown in the flashback, and it seems there is a courtesy rule between dragons, as Franz didn't incinerate Hydroargyros with his (presumably full power) flame. Or maybe dragons are simply immune to each other's breath weapon, and the Iram Solis would only have been brought out once the dragon battle had been resolved.

Sudden thought: Franz is smarter than I gave him credit for. He suspected Hautwyrm would attack Mechanicsburg, and she did; now, presumably, the Iram Solis is the property of the Heterodynes. They may let Franz keep it, or it may be in the Castle, displayed as a trophy in the Hall of Really Stupid Attacks on Mechanicsburg. Point being, by letting Hautwyrm "escape" with the tool, he finessed Brother Marcus' claim on it without causing any strife.

Will the Corbetites show up and ask for it? Maybe; not his problem.

10. - Top - End - #220

Sudden thought: Franz is smarter than I gave him credit for. He suspected Hautwyrm would attack Mechanicsburg, and she did; now, presumably, the Iram Solis is the property of the Heterodynes. They may let Franz keep it, or it may be in the Castle, displayed as a trophy in the Hall of Really Stupid Attacks on Mechanicsburg. Point being, by letting Hautwyrm "escape" with the tool, he finessed Brother Marcus' claim on it without causing any strife.

I suspect that if the Corbetites ask for it Agatha will let them have it for a suitable price. Not too high so they feel taken advantage of, but not so low that they don't respect the offer. Agatha will defend what is hers and her retainers with fire and fury, but trophies of idiots attacking the town are dime a dozen.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Maybe? Her Rant of choice seems pretty basic, her thesis is, what, "All Monsters must be destroyed"? That's pretty low-tier as rants go, and won't play well in Mechanisburg.

Sure, she might mix things up, throw in a "My Name will go down in history as the Greatest Monster Hunter Ever!" or go on about the new and exciting fashions she will create using the hides and bones of various famous Mechanisburg Monsters, which the Jaegers would certainly appreciate. Honestly, the best thing she could do is pull out a classic "Show Them All" and start going on about various academic rivals who dared to doubt her, and how once she's wiped this monstrosity of a town off the map she will burn each of them on a pyre made of their own insipid writings.

But from what we've seen of Professor Hautwyrm, letting her finish her rant would be more a matter of pity and courtesy than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Did Franz actually want it in the first place? To him it was a tool, one he usually didn't need. He didn't actually hear about it until Hautwyrm called it for herself, did he?

I seem to recall the initial discussion between Brother Marcus and Vipsania being at least a little hush-hush. Then they told Franz the Corbettites were there to take anything dangerous - and he (grudgingly) agreed, because he was after books, and gold. When Hautwyrm brought it up, he said she would have to talk with Brother Marcus (and they were under duress by then, no actual agreement was struck). So I thought the main contention for the Iram Solis was between the Corbettites and Professor Hautwyrm.

Edit: If I'm right, in today's comic we might see the Iram Solis being handed over to the Corbettites. We have a happy ending for Franz, Vipsania and Lumi onscreen so far - Humungulous and Brother Marcus are friends, I suspect they'll get more than just an Easter egg.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2023-07-25 at 06:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Edit: If I'm right, in today's comic we might see the Iram Solis being handed over to the Corbettites. We have a happy ending for Franz, Vipsania and Lumi onscreen so far - Humungulous and Brother Marcus are friends, I suspect they'll get more than just an Easter egg.
    Well, the Sneaky Gate is up
    Spoiler
    Show
    and even if it happens, won't be today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Well, the Sneaky Gate is up
    Spoiler
    Show
    and even if it happens, won't be today.
    Comic is up now.
    Spoiler: Today's comic
    Show
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

15. - Top - End - #225

SamuraiGuy

Wait - am I to understand that Othar has been trapped inside a small clank? That does seem like an Agatha solution to a psychotic murderer that she is natheless fond of - trap him in one of her mini clanks and give him to Franz.

Or is it just a souvenir trinket that says "It is time for adventure!" like a Heterodyne trinket might say "It's a great day - for SCIENCE!"?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Wait - am I to understand that Othar has been trapped inside a small clank? That does seem like an Agatha solution to a psychotic murderer that she is natheless fond of - trap him in one of her mini clanks and give him to Franz.

Or is it just a souvenir trinket that says "It is time for adventure!" like a Heterodyne trinket might say "It's a great day - for SCIENCE!"?
    See theangelJean's comment:
    Comic is up now.
    Spoiler: Today's comic
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I thought Othar was actually in the chronometer as well, but I think it's just weirdly worded? For anybody else I'd say it's a bad turn of phrase referring to how Othar is missing and all that's left of him is the chronometer. But with all the time traveling stuff from Othar's Twitter account, I'm far more inclined to believe that Othar did wind up trapped inside a clock.

On the against side, I'd also be surprised if the Foglios revealed Othar's fate in a filler side story. The people we've seen in the side stories (other than Agatha herself) have generally been fairly minor characters who can safely be revealed to have survived.

18. - Top - End - #228

WMG theory: Hydroargyros is somehow trapped in the clock.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

19. - Top - End - #229

SamuraiGuy

So Vipsania believed the chronometer to have once been the property of Othar.
    But Franz says that it is Othar, or at least, his voice.
    Maybe this is Franz channeling Humongulous and reminding Vipsania of the fragility of flesh, that you too can die and be remembered only as a trinket.
    Or that's all that's left of Othar - he is inside the chronometer, and his gears are wearing out.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

The 'running off to who knows where,' remark makes me think Othar vanished inexplicably at some point, presumably lost in time during an adventure, a reflection of the timeline of Twitter Othar.

The chronometer is presumably his watch and one of few surviving things he left behind, and as we know Othar loved his theatric heroism hence the watch only saying it's time for adventure.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I thought Othar was actually in the chronometer as well, but I think it's just weirdly worded? For anybody else I'd say it's a bad turn of phrase referring to how Othar is missing and all that's left of him is the chronometer. But with all the time traveling stuff from Othar's Twitter account, I'm far more inclined to believe that Othar did wind up trapped inside a clock.

On the against side, I'd also be surprised if the Foglios revealed Othar's fate in a filler side story. The people we've seen in the side stories (other than Agatha herself) have generally been fairly minor characters who can safely be revealed to have survived.
    We've already seen Othar adventuring with Agatha in a story presumably set after the main story. If that's canon, then we can guess that Othar survives the main story. (I am not sure if it is, but if it isn't, then is this current story canon?)
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

22. - Top - End - #232

We've already seen Othar adventuring with Agatha in a story presumably set after the main story. If that's canon, then we can guess that Othar survives the main story. (I am not sure if it is, but if it isn't, then is this current story canon?)
    All of those early side stories are depicted as radio plays being (re-)told by the Professors, and so any "facts" in them should be taken with at least a grain of salt.

23. - Top - End - #233

MindFlayer

Now, while Franz does have years more of sabbatical time left, and could head out again on adventure, I think this is a good point to end the story.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Now, while Franz does have years more of sabbatical time left, and could head out again on adventure, I think this is a good point to end the story.
    It sounds like they're going for a "the adventure continues!" ending.

Franz Scortchmaw will return!

In: Franz Scortchmaw and the the Lightless Temple: The Search for Othar!

25. - Top - End - #235

SamuraiGuy

Ah, the classic "poke the device until it suddenly works" trope.

I think we now know where Vipsania is going, and maybe Lumi will go with her.

I love the princess with the lizard god sock puppets, and there's lots of fun stuff in the map (Hills of Angst?).

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

I do believe those puppets are the Winslow. Feels like it's been a while since he was referenced.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

27. - Top - End - #237

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I do believe those puppets are the Winslow. Feels like it's been a while since he was referenced.
    I think you're right, which means Serpent God = Winslow.

28. - Top - End - #238

I think you're right, which means Serpent God = Winslow.
    Lizard God. Which makes sense since the Winslow is the fuzzy lizard of love or some such.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I think this is a good point to end the story.
    I fully agree with you there, but the question is: do the Foglios think so too?

30. - Top - End - #240

SamuraiGuy

Lizard God. Which makes sense since the Winslow is the fuzzy lizard of love or some such.
    Yeah, I got it right the first time.

Lizard God of Love seems like what Othar is experiencing there.