New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Renfield - It's good

I was expecting that no cinema around me would actually show this one, but the indie art cinema put on a midnight showing.

It's good. I think it's very good. In fact, I think it's the first movie I've seen in a long time where I can't think of any criticism. The directing is good. The acting is good. The writing is funny. The soundtrack... I didn't actually notice, so it wasn't bad. The action is the most over-the-top thing I've seen in my life, outside of a very select list of anime. There is so much blood. But in a fun way.

Also, Nicholas Cage is having fun. Which is good. I'm a fan of Cage, and it's been a while since I had the impression he actually wanted to be in a movie he was in. And he's not overdoing it, except for the few scenes where it's very necessary. He somehow manages to occasionally be sutle while wearing ridiculous prostethic fangs and a ton of make-up. And yet, the other actors are all good enough to hold their own against him.

So yeah. No complaints, had a lot of fun, laughed out loud several times, ridiculous amounts of gore and good fight choreography, go see it if that sounds like your thing.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2023-05-26 at 04:03 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Renfield - It's good

My friends and I still to this day break out in giggles when someone quotes Cage from "Vampires Kiss". Seriously. Just wrap your arm in front of you face and dance around saying "I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire!". It's hillarious.

So yeah. I'm looking forward to this film.

3. - Top - End - #3

Hm. I wouldn't compare it to Vampire's Kiss. I love that movie too, but in Renfield, Cage is not the star, the comedy is very different and there's a lot more action. And Cage isn't acting quite that hard.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I quite enjoyed this movie. Nicolas Cage as Dracula is one of those things I didn't know I needed until i learned it existed, and then I had to see it as soon as possible.

This movie knows exactly what it is and doesn't take itself too seriously. It finds the line of silliness to seriousness and treads it very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been wanting to see this but my local theater hasn't had any showings.
    Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Yeah, I had to find the midnight showing at the local arthouse cinema, which is run by a guy I actually know, who's been given pretty much total freedom to show whatever he wants by the boss.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Interesting. It was showing at front-line theaters here so no problem finding a show.

I enjoyed it. Cheesy, over the top, and most importantly everyone feels like they are having fun. That's so important for a movie like this. 4/5.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".