Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Murder on the Orient Express

Link to the recruitment thread

Spoiler: Intro
    Show

Welcome, traveller, aboard the sleeper car of the Orient Express!

Whether in a first or second class berth, you have chosen to travel in style:

When not enjoying the comfort of your private compartment, our professional staff welcome you in the dining car, where you may enjoy our culinary delights served three times a day or simply relax with your newspaper and cigar in the luxury of the lounge:

Whatever your destination, we are most gratified that you have chosen to join us on your journey!

This is a game of forum mafia for up to 15 players. They will take the place of one of the characters from Agatha Christie's novel, and will each receive a secret via discord. This could be a secret identity, something embarrassing from their past, or the fact that they are a criminal. They will also each get a secret win condition tied to this secret that will allow them to win even if their team loses. Teams are criminals (aka "wolves") versus non-criminals (aka "town"). Some players might be neutrals, which means they don't belong to either team and can only win by fulfilling their secret win condition and leaving the game.

Gameplay will be divided in two phases: day phases that last 48 hours (72 for the first day) and night phases that last 24 hours. During the day, players can vote for who they think are criminals, and at the end of the day the person with most votes is removed from play (though they will be invited to join the deadchat in discord). During the night, players have the following options:
    • stay in their compartment, which has the benefit that nobody can search it (this is the default action if you don't choose another)
    • try to search someone else's cabin and learn about their secret
    • observe someone else's compartment, which lets you find out whether that player stayed or not, or the identity of one other person who tried to enter
    • plant evidence (criminals only)
    • kill another player (criminals only, one per night)

The game ends when one of the following is true:
    • All of the living players have fulfilled their secret win condition
    • Half or more of the living players are criminals
    • All of the criminals have been voted off or killed
    Spoiler: Example
    Show
    Mister Samuel Edward Ratchett You are an american businessman travelling with your secretary/translator and your english valet. You are a rich man - very rich indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Discord
    You are: Town. Lately you have been receiving threatening letters. You have engaged a detective agency to look into the matter and ensure your safety, but clearly they aren't up to the task.

Secret wincon: Find the one who has been sending you these letters and bring them to justice. If you search the correct wolf player's compartment, you will find conclusive evidence that they are the one who has been threatening you. If you do this before they are killed/eliminated, your secret win condition is fulfilled.
    Spoiler: Mechanical Details
    Show
    • The criminal night actions (kill and plant evidence) can be multitasked with other, innocent actions, but may be subject to restrictions only the criminals will know.
    • If two players try to search the same compartment, they will not do so but learn eachother's identity instead.
    • If three or more players try to search the same compartment, they will instead learn the identity of one of the others.
    • When observing, a player only ever learns one piece of information, even when there are several to be had.
    • When searching someone's compartment, you will learn a hint at their secret, not the exact text.
    • These hints are unique, so searching someone's compartment on consecutive days will yield different information.
    • Wolves can plant evidence in eachother's compartments.
    • Feel free to ask about scenarios, this is not an exhaustive list.

Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    • Roleplaying your character is encouraged, but not required!
    • Players should not talk (post in the game thread) during the night phases.
    • Players who claim their secret or anything related can no longer fulfill the associated wincon.
    • Do not quote directly from your private channel(s) on discord. Paraphrasing is fine.
    • Do not communicate with the other players in other ways than intended. This includes PMs, chats outside of the game, ciphers or any other forms of communication may disrupt the balance of the game.
    • Do not edit posts other than to strikethrough your old votes or correct pronouns.
    • This is not a bastard game. Flips are truthful, and I will not lie (though mistakes are possible)
    • Do not belittle other players or their play.

Spoiler: The Cast
    Show

Monsieur Bouc You are one of the directors of the belgian Compagnie des Wagons-Lits that operates the Orient Express line. Right before embarking you met with an old friend, Detective Hercule Poirot, who was going the same way, but alas this train was fully booked!

Played by: Xumtiil
    Mrs. Caroline Martha Hubbard You are widowed and returning to the US from your first visit to your adult daughter and her family. She and her husband are on the staff of a big american college in Smyrna and you must have shown the picture of your grandchild to everyone on the train with eyes to see.

Played by: Caoimhin
    Count Rudolph Andrenyi You are attached to the hungarian embassy in Paris, where you are returning after a belated honeymoon. You own a country estate in Hungary and are absolutely devoted to your beautiful wife.

Played by: Rogan
    Countess Helena Maria Andrenyi - née Goldenberg. You were married little over a year ago and are enjoying life in the highest social circles at your husband's side. Both of you have diplomatic immunity, so this investigation is little more than a diversion.

Played by: Murska
    Princess Natalia Dragomiroff You are returning to Paris with your german lady's maid, Fräulein Schmidt, after a visit to Constantinople. Your late husband realised all his money before the Revolution and invested it abroad.

Played by: BloodyMagpie
    Cyrus Bethman Hardman You are a travelling salesman for typewriting ribbons from New York, here on business. The only reason you can afford a first class compartment is because the firm pays your travelling expenses.

Played by: Wombat
    Colonel John Arbuthnot You are on leave from India and have spent three days in Baghdad to visit a friend. The current delay is most inconvenient for you, seeing as you need to make your connection to London.

Played by: Luizeu
    Doctor Stavros Constantine You were last to join the train when it merged with the one from Athens. You have examined the body and were able to assist some of the more nervous ladies with sedatives and sleeping draughts.

Played by: Kraken
    Antonio Foscarelli You are an enthusiastic sales agent for Ford motor cars. Born italian, you are now a naturalised american subject - it is better for business. You pride yourself on having travelled all over the United States - New York, Clevelant, Chicago, Detroit! You are currently on your way to Milan for an important meeting.

Played by: Persolus
    Hildegarde Schmidt You have been in loyal service to her Excellency for fifteen years, and hope to serve her for many more. She wholly depends on your massages to make her rheumatism somewhat bearable, and you often read her to sleep.

Played by: Caedem
    Hector Willard MacQueen You were employed by Mr. Ratchett little over a year ago in Persia when he impulsively fired his former secretary in the hotel where you were staying. You are fluent in english, french, italian, arabic, and persian. The job paid well and involved a lot of travel.

Played by: The Commander
    Edward Henry Masterman You were Mr. Ratchett's valet and take great pride in your profession. All your previous employers can be counted on to vouch for your character. Unfortunately you are suffering from a toothache.

Played by: Bladescape
    Greta Ohlsson You are a swedish nurse who has been working as a matron in a missionary school near Stamboul these past years, but you are now on your way to visit a sister in Lausanne. You are much looking forward to seeing your nieces and nephews again.

Played by: AvatarVecna
    Mary Hermione Debenham You are travelling from Baghdad, where you are currently employed as a governess to two children, to London. You would love to find a suitable position closer to home. Or, indeed, a husband.

Played by: JeenLeen
    Pierre Michel You live in Calais and have worked as a Wagon Lit conductor for the CIWL for many years. It is your duty to ensure all luggage is brought to the right compartment, to make the guests' beds and to answer when they ring their bell - usually because they want you to fetch something.

Played by: Batcathat

Useful links:

Day One Start First VC Second VC End
    Day Two Start First VC End
    Day Three Start First VC End
    Day Four Start First VC End
    Day Five Start First VC End

Spoiled list with all wincons and night actions.
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2023-07-11 at 12:31 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #2

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Murder on the Orient Express

Dear Hastings,

Once more I have reason to wish that you had travelled into the Orient with me, and once more I shall meticulously chronicle my case for your benefit as much as my own. Where to begin?

Ah yes, the gloves! Why, Hastings, would a man buy a set of gloves that are the wrong size, and especially when he already has a perfectly good pair in the same style? This is what first drew my attention to the poor wealthy American who so regrettable found his end last night. For yes, Hastings, this is a murder case!

We set off yesterday, very punctually I might add, for Italy, only to find ourselves standing still somewhere between Vincovci and Brod in the middle of the night. Too much snow has fallen onto the tracks and we must wait for a special car to come and dig us out. Unfortunate, you will say, but also a likely risk when travelling this way at this time of year. Yes, you were right.

The next morning, we discover the body of that same gentlemen with the odd gloves. Fortunately for us, there is a doctor on the train who can examine it and tell me the man was killed sometime after we were forced to stop. A strange timing for a murder, is it not? The weapon was a dagger, not one of those cheap affairs they sell in every souk, but one with a thin, straight blade that got bent on the victim's sternum - or so the doctor tells me.

What is more, Hastings, I thought that perhaps our murderer would have wanted to make use of the train standing still to get off safely and flee on foot, so I walked back along the tracks, but no sign of it. They must still be aboard the train, one of the passengers!

And let me tell you something, Hastings, I suspect that this foul knife in the dark was far from the only crime that was committed last night.

Day One ends in ~72 hours from this post.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2023-06-30 at 06:16 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Normally I base my placeholder vote on someone who killed and/or tricked me last game, but since I was a wolf in DoW2 I decided to use the much more scientific method of evaluating whose picture looks the most suspicious, which lead me to Book Wombat. Ribbon salesman? Clearly a cover for nefarious deeds.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2023-06-28 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Vote begone!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

A murder on my train! How horrid!

We must get to the bottom of this quickly. Honestly, I am eyeing Caedem. Looks like a human, but for some reason has a certain... unnatural sweetness to them.
    Last edited by Xumtiil; 2023-06-27 at 02:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Xumtiil gets to be the new person on my "person I can trust as vig" list. They are the only name on the list, currently.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

This delay is surely very inconvenient, otherwise, I'll lose my connection to London

Isn't voting on Murska the default for day 1? Or have we stopped doing that?
    Last edited by Luizeu; 2023-06-27 at 04:57 PM.
    Darn it Whisper !

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

I am Hector Willard MacQueen

Mr MacQueen paces quickly forward and backward within the dining car, cursing to himself in a variety of languages; having just been informed of his employer's murder.

"And no-one saw anything? Heard anything? Perhaps Mr Ratchett spent some time in the lounge with one of our female co-passengers, late last evening?"
    Last edited by The Commander; 2023-06-26 at 07:50 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

OldWizardGuy

Oh bother! Now Her Majesty must wait! I can't imagine what she must think. All alone, in pain from her rheumatism, she must scour the news for a trace of me. I can only hope this delay is sorted as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, OOC...
    Let's generate discussion.
    Xumtiil

​How dare you be right!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    I am Hector Willard MacQueen

Mr MacQueen paces quickly forward and backward within the dining car, cursing to himself in a variety of languages; having just been informed of his employer's murder.

"And no-one saw anything? Heard anything? Perhaps Mr Ratchett spent some time in the lounge with one of our female co-passengers, late last evening?"
    Are you implying something about our female passagers, mister?

- - - Updated - - -

Note: Yes, I now realise that her Exellency is in fact aboard. You can ignore my roleplay from earlier.
    Sorry, Magpie!
    Last edited by Caedorus; 2023-06-29 at 06:29 AM. Reason: strikethrough
    Quotes
    I play W/W Mafia! I still claim I was Town all along! Believe me!
    Spoiler: Idea stolen from Snowblaze
    Show

W/W games lynched d1: 3
    W/W games played (excludes spectating) total: 10
    W/W games won: 6
    W/W games lost: 5
    W/W games narrated: 0
    W/W games spectated: 4
    W/W games as wolf: 2
    W/W games as Town: 6
    W/W games as Neutral: 2
    W/W games as Other: 0

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caedorus View Post
    Oh bother! Now Her Majesty must wait! I can't imagine what she must think. All alone, in pain from her rheumatism, she must scour the news for a trace of me. I can only hope this delay is sorted as soon as possible.

Note: Yes, I now realise that her Exellency is in fact aboard. You can ignore my roleplay from earlier.
    Sorry, Magpie!
    Hmmph! I see someone had one too many brandies after dinner last night.

I vote for Persolus. Everyone knows Italians are all communists or fascists.

(In character, that is an in-character remark!)

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyMagpie View Post
    Hmmph! I see someone had one too many brandies after dinner last night.
    Well, I can't remember last night. Good thing I'm used to having a headache around you-
    wait, did I say that out loud?
    Quotes
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

A- a murder? That's terrible! And on top of this delay?

Countess Andrenyi shakes her head, looking nervously around before she spots the Count.

"Rudi!" She approaches with quick steps, taking hold of his arm. "They say the culprit is still on board! How dreadful!"

Struck through with a dagger? Sounds like something an Italian might do. Like that shifty-looking fellow, Foscarelli (Persolus). Oh, hopefully they can sort this out quickly and continue on to Paris.
    Last edited by Murska; 2023-06-28 at 03:40 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

11. - Top - End - #11

Zombie

Hector Willard MacQueen

Are you implying something about our female passagers, mister?

"I have no desire to speak ill of the dead - or the living for that matter - but my employer often enjoys... *ahem* enjoyed... female companionship. I would have expected Mr Ratchett to have spent at least some personal time with one, or even several of, our dear female passengers. I am not accusing you, or any of the other passengers of anything; yet. But it strikes me that you may be amongst the last people to see Mr Ratchett alive. Ah, but where are my manners, I am Hector MacQueen, personal secretary to the late Mr Ratchett. And you would be?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Hector Willard MacQueen

"I have no desire to speak ill of the dead - or the living for that matter - but my employer often enjoys... *ahem* enjoyed... female companionship. I would have expected Mr Ratchett to have spent at least some personal time with one, or even several of, our dear female passengers. I am not accusing you, or any of the other passengers of anything; yet. But it strikes me that you may be amongst the last people to see Mr Ratchett alive. Ah, but where are my manners, I am Hector MacQueen, personal secretary to the late Mr Ratchett. And you would be?"
    Mon dieu, such an insult to these ladies and this enterprise! Do you think I run a.. a bordel on rails? Non non non, this will not stand. I invite you to retract your remarks immediatement.

It would be much better use of your time to speculate about who would want your employer dead... Other than yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Xumtiil gets to be the new person on my "person I can trust as vig" list. They are the only name on the list, currently.

13. - Top - End - #13

Zombie

Hector Willard MacQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    Mon dieu, such an insult to these ladies and this enterprise! Do you think I run a.. a bordel on rails? Non non non, this will not stand. I invite you to retract your remarks immediatement.

It would be much better use of your time to speculate about who would want your employer dead... Other than yourself.
    "I meant no disrespect to your enterprise, Monsieur; nor any disrespect to the fair ladies gathered here. My sincerest apologies."

Hector bows respectfully.

"Mr Ratchett was very good to me. He paid me well, and allowed me to travel to many luxurious places as his secretary. I understand you must suspect me, as someone close to Mr Ratchett, however I am now considerably poorer without a salary and must now try to find employment elsewhere. If I wished Mr Ratchett dead, I would certainly not kill him on this trip!"

Hector sighs deeply.

"I simply wish to find his murderer. As someone who spent a lot of time with him over the last year, I was privy to most of his social habits. He was something of a ladies man, which is why I suspect he may have tried to frequent the lounge or dining car looking for conversation last evening. As for who may want him dead, I guess it's possible that a former business rival, jilted lover, or jealous partner, may want him dead: aside from being a ladies man, Mr Ratchett was quite the successful businessman."

14. - Top - End - #14

SwashbucklerGuy

" aside from being a ladies man, Mr Ratchett was quite the successful businessman."
    Did someone say, "Successful Businessman?" For I, Antonio Foscarelli, am here and would be more than happy to show you through all of these magnificent veh- oh. That man is quite dead.
    Hello everyone! I'm Antonio Foscarelli Persolus and think that you shouldn't kill me first round!

This game is forcing me to break out the d16 for rng! ...but it has me voting JeenLeen, who we won't get answers out of for a bit, so Doctor Stavros Constantine (or as you prefer to be known, Let'sGetKraken), what do you have to say for yourself?

15. - Top - End - #15

Unlucky thirteen, AvatarVecna.
    Fleeting dreams of paper wings.

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

16. - Top - End - #16

ClericGuy

Count Rudolph Andrenyi

He hated this train ride with a passion. The freezing cold embrace of snow, which caused this delay, preventing them from reaching Paris was bad enough, but this? A murder? And to make things worse, the passengers AND the staff, starting to accuse each other? If the journey continued as bad as it had started, someone would start to question him as well. And when they did... They might find his secret. No! This must not happen!

And luckily, there was one person he could trust!
    "Maria, my dear... This is very disturbing news indeed!"

He turns towards the conductor and demands to know: How could anyone enter a stranger's compartment at all, in the middle of the night?"

OOC:
    Mostly random vote for Batcathat.
    Unwilling to d1 vote for Murska (for RP reasons, and cause Murska isn't a regular player (anymore)), JeenLean (died too early too often recently and is also busy IRL), Caedorus (see Jeen, minus IRL), AV (hosted last game)

Also, I had some slight technical problems posting this. I hope, everything will be back to normal.
    Last edited by Rogan; 2023-06-28 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Vote removal
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    He turns towards the conductor and demands to know: How could anyone enter a stranger's compartment at all, in the middle of the night?"
    "That most certainly couldn't happen, sir. We take great pride in our locks being of the greatest possible quality by the lowest possible bidder. In any event, any cases where a lock may or may not have failed with possibly lethal results is most certainly an isolated incident and in no way representative of the Orient Express Experience, Your Excellency."
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2023-06-26 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Broken quote :P

18. - Top - End - #18

(Rogan)

"Good sirs and madams, I do believe anyone pointing their fingers at Monsieur McQueen to be of unsound mind. I have seen him at work with the dearly departed and would be surprised should he be of unsanitary character."

"That being said I also believe he oversells the possibility of dalliance causing this dastardly devilry. I think further motive is a must to uncover for this plot. I think the good count is too nervous for them to be entirely innocent!"
    Last edited by bladescape; 2023-06-28 at 02:57 PM.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

19. - Top - End - #19

OldWizardGuy

Hector Willard MacQueen

"I'm Hildegarde Schmidt, assistant of Her Excellency."
    She thinks for a moment.
    "I do recall seeing Mr Ratchett at the lounge. Of course, I was somewhat intoxicated myself, so I do not recall many details, and I returned to my cabin early that fateful night - in the vain hopes this dreadful headache would go away (glances at the princess), must be this awful weather - but I unfortunately did not see many details.
    Quotes
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Mrs. Caroline Hubbard

Oh dear, this will not do... Are we sure that there's no way to return to the latest station? Staying out here on the train can't be the best situation for us, and I would love to be with my family.

She turns to look at the crowd, an inquisitive glint in her eyes.

Does anyone know what Mr. Edward Masterman (bladescape) was when the murder took place? I may want to start my investigation there.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I suppose one of us should take the role of bookkeeper and track our suspicions...

@Taff Side note, do votes have to be bolded to count? Or is red text enough? I saw at least one without bolding.

My vote on blade is random, btw.

Vote Count
    BookWombat (1): Batcathat
    Caedem (1): Xumtiil
    Murska (1): Luizeu
    Xumtiil (1): Caedem
    Persolus (1): BloodyMagpie, Murska
    Kraken (1): Persolus
    AV (1): BookWombat
    Batcathat (1): Rogan
    Rogan (1): bladescape
    bladescape (1): Caoimhin
    No Vote: Kraken, Commander, AV, JeenLeen
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2023-06-27 at 07:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    @Taff Side note, do votes have to be bolded to count? Or is red text enough? I saw at least one without bolding.
    I prefer bolded but I'll count unbolded so long as it's clearly intended to be a vote.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

"You must be joking, mister." The Countess eyes Mr. Masterman with some disdain. "There is no possibility that my- dear husband, would possibly have anything to do with this."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

23. - Top - End - #23

Zombie

Hector Willard MacQueen

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post

"Good sirs and madams, I do believe anyone pointing their fingers at Monsieur McQueen to be of unsound mind. I have seen him at work with the dearly departed and would be surprised should he be of unsanitary character."

"That being said I also believe he oversells the possibility of dalliance causing this dastardly devilry. I think further motive is a must to uncover for this plot. I think the good count is too nervous for them to be entirely innocent!"
    "Thank you, Edward. Your valet work is, as your references said, exemplary."

Hector turns to address the group.

"This is Edward Masterman, Mr Ratchett's valet. He assisted us with our luggage before we departed and takes great care of Mr Ratchett's many fine suits. He has been in Mr Ratchett's employ for almost as long as I have."

"I'm Hildegarde Schmidt, assistant of Her Excellency."
    "A pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Hector bows.

"I do recall seeing Mr Ratchett at the lounge. Of course, I was somewhat intoxicated myself, so I do not recall many details, and I returned to my cabin early that fateful night - in the vain hopes this dreadful headache would go away (glances at the princess), must be this awful weather - but I unfortunately did not see many details.
    "Thank you for being so candid."

Hector opens his mouth to speak further, casting a glance towards Princess Dragomiroff, but thinks better of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    Mrs. Caroline Hubbard

Does anyone know what Mr. Edward Masterman (bladescape) was when the murder took place? I may want to start my investigation there.
    "I can assure you, Mrs Hubbard..." Hector's mind immediately flashes back to her trying to show off the picture of her grandchild to himself, Edward, and Mr Ratchett, after they boarded. Edward is an outstanding fellow, with high recommendations from his former employers. Like myself, he now finds himself without a well-paying job, and I can conceive of no reason why he would wish Mr Ratchett dead. Even with a motive, Edward, like myself, have personal access to Mr Ratchett at most times and so he, like myself, would almost certainly choose to kill him elsewhere rather than this train. But you mention an investigation. Are you employed as a private detective, madam?"

Hector turns to address the group again.

"Clearly whoever killed Mr Ratchett believed that they would never have the opportunity to do so again. Whoever killed him was desperate to make sure it happened here and now. I believe this may help us narrow down my employer's killer."

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    "You must be joking, mister." The Countess eyes Mr. Masterman with some disdain. "There is no possibility that my- dear husband, would possibly have anything to do with this."
    "May I politely ask if either you, or the esteemed Count, were in the lounge late last evening? Perhaps you saw or spoke to Mr Ratchett?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

@Caoimhim - That's 2 votes for Persolus, you've written (1), but wrote both voters.

@Everyone - I don't like Day 1 voting (it's never felt very fair to me), so I will officially abstain. I know I must vote tomorrow (if I'm still alive of course!).
    Last edited by The Commander; 2023-06-26 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fixing formatting

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Who looks suspicious?

Well, nobody has done anything this girl can see, but people are pointing fingers anyway.
    Hmm... well, if fingers are being pointed, might as well eliminate the competition while being stuck on a train with wealthy and successful men.

So who is a threat?
    The Countess is married. Ms. Hubbard and the Princess are widows, and don't seem likely to marry again.
    So that leaves the attractive nurse or the attendant to the queen. Well, that Hildegarde seems content enough with her work. But I see far too many similarities between a nurse looking around and a governess looking around to feel comfortable with her.
    Sorry, Greta, but there's only so many fish in this sea. I don't need the competition.

If I follow the votecounts right, AV and Persolus both have 2 votes. Others at just one.

Also... who died in the fluff?
    I'm having an unusual amount of trouble finding that, and too busy to reread again. I see folk saying it was Mr. Ratchett, so I assume I'm just missing it.
    Narrative-wise, that puts a little suspicion on The Commander or bladescape, but it'd be unfair for Taffimai to tie the woves to the roles.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2023-06-27 at 12:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Natalia was too busy glaring at her maid for confirming her suspicion of insobriety to notice the glance McQueen briefly shot her.

"Hmmph. And just what would most of us be able to contribute? I don't know any Americans personally, much less this Rat-chett, and unless someone was spying on the man's demise I dare say no one but the murderer themselves knows who did it. I certainly didn't see it, or anything for that matter."
    Last edited by BloodyMagpie; 2023-06-26 at 08:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

The man peels off gloves as he steps into the cable-car.

"Apologies for my tardiness, I was conducting a secondary examination of the body. My name is Doctor Stavros Constantine, and as you have already surmised, this was no accident or self-inflicted injury. in my medical opinion. This was done with ill intent, by someone who has covered their tracks quite well. And while I hope this was an isolated incident, we must remain on guard until that can be proven."

"In the meantime, I would suggest that Mr. Michel (BatCatHat) provide us with insights - he would be the most likely to have noticed something unusual the previous night, given his proximity to the guests."

"Additionally, if anyone requires any minor medical assistance, please do let me know. I remain at your disposal. This sort of thing grieves me terribly."

He turns to Antonio Foscarelli with a frown.

"I understand it is natural to suspect the newcomer, but if I were responsible, I would hardly have reported it as a murder, would I? I have taken an oath to save lives, not to take them. What do you have to say in your defense?"
    Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2023-06-27 at 04:59 AM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2023-06-29 at 04:20 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Let'sGetKraken View Post
    "In the meantime, I would suggest that Mr. Michel (BatCatHat) provide us with insights - he would be the most likely to have noticed something unusual the previous night, given his proximity to the guests."

"Although I am the eternally and ceaselessly helpful servant of every passenger second class or higher, I am afraid I cannot be of assistance in this particular case, Doctor Constantine. Here on the Orient Express we pride ourselves on our uttermost dedication to passenger integrity, and we do not
    peek, sir. Though under the circumstances that particular policy may be subject to temporary change in the near future."

(Just so it doesn't get lost in the roleplaying, I don't actually have any information. My character may care about the integrity of the passengers, but I do not. )

29. - Top - End - #29

RedKnightGirl

Book Wombat 1: Batcathat
    Caedem 1: Xumtiil
    Murska 1: Luizeu
    Xumtiil 1: Caedem
    Persulus 2: Magpie, Murska
    Kraken 1: Persolus
    AV 3: Wombat, JeenLeen, AV
    Batcathat 2: Rogan, Kraken
    Rogan 1: Bladescape
    Bladescape 1: Caoimhin
    Abstain 1: Commander

Edit: missed Commander's vote because it was spoilered. It is perfectly valid to abstain or vote no kill (which are not the same)

Day One ends in ~48 hours from this post.
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2023-06-28 at 07:03 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Not enough talking.

With a stretch meant to show off her assets, Mary draws attention to herself. "Greta, darling, please don't be so hard on yourself. Unless you truly are guilty and wanting to get just it out of the way. That's not the case, is it, love?
    Hmm... a murder, but nobody saw anything. That makes me think whoever did it might have an accomplice, someone to help them cover their tracks. And who better to help someone cover their tracks than our porter, no? He had the keys, the information...
    " She leaves out that he also doesn't make enough money to be a worthy match.

Bored and dissatisfied with the stagnation. Batcathat, defend thyself.

On no talk: normally it's thought that, if a wagon is on a wolf, the wolves will stay stuff to try to move things to another candidate. Not necessarily of course, but usually. Quiet implies that the wolves are okay with the AV lynch.
    If AV is town, then, yeah, wolves would be fine with AV's death. If AV is wolf, they don't want to give away their wanting to keep her alive; maybe they are staying quiet until closer to Day's end in hopes someone will start talking and the votes will naturally go elsewhere. This makes me want to keep my vote on AV to see if the wolves flinch and give something away.

But if AV is a wolf, she could easily move her self-vote to another wagon, so she's not really in the lead, just one of several 2-vote wagons. That means leaving my vote on her, with talk stagnated, is really just meaning no discussion regardless of AV's alignment. So that just helps the wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    (Just so it doesn't get lost in the roleplaying, I don't actually have any information. My character may care about the integrity of the passengers, but I do not. )
    I get that "integrity" in this context really means privacy and the integrity of the train maintaining said privacy.
    But I first read it as not caring if the passengers are good or bad.

That's... maybe a point in your favor? Would a wolf say that, or be worried about seeming wolfy and catch it before posting? Or would a wolf say it as a joke, as a WIFOM move to make folk suspect they be town...

It's probably just a NAI (Not Alignment... Indicating? I forget the third word)* joke, but since I am voting him to drive discussion, I want to get others' opinions on this comment.
    *trying to spell out acronyms since we got some new players