New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 29 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Link to the OOC thread

Traveling through the Mist was like swimming in a whirlpool of chaos, desperately reaching for air, dragged towards its vortex in a hazy blur of lights that dazed whoever dared to endure it. For the Pillars that sustained the world were twelve, and six beams of light sat across them in pairs; Drawing from the ancestral powers that ruled before gods and men, the number six manifested across the many worlds laid on top of this foundation. Six were the beams of light, and six were the portals opened through the Mist.

Tall shapes loomed out of the dense fog that surrounded everything. The muddy ground underfoot gave way to slick, wet cobblestones, forming a winding road that slowly lead down to the bottom of the Valley of Barovia. The tall shapes became recognizable as village dwellings; The windows of each house stared out from pools of blackness. Beyond the village, overlooking the valley from thousands of feet above, a massive fortress of grey stone was perched on the edge of an imposing cliff. Its battlements were silhouetted against the night; Its spires pierced the thick layer of clouds that covered the sky, disappearing into the grey nothing.

"When yon river forks, not to join another, but to split itself in two, ye start to wonder: which's the root, and which's the branch? Can both be the same river, or have we now three different currents? Time and space... kin as the faces of a single coin. Twist one, the other dances in tune. Out here in Barovia, things turn wild and wayward: Tellin' what's true from the phantoms in yer mind gets tricky, for time's gone a-wandering. Ye might face weeks-long nights, and days as brief as sunrise. Nightmares as real as real life. Moments where ye don't know if yer dreaming or not."

It was hard to say exactly when, or who arrived first, but all six outsiders eventually gathered by the bonfire placed just outside the village. A tent had been erected here, bright purple and golden, emanating the smell of incense and healing herbs. In front of the tent, by the bonfire, the oldest woman in the world told stories in her cracked voice.

"Just because we found a story in the past, it doesn't mean it is originated there... Death is not absolute. It is possible to hear stories from the future." She looked at each of them, deep in the eyes. "So I will tell you the tale of how you ended up lost in Barovia, and the outcome of your crusade... But I have a price, and its not in gold or silver. Each of you will tell me a story in return, yes you will. Bring me visions from beyond the Mists, stories I haven't heard yet. Then I will look into your future and see your destiny."
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-08-26 at 07:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

The half-orc woman offers to speak first. She stands near the crackling fire and tells her story.

"I am Yikkol Four-Eyes, strangers, though we are allies if you also wish Strahd death. I come across the Salt Sea from a country green and beautiful. Tonight, I will tell you about its founder.

"Once upon a time, my country was ruled by a great king. His name was Guriptu, and he commanded ten thousand men who commanded ten thousand others.

"He wore a cloak made from phoenix feathers and held a sword forged from the essence of a demon. He built canals, artificial rivers, and great temples. He brought fertility and prosperity to every corner of his kingdom.

"But even the greatest men grow old. One day, Guriptu called his high priest to his side.

"'I am dying,' he told his priest. 'My soul wishes to ascend and be unwoven by the Fates. But I am not yet done with my work. How can I live?'

"His high priest thought for a moment. 'We cannot give you eternal life. But when you die, we can steal your soul from Heaven and bring you back—young and replenished.'

"'Do it,' said the king. And when at last he died, that's what his priests did. They snuck into Heaven, grabbed his soul, and slipped away to their temples. They brought him back with salt and diamond, and he rose from the grave young and replenished.

"So he continued his reign. Over the centuries he built schools and temples and lakes, and his people were fat and happy. They marveled at the new world he built for them. They marveled at how he never seemed to age.

"But at the heart of the new world lived a terrible secret. People began to go missing in greater and greater numbers. One night, his high priest found the king with a mystery woman. Around him were the corpses of several others. He was drinking her blood.

"He was a vampire! The high priest realized that his predecessor made a terrible mistake. King Guriptu lunged at him. But the high priest had the Fates on his side. With a prayer, he set the king's phoenix cloak ablaze. While the king struggled to throw it off, the priest seized his demon blade and put it through the king's chest.

"He died; and his soul ascended to Heaven for good, where it was finally unwoven by the Fates. And while there are still princes and princesses, the high priest declared that there would be no new kings or queens. The Church would rule in their stead.

"So ends the tale of Guriptu. And so began the reign of the high priests, which still continues to this day."

Yikkol sits back down and turns to the fortune teller. "Old woman, read victory in my future. Tell me I recover my mother's bones. I will hear nothing less."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 73/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

Herbert is left shaken by his trip. One more thing shaking his world around him and making him less confident in...himself. This has been a year for that. At least Pelor is a constant, a guiding light he can turn to. After a few minutes of prayer, Herbert cast Light on the symbol of Pelor that adorns the boss of his shield and moves forward cautiously, his armor clinking in places as he moves cautiously across the damp streets.

A heavyset human man, he speaks with conviction to the storyteller. "I am Herbert Raycraft. After spending too long working to advance the cause of Pelor in the drawing room, the dining table, and the meetings of the nobles, I was forcibly reminded that doing good means acting, not simply talking." He shares briefly his experiences of the Gray Night. "As for destiny and the future, does that not belong to time and the gods? Yet I do know that some servants of the gods have the ability to peer towards the future as well, so I will listen."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

As someone else gets up to speak, Yikkol whispers to Herbert. "That was a good story, your holyness. But who is Pelor?"

5. - Top - End - #5

Bori

Confused and disoriented by the mists, the halfling hones in on the one familiar thing he can see, a campfire. It was considered bad luck for a member of House Ghallanda to spurn other travellers without good reason, but unease still prickled down his spine.

There's nothing wrong with knowing who I'm sharing a fire with. He reaches out with his senses as he closed with the others, feeling for their spirits and those of the land around him.

Something felt strange and unpleasant in the air around him and the earth beneath his feet. This did not feel like Khorvaire any more, but at least he didn't seem to have wandered into Mabar. Dolurrh, maybe? Can't be dead or Nethis would be here. The mists hadn't seemed connected to the Mournland either

Evening, friends! I am Bori, a humble servant of House Ghallanda. Do you all have ample food and refreshments?
    no reaction to the name Ghallanda, definitely not Khorvaire. He continued on in his usual jovial patter but was glad the tone of the previous story matched his mood. Stories is it? I think I've got another one about Kings and their consequences.

Almost a thousand years ago a human King named Galifar decided, as Kings do, that things would be better if he was in charge of everywhere and everyone. Not necessarily better for the other people's mind, but I do t believe Kings think that way. Well...After much conquering and fighting he'd done it, all of the big town-folk nations his, and noone outside them fancied anymore fighting. Redrew the maps a d everything and put his kids in charge of the old nations so they could practice Kinging and Queening before he chose an heir.

Somehow this worked, more of less, down the centuries without any terrible family squabbles. I don't think that's realistic either, must have had a top Ghallanda cook keeping them all coming back to the family table.in the holidays. Until it didn't at least. One kid wanted to be in charge, not all the siblings agreed...naturally rhe way to solve that argument was to get lots of commom folk to fight it out for them and war reigned for gone a century.

Now war always has lots.of horribleness, but some folk will tell you there was good stuff too. Artificer had a great time, and not just in House Cannith. Lots of fancy new gadgets. Not for fighting mind, I'd live to ride on a Lyrandar airship. Some say they went too far though, the constant arcane artillery, movile fortresses, colossi. Maybe the land rebelled at too much disturbance, maybe it was a new weapon gone wrong, but in the space of hours an entire nation was wiped off the map.

He laughs, a hint of bitterness finally creeping in.

Typically, it was avoiding that catastrophe that meant I stumbled...wherever this is. Some days you can't win I guess. If you can see what the future holds then I'm all ears though. I had obligations back home that I need to get back to.

He settles down to listen and make sure everyone has drinks and snacks.

6. - Top - End - #6

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Breathing heavily from the mist's assault, Lord Varanash eyed the old woman - she reminded him of the Vistani who had brought him here and left him on the road. Was she in league with them? Perhaps she was more than she seemed?

Lord Varanash then looked at the other strangers surrounding the fire. Many of them looked strange, other-worldly, and they spoke of places and people that were unfamiliar to him. Perhaps this place, Barovia, sat at a junction between dimensions? If so, why had they all been brought here together? So many questions swam in his mind; but he doubted he would get any clear answers from the travellers or the old woman in front of them. His best chance at success, or even survival, was to ally with these strangers.

Hearing the Half-Orc woman mention that she wished Strahd dead was comforting though - it would make his quest to claim the castle and it's power as his own much easier; he hoped.

Taking control of his breathing, Lord Varanash moved to warm himself by the fire. He extended one hand in particular towards the flame and everyone can see a large tarantula crawl out from his sleeve to sit on his hand to warm itself. (If anyone is able to detect/recognise them, the spider appears Infernal). He whispered some quiet words and his cloak began to shift colours into a deep purple colour, displaying some kind of heraldic symbol emblazoned on it.

"I am Lord Zinro Varanash, of House Varanash, Menzoberranzan." He said, with a bored confidence that suggested he had said this line thousands of times before. "I also seek the destruction of Strahd, and propose that we work together to achieve such a task. I am a Wizard of some renown, and can lend my magical abilities and study to our shared cause."

He considered what story to tell for a moment before speaking once again.

"Once upon a time there lived a Drow named Malachi. He had a notorious reputation as the village prankster and was often found stumbling around the tavern, drunk on mushroom wine.

Malachi was the sort of Drow who had a knack for finding mischief in the most mundane situations. Whether it was casting illusions on unsuspecting villagers or stealing cakes from the village bakery, his mischievous antics were a constant source of amusement for the locals. In spite of his inebriated state, people couldn't help but be entertained by his charismatic and boisterous personality.

One day, the Festival of Founding was in full swing. The village square was adorned with vibrant decorations, and families from far and wide flocked to enjoy the festivities. Colourful stalls offered everything from crispy roasted lizard and mouth-watering desserts, to exciting games and thrilling rides.

As always, Malachi's presence was hard to miss. He stumbled through the crowd, his footsteps unsteady and his laughter contagious. With each dizzying swig of mushroom wine, his cheeks grew redder, and his voice louder. His friends tried their best to keep up with his antics, but one by one, they fell behind; leaving Malachi to wreak havoc on his own.

In the heart of the festival, Malachi spotted a shiny apple bobbing eagerly in a wooden barrel filled with water. Driven by his impulsive nature, he saw an opportunity for amusement. In his drunken state, the Drow approached the barrel with a mischievous grin and dived headfirst into the water, scattering droplets everywhere.

The crowd gasped as Malachi rose from the barrel, sputtering and blinking away water droplets. But rather than getting up and walking away, he began swirling the water with excitement, creating small whirlpools that sent apple slices spinning in every direction.

The scene turned from shock to laughter as onlookers watched apples spiralling into the air, splattering water upon the cheering spectators. Children ran around, trying to capture the elusive fruits, while others abandoned their inhibitions, joining Malachi in his watery dance.

The festival became a joyful, water-soaked chaos thanks to the drunken Drow's unorthodox idea. Even the village officials, who usually frowned upon such behaviour, couldn't help but chuckle at the enchanting sight. In that moment, Malachi's antics brought a much-needed spark to the village, reminding everyone not to take life too seriously.

As the day drew to a close, Malachi stumbled back to the tavern, his clothes still dripping with water, and his smile wider than ever. Though he may have been a drunken Drow, Malachi had unknowingly become an unexpected hero of the festival, bringing laughter and joy to the hearts of those who needed it most.

From that day forward, whenever the people of the village spoke of the Festival of Founding, they would always remember the year the drunken Drow had turned a simple barrel of apples into a magical whirlwind of laughter and merriment. And though Malachi himself may not always remember the tale, his legend lived on, reminding everyone that sometimes, it's the unexpected moments of chaos that can bring the most joy."

It had been a story his father had told him, when Zinro was a child. Why this particular story had come to him now was a mystery; but he hoped the jovial nature of the story would endear him to those around him.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert speaks quietly to Yikkol. "Pelor is the god of the sun, which brings light, which reveals truth and causes all things to grow and heal. The undead and the forces of shadow and darkness call him the Burning Hate, for his spells strike fear into them. Do you not know him, perhaps by another name if you are from another world?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Aelki Ruasha
    Astral Elf Armorer Artificer
    AC: 13 HP: 103/103
    PPer: 16 PInv: 19 PIns: 12

Rua is pathfinding through the mud and woods, away from the strange gray mists. He had tried to reenter the mists numerous times to discover the ship he had come in on, but he always wound up back in the same woods. Now a path is evident before him, and after some time, he comes upon a campfire with a group of strangers seated around; an old woman, a half-orc, a human, a halfling, and a dark elf and perhaps another elf, it is difficult to tell. He stands there and watches for a while, always looking behind him toward where he had emerged from the mists. Finally, he dismisses the Bionoid armor, and approaches the group.

He joins the circle on the far end, where he can keep sight of the woods he had come through, and looks upon the faces gathered round as the stories continue.

When it is his turn, he says, My name is Aelki Ruasha, Commander of the Void Knights, elite infantry of the Elven Imperial Fleet. I received a Message of distress from a passenger ship, so we diverted our heading to intercept the ship. To my great surprise, the Message was emerging from a Tyrant ship, or rather, from inside it, as Tyrants are large hollowed out asteroids, and the ship was apparently within the Tyrant. We entered their hull space and docked to find the beholders that were tormenting the people that had sent the message. My crew and I searched, but we could not find anyone. It was as if the place was deserted. But as we ventured further into the hull of the Tyrant, it was as if someone was tracking our movement and controlling the ship from another location. Doors would lock behind us, others would open, sending us in some undetermined direction, but deeper into the ship. At some point, we began to hear moaning, punctuated by screams. The lights began to fail. I mustered my crew to keep their wits about them, and that's when the attack came. Rua pauses, and his eyes are looking straight into the campfire, as if seeing something that isn't there, I have witnessed many horrors sailing the star oceans of wildspace, but nothing prepared me for this. It scampered on the hairy bloated body of a neogi, but where it's long eel neck and face should be, was instead the torso and head of a mind flayer. The mind flayer's tentacles were not there, instead it's lamprey mouth was surrounded by a ring of long eye-stalks looking in all directions. It's arms ended in the wolfen heads of Vodoni Enforcers, snapping in whatever direction the eyes were looking in. It's eyes... the two mind flayer eyes, showed me something I had never seen before in the eyes of an illithid; fear and pain. The will of my crew broke, and they ran to the locked doors, pounding their fists on them and demanding to be let out. I engaged the creature, but quickly had to hunker behind my shield as its eye rays unleashed magic at me. It closed in quickly and it's wolfen jaw-hands were reaching over and around my shield to get to me. To my surprise, the doors unlocked and opened, and my crew scattered throughout the ship. I yelled for them to stay put, move into formation, but the fear had overtaken them. I blasted the creature away from me with my Repulsor Shield, and exited the room, looking for my crew.

There is a long pause.

I found them, throughout the ship. Some were on a dissecting table. No one else in the room, but they were opened up. I couldn't help them, even though they pleaded. Another I found chained to a wall of the ship, but the wall had teeth, and was consuming him. I broke the chains that held him, but he was in the grip of the wall's bite. I couldn't pull him out. Another still found me in one of the corridors. His head was replaced with a replica head, something like you might see on an autognome. His real head was on a stalk connected to his stomach. He spoke to me as if nothing had changed, telling me to follow him and he would lead us out. But the metal head gazed at me with different intentions. I killed everything that moved and approached me. I don't know how long I was on that ship, running from room to room, down one corridor to the next, escaping diabolical traps and killing abominable horrors. I turned a corner and was plunged into some thick gray mist. I stumbled through there for some time, hoping whatever had been hunting me could not navigate the fog better than I could. I eventually wound up in those woods there, and found you all here.

I do not recognize this sky. What planet is this, and what sphere are we in? And who is Strahd?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Herbert speaks quietly to Yikkol. "Pelor is the god of the sun, which brings light, which reveals truth and causes all things to grow and heal. The undead and the forces of shadow and darkness call him the Burning Hate, for his spells strike fear into them. Do you not know him, perhaps by another name if you are from another world?"
    "He sounds a bit like one of the Fates," says Yikkol, "or perhaps all of them. Our priests are given the power to destroy those who would cheat death.

"Regardless, your holyness, I'm glad you and Pelor are with us. With you here, Strahd is as good as dead."

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    He settles down to listen and make sure everyone has drinks and snacks.
    Yikkol takes a beer offered to her.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    "I am Lord Zinro Varanash, of House Varanash, Menzoberranzan." He said, with a bored confidence that suggested he had said this line thousands of times before. "I also seek the destruction of Strahd, and propose that we work together to achieve such a task. I am a Wizard of some renown, and can lend my magical abilities and study to our shared cause."
    "Death to Strahd!" Yikkol shouts, briefly disrupting the storytelling. An eager ally at last!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    I do not recognize this sky. What planet is this, and what sphere are we in? And who is Strahd?
    "Strahd is a rotten corpse of a man who lives in the castle up there." She points towards the cliff and takes another swig of her beer. "He is a vampire, a bloodsucker who sustains himself on the life of others. He killed my mother, and soon I will have his head."

10. - Top - End - #10

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    "Strahd is a rotten corpse of a man who lives in the castle up there." She points towards the cliff and takes another swig of her beer. "He is a vampire, a bloodsucker who sustains himself on the life of others. He killed my mother, and soon I will have his head."
    "Our world is named Toril. Or, I suppose I should say, my world is named Toril. I have a feeling this place is a place between worlds - a pocket dimension - that we have all been sucked into for one reason or another. I have heard legends that the sun never truly shines here. I wonder what other mysteries this land holds."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

rue
    Dhampir Barbarian 8/Fighter 2
    AC: 17 HP: 128
    PP:16 PIv: 11 PIs: 16
    Rage: 4/4

A tall, painfully thin, cloaked figure lurks at the periphery of the fire. Glimpsed beneath her large hood, her skin is porcelain white and her eyes are black and deep and contain sadness and darkness within them.

She does not seem confused. Or lost. Or even surprised. And indeed she was not. It has been uncounted (perhaps uncountable) years since her feet have trod this ground, but she still remembered every inch. She was born here. She was home.

"I will tell you a story, Crone," she hissed as she circled the clearing, her steps swift and powerful. "A story about a young girl, born to a life she neither asked for nor deserved. A young girl, driven from her village by her own mother, and cast out into the darkness beneath the trees. A young girl taken in by Vistani. Fed. Clothed. Housed. But treated coldly. Resentfully. A girl hated and ignored."

She sweeps in closer, seeminly trying to keep her distance from the fire while trying to approach the old woman.

"And a young girl abandoned. Left. Thrown away like trash. Left beneath the trees in an alien with no care if she lived or died. Left to wander alone. Left to walk for years and years. Alone."

She looms over the old woman.

"Do you know this story, Crone? Have you heard this story? Is this a story from the worlds beyond? Or a story of your own clan? Either way the story ends with the death of the Devil Strahd. And, if there is any justice in the world, the death of you and all your kith and kin."
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

12. - Top - End - #12

ElfWarriorGuy

The flames danced and transformed, taking on shapes that showed scenes of the stories being told. The woman sat, captivated by the tales, her eyes wide as she absorbed every word. Her haunched figure hardly moved, even when Strahd and her people were brought up. Her old, twisted fingers were clasped in front of her body. Once the visitors finished their stories, she rose from the tree stump she had been sitting on and opened her arms in a wide, theatrical gesture.

"Once upon this cursed land, hundreds of years ago, before Lord Strahd became the Devil of the Valley, a Vistani caravan ran into a wounded warrior agonizing by the lake. The man was an honorable knight, his armor shiny and his sword adorned with gems - In fact, he was the very prince o' this realm. The Vistani rescued him and took him back to his castle to be healed, and the prince never forgot their hospitality."

"This is why my people is allowed to travel through the Mist, but also why I shan't be yer ally in this crusade." The old woman briefly turned to Rue, but changed her mind and said nothing. "I shall see yer future, like I saw others' before you. I can heal ye wounds when ye come to my tent, like my people healed Strahd when they found him by the lake. I have potions of magical healing that I will sell ye for a fair price - unlike Bildrath, that miserable shopkeep - and other treasures in the bottom of my trunk. But once ye set out to Castle Ravenloft, ye'll be on yer own."

The woman invited the six outsiders to her tent. Inside, the smell of herbs was overwhelming, and the cramped space was filled in green and blue smoke that emanated from the many burning incense sticks. She sat across the table and produced a tarokka deck from inside her sleeve. The woman's dress had once been luxurious and expensive, but was now ragged, weary. "Ya may call me Madam Eva. For those who haven't, don't bother telling me ye names; I saw them in the Mist many moons ago." She shuffled the deck, her gnarled fingers working nimbly around the cards. "I see the number three in ye journey. Three paths ye must walk, three treasures must find. Without them, fighting the Devil will be useless like grasping at sand."

"First-" She turned the first card: It showed a puppeteer controlling a doll. "The Marionette. Ye must look at the top of the highest tower to find what ye need." She set her big eyes on Lord Zinro. "Ya willin' to face yer ghosts for the sake of this crusade, Dark Elf?"
    Spoiler
    Show

"Second-" The next card showed a girl, young and fair like a maiden. "The Innocent. A brothof light to a brother of shadows. Down below, where he rests in his tomb, is where you shall find the second treasure."
    Spoiler
    Show

"Third-" A voluptuous woman, hiding her face with a fan. "The Tempter! I see a secret place—a vault of temptation, hidden behind a woman of great beauty."
    Spoiler
    Show

The fourth card was placed above the other three, forming a triangle. It showed the image of a horrible fiend, long claws and more teeth than one could count. "I see The Beast in his own lair. When ye wish to face the Devil, look for his dark throne."
    Spoiler
    Show

A long moment of silence followed. Madam Eva looked deep into their eyes, patiently, until she burst out in a cracked voice: "What y'all waiting for? Leave, then! Follow yer hearts into the darkness, and maybe, just maybe, ya might emerge victorious."

Outside, a black carriage had appeared out of nowhere. Tracks on the muddy grass indicated it had been pulled by horses all the way down from Castle Ravenloft - except there were no horses to pull it. Once the outsiders approached, its doors opened by themselves in an invitation.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Madam Eva has a stash of (1d6)[4] Potions of Healing and (1d3)[3] Potions of Greater Healing, sold by 50 and 150 gp respectively.

Bildrath has a stash of (1d8)[1] but will sell them for 10 times the price. (500 gp)

These numbers will refresh every week or so.

I don't think we need entire shopping scenes for you guys to buy potions - write down that you bought them and that's it.

When you post, include a Wisdom (Perception) and Intelligence (Arcana) checks that will be related to the main entrance of Castle Ravenloft. Everyone roll Perception, but only those who have proficiency in n Arcana should roll it. My next post should bring you guys to the front door of the dungeon.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-11-17 at 03:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Yikkol takes a beer offered to her.
    As Yikkol leans in to take the beer she gets an odd feeling of being more well-rested safe, comfortable and at peace. Almost like feeling at home.

Bori leans in and whispers I am sorry for your loss. I seek to recover the remains of my own family if I can leave here, I will do everything I can to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    Leave, then! Follow yer hearts into the darkness, and maybe, just maybe, ya might emerge victorious."
    He eyes the woman carefully, trying to decide if he believes her. If we defeat this vampire, what then? Will we be able to return home?

Bori eyes the carriage somewhat suspiciously. Do I have to get in that thing? Riding anything else disrespects Nethis and I won't so it unless I have to.

Show
    Insight on the woman, because this all seems like madness to him and he doesn't quite believe it yet.
    (1d20+6)[23]

Perception with Advantage
    (1d20+6)[21] or (1d20+6)[12]

14. - Top - End - #14

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

She set her big eyes on Lord Zinro. "Ya willin' to face yer ghosts for the sake of this crusade, Dark Elf?"
    Zinro made a poor attempt of trying to hide his discomfort. How did this strange old woman know so much about him? He shivered at the thought of the tall towers and battlements of the Castle he had briefly seen illuminated in the lightning. He had known, of course, that taking the castle was not going to be easy or pleasant; but he had had no idea that the castle was perched so precariously on the edge of a cliff until now. He briefly thought of abandoning his quest; but his mind went back to the mists that surrounded the village.

"So these mists are controlled by Strahd? He is responsible for our imprisonment here? And why are you helping us so freely? Why should we trust you?"

Zinro doubted he would get anything more than cryptic or evasive answers, but he had to ask all the same.

As the black carriage approaches, Zinro's mood actually improves slightly - clearly the carriage was magical, and almost certainly sent by Strahd to retrieve them. Such a gesture indicated a level of civility, rather than a raving-mad monster.

Do I have to get in that thing? Riding anything else disrespects Nethis and I won't so it unless I have to.
    "I'm sure you can ride your mount alongside the carriage." Zinro says as he steps into the carriage, allowing the tarantula that graced his palm to scurry back up his sleeve.

Show

I am proficient in Arcana
    Perception: (1d20+5)[18]
    Arcana: (1d20+8)[25]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

As Yikkol leans in to take the beer she gets an odd feeling of being more well-rested safe, comfortable and at peace. Almost like feeling at home.

Bori leans in and whispers I am sorry for your loss. I seek to recover the remains of my own family if I can leave here, I will do everything I can to help you.
    "Thank you." Yikkol smiles at the halfling man. She wasn't sure about most of her companions, but Bori seemed trustworthy. She liked him already. "I'm sorry for your loss as well. May the Fates guide you to where you need to go."

A long moment of silence followed. Madam Eva looked deep into their eyes, patiently, until she burst out in a cracked voice: "What y'all waiting for? Leave, then! Follow yer hearts into the darkness, and maybe, just maybe, ya might emerge victorious."

Outside, a black carriage had appeared out of nowhere. Tracks on the muddy grass indicated it had been pulled by horses all the way down from Castle Ravenloft - except there were no horses to pull it. Once the outsiders approached, its doors opened by themselves in an invitation.
    Yikkol Four-Eyes thanks Madam Eva for the advice. She enters the magical black carriage last, shuts the door, and turns to the rest of the party.

"I think we should find the Marionette's treasure first. We can spot the highest tower from the outside. We can climb up the side of the castle to get there. What do you say?"

Perception: (1d20+10)[12]. Natural two!
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-08-28 at 07:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Rue

Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    Lord Zinro Varanash
    "So these mists are controlled by Strahd? He is responsible for our imprisonment here? And why are you helping us so freely? Why should we trust you?"
    Rue turned to the tall, regal elf. "You shouldn't trust them. Even when they help, it is for their purposes. The Vistani say we all have two faces, one for lies and one for family, and even we cannot tell which is which. Every rose they offer has thorns. Every kindness has a price. Every hand a hidden dagger nearby."

It galled her to give this woman money. And to take anything from her. And to depend on her cursed prophecy for their way forward.

But, above all else, Rue was a practical creature. And she realized the necessity.

When the carriage pulled up her lips pulled back in a snarl (revealing her long thin canines). She would not willingly step inside that thing. The thick clotted air inside would suffocate her (even though she didn't need to breathe). She would come to the Devil Strahd stating at the stars and the sky, or she would not come to him.

She walked over and nimbly leapt on top and perched there like a wild animal scenting the air. Waiting. Ready.

Show

Perception 19
    Arcana 10

Last edited by truemane; 2023-08-29 at 07:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Bori knocks on the door of the carriage and reaches up from the back of his reptilian mount, a small package is clutched in his hand.

I almost jinxed the entire thing, setting off on a journey without sharing some grub! I'm afraid I only have four left, they're Korth clangers. They were a bit of an experiment but I made 'em fresh this morning. They'll put some meat on your bones.

Anyone opening the pack will find four pasties. Those brave enough to try them find a rich savoury tribex mince and gravy filling at one end and stewed plums in the other. All of the components are very tasty, even if the combination is a bit odd.

Spoiler: OOC snacks
    Show
    Chef feat. 4 snacks which can be consumed in a bonus action and provide 4 THP.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-08-28 at 10:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Aelki Ruasha

Rua is no stranger to strange planets and customs, having interacted with many different peoples throughout the spheres during the Unhuman Wars. However, this encounter resonated with him. On their way to the distress beacon that ultimately brought him to the mists, and then to this place, Rua had seen a shooting star. Sometimes, in the void, if you happen upon a shooting star at just the right angle, it appears flying against the star ocean for a very long time, moving fast and slow together, a ball of blue-white light, with a long tail of white vapor that stretches on forever, until finally, it isn't there.

In all the times he had seen one as a wandering mercenary after his expulsion, Rua had never made a wish. But this time, he was moved to do so. And in the quiet of space, alone at the wheel, he wished of a chance for redemption. He did what he was told to do, and he stopped countless tragedies from befalling the elven people, but they said what he did was wrong. He was tired of wandering the spheres doing mercenary work. He wanted to fight again, to save lives and stop tyrants. He made the wish; give me an opportunity once again.

And now, here he is, in this tent, before this crone. He listened again to her and the others. It sounds like he cannot leave without engaging with this man, Strahd. And this man, Strahd, appears to be a devil. And the people here suffer underneath him. It sounds like an opportunity.

I will take one of each, Rua says. He looks once more in Madam Eva's eyes, but senses that she will not disclose much more. He follows the others outside. A black carriage rolls up, and the others begin to get in. Rua looks back towards the woods from which he emerged, glances at the tent, and then up at the castle on the cliff. He takes a moment to acknowledge the shooting star's answer to his wish, and climbs in with the others.

I can't say I've mounted an assault in which the enemy provides for my transportation before. This will be a first.

I suggest we ditch the carriage and make our own way to the castle, on our terms. A lot of information is generally needed before an operation like this.

In response to Yikkol he says, That would be rather conspicuous. I suspect someone like this man Strahd has measures against aerial infiltration, and that's a high way up to be caught by surprise. What resources do we have at our disposal to make that climb? It's at the upper limits of my abilities, but I could fly up if need be.

Show

Purchase a healing potion and greater healing potion.

Perception (1d20+6)[14]
    Arcana (proficient) (1d20+9)[28]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Bori knocks on the door of the carriage and reaches up from the back of his reptilian mount, a small package is clutched in his hand.

I almost jinxed the entire thing, setting off on a journey without sharing some grub! I'm afraid I only have four left, they're Korth clangers. They were a bit of an experiment but I made 'em fresh this morning. They'll put some meat on your bones.

Anyone opening the pack will find four pasties. Those brave enough to try them find a rich savoury tribex mince and gravy filling at one end and stewed plums in the other. All of the components are very tasty, even if the combination is a bit odd.
    "Why, thank you, Bori." Yikkol takes one and tosses one into her mouth.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

In response to Yikkol he says, That would be rather conspicuous. I suspect someone like this man Strahd has measures against aerial infiltration, and that's a high way up to be caught by surprise. What resources do we have at our disposal to make that climb? It's at the upper limits of my abilities, but I could fly up if need be.
    "Just be careful," Yikkol says, "and be quiet. In the dark, we'd be hard to spot."

There's a pause. Then: "Wait, you can fly?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Rue turned to the tall, regal elf. "You shouldn't trust them. Even when they help, it is for their purposes. The Vistani say we all have two faces, one for lies and one for family, and even we cannot tell which is which. Every rose they offer has thorns. Every kindness has a price. Every hand a hidden dagger nearby."
    Zinro regarded Rue for a moment. Subconsciously he was reminded of his own race, and of his sister's predations. In the end he simply nodded, acknowledging her wisdom on the matter.

Sitting inside the carriage, Zinro shivered again. The others were talking about climbing the castle. Quietly, he cast Prestidigitation and attempted to warm his cloak; partly for genuine warmth and partly to disguise his shivering as the effects of the cold night.

"If Strahd has sent us this carriage it would be unwise to refuse his invitation. Until we warrant a reason for our destruction in his lands, I'm sure he will treat us as his guests; for now." Zinro wasn't entirely convinced by this statement, but he was desperately trying to deflect his own anxieties. "As my cousin Elf also points out, I am sure Strahd has defences against an aerial attack and we would be incredibly vulnerable. Dividing our strength is also ill-advised. I suggest we allow this carriage to take us."

Zinro, although uncomfortable, considered the tower approach. "I could send Dot to scout the tower; although I fear the tower is too high for me to remain in constant contact with her." At the mention of her name, Zinro's spider crawls up onto his shoulder. "Dot is my spider familiar. She would have no trouble climbing the tower, although it would take her some time; and she would have to climb back down to report on what she's seen. Despite her beauty, she is only just a spider and so wouldn't be able to communicate complex situations."

Zinro took a deep breath before continuing. "In the spirit of being open about our abilities, I do possess a spell that will allow us to climb and hang from surfaces like my pet here. However, I can only perform this spell for one person and I must concentrate on holding the effect. Regardless of my concentration, the spell would end after 1 hour. I also possess a spell to create a giant hand of force, that could grab one of us and deposit us at the top of the tower. Again, such a spell requires my concentration, and the hand would only be able to grab one of us at a time. This spell would only last for about a minute. Alternatively, I have a spell that would allow myself and one other person to teleport directly to the top of the tower; but alas I would need time to rest to prepare such a spell. Finally, another spell I possess would turn one of your into a creature - a bat, a giant spider, or the like - that would allow you to either fly to the top of the tower or climb it with ease. Again, I would need to concentrate on such a spell. It would last for an hour, unless I stopped concentrating or your new form took damage that would normally kill it."

Show

Zinro has Spider Climb and Bigby's Hand prepared, as possible methods of climbing. He also has Dimension Door and Polymorph, but they are not currently prepared.

Aside from Dimension Door, all these spells would only affect a single target and require concentration. Bigby's Hand doesn't last long enough to make several trips up and down the tower, given it's height.

Due to his fear of heights, he never learned the spell Fly.

22. - Top - End - #22

Rue

Rue perched on the roof of the carriage and watched as everyone else piled into its warm, safe confines. She slouched and frowned. Once again she found herself alone, separated from community and connection by her own strange internal impulses.

Here she was, for the first time in as long as she she could remember, part of a unified group whose aims and goals matched her own, and whose strangeness matched her own, a group who perhaps would not reject her for her heritage or nature ort appetites.

And what did she do when the chance came to sit with them? Talk with them? Share with them? Bond with them?

She got scared of being inside and walked away.

Typical, she said to herself, Typical. Perhaps I don't deserve friendship. Perhaps it is my destiny to be alone. Locked in a cold inaccessible tower like the Devil we are hunting.

She sat down and pulled her cloak closer around herself.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 73/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Arcana (1d20+4)[14]
    Perception (1d20+8)[16]

Herbert looks suspiciously at the carriage, walking around it to check for traps, poison, or anything else. "This Strahd... he's arrogant and confident, is he? It's one thing to ignore potential foes, but to send them transportation to reach him faster suggests an ego possibly greater than many of those I dealt with back home."

Herbert politely declines the offered food. "I'm trying to eat less these days."

He climbs into the carriage. If the inside is not well-lit, he'll cast Light on his shield boss.

24. - Top - End - #24

Asha
    "Just be careful," Yikkol says, "and be quiet. In the dark, we'd be hard to spot."

There's a pause. Then: "Wait, you can fly?"

Asha gives a curt nod, Yes, warriors of my kind can augment their armor to allow for flight when the mission calls for it. The armor could allow for someone else to fly as well, instead of me.

We could be quiet and careful Yikkol, but in my experience plans rarely survive contact with the enemy fully intact. And that is a great height from which to have to improvise. My armor can protect me from the fall if something happens but...

He regards her and Zinro, and looks up at the light thump as Rue hops to the top of the cart, Some of you appear to have history with Strahd. What is he like? He seems to have more information about us than we do of him, given the circumstances, he gestures to the carriage they are riding in, and that is never a smart place from which to start an attack.

25. - Top - End - #25

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Some of you appear to have history with Strahd. What is he like? He seems to have more information about us than we do of him, given the circumstances, he gestures to the carriage they are riding in, and that is never a smart place from which to start an attack.
    "I have never met the man. All I have heard of are rumours and legend; and even those were hard to come by for a man of my means and connections. It would seem..." Zinro paused, annoyed. "That he possesses powers greater than I had anticipated. As you say, he seems to be able to trap us here, and knows our current whereabouts. Given his control over the mists surrounding this place, and his knowledge of our location, I'm sure he would be well aware of our attempt to scale his castle. I do believe he wishes to meet with us." Zinro tried to hide the trepidation in his voice, but instead decided to switch tactic and speak on a subject he was more confident with. "As a nobleman myself, I would be happy to lead our little party's side of the meeting. I have had the pleasure of both entertaining and being entertained by powerful lords. There are certain etiquettes to follow that would take too long to explain to everyone here."

26. - Top - End - #26

Asha

I do believe he wishes to meet with us, Zinro says.

Asha considers this, Then this may be like a game to him. He must feel confident that he has nothing to fear from an attack. It should be an interesting meeting.

Zinro continues, As a nobleman myself, I would be happy to lead our little party's side of the meeting. I have had the pleasure of both entertaining and being entertained by powerful lords. There are certain etiquettes to follow that would take too long to explain to everyone here.

For my part, I'd like to get a measure of his military power, and the defenses of his castle.I'll follow your lead, but let's keep these things in mind.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol considers her companions's words with a scowl.

"Fine, fine. We'll pretend to be guests of this egotistic bloodsucker and then we'll find the treasures when he goes to sleep."

Assuming that this isn't all a trap, she thinks, but this she keeps to herself.

"Should we try the basement first, then? It'd be closer to ground-level."
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-08-29 at 03:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Herbert politely declines the offered food. "I'm trying to eat less these days."
    Bori takes the remaining pasty back with a smile and a quiet word. I kinda let my sweet tooth get the better of me with those. I can make some much healthier snacks that are still packed with flavour tomorrow!

As the coach sets off he pulls out to the side finally noticing the form of Rue perched on top. He gives a little wave and calls up to her.

Fancy a snack? Home made this morning. Tasty if I say so myself. He pauses for an answer and tosses up the little bag if Rue is interested.

Unable to cope with both silence and company he tries ti strike up conversation.

We're not ones for beng driven about, Nethis likes the feel of the wind when she's here. It isn't quite clear what he means by "here" Grew up nomads on open plains. Only one town in the whole place. We'd not been inside a wall-house until I was twelve. Still prefer the outdoors. Can't complain about feather beds though.

What about you? Prefer travelling taking the world instead of being in a box as well?

29. - Top - End - #29

ElfWarriorGuy

Post Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Despite the lack of horses to pull the black carriage, the vehicle moved on its own without any problems. It shook on its hinges and dragged uphill carrying those who had climbed aboard; Still it was slow enough that anyone on foot would be able to keep up.

It was a long stride along the side of the valley, allowing the company to glimpse the province of Barovia from above. Overhead, the skies seemed to react to their attitude, to their raised chins and puffed chests. How dare, come into the domains of dread armed with courage... Dark storm clouds gathered in the sky above the castle, almost drawn to its spires. Thin rain touched their faces, growing thicker by the minute. The village and Madam Eva's tent would still be visible from thousands of feet above, if they hadn't been engulfed by the Mist.

Before them, a stone bridge closed the gap to the castle on the cliffside. An archway of meticulous stonework stretched over the entrance, flanked by watchtowers. Suspended above was a huge portcullis, formidable blend of iron and oak. The archway displayed the following words in the common tongue:

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

Beyond, the stone bridge lead into an inner courtyard, and further away, to the double doors of the main entrance. The castle keep was a mighty bulwark of grey stone, rising proud behind several layers of battlements. Higher above, two towers pierced the clouds, one thicker than the other, connected by a bridge halfway to the top. The Spires of Ravenloft disappeared amist the night sky, illuminated only briefly by a chain of purple lightning that struck the skies above.

[Arcana CD 15] Castle Ravenloft had no magical barriers or traps on its main entrance; In fact, the way in was almost an invitation. The entrance spilled warm light, which flooded the courtyard; Above the entrance, a round window with shards of broken glass lodged in its iron frame could be seen.

[Perception CD 15]But a different passageway drew their attention, almost hidden by overgrown ivy: going around the keep, one would find secondary service entries on either side of the courtyard. They seemed to lead to yet another enclosed courtyard, but in the dark of the night it was impossible to discern what lay ahead. Both passageways were blocked by heavy iron porticullises. Despite having endured several centuries of rusting, these metal gratings stood sturdy as ever.

Show
    Raising a porticullis requires a Strength check DC 15; Since we're not under time pressure right now, any character with Strength 15 or above can immediately success if they wish. If you were in a combat situation, for example, that would still require an action and a Strength check (not Save!)

30. - Top - End - #30

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro kept his eyes firmly inside the carriage as it wound it's way up the cliffside. More than once he would close his eyes, breathe deeply, and clench his fists into his knees. He was so preoccupied with saving face, he didn't even notice the archway and the it's warning as they passed through it.

When at last the carriage stopped, he took another deep breath and stepped out; Dot scurrying beneath his cloak to hide from the rain.

He took a moment to appreciate the awesome spectacle of the castle; but was perturbed by the lack of visible guards. He appreciated that Strahd was a vampire, but surely he would have guards, if only for decorum?

He turned to the group.

"I believe, in keeping with etiquette, we should approach and knock on the front door. I understand there are some here with a personal grudge against the lord of this castle, but we should remain polite and accept whatever hospitality we are given. As I mentioned before, if you wish, I can lead the conversation."

Zinro ushers the party into whatever cover the main double doors provide and casts Prestidigitation to clean everyone's clothes and boots before knocking on the doors.

Show

Would it not be an Athletics check to raise a portcullis? Not that it matters to Zinro, who won't be lifting anything