New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: OOC II: DH The Purity of Sacrifice

Marc will cast Mind Scan: (1d100)[74] vs TN 70 (55 will + 20 psy rating + 5 power well + 10 discipline focus - 20 for multiple powers sustained)

A second cast if the first one fails: (1d100)[5] vs TN 70
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Groovy, she struggles the first time but nails it the second time.

Now the fun and convoluted part - Opposed Willpower rolls!

This is potentially a long post. I promise I'm not trying to be annoying, but with the nature of PBP, it ultimately saves time over back and forthing one roll each a day, because if you lose an opposed willpower roll at any stage of 5 rounds, the power ends and you have to cast it and start again. This power is definitely the type that suits sitting around a table together rolling dice. Again, sorry fellow players and GM, but I write this with the intent of saving time and cutting down tedium, not adding to it.

So I'm going to make a bunch of 'opposed willpower roll' sets that Bennosuke can use for the narrative.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind Scan 1: (Already cast)
    Round 1: (1d100)[54] vs TN 65
    Round 2: (1d100)[7] vs TN 65
    Round 3: (1d100)[72] vs TN 65
    Round 4: (1d100)[15] vs TN 65
    Round 5: (1d100)[22] vs TN 65

Spare opposed Willpower roll in case of tie: (1d100)[35] vs TN 65

Mind Scan 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting roll: (1d100)[33] vs TN 70
    Second Casting roll if first fails: (1d100)[93] vs TN 70)
    Round 1: (1d100)[12] vs TN 65
    Round 2: (1d100)[15] vs TN 65
    Round 3: (1d100)[20] vs TN 65
    Round 4: (1d100)[45] vs TN 65
    Round 5: (1d100)[54] vs TN 65

Spare opposed Willpower roll in case of tie: (1d100)[21] vs TN 65

Mind Scan 3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting roll: (1d100)[99] vs TN 70
    Second Casting roll if first fails: (1d100)[94] vs TN 70)
    Round 1: (1d100)[23] vs TN 65
    Round 2: (1d100)[32] vs TN 65
    Round 3: (1d100)[70] vs TN 65
    Round 4: (1d100)[3] vs TN 65
    Round 5: (1d100)[98] vs TN 65

Spare opposed Willpower roll in case of tie: (1d100)[36] vs TN 65

Mind Scan 4:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting roll: (1d100)[28] vs TN 70
    Second Casting roll if first fails: (1d100)[56] vs TN 70)
    Round 1: (1d100)[52] vs TN 65
    Round 2: (1d100)[6] vs TN 65
    Round 3: (1d100)[69] vs TN 65
    Round 4: (1d100)[15] vs TN 65
    Round 5: (1d100)[54] vs TN 65

Spare opposed Willpower roll in case of tie: (1d100)[92] vs TN 65

Mind Scan 5:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting roll: (1d100)[25] vs TN 70
    Second Casting roll if first fails: (1d100)[8] vs TN 70)
    Round 1: (1d100)[99] vs TN 65
    Round 2: (1d100)[97] vs TN 65
    Round 3: (1d100)[23] vs TN 65
    Round 4: (1d100)[21] vs TN 65
    Round 5: (1d100)[31] vs TN 65

Spare opposed Willpower roll in case of tie: (1d100)[55] vs TN 65

Mind Scan 6:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting roll: (1d100)[13] vs TN 70
    Second Casting roll if first fails: (1d100)[43] vs TN 70)
    Round 1: (1d100)[70] vs TN 65
    Round 2: (1d100)[33] vs TN 65
    Round 3: (1d100)[87] vs TN 65
    Round 4: (1d100)[23] vs TN 65
    Round 5: (1d100)[53] vs TN 65

Spare opposed Willpower roll in case of tie: (1d100)[86] vs TN 65

Mind Scan 1 or Mind Scan 2 should do it. If the agent fails their Willpower roll in Round 3 of Mind Scan 1, then the 'spare opposed roll' substitutes.

If she succeeds, then it's onto Mind Scan 2 and Marc will use a FP to re-roll that 33, warp phenomena.

Mind Scan 1:
    Round 1: 1 success.
    Round 2: 5 successes.
    Round 3 (assuming other target fails, thus resulting in tie and using the 'spare' roll): 3 successes.
    Round 4: 5 successes.
    Round 5: 4 successes.

Mind Scan 2: (will use a FP if necessary to re-roll the 33, warp phenomena)
    Round 1: 5 successes.
    Round 2: 5 successes.
    Round 3: 4 successes.
    Round 4: 2 successes.
    Round 5: 1 successes.

Thanks for being patient with these walls of text guys. Do with these as thou wilt, Mr GM. Each round is about 5 seconds, so as long as this looks, it takes about 2 minutes in game time.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-08-25 at 01:24 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

@bennosuke

im assuming to pat down the woman is a search roll?

also, how much would you charge for a small laser cutter meant to simply slice through deadbolts? i imagine its mostly of use in the mid and lower hive, as the deadbolts are cheaper. i also imagine it can slice around key locks by simply popping it against the lock and turning the cutter around on its axis

the power cell is middling, and is best against steel and rocrete

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The environment that we're in atm, I'd imagine, is very similar to the Lord Inquisitor short animated movie that came out a few years back, particularly from about the middle onwards.

Just in case anyone wants some more more atmosphere.
    For a little bit of additional context, in case it helps, it's like that but probably a lot brighter and sunnier. The citizens on Helius, and especially Hapheastein are essentially sun and fire worshipers. While the middle and lower hives live under toxic clouds created by the refining of Promethium, insulating and creating a cold underworld, the upper hive spires reach well above the layer of toxic filth, basking in the light and heat of the planet's duel suns. Sun exposure, darker skin and clothing in the colors red, orange and yellow are all indicators of wealth and nobility on Helius, so there is a lot of bright colors and buildings with oversized windows and ornate glass.

Okay... on to the WP rolls. These will be at a base TN 25 due to the Dominate penalty. However, I am going to increase the characters WP by 10 for each attempt Marcella makes at this power, since we are assuming they should be better at fighting her off.
    (1d100)[100]
    (1d100)[65]
    (1d100)[75]
    (1d100)[10]
    (1d100)[97]

So second attempt will be at TN 35

(1d100)[46]
    (1d100)[56]
    (1d100)[96]
    (1d100)[43]
    (1d100)[40]

@bennosuke

im assuming to pat down the woman is a search roll?

also, how much would you charge for a small laser cutter meant to simply slice through deadbolts? i imagine its mostly of use in the mid and lower hive, as the deadbolts are cheaper. i also imagine it can slice around key locks by simply popping it against the lock and turning the cutter around on its axis

the power cell is middling, and is best against steel and rocrete
    I think you are describing a Lascutter as detailed in the core book for 65 thrones, average rarity. And I think just a Perception roll at +10 since presumably the woman can't resist.

EDIT: So Marcella does not get booted, but at the end of the contest is only able to make it to Level 4 (subconscious) as she did not pass one of her tests.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2023-08-26 at 04:33 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

@bennosuke

you're the gm, but i was hoping for something a little less bulky and noticeable. something i could pull out of a pocket to cut through a lock, and is really only good for one or two uses before the cell is drained. ma

i take it i am welcome to suggest kit, and you are free to refuse me?

also, marcella, i suggest we roll the pram with a live frag grenade down the alley and into them. You're welcome to disregard my suggestion ofc

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The three questions:
    1. Drimmles current status, where he's located, is he calling the shots or is he being "minded" (i.e was he relatively loyal to us or not).
    2. Their organisation and who they work for and why they are following us and their mission.
    3. Their current deployment locations and area coverage, numbers, security at Drimmles current location etc.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-08-26 at 08:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    @bennosuke

you're the gm, but i was hoping for something a little less bulky and noticeable. something i could pull out of a pocket to cut through a lock, and is really only good for one or two uses before the cell is drained. ma

also, marcella, i suggest we roll the pram with a live frag grenade down the alley and into them. You're welcome to disregard my suggestion ofc
    Maybe pay for the Compact weapon upgrade for it?

Maybe grenades going off will draw too much more attention lol. The way I envision our current position, we took the spy down an alley and around a corner, so away from the main streets. Here, few people will hear suppressed pistols going off and a melee fight. But they will hear genades exploding lol.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-08-26 at 09:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post

Maybe grenades going off will draw too much more attention lol. The way I envision our current position, we took the spy down an alley and around a corner, so away from the main streets. Here, fee people will hear suppressed pistols going off and a melee fight. But they will hear genades exploding lol.
    understood

dibs on the shock weapon

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hah if there's any "loot" we'll pool it, sell it and split it evenly to help fund our cell .

That's probably a Good quality shock maul at least, worth about 450 thrones. Gold and with gems and everything in it? Pfft could even be Best quality and worth 1,500 lol. That kinda money gets thrown around up here like nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    For a little bit of additional context, in case it helps, it's like that but probably a lot brighter and sunnier. The citizens on Helius, and especially Hapheastein are essentially sun and fire worshipers. While the middle and lower hives live under toxic clouds created by the refining of Promethium, insulating and creating a cold underworld, the upper hive spires reach well above the layer of toxic filth, basking in the light and heat of the planet's duel suns. Sun exposure, darker skin and clothing in the colors red, orange and yellow are all indicators of wealth and nobility on Helius, so there is a lot of bright colors and buildings with oversized windows and ornate glass.
    Interesting, I also figured it'd be similar to Columbia, from Bioshock Infinite, with all these beautifully crafted and ornate old timey buildings amidst the clouds, only on a marge larger 40k scale.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-08-27 at 02:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Just a friendly reminder that we're supposed to be operating and investigating discreetly. Random acts of explosive terrorism in the upper class neighbourhood is highly likely to attract attention we don't want. I vote no to fragging the attackers.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

This is my beautiful, Ultra-HD rendition of what I'm picturing the situation being. May not be to scale.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-08-27 at 06:32 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm sorry, but I wasn't specifically aware of this being a a bulky and noticeable object; not sure if there is a cannon model I should be familiar with. There isn't much description of it, other than that its 4kg (8lb-ish), and designed in such a way that it can't be used as a weapon. It is described as unwieldy, but I didn't necessarily see this as being gigantic. Instead, I imagined it worked more like a power, where you have to hold it at exactly the same spot for it to work, making it a relatively inneffective weapon. Wasn't trying to be withholding, it just sounded like the item you were describing. I also see nothing in the rules on page 150 about it having only two uses.

However, if you are hoping for a smaller pocket sized version of this device, and have reason to believe the lascutter itself would be too large, you could apply the compact rule to it, increasing the cost to 115 thrones.

Banana apparently beat me to this.

The three questions:
    1. Drimmles current status, where he's located, is he calling the shots or is he being "minded" (i.e was he relatively loyal to us or not).
    2. Their organisation and who they work for and why they are following us and their mission.
    3. Their current deployment locations and area coverage, numbers, security at Drimmles current location etc.
    I will answer these in game if that is okay.

Just a friendly reminder that we're supposed to be operating and investigating discreetly. Random acts of explosive terrorism in the upper class neighbourhood is highly likely to attract attention we don't want. I vote no to fragging the attackers.
    I just want to add to this (having not yet peaked at the IC thread (oh, it could be interesting) that from my perspective, this doesn't have to devolve into combat. The approaching agents are readying weapons, but specifically because the the group of acolytes they were spying on just took one of their companions into a dark alley and they don't know what to expect.

Of course, that sort of misunderstanding is exactly how things can escalate in real life.

EDIT@Banana: Just to clarify, does that mean you are not going to roll again to maintain the Dominate power?

DOUBLE EDIT: @Wynde: **** I forgot to reply to your solo scene. My bad. Will include that in my next IC post now.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2023-08-27 at 05:42 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

EDIT@Banana: Just to clarify, does that mean you are not going to roll again to maintain the dominate power?
    Depends on what the results of the mind scan is. If they get the info they need, then she can use other means to help her fellow acolytes remain "discrete".

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

understood.

milo will let marcella put the woman out of her misery

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Bloodthirsty man lol we don't need to murder everyone we come across .

They're just private intel Drimmle hired. This means he predicted our return and is actively terrified of it. He could still be having his hand forced by Durchess, but it's a vote against him.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-08-27 at 06:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Bloodthirsty man lol we don't need to murder everyone we come across .
    intolerance is one of the great blessings of humanity in the 40k universe

to quote goodnight from the magnificent seven

"you have to hate what your shooting at"

not to sound like a crazy man, but hate is a big part of the imperium of man
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-08-27 at 06:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh yeah @Bennosuke: were these guys orders to bring us in to talk to Drimmle, intimidate us away or eliminate us etc?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As per the IC post, they were just supposed to report your presence.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

As per the IC post, they were just supposed to report your presence.
    cooked up a homebrew weapon for your appraisal

cognitec boltcaster

range 40m | ROF S/-/- damage 1d10+4 X | pen 4 |clip size 6

reflex sight: grants accurate to the gun it is mounted on

motion tracker monocle: +10 to perception when tracking a target by motion or heat signatures

Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-08-28 at 12:35 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Oh yeah @Bennosuke: were these guys orders to bring us in to talk to Drimmle, intimidate us away or eliminate us etc?
    Alternately, Drimmle is afraid of his own superiors and is expecting an unfriendly visit from the Guild. Where we even wearing our Guild disguises when we broke in?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Alternately, Drimmle is afraid of his own superiors and is expecting an unfriendly visit from the Guild. Where we even wearing our Guild disguises when we broke in?

I think so. I checked out the first post of us heading to his place, which is here, and we used our Credit Guilder ID's to gain access. Marcella, at least was wearing her Credit Guilder coat, as per this post. We wore them to fit in easier in the Spire.

So I think what's happened is that Drimmle (whether he is being forced by Durchess or he's a genuine traitor), didn't want to go to the Arbite's for security because that would risk exposure of his part in the conspiracy ("Yes, hello? Arbites? I have members of the Inquisition accusing me of heresy and trafficking in heretical weapons - can you believe the cheeky bastards!"). He also didn't want to tell Durchess because then Durchess would see him as a liability that's talking to the Inquisition. Instead, Drimmle has kept this to himself and hired private security in the hopes of keeping his problem (us) contained, particularly as he likely just sent another team down south. That's my running hypothesis anyway.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-08-28 at 03:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

I think so. I checked out the first post of us heading to his place, which is here, and we used our Credit Guilder ID's to gain access. Marcella, at least was wearing her Credit Guilder coat, as per this post. We wore them to fit in easier in the Spire.
    Right you are.

So I think what's happened is that Drimmle (whether he is being forced by Durchess or he's a genuine traitor), didn't want to go to the Arbite's for security because that would risk exposure of his part in the conspiracy ("Yes, hello? Arbites? I have members of the Inquisition accusing me of heresy and trafficking in heretical weapons - can you believe the cheeky bastards!"). He also didn't want to tell Durchess because then Durchess would see him as a liability that's talking to the Inquisition. Instead, Drimmle has kept this to himself and hired private security in the hopes of keeping his problem (us) contained, particularly as he likely just sent another team down south. That's my running hypothesis anyway.
    Yes, that's definitely a plausible scenario.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Marc is casting Psychic Shriek: (1d100)[78] vs TN 90

It's range is 20 meters (10 base + 10 from overbleed), I think the other 3 were within 10-20 meters.

All four have to make willpower rolls or take 5 levels of fatigue. If they take more fatigue levels than they have toughness bonus then they are knocked unconscious for 10 minus their toughness bonus in minutes.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-08-28 at 06:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Marc is casting Psychic Shriek: [roll0] vs TN 90

It's range is 20 meters (10 base + 10 from overbleed), I think the other 3 were within 10-20 meters.

All four have to make willpower rolls or take 5 levels of fatigue. If they take more fatigue levels than they have toughness bonus then they are knocked unconscious for 10 minus their toughness bonus in minutes.
    i feel milos theme is red sun over paradise from metal gear rising

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rolling WP in resistance to Marcella's power.

Serellia TN 35 (1d100)[34]
    Guardsman TN 40 (1d100)[89]
    Redcoat TN 30 (1d100)[4]
    Shock Cain TN 28 (1d100)[51]
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Can Hound knock Serellia out even though he doesn't have any appropriate talents? She does seem to be severely weakened and at a serious disadvantage in terms trying to stop him.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

She's unlikely to be aware enough to avoid. Give me a Strength test (at +20 if he is going to use a heavy object) and we'll compare it to a toughness check (1d100)[56]
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

I'm thinking she gets whacked over the head with the butt of his pistol.

(1d100)[94] vs. 50 (Str +20)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

I'll give it another go with an FP: (1d100)[51]

Edit: Aaargh! So close!
    Last edited by rax; 2023-08-30 at 02:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Assuming the guy surrenders, we should strip all four of their clothing (leave undergarments; this is because we can sell their expensive looking clothes later and because once they are free, they're not going to go running out into the streets after us while nude, they'll get arrested themselves), take all their weapons and gear, including their comms so we can listen in on what their team is saying. Tie them all up together and gag them.

Drimmle hired 12 of these guys. So that's 4 down, 8 to go, and 6 are at Drimmles apartment.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-08-30 at 09:00 PM.