New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIV: What do I need a twenty for, anyway?

Find me three strips in which a (presumably) male character gets hit in the groin. There should be some form of sound effect or commentary to suggest that yeah, it was really that bad.
    I predict that Belkar will not die evil.

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIV: What do I need a twenty for, anyway?

Hmm. #784 last doesn't count, since Belkar does not in fact hit him in the groin.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Seems odd to list comics which don't count, since there's going to be a lot of them.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    Find me three strips in which a (presumably) male character gets hit in the groin. There should be some form of sound effect or commentary to suggest that yeah, it was really that bad.
    Crowds love those; guards don't.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Does Haley shooting Roy in the nuts count? If yes, then OQ.

6. - Top - End - #36

BardGuy

Yes. Those three were my intended answers.

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Taking the OQ:

Find me a single panel with 20 or more pairs of sleeping eyes. Not X'ed out dead eyes; merely sleeping eyes.

8. - Top - End - #38

BardGuy

The unconscious hydra in panel 4. Cleverly worded to not simply say 20 sleeping individuals!

What costs an undefined amount, but less than 5,000 gp?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

The unconscious hydra in panel 4. Cleverly worded to not simply say 20 sleeping individuals!

Teleport Scrolls.

There are many categories of violence to go along with the degrees of violence - legal, illegal, justified, petty, etc. What's one category of violence that Belkar insists on having a share of when it presents itself?
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-06-06 at 05:39 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    There are many categories of violence to go along with the degrees of violence - legal, illegal, justified, petty, etc. What's one category of violence that Belkar insists on having a share of when it presents itself?
    The sweet, leader-approved sort!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I looked mostly at destroyed property and the like, I didn't even think to look for standardized magical items; in my mind, that scroll costs 1125 GP. Of course, it could be sold for less or more, but in the "how much those cost" sense, that's the price.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

12. - Top - End - #42

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    I looked mostly at destroyed property and the like, I didn't even think to look for standardized magical items; in my mind, that scroll costs 1125 GP. Of course, it could be sold for less or more, but in the "how much those cost" sense, that's the price.
    I think you sometimes cross the line of thinking people playing this trivia also play real D&D (other reason I think that). Nowhere in any strip is the cost of that scroll specified.

Curiosity killed the cat. Find an example of a disease that is particularly dangerous to the curious.

13. - Top - End - #43

Curiosity killed the cat. Find an example of a disease that is particularly dangerous to the curious.
    The Vaporizing Flu. Sadly, it is not known to have actually killed cats.

14. - Top - End - #44

BardGuy

Why sadly? Do planties have a reason to dislike cats? Huh?

15. - Top - End - #45

Why sadly? Do planties have a reason to dislike cats? Huh?
    This planty likes birds. Hating cats is part of that package.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I assume you either mean non-indigenous feral or outdoor housecats, or that you also hate many birdies as well.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I assume you either mean non-indigenous feral or outdoor housecats, or that you also hate many birdies as well.
    Well, as a domesticated species spread by humans all around, housecats are not particularly indigenous anywhere as far as I'm concerned, but so far as they are safely segregated from cute little things they can surplus murderize, I could settle for an uneasy truce with them, I suppose.

18. - Top - End - #48

Well, as a domesticated species spread by humans all around, housecats are not particularly indigenous anywhere as far as I'm concerned, but so far as they are safely segregated from cute little things they can surplus murderize, I could settle for an uneasy truce with them, I suppose.
    Just off the top of my head, Norwegian Forest Cats are indigenous to Norway (likely the forests).

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Just off the top of my head, Norwegian Forest Cats are indigenous to Norway (likely the forests).
    A cursory search tells me that their earliest ancestors were introduced to Norway by humans in the previous millenium, and they are specifically Norwegian only insofar as they then interbred with other breeds of cats, likewise introduced to Norway by humans, but generally at an even later point. Meh.

Meanwhile, actually native felines like the European wildcat are steadily competed and assimilated into oblivion by [drumroll] housecats.

20. - Top - End - #50

BardGuy

Oh yeah? Find me a bird who really likes a cat!

21. - Top - End - #51

Oh yeah? Find me a bird who really likes a cat!
    Look, the bigger ones are usually less of an issue in that way.

22. - Top - End - #52

BardGuy

OH YEAH? Tell me about someone who probably did get killed by a big cat. And for bonus points, prove to me that this someone wasn't a bird. Oh wait, you can't!

23. - Top - End - #53

OH YEAH? Tell me about someone who probably did get killed by a big cat. And for bonus points, prove to me that this someone wasn't a bird. Oh wait, you can't!
    One can hope, though!

24. - Top - End - #54

ClericGuy

What can magic fingers be a good substitute for?
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

25. - Top - End - #55

I don't want to think too much about this one.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

What, if anything, is between a man's femurs (according to the demon roach).

Find me two visible signs that someone has class levels or is a player character.
    (I was ninja'd by the plantie, but I take the OQ if it is indeed available).
    Last edited by Coppercloud; 2023-06-06 at 02:32 PM.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

27. - Top - End - #57

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    What, if anything, is between a man's femurs (according to the demon roach).

Find me two visible signs that someone has class levels or is a player character.
    It's Meta. If he doesn't ask a question in his reply, assume the flower left it as OQ.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    [Evil laughter.] But seriously, we're talking about me. Of course it's available!

Equipment and giant bat creatures from the pit of Tartarus.

29. - Top - End - #59

BardGuy

Find a strip where someone doesn't know my name and another one where that same someone does.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Find a strip where someone doesn't know my name and another one where that same someone does.
    Is this enough evidence for not knowing his name? Because if so, there are plenty of data showing that she later does.

I think you sometimes cross the line of thinking people playing this trivia also play real D&D (other reason I think that). Nowhere in any strip is the cost of that scroll specified.
    Hmm. Interesting. I guess I've always thought of D&D 3.5 being part of the story, when and if it is explicitly mentioned and shown to be relevant. WBL and standardized prices are explicitly mentioned, so to me, they're part of the story.

Like, I get that assuming knowledge of 3.5 to ask a question is wrong. Clearly, I shouldn't ask you to show me a beast-heart adept (oona). Do we go even further than that? If I ask you to show me Durkon casting a spell with variable effects depending on character level (holy word), would that not be a legitimate question? Even though we clearly see the effect, and it is communicated as such, the lack of explicit mention in the text of HD makes it wrong to ask? Perhaps. I think that was the logic my track question relied on, and maybe that's out of bounds too.

But to me, there's still a difference between "not asking about the 3.5 layer of the story" and "ignoring the 3.5 layer of the story". Pricing of magic items is just part of that layer. Like, I don't know, reach. We know (from the text) the half ogre with the spiked chain from strip 216 has a reach of 15 ft. If someone was to ask "show me a strip with a weapon we know the reach of, and a weapon we don't", 216 wouldn't be a valid answer, even though the text doesn't explicitly tell us roy's sword has a normal medium melee 5 ft reach. Because it would be asking a question about the 3.5 layer of the story, while ignoring its context. It's like the difference between not assuming knowledge of Monty Python for the weapon shop skit (right) and assuming its irrelevance while asking about that layer of the story (wrong?)
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2023-06-07 at 03:35 AM.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)