New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    In the mean time, if we want to lay a minor trap for anything these statues can get up to, I can pour a quart of oil on the floor. It might slow it down a bit if it starts moving.
    "Good idea. I've got this bag full of little balls that might trip them up."

Yikkol steps closer to Bori and lets his aura sweep away his remaining fear. What a presence! She pours the bag of ball bearing around the statue, standing closer to the halfling than strictly necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    The party had entered the castle from the west, and moved eastward until they found the Chapel; The Catacombs were located directly below the Chapel, deep underground. From there, a nondescript corridor cut into the bedrock of Ravenloft and led them to the Brazier Room. Following that logic, one could assume that the right door should lead deeper into the castle, while the left would do the opposite.
    I'm happy with either direction.
    "Let's go to the left," Yikkol suggests. "It seems to lead to the castle walls. We may find some more secrets there."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Rue
    Dhampir Barbarian 8/Fighter 2
    AC: 17 HP: 128
    PP:16 PIv: 11 PIs: 16
    Rage: 3/4 (Long Rest)
    Empowering Bite: 4/4 (Long Rest)
    Second Wind: 1/1 (Short Rest)
    Action Surge: 1/1 (Short Rest)
    Rue frowns and considers. She was not a very imaginative creature, but to the extend that she had pictured this mad errand, she had pictured more of a single headlong rush directly at Strahd without pause or rest until one of them was destroyed.

All this exploration felt... academic to her. Like fiddling while the city burned.

"I believe the only purpose of exploring is to find the treasures of which the Vistani spoke? Do we think our sword is the sword. And if so, should we not begin climbing as soon as we are able?

Pause.

"Or do we suppose the treasure hidden behind the beautiful woman is down here somewhere as well?"

A longer pause. Another frown.

"Whichever, I will bow to the will of the party. If Yikkol wishes left, then let it be left."

Spoiler
    Show

Nil
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    "I believe the only purpose of exploring is to find the treasures of which the Vistani spoke? Do we think our sword is the sword. And if so, should we not begin climbing as soon as we are able?
    "I'm not sure about you, but I'd like this castle cleared of threats before we face down it's master. We wouldn't want, for example, Strahd to call his children to his side whilst we fight him; if at all possible. Besides, we have already found treasures that are extremely useful to us that were not strictly mentioned by the Seer. I'm sure there will be many such treasures that will aid us further."

He took a moment to Prestidigitate his clothes clean again.

"I also agree with heading left."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Asha
    Astral Elf Armorer Artificer
    AC: 23 HP: 101/103 THP: 10/10
    PPer: 16 PInv: 19 PIns: 12
    Conditions: Immune to Surprise, Adv on Init, Necklace of Adaptation
    Concentrating: --

Asha gives his opinion, but otherwise follows the others, I think it's better to have discreet and tangible missions. We know one treasure is in the tower, and we know how to get there. The other is a little more obscure, but presumably, had we the stone, we could get there too.

Clearing out the castle is a more open objective. We have to take care that we know what the end of that objective looks like, so we don't find ourselves wandering these passages for far longer than we care to.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Rue frowns and considers. She was not a very imaginative creature, but to the extend that she had pictured this mad errand, she had pictured more of a single headlong rush directly at Strahd without pause or rest until one of them was destroyed.

All this exploration felt... academic to her. Like fiddling while the city burned.

Pause.

"Or do we suppose the treasure hidden behind the beautiful woman is down here somewhere as well?"

A longer pause. Another frown.

"Whichever, I will bow to the will of the party. If Yikkol wishes left, then let it be left."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    "I'm not sure about you, but I'd like this castle cleared of threats before we face down it's master. We wouldn't want, for example, Strahd to call his children to his side whilst we fight him; if at all possible. Besides, we have already found treasures that are extremely useful to us that were not strictly mentioned by the Seer. I'm sure there will be many such treasures that will aid us further."

He took a moment to Prestidigitate his clothes clean again.

"I also agree with heading left."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Asha gives his opinion, but otherwise follows the others, I think it's better to have discreet and tangible missions. We know one treasure is in the tower, and we know how to get there. The other is a little more obscure, but presumably, had we the stone, we could get there too.

Clearing out the castle is a more open objective. We have to take care that we know what the end of that objective looks like, so we don't find ourselves wandering these passages for far longer than we care to.
    Yikkol gapes at the dissenting party members.

"Are you... disagreeing with his holiness?" She speaks slowly, emphasizing the third word. "Father Herbert said to explore the place. Surely you don't mean to resist his will. In my country, opposing a priest gets you hanged, drawn, and quartered."

She stares nervously at Herbert. "Very sorry, your holiness. I'm sure it's just their stress. You know best. Where do we go?"

6. - Top - End - #276

Asha
    Asha pauses, and then looks toward Yikkol and Herbert. Until now, he thought them companions, given her deference to him. What country would that be, Yikkol?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert
    Herbert looks at Yikkol with a strange expression on his face. "That's.... not how it works in most civilized countries. The gods don't reveal everything to us, and of course there are multiple gods. You'll find priests disagreeing with priests of other gods quite regularly about how to solve problems."

8. - Top - End - #278

ElfWarriorGuy

This staircase of ancient stone was worn smooth. Thick dust covered its steps, and cobwebs choked the passage. A sickly mist filled the stairway ahead, then coalesced into the form of the vampire Strahd himself, his eyes burning red with anger.

"You have worn out your welcome," he said. "Whatever gods you believe in cannot save you now!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Herbert:
    Initiative: (1d20-1)[2]

Yikkol
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[23]

Zinro:
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[22]

Bori:
    Initiative: (1d20+5)[24] or (1d20+5)[7] (Sentinel Shield)

Rue:
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[20] or (1d20+3)[15] (Feral Instinct)

Asha:
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[11] or (1d20+2)[12] (Helm of Awareness

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 73/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Bless (Rue, Asha, Yikkol, Bori)
    Aura: 30' Prot from Evil (Fiends/undead): Such creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against us, and we are immune to charm, fear, possession by them

Disregarding Strahd's weak attempt at shaking his faith, Herbert calls upon the power of Pelor to guide his allies' strikes. "Did King Barov von Zarovich and Queen Ravenovia van Roeyen raise you to so flippantly dismiss the gods? Surely not, although judging by the poverty of the Barovians, if you were taught how to rule the land and care for its people you abandoned that teaching as well."

Spoiler
    Show

Bless on Rue, Asha, Yikkol, Bori, 2nd level spell slot

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Asha pauses, and then looks toward Yikkol and Herbert. Until now, he thought them companions, given her deference to him. What country would that be, Yikkol?
    Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Herbert looks at Yikkol with a strange expression on his face. "That's.... not how it works in most civilized countries. The gods don't reveal everything to us, and of course there are multiple gods. You'll find priests disagreeing with priests of other gods quite regularly about how to solve problems."
    Yikkol begins to speak as they head through the left door. But her words quickly die on her lips. Strahd was here.

This staircase of ancient stone was worn smooth. Thick dust covered its steps, and cobwebs choked the passage. A sickly mist filled the stairway ahead, then coalesced into the form of the vampire Strahd himself, his eyes burning red with anger.

"You have worn out your welcome," he said. "Whatever gods you believe in cannot save you now!"
    Yikkol aims her crossbow at his heart and fires.

• Attack with Steady Aim & Bless: (1d20+9)[29] or (1d20+9)[24] plus (1d4)[1].
    • Damage: (1d10+5)[10] plus (5d6)[18] magical piercing.

“Strahd, you slime mold! Tell me where my mother’s bones are now!”

11. - Top - End - #281

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    In my country, opposing a priest gets you hanged, drawn, and quartered."
    Zinro couldn't help but think of his sister when Yikkol said this. As House Priestess of Lolth, she'd enjoyed the power to be able to condemn anyone suspected of blasphemy against their god to any number of horrible fates beyond a simple hanging. A particular favourite was having spiderling eggs implanted inside a victim, and allowing them to eat their way out when they began to mature. He had been forced, on more than one occasion, to agree with his sister even when it was against his ideals or interests. He shuddered thinking about it.

As Strahd appeared and challenged them, Zinro moved to put as much distance as possible between himself and the vampire count; whilst keeping within the area of safety generated by the Icon of Ravenloft, should it become active.

He then lobbed a bolt of fire towards the count.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action as described.
    Main Action to cast Fire Bolt Cantrip, Ranged Spell Attack: (1d20+8)[14] for (2d10+4)[13] Fire Damage

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol gets a very lucky shot. She rerolls her damage dice and adds them to her damage:

Initial damage plus (1d10)[2] plus (5d6)[18] is… a total of 48 magical piercing damage. 😱
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-10-05 at 11:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283

Asha
    Asha thinks to himself he had the wrong read on the count. He would not have expected to be attacked like this. The thought happens in less than an instant, and the soldier bolts forward to get between Strahd and the others and throws two punches at the vampire.

Spoiler: Turn 1
    Show
    Move - Move adjacent to Strahd
    Action - Attack Strahd
    Thunder Gauntlets - (1d20+11)[12] + (1d4)[4]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[12]
    Thunder Gauntlets - (1d20+11)[17] + (1d4)[2]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[11]
    Hit Effect - Strahd has Disadvantage to hit anyone other than Asha.
    Move - Position to make sure Rue can attack Strahd.

14. - Top - End - #284

Bori

Nethis leaps, snarling, to land behind the monster.

Your brother defies you still! Yells Bori, slashing with the broken blade.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Attack 1
    (1d20+11)[12] plus (1d4)[3] for (1d8+7)[14]
    Halfling luck, attack re-rolled to 30

Attack 2
    (1d20+11)[21] plus (1d4)[1] for (1d8+7)[13]

Adding a level 1 Smite to an attack that hits, prioritising a crit for (3d8)[9] radiant damage
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-10-05 at 03:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285

ElfWarriorGuy

For a moment, it seemed like their Crusade would see a premature end. Strahd was cornered in a tight spot, swarmed by the adventurers who now grew into real shield brothers rather than simply circumstantial allies. Fire bolts, crossbow bolts, sword strikes, lightning punches and fangs and claws found their way into the vampire's flesh, blessed by the light of Pelor. The count collapsed under such might, but his body simply burst in a cloud of bats and disappeared in thin air.

The illusion was over. Strahd had never actually been here, but his laughter echoed louder and louder as dozens of bats fluttered away through the corridor.

With time, Strahd's laughter died in the distance and the staircase fell silent again.

(Combat over!)

16. - Top - End - #286

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro cursed silently to himself. An illusion! How had he of all people fallen for such a cheap trick? He'd had to deal with all kinds of illusion pranks back in Menzoberranzan, and considered himself somewhat decent at seeing through them. Perhaps Strahd's unnatural power helped to make the illusion to seem more real than it was supposed to be? If so, that made the count an even more formidable foe.

"It would appear that the dear count has a grasp of magic. This does not bode well for us. However, I can attempt to Dispel and Counter any magical tools he tries to use against us. I'll admit this illusion had me fooled too."

Zinro moved back into step with the party.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol screams in rage and impotence. He was there, and then he wasn't. Her lucky shot meant nothing.

Fates take that bloodsucker! Fates take this castle! She takes a deep breath and calms herself.

"Come on," she says. "Let's go. I'm sure we'll have to deal with more of his tricks."

She mutters under her breath as she continues up the stairs.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-10-05 at 11:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

Bori

Bori pulls down his mask angrily. Dragon Below, a dirty trick! I feel so stupid, I didn't even think to ask the spirits if he was real. We'll have to be more cautious next time!

Nethis strikes at the floor with a claw before simping further up the stairs.

19. - Top - End - #289

ElfWarriorGuy

The staircase climbed further and further into the darkness, until it made a sharp turn to the right and ended in a small landing facing a flat, wooden wall. Upon closer inspection, the wooden wall revealed to be actually the back of a huge wardrobe or bookshelf, too massive to be pushed out of the way.

On the wall besides the "wooden wall", a heavy lever could be pulled up and down. It was currently in the "up" position.

20. - Top - End - #290

Bori

If their surroundings were less horrifying, Bori might have felt a thrill at opening a secret passage like a copper dreadful hero. As it was, he merely hoped that whatever greeted them was less horrifying that that sunken room below.

He looks nervously at his fellows and mouths Three...Two...One... before firmly pulling on thr lever.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

If their surroundings were less horrifying, Bori might have felt a thrill at opening a secret passage like a copper dreadful hero. As it was, he merely hoped that whatever greeted them was less horrifying that that sunken room below.

He looks nervously at his fellows and mouths Three...Two...One... before firmly pulling on thr lever.
    Yikkol gives Bori a thumbs up as he does so.

22. - Top - End - #292

ElfWarriorGuy

The wardrobe was pushed to the side by a loud, clanking mechanism, revealing a small candlelit office.

This shadowy room is in perfect order. A great table stands here with its chair, inkwell, and quill set carefully in place. Lances, swords, and shields that bear the Barovian crest are hung neatly on the dark, oak-paneled walls.

A gaunt man was standing in the center of the room, his attention focused on the great table in front of him. Besides the neatly arranged papers and documents, a full alchemy set had been assembled for experiments, complete with test tubes of different sizes, beaker frames, mortar and pestle and a tiny magic flame that hovered in the air beneath a round-bottom flask, boiling some bright green substance and filling the room with a thin layer of purple smoke. The office had no windows, but the smoke seemed to magically vanish before it would fog the room.

The man removed his protective goggles, revealing his long black hair and pointed ears. His face was long, with pointy cheek bones and and a narrow complexion. His hair was deep black, and greased into a loose ponytail.

"That is incredibly rude." Said the elf, placing the goggles back on the table. "What gives you the right to break into my office and mess with my personal belongings?"

The elf shook his head disapprovingly. "Now please have some manners and cut the lights." His pale grey eyes could barely remain open under the bright light from Herbert's shield. "I certainly expected more finesse from you all, after that little stunt in the Dining Hall."

[Intelligence (Nature) DC 16 to identify what the elf is brewing]
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-10-07 at 01:29 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

An alchemist? A living alchemist? Here, in a secret room in Strahd's domain?

Yikkol stares at the man, then at the party, then at the boiling green substance, then at the man again.

• DC 16 Nature check: (1d20+1)[5].

"Friend or foe? Do you work for Strahd? And how could you possibly know what went on in the dining room from here?"

24. - Top - End - #294

ElfWarriorGuy

The elf sighed. With a brief gesture, he dismissed the tiny flame and the green substance stopped boiling. "You are supposed to introduce yourself before asking someone questions." He clenched his jaw. "Specially after barging into his chambers like armed ruffians."

After a moment of silence, the elf relaxed. "Although I understand you would be in a hurry to return to those you abandoned, Yikkol 'Four-Eyes'."
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-10-07 at 04:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295

Bori

Bori looks dumbfounded for a second before recovering a d trying to put on a jovial air.

We're so sorry, we didn't mean to interrupt. We're just a little on.edge, I hope that's understandable? I'm Bori, but it seems you already know that. What's your name? Can we help you with anything?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+8)[23] plus (1d4)[4]

26. - Top - End - #296

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Finding exceptional rooms hidden behind secret doors seemed to be becoming a theme in this castle; Zinro would enjoy exploring it more fully once Strahd was out of the way.

He eyed the Elf suspiciously, searching for signs of imprisonment here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check to spot any chains or any other form of restraint that denotes this guy is a prisoner here: (1d20+5)[17]
    Or Investigation if that's more appropriate: (1d20+8)[24]

He then turned his attention to the alchemical brew.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature check: (1d20+4)[19]

"Lord Zinro Varanash, of House Varanash, Menzoberranzan." Zinro replied in his usual said-a-million-times fashion. "How do you know the others? Are you spying on us? To what end?"

27. - Top - End - #297

Asha
    Asha nearly crashes into the stairs as his punch flies right through an illusion, but the trained soldier recovers neatly and jogs a few steps upward. He quickly turns to see the end of the image discorporating, but the laughter remains a little longer still.

His hands curl into fists and he feels shame for having fallen for the ruse. However, he realizes his read on the count may still be accurate. The count is still wanting to play the game, and not ending things short.

He follows the others up the stairs. He thinks it unwise to pull the lever, but says nothing as Bori does the deed. A secret door is revealed, and an elf with a severe countenance is inside, performing alchemy at a grand table. Asha stands aside, watching and listening as events unfold.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

The elf sighed. With a brief gesture, he dismissed the tiny flame and the green substance stopped boiling. "You are supposed to introduce yourself before asking someone questions." He clenched his jaw. "Specially after barging into his chambers like armed ruffians."

After a moment of silence, the elf relaxed. "Although I understand you would be in a hurry to return to those you abandoned, Yikkol 'Four-Eyes'."
    Yikkol's eyes flash with anger. Her fist tightens around her crossbow. Only the presence of Bori and his calming aura stop her from slaughtering the elf.

"You don't know me," she says. There is a murderous chill in her voice. "You've no right to judge the sacrifices I've made to find her bones."

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 73/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18
    Conditions: --
    Aura: 30' Prot from Evil (Fiends/undead): Such creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against us, and we are immune to charm, fear, possession by them
    "Herbert Raycraft, servant of Pelor. Who are you, that you choose a place such as this to conduct your...research...alchemy?"

Spoiler: checks
    Show

Herbert pointedly does not alter the bright light from his shield.
    nature to ID (1d20)[2]
    Is he elf or undead? Religion (1d20+4)[19]
    Insight +8 (I assume DM would prefer to roll privately) to determine how truthful he's being.
    Last edited by J-H; 2023-10-08 at 07:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300

ElfWarriorGuy

Post Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

The elf bowed so low that his ponytail grazed against the stone floor. "I am Rahadin from the Dusk Forest, First General under Lord Strahd. Some have refered to my people as Dusk Elves, but I prefer the term Naëradrín."

As Herbert could now see more clearly, the elf breathed and moved with the natural mojo that only a living creature could have. The office itself was rather cozy and did not feel like a prison at all. In fact, Rahadin had access to the Brazier Room just outside his office, and seemed to use that secret passage often to get around the castle.

"Spying, Lord Zinro Varanash of Menzoberranzan? You come into my home and call me a spy? Was I supposed to sit and wait while scoundrels and ruffians put their little fingers in my lord's treasures?"

"I will give you one more chance to be civilized." He insisted to Herbert, who carried the glowing shield. "Cut the lights now."

Spoiler: Nature DC 16
    Show
    Rahadin is preparing a special toxin that can be applied to small projectiles like darts or throwing daggers. When injected into the blood current, usually through and open wound (though ingestion should also work), it causes extreme pain on Medium and Small creatures, and paralysis on Tiny or smaller.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-10-09 at 08:29 AM.