New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOC II: DH The Purity of Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    I am going to suggest against that.
    suggest away, but milo got a damn good roll, and im not letting it go to waste

#1 if he took delay, thats a half action he can use, so no full auto

i feel milo expected this, so he shouldnt be surprised
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-09-20 at 07:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

His weapon is drawn as well, which means everyone would roll initiative, and Drummer has his finger in the trigger of explosives the group are standing under.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

in that case, i will delay, and when someone comes to take my weapon, im gonna light them on fire with the wrist flamer
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-09-20 at 07:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hey Bennosuke, what does Drimmles ward protect him against? I ask as Marc would know, even though I the player don't, because she's been around them plenty of times before.

And also because it obviously didn't protect him from being telepathically spoken to.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Hey Bennosuke, what does Drimmles ward protect him against? I ask as Marc would know, even though I the player don't, because she's been around them plenty of times before.

And also because it obviously didn't protect him from being telepathically spoken to.
    i believe its protection against psychic attack

https://ultima-tectum.com/hexagrammatic-warding/

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ahh, interesting, thank you for that.

Also, I highly, highly advise against any form of attack or resistance while we are, apparently, standing on explosives.

Now Drimmle is apparently only 4-5 meters away, so the explosives can't be that powerful otherwise he'd get blown off his butt too and catch shrapnel. Also, an explosive going off is definitely going to attract a visit from the Arbites.

@Bennosuke: Would Weapon Jinx shut down the explosives lining the ceiling above the party? They obviously have some type of mechanical trigger that's radio connected to the detonator Drimmle is holding, yes?

And they're unattended inanimate matter, so wouldn't get a willpower roll, and would have to be accesses to "unjam"? (if youre counting them as weapons, which Im assuming you are)

However the power shuts down everything else in 50 meters for a round, so the lights going out for 6 seconds would give away that she's doing something.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-09-21 at 02:18 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hey, Haval, you passed a roll when it counted .

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Also, what Marc is trying to do is appeal to Drimmels self-interest. She's going under the assumption that there are bombs under their feet and that he's reckless or stupid enough (because he's never seen an explosion before) to think he can detonate them just 4 or so meters away from himself and not get shredded by shrapnel.

So she's using the 13th Rule of Power when trying to flip someone to turn them into an ally:

Spoiler
    Show
    13. When asking for help, appeal to people’s self-interest, never to their mercy or gratitude.
    If you need to turn to an ally for help, do not bother to remind him of your past assistance and good deeds. He will find a way to ignore you. Instead, uncover something in your request, or in your alliance with him, that will benefit him, and emphasize it out of all proportion. He will respond enthusiastically when he sees something to be gained for himself.
    • Do not be subtle: you have valuable knowledge to share, you can make him rich, you can make him live longer and happier.
    • Train yourself to see inside other’s needs and interests and desires.
    • Distinguish differences among powerful people and figure out what makes them tick. When they ooze greed, do not appeal to charity; when they want to look charitable and noble, do not appeal to their greed.

Lord Durchiss is toast in the long run, the Inquisition knows about and are moving against him. She's trying to impress on Drimmel that the only way he has of getting out of this situation with his money and reputation intact, or even improved, is through cooperation.

Just letting ya'll know in case you thought it was weird she starts talking about Durchiss for some reason, she's laying that groundwork.

(plus the guy is feeling pretty in charge atm so undermining that confidence helps too)
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-09-20 at 09:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, Haval, you passed a roll when it counted .
    Just got to roll things she's at 50% for

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

As someone who has been a repeated victim of the forum roller, I sympathize 100% lol.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

who are you who is so wise in the way of science

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So fellows, just having a bit of a think of the potentially very lethal situation, just an idea for a plan:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Drimmle is looking tired af. I've seen girls leaving the clubs at 4am without a partner that look better than this guy. Big bags under his eyes, gaunt and frail etc the guy has been stressed the f out. Is this because he's worried about Durchiss finding out? Or because he's been pulling extra shifts to please him? Or because he's been exposed to those weapons Raiders of the Lost Ark style? Who knows, but he's clearly lucid and level-headed enough to plan all this and wait patiently or our return.

My guess is we scared the bajesus out of him last time (we did suffer that 'exposed to demons' warp phenomenon), and he's been terrified of our return and its taken this physical toll on him. That thing around his neck (the hexo ward) is stupidly expensive, because you either have to find one or know someone who can craft it for you (either a psyker, and fat chance because Marc knows all the Psykers in the Hive, or an Adeptus Mechanicus), not to mention the security he's hired and rigging his own house with bombs. He has gone to enormous cost.

My guess is also that he doesn't want to kill us. Well, maybe he does, but he has had a couple of chances to do so. He could've rigged the security tunnel to close and flood with gas. He could've been in his security room, waited for us to enter the antechamber through the front door and blew us up etc the fact he's here, in person, means he's at least open to talking, or is going to try and capture us. Or, he could be stalling for time and waiting for his recovered goons to arrive. There are many possibilities.

2. We need to get out from under the explosives. Now, let's assume that there are explosives. He personally came down here to greet us and stand near the blast radius of bombs lining a high ceiling. Either he's incredibly reckless, or he's never seen an explosion before and hasn't' experienced the g-forces and shrapnel that they throw out. I know I know, by the rules, in game, it's jsut xD10 affecting those within x meters etc but I'm trying to think 'real worldy' here lol. So it's possible it's just a ruse, but it's safer to assume it's not.

In that case, getting out from that blast radius (which is where we're standing) is #1 priority. That is 80% of his deterrent.

3. The big guy with the heavy stubber. Heavy stubbers are basically like MG42's or squad support weapons. The big guy standing there with one aimed at us is terrifying, but there's five of us, a few with really high initiative modifiers (Arl lol), so once we're out of the blast radius, he's the number 1 target, as we want to take Drimmle alive.

So...plan.

Like I said, I think we're better off trying to talk him down initially. If he wanted to kill us, we'd be dead already (or severely crippled). So we try to talk him down while getting ready to get out of that blast radius. We don't know whether he's actually turned traitor against us yet - this could all be his precautions, after all.

If that fails, then...maybe Marc uses Weapon Jinx to neutralise the bombs in the ceiling (they'd have a mechanical means of being remote detonated, they need to receive radio signals of some sort from that remote detonator he's holding, and they're unattended weapons so he'd have to access to them to "unjam" the detonating mechanism which involves physically getting up into the ceiling to work on them, is my current working assumption). However, when she does that, the lights etc are going to go out for 6 seconds or so (1 round) and all the signs that "the witch" is using her powers, and Drimmle will probably get his man to open fire on us then; hopefully by then we can all draw and neutralise the big guy before we all get turned into hamburger meat.

Or Marc can just try to Dominate Drimmle and hope I roll well enough to get the bonuses to willpower to overcome his natural will + his hexo ward, while you guys deal with the big stubber guy who's doubtless been told to open fire if Drimmle starts acting funny.

And that's just my thoughts on it fellows, thank you for coming to my Ted talk.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-09-21 at 03:52 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Always in favour of avoiding combat with a social roll if possible. In theory not killing him also keeps him as a possible source of information.

Might also be worth mentioning that if Drimmle knows about the Inquisition there is arguably no point in killing us. As in if we don't report back the Inquisitor will only send someone less likely to be nice.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Sorry, am I missing something? In which post does it say there are explosives in the ceiling (or under our feet)? All I see mentioned is Drimmle holding what looks like a remote trigger.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Sorry, am I missing something? In which post does it say there are explosives in the ceiling (or under our feet)? All I see mentioned is Drimmle holding what looks like a remote trigger.
    bennosuke let us know ooc

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Okay all, sorry for the delay. Will take a look at the IC thread in a second but will first reply to some of these OOC questions/comments.

Now Drimmle is apparently only 4-5 meters away, so the explosives can't be that powerful otherwise he'd get blown off his butt too and catch shrapnel. Also, an explosive going off is definitely going to attract a visit from the Arbites.
    Sorry for not specifying. As previously stated, the forie... ?forrie?... "foyer"... entranceway is pretty massive, both Drimmle and the massive man are about 10 meters away. And remember, Marcella sensed a third individual...

@Bennosuke: Would Weapon Jinx shut down the explosives lining the ceiling above the party? They obviously have some type of mechanical trigger that's radio connected to the detonator Drimmle is holding, yes?
    The "bomb" can definitely be shut down for a round as it is an electrical device. As per the rules, when an explosive jams (such as the bomb) we would use the Explosive Mishap table on page 137, with 9-10 meaning it goes off as normal. However, both enemies have a bead on the group and if Marcella tries anything, she risks them noticing. Since activating a psychic power requires rolling, I imagine it requires enough effort to show what you are doing, unless you try to "hide it". So if Marcella wants to activate a power without it looking like she is doing so, I will have her make a contested Deceive vs. Perception roll against all enemies who can directly see her.

I am intentionally not looking at Banana's plan, so that I can neither predict the action, nor feel tempted to comment on any good or bad ideas.

That's just an oversight in my post. Anyone who looks above their head will see that there is a suspended makeshift bomb in the shape of a small warhead with coils and wires looping in and out of the thing. It smells of ozone and grease, and appears to be hung by a mechanism that would cut its string if triggered, so that the bomb would fall directly into the space at the entrance of Drimmle's home.

... it is... a cartoon villian's trap
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rolling contested perception for Drimmle vs. 55 (1d100)[69] against Orla who achieved an additional level of success.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

... it is... a cartoon villian's trap
    It's so Wile E. Coyote

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sorry for not specifying. As previously stated, the forie... ?forrie?... "foyer"... entranceway is pretty massive, both Drimmle and the massive man are about 10 meters away. And remember, Marcella sensed a third individual...

The "bomb" can definitely be shut down for a round as it is an electrical device. As per the rules, when an explosive jams (such as the bomb) we would use the Explosive Mishap table on page 137, with 9-10 meaning it goes off as normal. However, both enemies have a bead on the group and if Marcella tries anything, she risks them noticing. Since activating a psychic power requires rolling, I imagine it requires enough effort to show what you are doing, unless you try to "hide it". So if Marcella wants to activate a power without it looking like she is doing so, I will have her make a contested Deceive vs. Perception roll against all enemies who can directly see her.

Ahh, interesting.

So the bomb needs to physically make contact with the ground to detonate? So Drimmle pushes the button, the electrical/mechanical systems above our head "release" the warhead, it drops into our midst and boom?

If that's the case, would Holding Action and using Spectral Hands to 'fling' it mid-flight towards the big guy with the Heavy Stubber work out?

(I swear I'm not a stalker, I'm in paper writing season so I'm glued to my computer 14 hours a day and receive emails from giantitp about new posts lol)

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Possibly, though initiative order would be pretty important here, as the group may be getting sprayed with bullets at the time.

It's so Wile E. Coyote
    Yeah, I think in that way it is also very 40K
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2023-09-22 at 11:25 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Possibly, though initiative order would be pretty important here, as the group may be getting sprayed with bullets at the time.

Yeah, I think in that way it is also very 40K
    are both shriek and stubber boy in range of milos wrist flamer? if so, im gonna need agility tests from both of them

if i have to choose, ill go stubber boy

also, should combat break out, im spending a fp to make my init a 10
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-09-22 at 08:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

They're within 10 meters, Bennosuke mentioned it up in his large response.

So yes, combat has just broken out as Milo decides to ignite his flame thrower over two parties during negotiations while we have a bomb dangling above our heads and another guy is training a machinegun on us .

Pray to the Empeor that Marc can beat Drimmles initiative and mind control him first.

Initiative: (1d10+3)[5]

Uggh I have to burn a fate point for Initiative 10, so Marc has Initiative 13.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-09-22 at 08:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I was thinking avout how to get us out of this from the threat of a huge bomb dropping on us and a guy wjth a machine gun trained on us AND having to try and take Drimmle alive. Fearful Aura is tempting, but there's too higher risk Drimmle or his chum can still act. Likewise, if she dominates Drimmle, machine gun man still turns us into hamburger meat.

Sooo, I think Weapon Jinx is about the best chance we have not to die right now. We'll just have to pray that the jammed bomb doesn't roll a 9-10.

Marcs a voidy so might get her FP back: (1D10)[9] -Sweet! She keeps her fate point!

Weapon Jinx: (1d100)[80] vs TN 80
    Willpower test: (1d100)[86] vs TN 55
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-09-22 at 09:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alright, that buys us 1 round of the detonator/bomb drop device not working (it just "ceases functioning" for a round, it's not jammed, so we don't have to worry about a jammed explosive roll). But the failed willpower roll means she didnt shut down that machine gun.

Gunna FP that willpower test for the sake of party survival: (1d100)[2] vs TN 55

Thank the Emperor. The heavy stubber is Jammed until pigman unjams it by spending a full round action and making a BS test. Then he has to spend 2 full rounds reloading and the ammo that he had previously loaded is lost. Meanwhile the detonator/bomb device won't work for 1 round. Marc spent 2 fate points, but by the Charmed racial of Voidborns she got one back, so she's on 1/2 FPs.

Make it count guys. I recommend everyone spends a move action getting out from under the explosive.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-09-22 at 11:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

milo will roll initiative

(1d10+3)[4]

burn a fp to make that a 13
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-09-22 at 09:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Btw, why was Milo giving marc the middle finger?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Btw, why was Milo giving marc the middle finger?
    no, pointer finger.

i just remembered that the dominate/kill them all wasnt meant for us

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ahh haha allg, I thought he was rubbing it into her face that he wasn't listening to her.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

milo will rub it in drimmles face, should we survive

also, half move out of zone, quick draw orthlack

the other half action is to fire the flamer
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-09-22 at 09:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh yeah, forgot to rolled Charmed when Marc spent her second fate point: (1D10)[9]

Yes! The Emperor smiles on our Telepath today. She's kept both fate points and is 2/2.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-09-22 at 11:20 PM.