New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Creating a 4e Divine Caster of Selune

I was just accepted into my first DnD 4e campaign, and it's focusing on the Forgotten Realms and the Shadowfell. I was wondering if anyone here could make some suggestions about how to make a divine caster of Selune, my favorite FR deity, that might be satisfying and fun?

My heart is set on a shadar-kai, deva, or especially longtooth shifter (why not razorclaw shifter? I just don't like cats). I'd also like to grab one of the Moon Domain feats, or something moon-ish that is specifically related to Selune. Currently, we have 5 players, one of which is set on Controller, and another who is maybe leaning towards Leader, so maybe focus on the Paladin or Avenger classes if you have any ideas.

Although, I would like to know if the Selune Domain Warpriest is any good? I saw that it had a lot of cool radiant powers, which feel like they would be helpful in a world of shadows and undead, but I've heard the Essentials classes can be simpler but weaker.

I'm really looking forward to this. Everything I've seen from 4e feels like an interesting shift away from what I'm used to in 5e. I hope it goes well :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Creating a 4e Divine Caster of Selune

If this is your first game, I would suggest avoiding Moon Touched. I find that dividing classes cleanly will make everyone feel good in their role, and someone in your party is already going to play a Leader. It's also not an amazing feat. Based on that, I would suggest Power of the Moon, which would lean me towards Paladin for 2 reasons:
    • Enfeebling Strike targets AC (whereas Bond of Censure targets Will), and the party is going to target AC more than Will.
    • PotM Paladin incentivizes a Chaladin build which is solid (though see below), while Bond of Censure incentivizes an Int Avenger (Intvenger? Is that something people call it?) which is generally worse than the Dex Avenger and I don't think it is as appropriate to the Avenger fantasy. IMO of course.

Not sure if you've seen this since it's in FRPG instead of Divine Power, but I suggest going with Eyes of Selūne in addition (or instead of) PotM. It's a solid feat that works on anyone, so you can use it on any class to tick the "moon stuff" checkbox, or you can double-down on being a Selūne worshipper by using it alongside PotM. In Paragon Tier it has great synergy with the Paladin feat Hero's Poise... but also Hero's Poise is busted Dragon material, so maybe that shouldn't matter.

Overall, I'd probably recommend Charisma Paladin based on what you've described.

RE: Warpriest - Yes, 100% viable. The most important thing to consider is that they are more on rails than Templars, especially at level 1. I find that to be good for newer players (hot take: Essentials gets a bad rap, don't @ me), but you should base your decision on how much you enjoy the buildcrafting aspect of 4e. As a bonus, a Selūne Warpriest leans a little Defender-y thanks to some of its class features, so you should feel a bit different from whoever your Leader buddy picks.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Creating a 4e Divine Caster of Selune

EDIT: started typing with no other responses in thread, only actually posted next day

I'm not familiar with Warpriest, but I don't believe it's one of the more... lacking classes. Selūne domain seems to be defensively focused, with lots of cold and radiant damage (which are quite optimizable damage types). All your race choices get a bump to Wis but not to Con, so in that regard they're on equal footing for the class.

Avengers and Paladins do have some more caster-ly abilities, but they're mainly oriented around melee weapon combat. If Longtooth Shifter is your preference it can honestly work with any class mentioned. The most obvious fit would be a Paladin focusing on Str primarily and Wis second. It's a little unfortunate in that the damage from the Paladin's marking features depends on Cha, but you can take the Mighty Challenge feat to add Str to Divine Challenge damage. The Power of Moon feat benefit unfortunately applies to Enfeebling Strike, which uses Charisma. On the plus side, at level 7 you can pick up the Crescent Moon power, which is a 1/encounter highly accurate sword beam (moon-shaped, of course).

There doesn't seem to be a lot of Selūne-specific options, but Eyes of Selūne gives you a no-questions-asked save reroll. There's a few Sehanine-specific things you could talk with your DM about if you could take anyway. Most of them are shortbow-oriented, a few aren't.

That's a few examples of things, anyway. Good luck figuring out your character, and I hope you have a good time!