New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire: Howl of the Carrion King [IC]

As soon as Khair mentions them, Dashki seems happy for the shift in conversation. “Terrible critters what crawled up from the Darklands below the earth. ‘Jackal rats,’ some folks call ’em, on account of their pointed little heads. They worship gnolls as gods and infest their communities like rats. Wherever pugwampis go, bad luck is sure to follow. The gnolls hate pugwampis because of it, and try to kill them all the time. But they always come back. Perhaps their bad luck caused the fortune-man’s candles to start a fire? Yes, pugwampis. I am certain it was pugwampis.”

None of the PCs have ever heard of such a ridiculous thing. True, the world is full of strange and wondrous creatures, but this sounds like horsefeathers .... typical road fare of many a camel jockey. And yet, the man's sincerity tells you that at least Dashki seems to believe in this superstitious poppycock.

Alahazra asks, "And before the fire? What were you doing?"

Dashki breaks down and admits that he may be “a bit too fond” of Almah, but continues to plead his innocence regarding the fire.
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

”So we heard from around camp and from Almah’s personal guards. They are skilled men you know. Able to spot you hiding in the trees near Almah’s tent at the time of the fire.” Khair says pointedly before continuing, ”This is why I believe you didn’t start the fire. If you saw any detail or peculiarities this morning it could clear up the mystery behind this fire. It could help prove this was an unfortunate accident or reveal that someone perhaps wishes this whole endeavor harm.”

3. - Top - End - #33

Dashki has nothing else to add.

What now?
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

”Thank you for your time Dashki. I wish you a good evening and a pleasant rest.” Khair says before departing with the others.

Once out of earshot, Khair will say to the party, “I think he was telling the truth. Which means I have no suspects as to who started the fire, save for perhaps Eloais and an errant candle. Let us report back to Almah and Garavel. It seems as though this tragedy was a tragic accident.”

With that, Khair moves to meet with Garavel to report their findings or lack-thereof.

5. - Top - End - #35

Khair (et. al.) find Garavel first, and the major domo takes them to Almah's tent for the PCs to render final judgment.

What do you say, now that you are in front of Almah?
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

Bowing respectfully to princess Almah upon his arrival, Khair takes the initiative to begin his report.

”Lady Almah, we have conducted interviews with the other members of the caravan, and a search of the wreckage for clues. Our interviews placed Dashki as the prime suspect but there was nothing backing the suspicion besides rumor and gossip. Dashki was later cleared by witness testimony from your personal guards as to his location at the time of the incident. While interviewing Dashki himself, he was noticeably nervous, denying vehemently that he was to blame. I believe he is telling the truth in no small part due to your guard’s testimony. I believe it to be self-awareness of his actions and awareness of the camps views and finger pointing that led to his evasiveness. Searching the wreckage provided no clues as to how the fire started. Without any evidence of foul play, it is my determination that the fire was accidental in nature barring any further clues you could provide us Lady Almah.”

7. - Top - End - #37

"I, however, have questions," says Alahazra. "Khair has performed as excellent an unbiased investigation as could be performed, but I know that the truth hides in the shadow while mysteries love to tantalize."

She bows her head to Khair, though it is difficult to divine the meaning of the bow. "Garavel, you directed us to investigate, but what are your feelings on this matter?"

Garavel, "I have strong suspicions, but it would be wrong of me to voice them, since you have brought back testimony."

"Go ahead, Garavel," coaxes Lady Almah.

Garavel clears his throat and sighs. "I've never trusted Dashki, and if anyone in the group were revealed as an arsonist and murderer, Dashki would be least surprising to me."

"Maybe not for this investigation, but it tells me much nonetheless," says Alahazra. She then looks to Lady Almah. "Dashki is obviously obsessed with you, for he was spying upon you when the fire began. He is innocent of crime, but not of discretion or judgment. What can you tell me of Eloais, if only to give us more insight into the man?"

Almah begins, "I hired Eloais in Solku about a month ago to read cards for me -- I haven't visited the lands of my ancestors, but having a harrower at my side felt 'right.'" Here she seems a little reticent before continuing. "I'm honestly not convinced the fire was arson, actually, but I had hoped that if it was, you could find out quickly." She adds bitterly, "How would you feel if one of your friends was burned to death?"

She grows more thoughtful, "I didn't realize Dashki was obsessed with me. I didn't have a romantic relationship with Eloais, if that's where any of this questioning lies, but I did spend a lot of time with the Varisian -- which could have made Dashki jealous."

Little Trevorn gives Almah both a jump when they comes forward and a smile, for the adorable little cactus-person is both disturbing and disarming. "Lady Almah, can you tell us anything else - even if it is just a feeling, suspicion, or instinct ... not just about the fire, but Eloais or his interactions with you? Something he may have done or said that may point to something .... a little off?"

As Trevorn speaks, Alahazra puts a slightly singed Harrow card onto an ottoman ... face down.

Lady Almah looks to the two - Alahazra and Trevorn and slowly nods. "Eloais' readings had grown increasingly grim, and his last reading centered on an auspicious card, the Cyclonek portending death by fire and schemes by powerful evil."

At that, Alahazra turns over the Cyclone for all to see, much to the gasp and amazement of everyone around. "I wonder," voices Alahazra, "if it is less about a fire tonight, and more about our destination Kelmarane."

Almah admits, "Yes, I asked the same about that card and Kelmarane. He told me that it was, but that the village is only a small part of something much larger ... something he called the 'Legacy of Fire.' Alas, I am not sure what he meant by 'Legacy of Fire."

"Ha!" barks Alain. "So, the oracle would try to scare us into believing that we are being haunted by some powerful force of fate that terrifies fortune tellers and witches. Why not believe in pugwampis as well?! Ridiculous."

"What's a pugwampi?" asks Almah.

"If it pleases the Lady Almah..." says Onyebuchi apologetically for speaking to someone so far above his station. He continues with a nod from Almah, "Dashki mentioned pugwampis as a possible cause. Not because he saw them, but because of common superstition among caravan guards. It sounds to me like some sort of 'road gremlin' that causes havoc. Maybe they're real?"

Alahazra follows onto this, "Even if they are not, the gods work their will through agents, and not through divine intercession ... at least not without a greater effect than we've seen. I could have believed a simple and unfortunate accident were it not for the weave of fate so heavily pressing upon this matter .... which means that if fate decreed the burning of Eloais' wagon, it is more likely that such heavy-handedness would come from an intermediary and not simple accident. Be pugwampis real or no, perhaps there is an unknown party nearby that plays just such a part."

Almah smiles at Alahazra. “If my expert is correct,” she says, “the hills around here should be crawling with these pugwampis - what we'll call our unknown messengers of Fate, or at least some sign of their passage. If what Dashki says is true, it should be easy for him to find one and bring it back to me.”

She then turns to Khair and the others. “As he is, however, our best suspect in this affair, it would not do to send him out into the darkness alone. I’m afraid that your investigation is not yet at and end. Go out into the desert with Dashki and find me one of these pugwampis, such as we name our unknown aggressor. I will accept nothing short of a captured one or its carcass, not just tales of strange signs."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-08-07 at 01:30 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

With an arm over his heart in salute and a confident smile on his face, Khair declares, ”A paladin of the Everlight fears no darkness! Especially not while in pursuit of truth. If enemies and ill actors hide in the shadows I will do all in my power to bring them to light!”

Calming his fervor, Khair continues, “Of course if we do happen to be jumping at shadows, what then? If we away on a wild Pugwampi hunt, how long do we delay our march on Kelmarane?”

9. - Top - End - #39

"Just start with a search tonight, in case any agency left any sign," says Almah. "And remember, take Dashki with you."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

Khair nods and steps back to let the others speak if they have their own concerns.

Once it is clear the audience is done, Khair will bow once more to take his leave.

Once outside with the others, Khair asks, ”Does anyone have any preparations to make before we go?

11. - Top - End - #41

With the group outside now, Alain shakes his head. "I will not risk hobbling Donanahan stamping around in the dark, and something would hear me coming some distance off in my armor ... unless you would think I would go out unarmored in the dark. I tell you what, Khair. I offer my services as a groom to you to make sure your horse is taken care of for the evening so you don't risk yours as well, and I will stay behind and provide my sword to the camp should trouble come."

Alahazra says to Khair. "You know I have poor vision, and now to go out into the dark. I fear I would be a liability." She turns to the others, "Will the rest of you accompany Khair on his wider investigation?"

Onyebuchi, Trevor and their hunting cactus, and even the slave girl - who offers to carry a torch if someone will give one to her - are willing to do this.

Khair, is that acceptable?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

”Sounds like we have a plan. I will grab some torches off of Platinum then I should be ready.” Khair explains before heading off to collect some of his torches.

After that task is complete and if no one in the scouting party has any other prep to do, Khair will lead the way to find Dashki.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Equipment change: 8 torches from Platinum to Khair. Should bring Khair to just a hair under a med load.

13. - Top - End - #43

Alright, you found Dashki.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

Spotting their tracker, Khair raises a hand in greeting, ”We meet again Dashki! I come with word that Lady Almah has a task for you that we are to assist you with. Concerned that the fire may have been caused by outside interference, Lady Almah has tasked you with searching for tracks leading outside the camp. Once you lead us to them, we will capture or kill any hostile agent before reporting back to Lady Almah.”

15. - Top - End - #45

Dashki spits, "Foolishness! You say I should go search for tracks ... in the dark. And then come back to you with my findings? Very well, how long do I have to search?"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

”Half right Sir Dashki,” Khair explains, ”What I meant is that we will leave camp in search of these tracks. I expect the search to last until we find something or the whole night. Whichever comes first. I should have enough torches to last us.”

17. - Top - End - #47

"Is it every man to a torch?" asks Onyebuchi. "Or are we splitting them up, or how would you like to do this, sahib?"
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

Thinking a moment, Khair replies, ”I only have eight torches and I wouldn’t want to burn through them too quickly. If we burn two torches at a time they can last us about four hours. Would that be enough light?”

19. - Top - End - #49

Dashki just looks sullen. Zaihi and Onyebuchi both volunteer to hold torches. The torches are lit, and the trouble-hunters set out.

It is the rugged hills at night. The party tries to negotiate the rocky terrain and its many painful cacti, relying on the torches. As the hunters proceed into the wilderness, the torches cast creepy, uneven shadows. Phantom creatures haunt the underbrush—or at least seem to until closer inspection reveals nocturnal birds or rodents.

Dashki says quietly, "From stories I've been told, we're looking for a little humanoid creature that’s much smaller than a halfling, with light fur, dirty claws, and a tiny jackal head."

During the search, the party completely misses something, but Dashki's training helps him to notice. There appear to be dozens of small footprints leading to and from the camp at Sultan's Claw, finally retreating into the darkness of the hill country. Dashki also notes the hesitant tread of what must surely be the camel driver's missing goat, which appears to have been pulled away against its will to the northwest.

Since you have a job to do, there's no question about having Dashki follow those tracks. After following the trail for several hundred feet, Khair feels an inexplicable rise in the natural tension of the environment, as if he expects something terrible to happen even though nothing about the terrain has changed. Soon thereafter, a sound not unlike the brief cry of a human child comes out of the darkness ahead. The slave girl Zaihi, with Trevorn's help, determines that the sound must be coming from the lost goat, though the timbre of the cry makes it sound as if the creature is in pain.

What do you do?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

Sensing a possible threat ahead, Khair checks his battle readiness before casting his senses forward to detect malignant forces.

While concentrating on his supernatural senses, Khair warns the others, ”Be ready.”

Show
    Will cycle Essence through my veils to check my total E available and that Marid’s Sandals are working burnt E should have recovered by now since it would only take two minutes when ‘resting’. If everything is back will leave the Sandals with 2 and Scimitar with 2.

Will cast and begin concentration on both his Detect Evil and Detect Undead Spell like Abilities since the detect undead Crusader’s Training says he can use both at the same time!

21. - Top - End - #51

Khair checks in with himself, finding his energy refreshed. He reforms his veil, putting essentia into it, and in so doing makes it visible again. He detects neither the stain of sin nor the mockery of life.

Onyebuchi smiles. "I never had occasion to speak with you, sahib, but I couldn't help notice that you are a veilweaver of akasha. If I am not mistaken, are those not the marid's sandals? That's how you sped to the fire, yes? They are bound to your feet and you can trip and drown enemies?"

Trevorn nods, "I am sure that's it, too.

"Master Khair, shall I go ahead to make sure it seems safe? We are not stealthy all, what with our torches in open, but broken land, at night."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

Nodding his head Khair confirms Onyebuchi and Trevorn’s suspicions about his veil. ”Indeed it is Marid’s Sandals shaped and bound as you say. I have a sense that not all is right. There is a tension and unease I cannot quell… We shall advance together. If stealth is already lost to us then there is no reason to sacrifice strength in numbers as well.”

He looks to his allies for a moment to see if they disagree, before nodding and beginning to advance towards the goat. He concentrates on his senses both supernatural and innate as he slowly makes his way forwards.

Show
    Will begin to cautiously advance towards the sound of injured goat. Concentrating on Detect Evil/Undead as Khair goes.

23. - Top - End - #53

As the PCs progress toward the sound, the local cacti grow more and more intense, until the hunters find themselves at the edge of a dense thicket of the prickly plants. The sound of the bleating goat is now obvious to everyone—and it seems to be coming from somewhere deep within the cacti. Khair still senses no evil, no undead, but the tension is higher still.

The cactus forest, though very wide, is not so terribly deep. Only 25 feet separate the PCs from the trapped goat, but the thickness of the growth would require 3 rounds of careful maneuvering before a PC could make it to the other side. (You have not made this travel yet.)

With the light sources the party carries, their vision can in dim light spot Rombard the goat, tethered to a scrub bush by a hairy, knotted length of rope. As soon as the farther reaches of the light sources fall on Rombard, the goat’s tiny bleats erupt into full-fledged brays of fear as it tugs in vain at the rope around its neck.

What do you do?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Khair

Khair relaxes some at seeing just Rombard trapped in a prickly patch rather than the crueler fates he imagined. ”We should try to startle it as little as possible.” Khair says to the others, “Let me try to go calm it down. Keep watch for me.”

With that, Khair tries to carefully traverse the Cactus patch to Rombard. Cooing and otherwise trying to calm the goat as much as he can.

Show
    Khair will try to get to Rombard. If I can attempt it from a distance, Handle Animal to calm Rombard down some or otherwise stay put as I approach.

25. - Top - End - #55

Khair moves carefully - half speed - to start working his way to Rombard.

Khair, roll two Acrobatics checks....
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Perform(Dance): (1d20+12)[14]

Perform(Dance)2 (Electric Boogaloo): (1d20+12)[22]

Gotta love that Dance in Lieu of Acrobatics trait.

27. - Top - End - #57

Khair begins making his way through the thickets, using his knowledge of dance and bodily kinesthetics and proprioperception to aid him as best as possible, but he takes 1 from quills ... not quite lucky enough.

Khair, you've made it past the first of three sections. Roll Acrobatics twice more....
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Grunting at the small prick he receives, Khair continues on.

Show
    Perform(Dance): (1d20+12)[21]

Perform(Dance)2: (1d20+12)[31]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Final Set
    Show
    Perform(Dance): (1d20+12)[21]
    Perform(Dance)2: (1d20+12)[24]

30. - Top - End - #60

Khair emerges on a thin, wide strip at the edge of a 15'-wide ravine. A casual glance down the edge reveals a huge multi-armed, wickedly barbed cactus dominating the ground 10' below the ledge, almost directly below where the sad little goat Rombard has been lazily tied to a scrub bush. He's covered in quills and blood, and he's bleating and moving about frantically.

Khair, what do you do?
    Show