New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default What Have You Been Painting? Miniatures in Gaming

Greetings all,

In addition to RPGs, a do a fair bit of miniature wargaming as well. This means I paint a decent amount of miniatures.... but not that well. I figured I wasn't the only one on this forum painting miniatures, so I wanted to start a thread about it. I encourage you post up your WIPs, final models, or just talking about miniature painting.

To start off, I finished my pile-of-shame last year (gasp!). That's right, no new minis to paint at this exact moment. However, digging through my old stuff I found a blast from the past, a set of painted, original Harlequin models from the late 80's.

I almost never repaint old models. There is little point to do so. However, I felt these guys deserved a bit better. Plus, I figured I could use them for Kill Team. I primed them, gave them a dark grey wash, and then drybrushed them white. They were ready to go.

I then used Armypainter Speedpaints and went to work. I finished them all in about a weekend.

If you are inclined, you can read the gory details, the mistakes made along the way, and the specifics on my blog here:
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...ck-to-80s.html

Now, I got a big shipment of 6mm Egyptians and Hittites for the Battle of Kadesh, and that is very different from painting 28mm sci-fi clowns. Onto finishing those off next.

In the meantime, what have you been painting? What is on the desk? Pictures please?
    *This Space Available*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What Have You Been Painting? Miniatures in Gaming

LOVE those old harlequin models!

Sadly, home repairs leading to other home repairs (repairs leading to the discovery of additional things that need work, not repairs that break other things) have blocked access to my normal work area.

My current plan is to combine some empty hot cocoa cans with some pipes, platforms, old inhaler cartridges, and medication lids to create some multi-level mixing tanks. I need to make a bunch of elevated walkways, too, both with and without handrails (easier to fall off without rails). But I need some room and time to work, first.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-07-12 at 11:06 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I've been painting my Mansions of Madness minis over the past few* months.

These are the latest I've completed - thralls:

They came out pretty well for my level of skill/patience

I am very slowly working on this Lliogor. It's much bigger than anything I'm used to painting though, so taking me a long time. It's got lots of fiddly bits, and I should have painted before gluing it to the base (hadn't really planned to

Without any good guide for colours I've been using a Mantis shrimp as inspiration (they are supposed to appear reptilian, but the mini doesn't look more crustacean to me). I've not really got the right colours for it (need more metallic I think), but it will have to do.

Alos picked up a Firefly game recently with minis of the core crew, so I've started with Capt'n Tight-pants:

PS - piccies have come up very small for some reason - any suggestions on to get better sized ones? Different upload site maybe (using Flickr free atm)

* - For certain (inaccurate) definitions of few
    Last edited by caden_varn; 2023-07-28 at 12:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not seeing any images. When I quote your post to copy/paste the links for your images, I get "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Hmmm. I'll need to try a different hosting service (when I have some time)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I currently use Discord. I created a private chat with no other members (me only), and paste any images I want to post to the boards there.

7. - Top - End - #7

AssassinGuy

I'm not seeing them either, but I usually use Blogger and/or Google Photos. I do not have any good advice on that.

I love the idea of basing your painting on Crustaceans though.

Finally, I have started a Battle of Kadesh project, and have got to work on some 6mm Egyptians. The army is like 22 60mm bases. Here is what I have painted so far:

Levy with bow support.

If you are inclined, you can read about the project and get more details on my blog.

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...of-kadesh.html
    *This Space Available*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Last year I started painting a lot of the various boardgame minis I have accumulated over the years, and there have been a few highlights. The last two larger projects I did turned out quite nicely, both Reaper Bones minis that got donated to me by a kind acquaintance. Regular 33mm mini for scale.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

Wow, those are some big toys.
    *This Space Available*

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Actana View Post
    Last year I started painting a lot of the various boardgame minis I have accumulated over the years, and there have been a few highlights. The last two larger projects I did turned out quite nicely, both Reaper Bones minis that got donated to me by a kind acquaintance. Regular 33mm mini for scale.

Spoiler
    Show

Hah! I've had that bottom one sitting on my shelf for about 5 years and can't decide how to start on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Working through my closet full of 40k Orks, with the new 10th edition buffs, I'm finally getting my Killa Kans painted. Bought a new box of MegaNobz, the backlog will never end.
    Last edited by AdamSpeg; 2023-08-05 at 03:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Hah! I've had that bottom one sitting on my shelf for about 5 years and can't decide how to start on it.
    I am not ashamed to admit I spent more time thinking about what color scheme to go with than I did painting it. And it took a fair bit of time to paint.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Let's try again from Discord then! No progress on the painting since the last post, partly as my arthritis is flaring but mostly because I've been too busy bee-farming in Valheim!

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Lately it has been too hot to paint. :(
    *This Space Available*

15. - Top - End - #15

Finished a pretty cool set of minis for the Solomon Kane board game. Was really happy with how they turned out, and it might be some of my best work yet.
    Loads of pictures below (with one regular 33mm mini for scale at the end):
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

If you want a cheap Dracolich, apparently Michael's is selling a plastic one this season. Sgt Slag at Dragonsfoot made one last year that turned out pretty great, and is looking at making a new one this year.

I may need to see if I can make it over to Michael's in the next few weeks...
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-08-31 at 08:48 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

GnomePirate

Currently have a squad of Scout troopers from Legion and a squad of the new terminators from 40k on my desk.
    PCs are not exceptional. They are normal Joe Shmoes stuck in exceptional circumstances.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Currently working on some scenery: A trio of storage tanks as a Christmas gift to my Usual Opponent (Warboss Mogar from my Warpstrike rules):

There will be a ladder up to the top of the smallest tank, and from there to the grey tank, and from there to the green tank. The piping will lead from green to grey, from grey to blue, and from blue to a portable barrel. There will be partial handrails around the tops of the tanks (to allow people to fall off , and to allow connecting walkways).

I'm also trying to come up with a good color scheme for my Eldar Fire Dragons.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-09-30 at 08:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

I have been working on an Egyptian army in 6mm for a Battle of Kadesh project. It has been slow going.

Here is what I have for the Egyptian army so far, and I am a little shy of half way done.

You can read all about it here: https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....of-kadesh.html
    *This Space Available*

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by caden_varn View Post
    Let's try again from Discord then! No progress on the painting since the last post, partly as my arthritis is flaring but mostly because I've been too busy bee-farming in Valheim!

Wow, very nice stuff.

21. - Top - End - #21

ElfWarriorGuy

My fiancee's aunt's game shop revealed unto me a treasure, lost since the days of old: two sets of miniatures from the classic Games Workshop game Mordheim, one box of Undead and another of Witch Hunters. With my customary battle cry of "I don't really need to eat this week!", I acquired them, and will set about assembling & painting them with all good haste. Now I just need to find someone who still plays...
    Last edited by Catullus64; 2023-10-30 at 05:27 PM.
    The desire to appear clever often impedes actually being so.

What makes the vanity of others offensive is the fact that it wounds our own.

Quarrels don't last long if the fault is only on one side.

Nothing is given so generously as advice.

We hardly ever find anyone of good sense, except those who agree with us.

-Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

Mordheim is having a wee bit of a resurgence at the moment, as it often comes and goes but never really dies.

Greta find, and we demand picts!
    *This Space Available*

23. - Top - End - #23

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    Mordheim is having a wee bit of a resurgence at the moment, as it often comes and goes but never really dies.

Greta find, and we demand picts!
    I'm sure there are iron-age wargamers who can provide you with Picts...

Will do once they're finished. In the interim, here's my very first effort in painting from earlier this year, some Black Ark Corsairs (technically they're Aeldari Reavers or whatever from AoS, but they're clearly just Black Ark Corsairs on round bases.)

Spoiler
    Show

The Unit:

Close-up on dual hand weapons:

Close-up on repeater handbows:

Standard Bearer:

Musician:

Regimental Champion:

Fleetmaster:

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

I have been rushing to get a 6mm Egyptian force done by the End of the Year.....

Only about 8 bases left to paint up.

You can read more about the details of the army here if you want: \
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....f-ra-more.html
    *This Space Available*

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's an update on the storage tanks I posted earlier:

You'll probably get to see the finished version (this isn't it) 'in action' after my next game in early January.

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

My 6mm Egyptian army is completed.....

You can see some closer unit shots and other details about it on my blog IF that is of interest to you.

Here: https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....esh-so-it.html
    *This Space Available*

27. - Top - End - #27

AssassinGuy

Greetings all,

My first painting for 2024 was a quick Kill Team. The Hand of the Archon is now painted up and ready to hit the table. I all ready had a Craftworld, Harlequin, and corsair team so it seemed appropriate to get the Dark Eldar team. It looks like I am the "space elves" guy at the True Crit Gaming Guild.

I used Armypainter Speedpaints and got the whole Kill Team painted in about a weekend. If you are interested you can see the full process on my blog here:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....chon-kill.html
    *This Space Available*

28. - Top - End - #28

ElfWarriorGuy

Some figures I ordered around Christmas from Otherworld Miniatures arrived, and I've just got the first two painted up. I really wish I knew how to photograph these better. I feel like they look pretty good sitting on my desk, but the camera really picks up on the flaws.

Spoiler: Magic-User
    Show

Spoiler: Thief
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

The camera always picks out more than the eye can see. It is a curse!
    *This Space Available*

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

I have been doing a 5-day Challenge. I gave myself 5 weekdays to paint 10 Sisters of Battle to act as a Kill Team. From box to fully painted and in a game this weekend.

I am working on day 3, and things are starting to get interesting......

You can follow along on my blog if you are interested:
    https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot....nge-day-1.html
    *This Space Available*