New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Anauroch: Empire of Shade IC

Doria nods to Aubryn, who seems to have a better sense of humor than most knights she’s met.
    “Not all appreciate me style, just don’t get too close. I tend to use solid objects like walls as the anvil, but feel free to charge in after if you like.”

Turning to Eryn, she poses her own query.
    “And what about you, miss? Care to answer yer own question for the group. What’s yer role and commitment?”

Beyond the group discussion, she looks back to the mage to see what other insights he has to offer, or if the group is ready to move forward. Planning’s not really her style, and it seems like time is short.
    “Time to go, then? Action today’s worth more than a plan tomorrow.”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Eryn spares a glance to the spiky dwarf. “I’m the one trying to come up with a workable plan, including a high-altitude flyover to scout the terrain. That’ll be my role to start with—depending how high up their defenses may reach.”

She glances back to the wizard, waiting for a response to her questions, although at the moment Elminster seems to have fallen into a quiet reverie.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"With respect, Miss Eryn, I think what Lord Elminster has been trying to convey is that once we find a portal, the rings he has provided will enable the portal to transport us directly to - or even into - the tower. We should be spending only a little time outside the tower, thus minimizing any risk of attack by hostile parties. In addition, I have heard that the elves have returned to Myth Drannor and now hold at least part of it. If we can make friendly contact with them, I am sure they will be able to point us in the direction of a suitable portal," Aubryn intervenes once again.

OOC: Re the elves being in Myth Drannor, I'm using information in the Grand History of the Realms sourcebook and working off paradox26's statement that the adventure is likely taking place in 1375 DR. I assume that the fact that the elves have re-established themselves in Myth Drannor would be common knowledge in Cormyr. Since Aubryn has been hanging out at the court in Suzail, I feel comfortable assuming he would have picked up on this also.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Charmer has a natural way of mollifying that Eryn doesn’t mind, but even so she exhales slightly at his optimistic should.

“That’s the plan, but you know what happens to plans once the battle is joined.

“—As for the elves, that’s good to know,” with another glance at the still-quiet Elminster, “so the question is—can we contact them before we’re in the middle of the target? And learn exactly how much of the city they now hold, and whether that's anywhere near where we're going?

“It’s great to have magic rings and so forth, but there are traps and arts to negate those—and if the magic rings unaccountably fail, or if anything else goes wrong, then it’s best if we know something about where we may find ourselves.”

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Elminster settles back into a chair, making himself comfortable before answering the questions shot his way. "Shades are similar to normal people. They are mostly humans, as they came from the human Empire of Netheril. But many are powerful mages, and even those without magic tend to be highly skilled, especially at stealth. The Netherese Empire was the pinnacle of magical power in this world's history, and the Shades are its descendents."

"The people of Myth Drannor are still settling back in there, and few have left it since it has been reformed, so busy are they in rebuilding. But you shouldn't need much information before going there, since you just need to locate any elf with knowledge of portals, and they will direct you to the nearest, which will get you into Windsong Tower. I do not know how high above the city scouts have been detected. More likely they came in at ground level using magic and stealth to scout out the city. You can fly above the city, but you may be mistaken for enemies and attacked."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ixtalan turned and raised an eyebrow to Aubryn's sudden outburst. "I'm glad you're amused," He said dryly, addressing the mirthful warrior. "This simple conjuring has saved the lives of many an agent in the field," He explained humorlessly.

"And be assured, it can be put to far deadlier ends than you have seen here." He continued, sweeping his gaze to address the room in full. "Surely a knight of Cormyr can see the value in always having one's steel at the ready." Ixtalan said witheringly, as he let his eyes fall once more to Aubryn.

"An aerial assault is unlikely to succeed," said Lune, pulling himself away from the brief confrontation, his tonal shift indicating the topic change, as he now waded into the ongoing war games. "It may also draw the attention of any Shadovar still in the area — or as El has said, the mistaken impression of our hosts." He added, in thought now and slowly walking the floor, his armor barely audible as he spoke.

"It's better if they don't know we are there at all," He said walking, before ending as if on queue, stopping his stride as he began his relayance and coming to rest, "I shall ward us against sight and sound. Oghma's eyes will direct us to the portal, without fail. No one need know of our arrival."
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-07-23 at 01:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Once again Eryn holds her tongue, examining stray knickknacks around the chamber as Loon paces theatrically back and forth, declaiming away—but aerial assault draws a sharp glance from her.

“Scouting, not assault,” she corrects sharply; “—I assume someone with your extensive experience knows the difference. ‘High-altitude flyover’ is not the same as a combat drop.” She gives a delicate emphasis to extensive experience.

—Back to Elminster: “You seem certain we won’t be mistaken for enemies anyway, even if we show up on foot. And we likely shouldn’t be advertising to whomever we meet that we’re trying to slip into this tower-tree—not if these Shades are, one, masters of stealth, and two, have already infiltrated the city.

“And you said right at the start that magic in Myth Drannor can be, as you put it, ‘still a little unstable,’ which makes me wonder just how much faith we can put in relying on magical wards to keep us hidden.

“It brings us back to having the best information we can find on layout and disposition, before we go into a place trusting our mission and our lives to magic—when we know that it’s a place where magic isn’t trustworthy. At the very least, do you have the name of an elf we know we can trust, whom we can contact when we arrive?”

Last edited by Palanan; 2023-07-23 at 12:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ixtalan seemed briefly taken aback by the forcefulness of the previously quietest member of the group, raising a hand halfway to counter her part-way through, but assuaging himself as her thoughts became clearer to him. Part of him internally relished her new spirit of engagement, he half-smiled for what might have been the first time in their presence, before looking down and away to hide it, falling visibly into a perceived ponderence.

"Hmm, yes... and how do you propose we tell our enemies, and better yet, our friends unmet, of the difference of the two.. in the midst of this.. 'flyover'? Ixtalan queries Eryn, the professor in him on full display again.

"After all, perceptions are realities in the eyes of others, my dear. But perhaps that is something the experience that you so sorely mentioned has imparted." He said, gently chiding the earlier implication, but ending with an overall warmth to him, and clasping his hands behind his back, as he awaited her reply.
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-07-23 at 01:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

At the infinitely patronizing my dear, Eryn’s expression becomes a study in deliberate serenity, and she pays the Loon no more mind.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Nines View Post
    Ixtalan turned and raised an eyebrow to Aubryn's sudden outburst. "I'm glad you're amused," He said dryly, addressing the mirthful warrior. "This simple conjuring has saved the lives of many an agent in the field," He explained humorlessly.

"And be assured, it can be put to far deadlier ends than you have seen here." He continued, sweeping his gaze to address the room in full. "Surely a knight of Cormyr can see the value in always having one's steel at the ready." Ixtalan said witheringly, as he let his eyes fall once more to Aubryn.
    "I do not doubt it, Master Lune. However, you are presently not in the field, but in the presence of your friend Lord Elminster and the people he has specifically requested to come to his aid. It would behove you to show a modicum trust in the reliability and competence of those of us gathered here if you wish for our endeavour to be successful. We are none of us new to the concept of entering hostile territory, whether openly or in secret, as Miss Eryn's insistence on having sufficient intelligence and a plan before we go surely proves. And as a knight of Cormyr, my steel is always at the ready, you need have no fear on that account," Aubryn retorts coolly.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

With a raised eyebrow Adams speaks:

“In a tranquil village, two children, with hearts as innocent as cherry blossoms, were entrusted with a crucial task, but instead, they found themselves entangled in a spirited argument over the right path. As the sun dipped beneath the horizon, they realized they had missed the appointed time, and with tearful eyes, they learned that unity, not discord, grants wings to dreams.”

He says, eyeing the guilty, “we can bicker on the road, if time is of the essence as it was so put, then we should leave at once”
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-07-25 at 11:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Indeed." Lune said, as he was momentarily absorbed by the quiet philosopher's opining for peace.

"And your point is taken, Sir Aubryn." He replied, continuing the conversation at hand, but clearly affected by the monk's words, and returning the knight's titular obeisance of etiquette. "El's favor is not lightly given, and my own trust in him is greater still. That alone provides assurances of the competence of this assembly." He said, surveying the room as he made the assertion.

"It is not our custom in the West to operate with those Not of The Harp," He explained, returning to Aubryn. "But we know the Knights in Purple to be both valiant and forthright when there is need." He recalled. "You have not disproven that here today with your candor, nor I think, you — or your steel — shall." He concluded earnestly.

"Our contemplative is correct, the hour grows short." He said, breaking off to address the room again, and no one in particular. "There will be time enough to test our mettles, no doubt. But we mustn't give the enemy purchase here." He declared, with the tenor of rallying in his voice. "We shall embark without delay." He said, turning at last to Elminster.
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-07-25 at 04:43 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Mostly ignoring the 3 sided argument amongst her new companions, Doria turns and listens to the monk's thoughts.
    She puzzles over his story of children and dreams, trying to make sense of his tale, but as he comes to the end she realizes that he's agreeing with what she previously said.

"Without delay, indeed." she chuckles in response. "Off to visit the elves, then?", and she awaits Eliminster's plan to send the group on its way.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Elminster rises to his feet and goes over to a chest. He mutters a few words, then opens it. He pulls out a scroll and hands it over to whoever in the group reaches for it first. "Although I am unsure as to whether it will prove of great use, but as you all seem intent on knowing the layout of the city, here is a map of the city. It does not show which areas are controlled by the elves and which by other forces, but it shows the basic situation. As for an elven contact, you would be best served going straight to the Coronal, Ilsevele Miritar. Tell her I sent you, should the need arise," he says.

As the party finishes inspecting the map, he says, "If you will all hold hands, I will teleport you to the western outskirts of the city." Once everyone is ready, he casts a spell of great power, and the party finds itself in a forest glade.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the one currently addressing Elminster, Ixtalan received the map and handed it, still scrolled, directly to Eryn with a cursory nod, before embarking.

As the party arrived on the sheltered forest floor,
    Lune retrieved the towerkin ring given to him by the sage. Passing a hand over it before donning it, and handing off a silvered ring previously upon his finger to the raven astride his shoulder. Let us see what other secrets you hold, he thought, as his mind was filled with the ring's unfolded power. "Let us not bother the elves with our little excursion here, should there be spies about." Ixtalan said distractedly, as he addressed the group while surmising their landing place in a rote manner. Once he ascertained their relative safety, he began his work.

With an empty gripped hand, he pulled a finely crafted clad-iron trunk of electrum and burnished wood from the Ether onto the forest floor. His opening it revealed all manner of alchemical objects, tomes of various gildings, parchments and inks, bottles of colored liquids, and a large, wholly preserved dragon's eye that stared out eerily at the sky, unblinking, as well as folded clothing both fine and mundane. Ignoring the multitude of objects, he reached into a small side compartment in the interior, to retrieve a set of ivory dice bearing inscribed runes, before closing and shunting the chest once more into nothingness with a gentle push.

Turning to the sky, and muttering a whispered prayer to the god of knowledge, while rolling the dice from one hand to the other, their faces lit by the broken sunlight through the treetops,

"Oghma the Wise, Knower of All,
    Grant me sight
    That upon their demense
    We might harken — and fall."

"This way." said Lune impartially, before setting into stride.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Action summary:
    Passive spot checks: 27 Ixtalan, 26 Allan (take 10)

cast detect magic
    Windsong Towerkin Ring
    Identify properties via Spellcraft check *MIC p.217
    37 check result (take 10, Allan: aid another)

Grant item: ring of silent spells; Allan (familiar)
    Don: windsong towerkin ring

Retrieve: secret chest
    Retrieve item: ivory counters (arcane focus)
    Stow: secret chest :ethereal

cast find the path
    specified locale: "the nearest working portal within five miles of windsong tower."
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-07-26 at 06:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Adama accepted the move to get to the mission and took the hand that was offered to him, the teleport was quick, and much better than he had experienced before, apparently the pedigree of the caster was important. He instant dropped down and moved into the shadows, blending with it as if he were made of shadowstuff himself.

Spoiler
    Show

Assume Subtle ancestor
    hide - (1d20+28)[41]
    M.silently - (1d20+28)[35]

Adama, sire of Ciraxis the Great ice dragon
    M LN Human, Hartland Monk 5/Dragon Descendant 8, Level 13, Init 5, HP 95/95, Speed 70ft
    AC 28 Touch 21 Flat-footed 23
    Fort +14 Ref +13 Will +16
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 13
    Condition n/a
    Special Evasion, Still mind, Purity of Body (immune to all non-magical diseases), Slippery Mind, Draconic Aura: Vigor 2 (fast healing 2 when below half health), +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects
    Ancestor: Subtle (+8 to hide and m.silently, +2d6 sneak attack)
    COLOR=#800080
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Once again Eryn holds her tongue, examining stray knickknacks around the chamber as Loon paces theatrically back and forth, declaiming away—but aerial assault draws a sharp glance from her.

“Scouting, not assault,” she corrects sharply; “—I assume someone with your extensive experience knows the difference. ‘High-altitude flyover’ is not the same as a combat drop.” She gives a delicate emphasis to extensive experience.

—Back to Elminster: “You seem certain we won’t be mistaken for enemies anyway, even if we show up on foot. And we likely shouldn’t be advertising to whomever we meet that we’re trying to slip into this tower-tree—not if these Shades are, one, masters of stealth, and two, have already infiltrated the city.

“And you said right at the start that magic in Myth Drannor can be, as you put it, ‘still a little unstable,’ which makes me wonder just how much faith we can put in relying on magical wards to keep us hidden.

“It brings us back to having the best information we can find on layout and disposition, before we go into a place trusting our mission and our lives to magic—when we know that it’s a place where magic isn’t trustworthy. At the very least, do you have the name of an elf we know we can trust, whom we can contact when we arrive?”

AT ELMINSTER'S TOWER
    Elminster points at a space off to the left hand side of the map, and says, "You will be teleported roughly here, to a glade to the west of the city. You can walk in from there. If an elf stops you, show them the rings and they will allow you to pass, knowing you as elf friends. Should you need to visit the Coronal, show her the rings and she will know they are from me, as they are also inscribed with my arcane mark on the inside."

"Yes, magic can be unstable. The old Mythal is mostly still gone, and helps to lengthen lives, among other abilities. But it is not entirely stable anymore, and magic can therefore fail to function properly, or can act as wild magic. That is unlikely to be an issue, though, as it normally isn't a problem. Flying up high could pose a problem, as you will be nearing the edge of the mythal and it is difficult to tell how it will affect the being who is flying above the city. They may cause stealth spells to fail, they may cause flight spells to fail. But you should be okay if you fly or use magical stealth, as long as you don't do it for too long, I should think. The city is mostly protected by patrols instead of the mythal these days."

"If you have no more questions, then we can proceed. Cast whatever spells you need now, just in case you run into trouble, though the elves have largely pacified the area around the city now. Does anyone have more queries, or need to talk tactics, now that you know of each other's strengths and abilities?"

AND BACK TO THE GLADE
    Lune doesn't see anything in the area, or at least, nothing dangerous. There is no animal life larger than a squirrel in the immediate vicinity.
    The ring is definitely magical, having conjuration magic instilled into it.
    The find the path spell leads you to the path heading to the east, towards the city.

Adama hides in the shadows, disappearing into the darkness that falls from the densely packed trees around the edge of the glade.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

At the glade

Aubryn watches with curiosity as Adama blends into the shadows. Looking straight at where the mystic is hiding, he asks innocently: "Find anything interesting in there?"

"I'm pleased to hear that Oghma and Lord Elminster agree on the best approach to the city and tower," he chuckles as Ixtalan directs the group to head down the path Elminster had indicated before he teleported them.

"I disagree, however, that trying to hide from our elven friends is a wise move. If we are discovered, such an action will likely lead to us being treated as trespassers and looters, rather than allies. At the least, I would expect that to result in a swift trip before the Coronal to justify ourselves, thereby losing any of the presumed benefits of speed and secrecy. We should declare ourselves to the first elven patrol we stumble across - it's the honourable thing to do," Aubryn adds.

"With that in mind, who will be our vanguard? Are your senses as sharp as your step is light, Master Adama? Is your familiar useful as a scout, Master Lune?" he asks them both.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ixtalan stared out into the seeming distance as he surveyed the shining, golden strands of thread now divinely illuminated to him by his invocation. "The Binder knows far more of what we will face ahead. With his eyes over us, our steps will be sure." Lune said distantly, before breaking himself away from the previously unseen and now gossamer road laid before him, adding, "...with all due respect to the mighty El, of course." He said, barely sardonically, while catching the soldier's eye briefly and finding mild humor in the comparison himself, but perhaps for different reasons.

Ixtalan continued his reconnaissance as the knight expressed his concerns to the group about feigning subterfuge, before turning at the edge of the path, and interjecting to tacitly agree with him. "It's unlikely we will be stopped at the garrison bearing these," holding up a gloved hand with the elven ring upon it, "nor could we be if we chose not to, but avoiding any unnecessary delays is the goal, no matter the method." He explained. "The less we tary in town, the less our chances of being spotted by the enemies sentries." He cautioned, before returning to his roteful inspections as the group conversed.

"Indeed, Sir Aubryn." Lune replied, while facing away and kneeling briefly to examine the path ahead, but keeping himself abreast of the conversation, as he and the winged creature shared the briefest of wordless glances and affirmations. Like a bolt from the blue, the midnight-colored bird lept from it's armored perch and took up a circling pattern a bow's length above them in surveyal, as it silently awaited their departure.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Check forward path for tracks:
    Survival: 20 check result
    (take 10, Allan; aid another)
    *Assuming firm ground and medium creatures, locate any passage within the past five days.
    Note: anyone can locate a trail, you only need Track to follow it. *PHB p.84

Allan (familiar)
    Flight instructions: circle our formation perimeter
    at 150ft. distance and 45° altitude until departure, or until other intelligent creatures spotted. Return and relay, if so.
    Upon departure: lead ahead, with same heading as formation, distance and altitude as above, with same fallback instructions.
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-07-29 at 05:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Glade

Eryn gives a brief nod to Aubryn. “Elminster told us directly we should find our way to the Coronal, as our first order of business. Finding a patrol is the best way to do that.

Iẏsnai-an sán sẏ’isīl lánoi?Fancy a duet?

With that, Eryn lifts her voice in an ancient Elven song, a traditional morning-praise of leaf and wind, and continues singing in a strong clear tone as she examines the map Elminster gave the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival
    (1d20+18)[31]

Eryn will study the map, examine their surroundings, and then look for anything that might serve as the nerve center of the restored elven realm of Myth Drannor.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2023-07-29 at 05:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I would, had I but the voice to do your song justice, Miss Eryn. I fear that my singing is more likely to land us all in a dungeon than make allies of our presumptive hosts," Aubryn demurs with a wry grin.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

At the glade.

As the group gets oriented and debates which way to go, Doria pauses to rummage through her backpack. Shuffling aside all manner of items, she finds her target and pulls out a pair of antlers attached to some leather. Taking off her traveling hat and stuffing it in the pack, she adjusts some straps and buckles the whole thing onto her head. It’s now apparent that the leather is a helmet, and she appears to have a large rack of deer antlers protruding from her head.

Satisfied, she moves towards Eryn to see if there’s to be any spellcasting that was discussed on the way, and looks to the west side of the glade. Slinging the pack back over her shoulders, she adjusts her gear for travel, and rests one hand on her axe.

“Are we to visit the elves, or head straight for the tower? Seems like we’ll do both, from what we heard of da city, I’d expect to encounter a patrol before we reach the tower. Let’s just see which comes first, and announce ourselves as needed.”, she suggests to the group.

Not understanding the words to the song, she decides not to join the singing, as it doesn’t sound like its about fighting or drinking. Elves rarely seem to like the songs that she sings, so she’ll stay quiet.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Lune detects many pairs of feet passing through this area, passing to and from the pathway to the east, and probably heading towards the city. Allan has trouble. He can fly at a hundred fifty feet above the group, but that puts him above the treetops, and the forest is thick enough that he can't really see what is going on beneath him.

Eryn sees on the map what appears to be marked as the Coronal's palace, a giant and broad tree. It looks like, between the map and what ELminster said, you only have to walk a couple of hundred yards before you reach the city's edge, and from there you will be able to follow the map to the Coronal.\

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I think we should keep moving down the path. Gallivanting into the forest will only slow us down," Aubryn suggests to the others.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yes, onward." Said Lune colorlessly, confirming the allusions to directness, and being the nearest to the trail already. As the group fell into their assorted marching order, the circling, dark avian above them dove to softly take up the forefront.

After some time in silence, and keeping his eyes forward, Ixtalan addressed the group, "It's not the elves that I worry about here," He said midstride, deep in thought as he walked, and deciding how much to say on the matter. "It's the 'not-elves'..."He said, trailing off while studying the path ahead intently. "Our enemy can wear many faces. Or ensorcel the minds of our would-be allies." He explained, and speaking darkly of his foes. "Be on guard." He forewarned, after another brief pause, and giving the last in a soldier's inflection, as if the previous digression had not taken place at all.
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-08-01 at 12:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

[Note: this dialogue from Eryn takes place immediately after Aubryn's comments above, prior to any time spent walking on the path.]

“Mm-hm,” Eryn murmurs absently, focused on the map. “From this—” her finger sweeps out a brief arc— “the Coronal’s palace should be due east, maybe a ten-minute walk. That’s ten minutes well spent to pay our respects, and be certain the Coronal knows who we are and why we’re here.”

Eryn sets off in that direction, singing again:

’Alessẏn, anände-siīl, anánduna’märelë,
    Marélaian ẏn-sānei, ẏn-anände-siīl.

Anyone who speaks Elven will note that Eryn has switched to something a touch saucier.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

To Eryn

"If we're that close, I suspect we will meet some form of guards before we meet the Coronal herself. We shall see whether or not they require us to make our case before Her Highness," Aubryn remarks.

He smiles and winks at Eryn as she changes the tune she's singing.

To Ixtalan

"Duly noted, Master Lune. However, unless you have the means of divining who may be an infiltrator or under the influence of the shades ahead of time, we will simply have to deal with them as and when we find them," Aubryn answers Lune flatly, clearly growing somewhat tired of being spoken to as if the tricks of mages were news to him or anyone else in the group.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

More casual than strictly military, Eryn walks beside Aubryn as they set out, moving into the refrain of her song:

álla-ẏno, álla-ẏno! sān-sarei,
    álla-ẏno mandarë.

The refrain involves searching for lost sheep through a deeply folded landscape of steep hills and dales; the key phrase is easily translated “up and down, up and down,” and of course refers to the effort of navigating the terrain.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The party moves forward, and after a few minutes you receive word from Allan that there are two elves standing guard beside the trail. They do not appear to be that attentive, but it will be difficult to just bypass them without encountering them, as best you can tell from Allan's scouting. A further warning comes to the party that the elves are accompanied by a wolf.

The song that Eryn is singing makes it harder to approach unawares, but the warning of the party's presence will also mean it is less likely for the guards to think the party are intruders and unwelcome to the city.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You are in good company, Sir Aubryn," said Lune reassuringly. "For we have more than The Wise One at our backs, this day." He said, as he visibly surmised their present location. "It would offend The Queen of Forests greatly, for us to be deceived in Her realm." He explained, as he moved to examine the canopy for movement, but also in a silent denouement of solace as he invoked Her. "I trust She will not let that come to pass." He said, with a comfortable resignation, before returning himself to his footsteps on the path ahead.

A few moments later, Ixtalan slowed briefly before continuing, as he received the empathic message and discrete signal calls from Allan of what lay onward. He raised a hand for silence as it came in, decoding the sensations and seemingly innocuous background sounds as if it were a language onto it's own, "Patrol ahead. Two strong. Elven." before pausing as more information arrived, "One guard animal. Lupine." as he translated a real-time version of the truncated field chatter and assessments, "complacent...but well placed." He paraphrased, and nodding silently in reply to the sending, as he finished his relayance to the group.
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-08-02 at 02:53 PM.