1. - Top - End - #61
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Rue
    Dhampir Barbarian 8/Fighter 2
    AC: 17 HP: 128
    PP:16 PIv: 11 PIs: 16
    Rage: 4/4

There was a moment, and not a small moment, when Rue seriously considered Strahd's offer. She thought she had spent her life enduring his attempts to kill her and drive her away. But in that moment, when he so casually offered her a place by his side, it occurred to her that maybe he was driving her toward him? Punishing her for leaving and trying to convince her to return?

Her heart is mostly filled with loneliness, just tainted and soured and perverted and churned into hate.

But could she have a home? A real home? Here? With him?

But first Bori, and then Yikkol's words, gave her just enough pause for thought to realize that, whever she was, the thing over there was no father. No friend. No mentor. No lord. Unliving she may be, but that bloated cancer was undead. And there was nothing in its heart but darkness.

"As if I would ever join you!" she screamed at Strahd, her prior placid demeanuor crumbling, "Would ever sit with you! Drink with you! Serve you and sit at your feet! I won't have a moment's rest until you are destroyed. Or I am."

She prowled around the room, putting herself between the Devil and her new companions.
    Last edited by truemane; 2023-09-01 at 11:48 PM.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

"You certainly don't expect your host to clean after this... monstrocity?"

Bori laughs softly and pats Nethis's neck. Monstrosity? See, I told you I was the pretty one. Nethis yawns at Strahd, showing teeth.

"Sit down and eat - You must grow fat and juicy for my children to feed well." He insisted, and added as an afterthought: "The lizard shall be put down."

Bori's eyebrows raise questioningly. Hmm, whoever does your guest list isn't as well informed as you thought, I'm afraid....*TWANG* Bori sighs, allowing his hands to relax down to his sides, and waits for the response.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-09-02 at 08:02 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    "Indeed, I have yet to see another soul besides yourself in this castle." He thought for a moment. "Ah, but you mentioned your children. Do you have many?"
    "You will have plenty a chance to meet my children, Lord Zinro. Yes, they are many - nowadays, they're the only ones keeping me company in this castle. It gets lonely in Barovia... Don't you see I'm but a poor man?" His smile widened into a shark's grin, almost too wide to be on a human face.

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    Hmm, whoever does your guest list isn't as well informed as you thought, I'm afraid....*TWANG* Bori sighs, allowing his hands to relax down to his sides, and waits for the response.
    "Oh, but I know exactly who you are, half-man. I know the fear in your hearts, all of you... Your souls are open books to my mind. I delight myself in your guilt... Your remorse... Your nightmares... The memories that keep you up at night... It's all in the blood." He licked his lips like a hungry dog salivating for meat.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Still sitting, she draws her heavy crossbow, steadies herself, and aims for the vampire's neck.
    The bolt flew straight to the vampire's neck, splattering some of his blood on the pipes of the organ behind him. Strahd stood in place for a moment, completely still, before he reached for the projectile and yanked it off his flesh. It had left a deep puncture in his cold body, but the wound was already regenerating, and at incredible speed.

"I guess you didn't have proper manners, after all."

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    "As if I would ever join you!" she screamed at Strahd, her prior placid demeanuor crumbling, "Would ever sit with you! Drink with you! Serve you and sit at your feet! I won't have a moment's rest until you are destroyed. Or I am."

She prowled around the room, putting herself between the Devil and her new companions.
    "I see." The vampire said with said patience. "You shall understand, in time. For now... shield them from me, if you must. But you shan't shield their souls from my eyes... You are alone in Barovia. In the silence of the night, you will hear the whispers of the damned, and the howling winds will be your only companions. Your courage will wane, and your hope will wither like a dying rose. You may fight, you may struggle, but in the end, you will come to realize the futility of your endeavors."

"So, my dear guests, know this: you are alone in my realm, and I am the darkness that surrounds you. Embrace your fear, for it will be your constant companion, and remember that there is no escape from the grasp of Strahd von Zarovich."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol watched Strahd's wound close up in morbid fascination (and, she would admit to herself later, dread). She had not anticipated the great deal of effort it would take to overcome the vampire's regeneration.

She refused to show fear in front of her mother's killer. Besides, he'd finally acknowledged her. Progress happens in slow, bloody steps.

"What do you really want?" Yikkol said. "If you just wanted to feed your 'children,' you have a whole village down there." She gestures broadly at a nearby window. "Did you just invite us here to tell us how great you are?"
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-09-02 at 04:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

ElfWarriorGuy

"Those people are broken. Their blood would never satisfy my hunger. Your hearts, however, are still full of courage. It will be a delight to break you." He clasped his hand into a fist in the air. "Still you won't eat? If you think it is poisoned, you know me not. Poison is a coward's weapon. Lords kill with their own hands."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol stared dumbly at the faces of Zinro and Herbert, as if to say: Is this how all nobles talk? Regardless, she was adapting to the odd social circumstances.*

"I'm not hungry," Yikkol said, "but I am a bit tired. I'm sure killing us will be much more satisfying if our hearts are also full of vigor. Could you show us to our rooms?"

* In her companions' eyes, perhaps too slowly. :P

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 73/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

Herbert raises an eyebrow at this talk of souls. He hasn't sat down at the table yet... this isn't going to be a long meal. "Souls? Do you consider yourself to be a god, to know the hearts of others? All have failings and fears. It is how they are dealt with, not that they exist, that determines one's measure. Surely you have experienced regret and doubt, unless you are a paragon of inerrant perfection or an emotionless automaton. I can tell that you are, at least, not the latter."

"As for darkness? Recall that it is defined and bounded by the mere absence of light. Of itself, darkness is nothing, except what fear makes it out to be."

As Herbert says the word light, he casts Thaumaturgy and the candle-flames in the chandeliers lighting the room brighten to almost daylight intensity.

Spoiler
    Show

Thaumaturgy is Vocal only. It's a mere brightening effect and can't do any damage.

"You have invited us here and offered us food. As someone from a different land, please share enlighten me as to how far your hospitality extends, given the long-term intent you have shared.
    You wanted us here. Are there particular areas you wish for outside eyes to see? Artwork or histories that are wasted if none look upon them? A chapel in need of re-consecration?"
    Last edited by J-H; 2023-09-02 at 10:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro had leapt to his feet at the sound of the crossbow being fired. He immediately began to formulate what best possible strategy he might have in this moment. Turn invisible and then lob fireballs at the host? Were vampires even weak to fire? In the time he was thinking of his response, Zinro was surprised that the hall hadn't filled with guards or magically summoned minions. It was just Strahd, and despite the attack on him, still carried himself politely. Zinro tried desperately to think of a new plan; but was glad that Herbert had taken centre stage for the time being.

Telepathically, Zinro communicated to Dot: "Climb down from me and make your way over to the green woman named Yikkol and gently climb the back of her leg. Stay there for now and do not bite her."

OOC: Spider has 20ft speed, so Dot would dash over to Yikkol if necessary.
    Last edited by The Commander; 2023-09-02 at 10:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Bori blood ran cold and st Strahd's words and it was all he could do nit to clutch at his mask protectively. Somehow he knew that Strahd meant to destroy it along with Nethis' current physical form. His mark was useless for comforting himself, but cold reptilian focus flowed through his bond, easing his thundering heart.

He had to focus on something else, nit ker Strahdunder his skin. Only you and your children you say, then who made all of the food? He leans over the table, swinging his mark over the assembled dishes before picking a dish to inspect closely. Considering how house proud you were in the hall I'd have to worry about the state of your kitchens.

Living in a faded grandeur must be a choice for someone with all of your power, no? Why make yourself suffer? Are we here to ease that in some way?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He casts Purify Food and Drink on thr table in front of him.
    Inspecting the food (1d20)[9] plus 8 plus (1d4)[4] if proficiency with cooking utensils help identify any shenanigans

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

Asha
    Astral Elf Armorer Artificer
    AC: 13 HP: 103/103
    PPer: 16 PInv: 19 PIns: 12

A bolt is let loose and the quarrel embeds itself into Strahd's neck. Asha's eyes narrow, Is this all over that quickly? he thinks to himself.

The Count hardly reacts, casually pulling the quarrel out of his flesh, the wound stitching itself back together.

Asha lets his hands fall loose to his sides, unsure what will happen next, but the group has confirmed three things so far; Strahd's arrogance is supported by power, they will likely need the items the fortune teller had told them to acquire, and Yikkol is not afraid to take action.

11. - Top - End - #71

Rue
    Rue watched with dreadful fascination as the arrow flew and struck its target. Joy leaped in her heart as the Devil's blood flowed. She made ready to hurl herself into the fray, to join the combat with these strange people and do her part to destroy the Devil or perish in the trying.

But then...

He pulled the arrow. It did no lasting harm. And the conversation continued.

His words to her cut her deeply. She was already choking on the oppressive stillness of the air within the castle. Her ears and heart and mind were already filled with a deep, nameless dread that she could not ignore.

She was already convinced that she would die this night.

But what she felt in this moment was mostly frustration.

She sat one chair closer to Strahd than the nearest of her companions. Then sitting felt unnatural so she gave a small jump and perched on the chair with both feet (like an animal might).

"Why, then, Devil?" she said, her voice low and rasping, "Why this? Why the theatre? You know we aim to destroy you. Either we can do this or we cannot. Why sit and toy with us with this mockery of civility?"

That was more words than she'd spoken in some time. She wasn't even sure what she wanted the answer to be.

12. - Top - End - #72

ElfWarriorGuy

"I'm not hungry," Yikkol said, "but I am a bit tired. I'm sure killing us will be much more satisfying if our hearts are also full of vigor. Could you show us to our rooms?"
    Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    "You have invited us here and offered us food. As someone from a different land, please share enlighten me as to how far your hospitality extends, given the long-term intent you have shared. You wanted us here. Are there particular areas you wish for outside eyes to see? Artwork or histories that are wasted if none look upon them? A chapel in need of re-consecration?"
    "So be it!" Another shark grin crossed Strahd's face. "Head straight to the chapel, where the Morninglord shall forgive you for your sins. There, take the stairway down to the Guest Chambers. You'll find clean sheets and fresh towels, and servants to draw you a bath."

Living in a faded grandeur must be a choice for someone with all of your power, no? Why make yourself suffer? Are we here to ease that in some way?
    "Faded grandeur, you say... Why, I am certain these hallways will change your mind. But you are not wrong, my dear guest: You are here to ease my suffering. It gets lonely in Barovia, and I need entertainment. A king has his fools."

"Why, then, Devil?" she said, her voice low and rasping, "Why this? Why the theatre? You know we aim to destroy you. Either we can do this or we cannot. Why sit and toy with us with this mockery of civility?"
    "O, the hope... The faith... The heat!" He watched Rue as if the girl was a fascinating piece of art. "Yes! You can destroy me! Try, for all the gods you worship, all who have turned their backs and abandoned you in my domain! Fight! Struggle! Make the world hear your battle cries, and finally die in a puddle of your own blood!"

"For all the Dark Powers that be... Entertain me."

13. - Top - End - #73

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    "Head straight to the chapel, where the Morninglord shall forgive you for your sins. There, take the stairway down to the Guest Chambers. You'll find clean sheets and fresh towels, and servants to draw you a bath."
    The stairway down to the Guest Chambers - that was interesting; and somewhere below the castle was one of Madam Eva's mentioned treasures as well.

"An excellent idea, Count Zarovich - I am sure we are all tired from our journey here and could do with a rest." Zinro made a point of stressing this statement, almost as a plea to his companions. "Please direct us to the chapel and we shall not bother you further."

14. - Top - End - #74

ElfWarriorGuy

Strahd made a wide arc gesture with his hand, and somewhere in the Great Entry the company could hear a set of double doors bursting open of a sudden. "Fly, then. Seek solace under the gaze of your false gods. Soon you'll realize that only the Dark Powers reign over Barovia... And you shall lose all faith."

As Bori used magic to inspect and purify the food, Strahd threw him another disgusted look. "You are indeed a sad creature: One physically incapable of manners." He shook his head in disdain. "Have some class, half-man. It is below me to poison you. No, your death shall be much slower than mere poisoning. I will destroy your courage, your passion, your faith, your hope. If you still worry about the food, then I might have overestimated your cunning. This might be less entertaining than I hoped. Still... We shall see what we shall see."

15. - Top - End - #75

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro kept a wide berth between himself and Strahd as he slowly headed in the direction of the chapel, making sure his companions were following - he didn't wish to venture anywhere by himself.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol silently follows after, trying to walk careful enough not to knock Dot off of her. Once out of eyeshot, she offers her arm to the spider to climb up so it can get a better vantage point.

Then, once out of earshot: "Did you hear that bloodsucker?" Yikkol was fuming. "Didn't even try to taunt me with the death of my mother! What an awful man!"

Despite her outburst, Yikkol remembers the possible danger the party's in. She watches for possible traps and "children."

Perception: (1d20+10)[28].

17. - Top - End - #77

As they slowly leave the dining room, the distance between them and Strahd does little to settle his nerves

Well, not breaking bread freely offered by a host is pretty bad luck, but I couldn't shake a dark legend from my mind. A there were rumours that a Ghallanda baler of old lost out in a love triangle with a local noble. Driven mad with jealousy, the Demon Baker killed their mutual beloved and sent the lordling pies made with the remains as a "peace offering"

Don't worry, I shan't let us go hungry. I might have to forage outside eventually though.

The vaulted ceilings above them and the dust and cobwebs that fill the corridors continue to unnerve him. Why do people live in places like this? I've never seen a yurt look this like a Mausoleum. It's practically inviting the influence of the Realm of the Dead into the place! No wonder Strahd's a blood-drinker.

He is particularly greatful to be surrounded by companions. But Nethis does her best to keep him alert after so.many threats.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception with advantage (1d20+5)[16] or (1d20+5)[24]
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-09-04 at 01:24 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

The vaulted ceilings above them and the dust and cobwebs that fill the corridors continue to unnerve him. Why do people live in places like this? I've never seen a yurt look this like a Mausoleum. It's practically inviting the influence of the Realm of the Dead into the place! No wonder Strahd's a blood-drinker.
    “Because of the castle?” Yikkol mulls on the idea for a moment. “Would changing this castle change Strahd, then? He’d be much easier to kill as a human, without his regenerative powers…”

19. - Top - End - #79

“Because of the castle?” Yikkol mulls on the idea for a moment. “Would changing this castle change Strahd, then? He’d be much easier to kill as a human, without his regenerative powers…”
    These walls collect shadows and dread as much as dust and cobwebs.

Bori ponders Yikkol's words in turn. We all shape our surroundings and are shaped by them in turn. Changing the castle or Barovia might change Strahd, or maybe the other way around. If the castle were filled with light and joy, or we found something to bring him joy?...but I can't see that happening at all, let alone enough to make a difference.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-09-04 at 05:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Rue

Spoiler
    Show

Nil

Every step Rue took was a misery to her. She was an emotional creature by nature, used to operating on barely comprehended instinct. But the emotions roiled up by the confrontation with Strahd were powerful. And confusing.

Anger. And hate. And frustration. And fear. But also a kind of deep, sharp, howling sadness she found hard to accept or ignore. As though the part of her that wanted to take that place by his side was more than a passing notion.

Confusion made her hungry. She had not fed in some time. She was starving now. Ravenous. She did not have a stomach, in the normal sense, but whatever strange process operated within her that sought, and processed, the warm blood of the living, was howling for relief.

It had been centuries since she had fed on a sentient being (one that didn't have it coming, anyway). But it had been almost that long since she had felt this level of deprivation.

"I know only a little," she said, as much to use words as a distraction from her hunger as anything else, "But the Vistani say that, in some way, Strahd is Borovia. That it is an extension of his cancerous soul. It is possible that all of this..." she gestures broadly, "Is only here because he is here. Because this is how he wants it. However much he may hate it."

A pause. A frown.

"Which means, when we destroy him, we may be destroying the castle. The valley. The town. The people. The Vistani."

Longer pause.

"And perhaps ourselves. If we put Strahd to the torch and Barovia vanishes. We may vanish too."
    Last edited by truemane; 2023-09-04 at 08:51 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Firbolg in the Playground

Asha
    Astral Elf Armorer Artificer
    AC: 13 HP: 103/103
    PPer: 16 PInv: 19 PIns: 12

Asha lets out a breath he did not know he was holding, as the conversation continues and no further violence occurs. The thought of a soul, of faith, and hope and despair had not crossed his mind in decades, perhaps over a century, as the life of a competent mercenary had made things simple and rote. He dared to think, no feel, deeper when he saw the shooting star, and now it has guided him here, to a great hall with all the performance of a melodrama. Yet Strahd was not merely performing, he is real. Asha has been to many planets, and interacted with seers of many kinds. He believes there is truth in the crone's words, in the beliefs of his would-be allies, and in the declarations of their host, Count Strahd.

This is a game to Strahd, but one that Asha and the others will have to play in order to gain their freedom, or whatever it is some of the others are seeking from this place. As the others move to leave, Asha speaks up to Strahd, I've been to many worlds that look like Barovia, but have never encountered a feast like this among them. First impressions did not go the way we intended, I think, but if the Count permits, I'd like to take a plate with me as we retire to our quarters. Soldier's habits, to never let good food go to waste, and this seems like the finest I've laid eyes on in some time. I know we will be partaking in your hospitality in the days to come, but I'd like to begin tonight, as you intended.

22. - Top - End - #82

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

"Which means, when we destroy him, we may be destroying the castle. The valley. The town. The people. The Vistani."

Longer pause.

"And perhaps ourselves. If we put Strahd to the torch and Barovia vanishes. We may vanish too."
    Zinro didn't say anything, but quietly hoped that the pale child was simply being melodramatic. To have come all this way, just to be denied the ultimate prize, would be a cruel joke. Was Lolth punishing him for some misdeed? Perhaps.... perhaps the power of this dimension was tied not to Strahd directly, but to the lord of this castle? If that were so, Zinro's power would be more than he had anticipated - he could grow a land to rival... nay... surpass Menzoberranzan! Yes! That must be it! Strahd was no doubt a powerful vampire, but surely there was a greater power at work here that the creature was simply leeching off of, true to it's nature. That power would be Zinro's. Such a prize gave him renewed strength.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 73/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18

"Suffering, Count Strahd? You have a castle, wealth, and apparently servants and a domain to rule. What source of suffering could there be which you cannot fix, if you desire?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

These walls collect shadows and dread as much as dust and cobwebs.

Bori ponders Yikkol's words in turn. We all shape our surroundings and are shaped by them in turn. Changing the castle or Barovia might change Strahd, or maybe the other way around. If the castle were filled with light and joy, or we found something to bring him joy?...but I can't see that happening at all, let alone enough to make a difference.
    "I know only a little," she said, as much to use words as a distraction from her hunger as anything else, "But the Vistani say that, in some way, Strahd is Borovia. That it is an extension of his cancerous soul. It is possible that all of this..." she gestures broadly, "Is only here because he is here. Because this is how he wants it. However much he may hate it."

A pause. A frown.

Longer pause.

Despite herself, Yikkol shudders.

"I hope you're wrong. Because if that's the case, we'd have no hope of killing him at all."

25. - Top - End - #85

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    "Suffering, Count Strahd? You have a castle, wealth, and apparently servants and a domain to rule. What source of suffering could there be which you cannot fix, if you desire?"
    "What a pertinent question, father." Strahd raised an index finger in the air. "You are right. Long ago, I conquered this valley with a small army of loyal men, and gave it to my family as a gift. Since then, my glory has seen no boundaries. What else could I want? Why, time is relentless, and with time comes boredom. I have lived alone in this castle for for too long... A king needs entertainment!"

Back in the Great Entry, the double doors are now open:

This grand hall is choked with dust and stretches into darkness ahead. Webs hang from the arched ceiling like drapes, and life-sized statues of knights line the hallway on both sides, their eyes seeming to watch you.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Yikkol (28); Bori (24)
    The room seems clear of any danger
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-09-05 at 01:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol walks through the hall and heads towards the doors on the other side.

“Strahd doesn’t seem like the kind of person who has knights,” Yikkol says. “I wonder if these suits of armor were once owned by other adventurers who dared to challenge him…”
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-09-05 at 01:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Nethis matches pace with Yikkol as they pass through yhr hall.

Who knows? I once saw a theme-bar decorated with these things, even the Karrn's thought it was tacky, but it was a hit with lots of officers apparently.

28. - Top - End - #88

ElfWarriorGuy

Dim, colored light filters through tall, broken, and boarded-up windows of stained glass, illuminating the ancient chapel of Ravenloft. A few bats flutter about near the top of the ninety-foot-high domed ceiling. A balcony runs the length of the west wall, fifty feet above the floor. In the center of the balcony, two dark shapes are slumped in tall chairs.

Benches coated with centuries of dust lie about the floor in jumbled disarray. Beyond this debris, lit by a piercing shaft of light, an altar stands upon a stone platform. The sides of the altar are carved with bas-reliefs of angelic figures entwined with grape vines. The light from above falls directly on a silver statuette. A cloaked figure is draped over the altar, and a black mace lies on the floor near its feet.

OOC: Perception check everyone
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-09-05 at 05:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Nethis matches pace with Yikkol as they pass through yhr hall.

Who knows? I once saw a theme-bar decorated with these things, even the Karrn's thought it was tacky, but it was a hit with lots of officers apparently.
    Rue makes a sour face, frowning as she looks around the massive room.

"What... what is a theme-bar?"

She's been everywhere, but mostly in forests and alleys. The occasional belfry, maybe.

30. - Top - End - #90

Ugh, House Ghallanda are a dragonmarked house he points at his arm and control pubs, bars, hotels, spas all over my continent. The golden dragon is their big franchise, exactly the same no matter which city or nation you are in. Even worse, they have "unique" businesses based on some theme to grab other folk in.

It sounds silly but I was so relieved they quickly assigned me to the Dragom's Tail and packed me off to guard the assets they provided the armies. The closest thing I could get to getting away from them until the war ended.

Maybe I wished to get away too hard...
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-09-05 at 10:28 AM.