A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1429303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1390
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3- What does fried Nautiloid taste like?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You know, I've been thinking that for a while. The Bioware/Larian style party RPGs should let the NPC party members hook up/develop friendships more.
    IIRC, in Mass Effect 3 Garrus and Tali could hook up if they weren't your Shepard's LI. But yes, it is quite rare to see such things in CRPGs.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

2. - Top - End - #1142

You know, I've been thinking that for a while. The Bioware/Larian style party RPGs should let the NPC party members hook up/develop friendships more.
    Have naturally orbiting cliques?

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Spamalot in the Playground

I definitely ship Wyll and Karlach if both are unattached. I mean, she considers bumping uglies with WITHERS for Zariel's sake, we should be able to help her get laid even if it's not with us!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh, I ship them too. Pretty much from the first time they talked.
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly I find RPG romances my character is actually involved in pretty boring by and large. Not worth skipping necessarily, but not something I'm going to get excited about or want more emphasis on. I very much do not want to have a lot of stuff about NPCs hooking up or me playing matchmaker. I don't have any objection to shipping and shipping type content if that's what you're into, but I find it boring and kinda cringe.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

6. - Top - End - #1146

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Honestly I find RPG romances my character is actually involved in pretty boring by and large. Not worth skipping necessarily, but not something I'm going to get excited about or want more emphasis on. I very much do not want to have a lot of stuff about NPCs hooking up or me playing matchmaker. I don't have any objection to shipping and shipping type content if that's what you're into, but I find it boring and kinda cringe.
    I can understand that perspective and thankfully all the relationship stuff is optional for those who dont find it appealing. But I'm telling you right now, there are a substantial number of gamers, *especially* in underserved gaming demographics, who view games like BG3 as dating sims with combat and leveling as much as they do RPGs, if not more.

One of Larian's most brilliant marketing tactics was to leak just how much cheesecake there is in this game. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if the "bear" headline drove sales as much as if not even more than things like 5e rules fidelity or average playtime.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #1147

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I can understand that perspective and thankfully all the relationship stuff is optional for those who dont find it appealing. But I'm telling you right now, there are a substantial number of gamers, *especially* in underserved gaming demographics, who view games like BG3 as dating sims with combat and leveling as much as they do RPGs, if not more.

One of Larian's most brilliant marketing tactics was to leak just how much cheesecake there is in this game. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if the "bear" headline drove sales as much as if not even more than things like 5e rules fidelity or average playtime.
    Baldur's Gate 3:

A Role playing Game

In any way you want

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Firbolg in the Playground

I normally agree, but I was sold on the Shadowheart romance 100% after the climax(es) of Act 2. Both:

Spoiler
    Show
    Her choosing to give up her worship, on her own with no input from you, just because you made it clear you had faith she could be a better person, and then her returning the favor when your Dark Urge starts to make you kill her and she helps you fight it back with love and encouragement is just *mwah*.

Advantage: Reason: "Shadowheart has faith in you." is just such a small but impactful thing to see on a dice roll screen.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not trying to hate on dating sims and/or cheesecake either, both can be fun. Honestly if the dating sims aimed at straight guys weren't so frequently just deeply, deeply creepy I'd probably play them quite a bit. So I more or less get the appeal in general. But RPGs already are way too damn long, and have too many subsystems. I kinda feel there's some real virtue in focus, I enjoy setting goblins on fire, I enjoy getting into that hot elf's pants, and I enjoy breezy fantasy nonsense, I just don't necessarily want them at the same time, or think they necessarily reinforce each other.

Also I find RPGs tend to think their protagonists are a bit too cool, and have all the NPCs think the protagonist is a bit too cool, to really sell me a convincing romance. This is why I often find RPG romances kinda cringe, but I find this tendency painful in general. So far at least in my playthrough BG3 has avoided this really well, and I genuinely appreciate it. I really liked the learning magic bit with Gale because it was entirely about him sharing something beautiful with me, rather than me being awesome and him slobbering all over me for it.

10. - Top - End - #1150

I still remember a rather hilarious Bill Hicks' stand-up about sex and advertising.
    And at least in my social bubble, those who play BG3 talk quite a lot about the various romantic options (with Astarion and Karlach being the most popular). And while I am definitely not a fan of romances in games, I too believe it helps drive sales and that means I can get more "old-school" CRPGs.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I normally agree, but I was sold on the Shadowheart romance 100% after the climax(es) of Act 2. Both:

Spoiler
    Show
    Her choosing to give up her worship, on her own with no input from you, just because you made it clear you had faith she could be a better person, and then her returning the favor when your Dark Urge starts to make you kill her and she helps you fight it back with love and encouragement is just *mwah*.

Advantage: Reason: "Shadowheart has faith in you." is just such a small but impactful thing to see on a dice roll screen.
    Yeah, and...
    Spoiler: Alternate-Path Example Spoiler...
    Show
    Shadowheart stabbing Dame Aylin to get a promotion at work, and later telling me that she was way too busy with her new career to be dating right now so maybe we should just be friends, was just like real life
    Last edited by Jophiel; 2023-09-18 at 03:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Regarding how likeable or trustworthy Lae'zel, Astarion etc. are, I think that's an interesting difference in how people approach these kind of games. For me, my character is not me, they're someone about whom I'm creating a story. So I'm perfectly happy keeping companions around who are shady or rude if they're also narratively interesting (or funny). Maybe in real life I would tell them to jog on, but the point of the game is that it's not real life, no?

For my 1st playthrough, I was sold on Lae'zel the moment I rescued her from the cage. You get a dialogue option to ask her to say thank you, and while she's still in the cage she grits her teeth and says NEVER. It seemed pretty clear at that point that while she might make life hard for my character, she was probably going to be a blast to have along.

To my taste, being bland is a much bigger sin for companion characters. Looking at you, Gale and Halsin. Wyll only gets a pass because of Mizora.
    I mean, I'm doing that too, insofar as how my character treats them goes. It's just that I'm playing a Cleric of Selūne who is a goody-two-shoes type who sort of fell into the role of shepherd/mother figure for all these poor souls who have been thrust into this terrible situation with her, since everybody else seems to want her to be the leader. She's trying to be patient and accepting with everyone as best as possible, but there are lines she needs to draw if things go too far. So, yeah, when Astarion goes off about stuff like that, not only does it not make him likeable to me outside of game, it sets up conflict with my character in-game, who wants to help him with his problems, but is very much not on board with that kind of idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    In Act I, I picked up Karlach around the 60% complete mark for the overland map. We're still on the Act I overland map with just one major sidequest left and Karlach's already waking me up at 3am to tell me how awesome I am. Combine this with Shadowheart's fawning adoration of me and I'm starting to think that mechanical approval changes matter less than just being a cute gothy halfling bard girl.
    Huh, weird, Karlach actually took a while for me to get much approval from, despite me using her a lot. And she never did anything like that even once I got her approval up. Heck, thinking about it, she's still the one character who never came on to my character. Even after her engine tune-up to let her safely touch people again, when I was expecting it to happen, I had some opportunities to flirt with her (but didn't take them), and she did mention wanting to find someone to shack up with now that she could, but she never actively approached me about it, unlike everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Commando View Post
    Wish companions could forge bonds between them instead of just hard simping the protagonist, Karlach and Wyll are a match made in Hell and Lae'zel and Shadowheart could star in a buddy cop film.
    I'm pretty sure Karlach did make a comment implying she and Wyll were a thing to me at one point, actually. Though it hasn't been followed up on for a while now, so, maybe I'm misremembering it? I remember getting that impression from something she said, at least.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #1153

Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    Yeah, and...
    Spoiler: Alternate-Path Example Spoiler...
    Show
    Shadowheart stabbing Dame Aylin to get a promotion at work, and later telling me that she was way too busy with her new career to be dating right now so maybe we should just be friends, was just like real life
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, if you push Shadowheart to fully embrace a deranged cult of nihilists, should come to little surprise that she is no longer interested in stuff like that.

14. - Top - End - #1154

Hey guys,

What is the turning point you felt you made a choice about your...benefactor?

Personally

Spoiler: Early Act 3
    Show

The first time the Emperor revealed himself to us, during the battle against the guards of Orpheus, i tried to peer his mind to get more information about the situation. If i could trust him.

He got annoyed, and said "ok you want to know? Here you go"

And the narrator literally says: "you feel like stopping the giths is the most important thing to do".

This is when i knew this being would never respect me as any sort of equal. He doesnt want someone to explain to, he wants a pet that does what he wants, and when we are on the edge he implants what he desire in my head.

There is no future with this. Even if he's the least of the bad guys, he still is a manipulative being with desolutions of morality.

15. - Top - End - #1155

Yeah - at the very least they could start up a casual fling that only becomes serious/irrevocable once you pass the point of no return with your actual LI.

IIRC, in Mass Effect 3 Garrus and Tali could hook up if they weren't your Shepard's LI. But yes, it is quite rare to see such things in CRPGs.
    Also Iron Bull + Dorian in DAI.

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Regarding how likeable or trustworthy Lae'zel, Astarion etc. are, I think that's an interesting difference in how people approach these kind of games. For me, my character is not me, they're someone about whom I'm creating a story. So I'm perfectly happy keeping companions around who are shady or rude if they're also narratively interesting (or funny). Maybe in real life I would tell them to jog on, but the point of the game is that it's not real life, no?

For my 1st playthrough, I was sold on Lae'zel the moment I rescued her from the cage. You get a dialogue option to ask her to say thank you, and while she's still in the cage she grits her teeth and says NEVER. It seemed pretty clear at that point that while she might make life hard for my character, she was probably going to be a blast to have along.

To my taste, being bland is a much bigger sin for companion characters. Looking at you, Gale and Halsin. Wyll only gets a pass because of Mizora.
    My character isn't me either. I wouldn't go around poking through all the drawers, bookshelves and chests I come across for loose change and scrolls, nor would I be unaffected by/remain well-adjusted after meting out swathes of violence, however justified or unavoidable.

However, for me - playing good heroic characters who encourage their companions to also be heroic and good, while also being both competent and implacable in the face of evil or horror, is definitely a power fantasy I come to games like this for.. I'd wager it is for most folks who aim for a Good/Paragon run. That's not to say I don't want edgelord miseryguts around, but if it's not possible to sway them to idealism then I lose interest. Thankfully that's not the case for Astarion, but it being more difficult to get the right combination of approval points to sway him without constantly backstepping when he routinely disapproves of me being nice is... well, grating.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Huh, weird, Karlach actually took a while for me to get much approval from, despite me using her a lot. And she never did anything like that even once I got her approval up. Heck, thinking about it, she's still the one character who never came on to my character. Even after her engine tune-up to let her safely touch people again, when I was expecting it to happen, I had some opportunities to flirt with her (but didn't take them), and she did mention wanting to find someone to shack up with now that she could, but she never actively approached me about it, unlike everyone else.
    At least in my game, Karlach and Halsin were far and away the easiest characters for me to get positive approval from, being CG and NG (as far as I can tell anyway) respectively. My first and canon playthroughs are usually goody-goody in games like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Spoiler: Early Act 3
    Show

The first time the Emperor revealed himself to us, during the battle against the guards of Orpheus, i tried to peer his mind to get more information about the situation. If i could trust him.

He got annoyed, and said "ok you want to know? Here you go"

And the narrator literally says: "you feel like stopping the giths is the most important thing to do".

This is when i knew this being would never respect me as any sort of equal. He doesnt want someone to explain to, he wants a pet that does what he wants, and when we are on the edge he implants what he desire in my head.

There is no future with this. Even if he's the least of the bad guys, he still is a manipulative being with desolutions of morality.

Honestly? we became friends (more than friends.) I'm sure it's going to bite me in the posterior later, but it was worth it for the achievement if nothing else.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-09-18 at 08:41 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

In other news, shooting somebody with a bow then running up and stabbing them is officially the most elven ranger thing possible. Seriously, this is never going to get old.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

That's not to say I don't want edgelord miseryguts around, but if it's not possible to sway them to idealism then I lose interest. Thankfully that's not the case for Astarion, but it being more difficult to get the right combination of approval points to sway him without constantly backstepping when he routinely disapproves of me being nice is... well, grating.
    That's a problem I'm running into with him right now myself. He's the one companion I still only have at medium approval, and right at the moment, in early Act 3, I'm getting as much disapproval from him as approval, because he seems to just disapprove of me offering to help people half the time, and me actually doing things that earn his approval seems to be quite rare.

At least in my game, Karlach and Halsin were far and away the easiest characters for me to get positive approval from, being CG and NG (as far as I can tell anyway) respectively. My first and canon playthroughs are usually goody-goody in games like this.
    Same. What I mean is that despite not having a problem getting "Karlach Approves" messages, and rarely if ever getting any disapproval, her actual approval rating didn't seem to rise as quickly as the others. She was still at medium approval when everyone else besides Astarion was at Very High or Exceptional. I think it may be because of her lack of personal side-quests in the first two acts - everybody else gets things that directly relate to them and often seem to offer a lot of approval, while Karlach just gets the initial quest to deal with the fake Paladins hunting her, and the brief side-quest of getting her engine tuned up once in each of the first two acts.

In other news, shooting somebody with a bow then running up and stabbing them is officially the most elven ranger thing possible. Seriously, this is never going to get old.
    Funny enough, I'm doing that in reverse with Astarion. He dual-wields hand crossbows, casts a spell (I changed him into a Bard) and then fires an off-hand crossbow shot. Weird that they allow that, but may as well use it since it's there.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2023-09-18 at 11:41 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Barbarian in the Playground

Speaking of romance options, last night was "the party" and I made the rounds to all my companions. When I reached Gale, largely benched so far, he was all "Perhaps if you had spent more time on our friendship, I would show you some magic tonight but, alas, I don't think out companionship is quite on that level yet..."

On one hand, lol whatever dude. On the other hand, getting shut down by friggin' Gale feels like failing that DC 2 check at the start of the game.

I do agree with others that it would be nice if there was a clearer path to platonic hanging out. I'd love to kill a bottle of wine with Shadowheart and kvetch about things if she wasn't going to get mopey and pissed that I don't want to make out with her.

My bard's rocking the double hand crossbows to great effect when not casting (and as a BA when casting). Vicious Mockery is amusing but "dead" > "disadvantage"
    Last edited by Jophiel; 2023-09-19 at 11:02 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    What does "Add to Wares" mean?
    Figured it out: If you have a thing you are not allowed to sell (like the various Absolute-powered magic items... you can use them if you have the brand of the absolute from the goblin shaman), you can add them to wares, then sell them.

So far, my biggest complaints are UI. No Pause. Default action for party member in the field is start conversation (which is really annoying when they walk in front of your cursor). Can't easily switch between party members in camp (have to start a conversation), to say nothing of organizing gear. Party members queuing up one way on the initiative line, but another way in practice.

Very frustrating.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #1160

Honestly? we became friends (more than friends.) I'm sure it's going to bite me in the posterior later, but it was worth it for the achievement if nothing else.
    I mean, good for you! My reasoning was my Character's rather than mine. I really hope you turn out happy and that my choice bites me in the ass. Its all fine to me.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Colossus in the Playground

Figured it out: If you have a thing you are not allowed to sell (like the various Absolute-powered magic items... you can use them if you have the brand of the absolute from the goblin shaman), you can add them to wares, then sell them.

So far, my biggest complaints are UI. No Pause. Default action for party member in the field is start conversation (which is really annoying when they walk in front of your cursor). Can't easily switch between party members in camp (have to start a conversation), to say nothing of organizing gear. Party members queuing up one way on the initiative line, but another way in practice.

Very frustrating.
    Also, when things get a bit exciting in combat, I keep misclicking so that my characters shoot/stab the ground two inches to the left of an enemy instead of the enemy. Sure, that's on me, but an "are you sure" or a bigger hitbox would be nice?
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Also, when things get a bit exciting in combat, I keep misclicking so that my characters shoot/stab the ground two inches to the left of an enemy instead of the enemy. Sure, that's on me, but an "are you sure" or a bigger hitbox would be nice?
    I'd be happy with a 'snap to nearest' effect with the option of holding down a button to temporary turn that off for precision clicking.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Firbolg in the Playground

If it's a frequent issue you can target enemies by clicking their portrait in the Initiative bar. Ditto for allies and your party screen on the left.

24. - Top - End - #1164

So, I am playing on Steam and just discovered that two achievements are tied to romantic subplots; not even a generic romantic subplot, ones with specific characters that I am not very fond of. Ugh.

Anyway, for my second playthrough I decided to give a look to QoL mods and let me say this; if you're a modder, thanks from the heart.

25. - Top - End - #1165

So, I am playing on Steam and just discovered that two achievements are tied to romantic subplots; not even a generic romantic subplot, ones with specific characters that I am not very fond of. Ugh.

Anyway, for my second playthrough I decided to give a look to QoL mods and let me say this; if you're a modder, thanks from the heart.
    I'll probably find some sort of big difficulty rebalance and have myself a 6-people party. Shennanigans are too fun to enact.

Edit: actually wondering if merely cutting up the XP gain could serve as automatic rebalance.

Like, 6 party members mean 50% more, 1/1.5 = 66.66% xp modifier for oversized parties.

Going all the way to the endgame, maaaaybe i wouldn't even be able to reach level 12.
    Last edited by Cikomyr2; 2023-09-19 at 03:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I do wish more games would embrace "You have 8 NPC companions and all of them are here in this fight with you."

I mean, ME2 at least made my entire squad matter in the endgame, by sending them off to do things.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I like my turn based games to not take 10 minutes a turn and/or melt my computer running the effects and AI for giant parties and the buckets of enemies it takes to fight them. If the price of that is some story discontinuity, in a genre as already narratively compromised as an RPG, I'll happily pay it.

The only turn based RPG I can think of that handled a large party well was the Dungeon of Nahuilbeck, which pulled it off by having very easy to manage characters. Most of the time the tactics reduced to positioning and target selection for standard attacks, with pretty minimal usage of fairly straightforward activated abilities.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I'll probably find some sort of big difficulty rebalance and have myself a 6-people party. Shennanigans are too fun to enact.

Edit: actually wondering if merely cutting up the XP gain could serve as automatic rebalance.

Like, 6 party members mean 50% more, 1/1.5 = 66.66% xp modifier for oversized parties.

Going all the way to the endgame, maaaaybe i wouldn't even be able to reach level 12.
    I've got a 'trainer' program that I can use to manipulate XP gain (among a bunch of other things). It pairs well with the mod to allow you to have more than 4 people in a party. Though, its probably not the best idea to run around with a party that large, as the encounters are often designed for a certain action economy.

I get around that whole issue by playing multiplayer and having two (or more) groups running around and doing different quests at the same time. All experience is shared for all the companions, and makes the game go by quicker.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

I do wish more games would embrace "You have 8 NPC companions and all of them are here in this fight with you."

I mean, ME2 at least made my entire squad matter in the endgame, by sending them off to do things.
    I feel like the only way to do that without bogging things down too much is with a Fire Emblem-style strategy RPG. And even those tend to want more characters than you deploy, in order to give the player options. And personally, I'd rather RPGs be giving me options about which companions I use than try to force themselves to either have so few companions or such a large simultaneously playable party that everyone is always used.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Titan in the Playground

Had a break, came back and restarted agai. For two reasons: I'm going to make Astarion my archer, and this party needs some shorty representation.

So playing a Halfling Noble Monk (Open Hand), and will switch Astarion to Ranger (either Hunter or Gloom Stalker) as soon as I can. Still going to go pretty heavy I. The warriors, with Shadowheart, and later maybe Halsin, providing magical support.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.