Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Asha
    Astral Elf Armorer Artificer
    AC: 23 HP: 103/103
    PPer: 16 PInv: 19 PIns: 12
    Conditions: Immune to Surprise, Adv on Init, Necklace of Adaptation
    Concentrating: --

Asha follows the others into the chapel, ignoring most of the conversation to keep alert to what might be around. Strahd had made reference to his children several times, and his disappointment with some of the others indicates that he is looking for a challenge with which to entertain himself. The slumped forms on the balcony above make Asha think he may be correct in suspecting some form of action in the immediate, and there is a cloaked figure draped over an altar before them as well. Everyone stay alert. I'm not sure what's on the balcony, but it might be trouble. Asha reaches into his bag and pulls a crytsal out of. Touching it to his forehead, it summons forth his Bionoid armor, completely encasing him in a strange heavy armor. When he speaks, his voice has a tinny quality, I'll be better able to assist with my armor summoned.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+6)[7]
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2023-09-05 at 11:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

As she opens the doors and sees the chapel, Yikkol freezes. First: because she almost entered a church without a priest leading the way. But second: those figures…

She waves the party over and silently points them out, along with whatever her Perception check lets her notice.

(Perception: 21 total.)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

(I know it's cliché, but as a reminder Zinro, as a Drow, has Superior Darkvision. Perception Roll: (1d20+5)[18])

As the party entered the chapel, Zinro moved up to Yikkol and commanded Dot to return to his side once he was next to the Half-Orc. "We were very lucky Strahd didn't decide to fight back there. Clearly his arrogance knows no bounds and we have missed an opportunity to gather more information from his boasting." He seethed. "I had my familiar climb onto you so that I could cast Greater Invisibility on you without having to stand next to you; if things had continued to escalate." He took a deep breath, trying to steady his frayed nerves.

"If you feel we have time, I could ritual cast Detect Magic and see what information is revealed. Alternatively I could cast it immediately." Zinro offered.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

"That's nice," Yikkol says. It becomes plain that she has no idea what a lesser invisibility is, let alone a greater one.

As for casting detect magic: "I don't know much about magic, so I'll leave that up to you."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 73/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18
    Conditions: --

"He can't leave. Not even if he wants to." Herbert is sure of this after the Count's last few comments.

Seeing the armored knights, he looks to see if all of them are identical, or if the armors appear to be of different origins, sizes, and styles.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Perception (1d20+8)[16] no Darkvision, but did cast Light that gives me a radius of clear vision.

Religion (1d20+4)[12] to know anything about who or how Strahd might have become trapped here. I haven't read Van Richten's Guide, but I've seen enough mentions to have a general idea that may be right.

Religion (1d20+4)[14] to assess the chapel to see who it's dedicated to and anything else relevant.

Herbert moves to examine the figure near the altar after causing his shield to glow with the warm yellow glow of Pelor's Light.

6. - Top - End - #96

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    "That's nice," Yikkol says. It becomes plain that she has no idea what a lesser invisibility is, let alone a greater one.

As for casting detect magic: "I don't know much about magic, so I'll leave that up to you."
    "To put it simply, as long as I was concentrating on maintaining the effect, you would have been invisible to the naked eye. Magical detection would still reveal you, but you would be able to move around and attack whilst invisible. Lesser forms of the effect are dispelled when you attack. I am sure you'd agree your chances of survival are much higher if Strahd cannot see you. As for Detect Magic, I can recite an extremely long form of the spell to be able to cast it without expending my own reserves of magical strength. Alternatively I can cast it immediately by expending that energy." Zinro thought for a moment. "It would be like fletching a new crossbow bolt out of wood and firing it, or simply firing a bolt you already had - eventually you'll run out of bolts if you fire them all; but you'll still be able to fletch new bolts and fire them, given enough time."

Zinro shielded his eyes slightly as Herbert's shield lit up.

"If we're not under immediate threat I'll begin a ritual to cast Detect Magic. If necessary I can stop and simply cast it immediately."

(Zinro finds a nice central spot in the chapel to begin ritual casting Detect Magic. As a reminder this takes 10 minutes)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    "He can't leave. Not even if he wants to." Herbert is sure of this after the Count's last few comments.
    "Brilliant deduction, your holiness! I'm sure we can put this knowledge to good use."

Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    "To put it simply, as long as I was concentrating on maintaining the effect, you would have been invisible to the naked eye. Magical detection would still reveal you, but you would be able to move around and attack whilst invisible. Lesser forms of the effect are dispelled when you attack. I am sure you'd agree your chances of survival are much higher if Strahd cannot see you. As for Detect Magic, I can recite an extremely long form of the spell to be able to cast it without expending my own reserves of magical strength. Alternatively I can cast it immediately by expending that energy." Zinro thought for a moment. "It would be like fletching a new crossbow bolt out of wood and firing it, or simply firing a bolt you already had - eventually you'll run out of bolts if you fire them all; but you'll still be able to fletch new bolts and fire them, given enough time."
    "Those do sound like nifty spells," Yikkol says, "though I feel conflicted about the invisibility. I'd want him to see me while bleeding out. I'd want him to know that Yikkol Four-Eyes defeated him and retrieved her mother's bones."

8. - Top - End - #98

As Zinro's ritual is about to complete, Bori whispers softly to the stones of the floor underneath each of the three figures.

Such loneliness, such cold, not even an echo of the chirxh this once was within them. He thinks and stokes Nethis on the neck gently, hoping to comfort both of them. We must escape this place! Lingering here, living or dead, could be worse than Dolurrh! The fastieth nuzzles him back but neither are much reassured.

He listens carefully to the replies of the spirits. If the bodies on top of them are undead then they should be able to feel it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Divine Sense 60ft to see if the bodies are undead. Waiting until Zinro's just about to finish his ritual just so that he doesn't interrupt anything. He'll pace the room to male sure they're in range if he needs to.

9. - Top - End - #99

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Seeing the armored knights, he looks to see if all of them are identical, or if the armors appear to be of different origins, sizes, and styles.
    The knight statues were portrayed wearing full plate armor and bearing the symbol of the Morninglord, looking like real paladins of the order. They are mostly identical.

The figure slumped on the altar was a warrior in chainmail, a fallen hero of yore. As the fellowship approached the altar, however, they heard creepy sounds of claws raking against stone coming from the vaulted ceiling overhead. Above them, creatures in the darkness climbed along the ceiling and down the pillars that sustained it.

"Hungry..." Said a low, rattling voice.
    "Blood..." Said another. "Fresh blood..."

Four pairs of red eyes glimmered in the darkness. Silhouettes of elongated limbs and sharp claws crawled upside down and down the pillars of the chapel.

"Father has sent us snacks!"

Spoiler: Initiative!
    Show
    Here's an invite link for the battlemap in Owlbear Rodeo. Everyone please roll Initiative in the OOC thread and place your token anywhere in the chapel. The location of the enemies will revealed before we actually start the encounter, but only after all PC tokens are placed.

10. - Top - End - #100

ElfWarriorGuy

Combat started
    Vampire Spawns' initiative: 22

The creatures of the night slithered through the shadowed vaulted ceilings of Chapel Ravenloft, each one a grotesque parody of human form. Their pallid, mottled skin clung to their emaciated frames like shrouds, and their elongated fingers ended in razor-sharp claws. Theirs eyes, once filled with the fire of life, were now vacant pools of abyssal darkness, devoid of any trace of humanity. And deep down in that darkness, a red glow of rage.

[Religion 15 to recognize Vampire Spawns]

The first to reveal itself had been an armored champion in life; Now, rusted iron plates were all that remained from his once noble suit of armor. The rattling of chainmail announced every step.

Behind him, clinging to a pillar, was the shadow of a woman who once had been a druid. She tapped her wooden staff against the stone and cast curses in some ancient unknown language.

[Religion or Nature DC 15 to notice the 'druidic' properties of this creature]

Clinging to the ceiling were two other creatures of the same kind: One, the undead version of an old elven Master, dressed in tattered robes that once had been luxurious. The other, a shirtless tribesman carrying a reinforced bow made of the horn of some huge animal.

[Arcana 15 to notice the 'wizardry' properties of this creature]
    [Religion or Perception 17 to notice something else about the archer]

"Ah, father must be proud of us." While the undead knight's appearance might have inspired greatness and might, his voice was just as fiendish as any vampire's. His tongue dribbled out of his jaw, exposing his horrible teeth. "Look at them. Another batch of heroes ." He broke into a hideous laugh . "Have you missed the sign? Fools? Abandon all hope! Surrender this futile crusade immediately!"

"Enough with the courtesies, Sir Theodore. I'm damn hungry...!"

"Valaraz! Se'beroh! Mundo!" Although the incantations rattled in her throat like a demon's speech, her elvish carried perfect pronunciation, denoting high class education.

Laughs uncontrollably

[WIP: Currently waiting everyone to have a token placed on the battlemap]
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-09-07 at 06:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101

ElfWarriorGuy

The undead knight let go of the stone ceiling, ninety feet above their heads, opening his arms in a wide arc, and launched itself at Herbert like a missile. They went down together in a scramble, a whirlwind of claws lashing out at the cleric.

2 Claws against Herbert Raycraft (AC 20)
    (1d20+6)[7](2d4+3)[9]
    (1d20+6)[18](2d4+3)[7]

Plus Tasha's rules on "Falling on another creature":
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    If a creature falls into the space of a second creature and neither of them is Tiny, the second creature must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or be impacted by the falling creature, and any damage resulting from the fall is divided evenly between them.

Fall damage (90 ft)
    (9d6)[34]

The Wizard and the Druid both announced their ancient magic words and conjured the same spell upon themselves. Their muscles suddenly bulged out, revealing magically enhanced physical strength.

[Arcana and Religion DC 12 to identify the spell Enhance Ability: Bull's Strength]

The Archer aimed for the backline, sticking to the safest point he could find in the chapel.

2 arrows against Yikkol Four-Eyes (AC 16)
    (1d20+6)[17](1d8+3)[5]
    (1d20+6)[8](1d8+3)[11]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol ducks as twin arrows fly at her, though one still manages to graze the side of her neck. She cusses, sets her feet hard on the ground, and returns fire.

• Attack roll with Steady Aim: (1d20+9)[17] or (1d20+9)[27].
    • Damage rolls: (1d10+5)[10] and (5d6)[18] magical piercing damage. (28 total.)
    • Uncanny Dodge reduces 5 damage to 2.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-09-08 at 02:05 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 59/73
    Conditions: --

Herbert fails to dodge as the vampire lands on him, although the "knight's" claws merely scrabble across his armor. In return, he speaks a word, and Pelor's light flashes around him. He stands and conjures a glowing yellow mace, which also attacks the vampire, but misses.

"We'll need magic, or holy light, to really burn these! Otherwise, they can heal their wounds. When we down them, watch for where the mist goes!" he calls out, informing the others of the vampire's weaknesses to radiant, resistance to necrotic, etc.

Spoiler
    Show

Dex save rolled OOC - prone
    34 / 2 = 17 - 3 for HAM (non-magic bludgeoning) =14 damage
    1/2 movement to talk
    1/2 movement to stand up.

Action Word of Radiance, enemies within 5' take (2d6)[4] radiant damage, Con DC 16 negates
    VS Knight Con save (1d20)[12] plus mods

BA Spiritual Weapon
    Attack (1d20+8)[10] for (1d8+4)[8] force damage
    Last edited by J-H; 2023-09-08 at 04:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Battle joined, the halfling raises his mask to his face. The stylised designs resembling fangs seems to jumpt into life snarling in a manner that uncannily resembles Nethis's own expression.

Bori reaches out to to the tormented spirits of the chapel. The faintest echo of its former consecration remains within the stone and these "children" of Strahd's are anathema to it. Rue, Asha, and Herbert feel their movements guided by these unseen forces, fighting to rid the chapel of this taint.

Nethis instinctively reacts to Bori's will, adjusting her position to match his calling to the spirits.

Show
    1st level bless on the three above. Repositioning to be able to reach Rue with it.

15. - Top - End - #105

Asha
    AC: 23 HP: 103/103 THP: 10/10
    Conditions: Immune to Surprise, Adv on Init, Necklace of Adaptation

Archer up above! Asha shouts out, Maintain cover if you can! He moves forward beside Herbert, the Bionoid armor hardening with each step to provide greater protection. He can feel Bori's combat magic wash over him, and his gauntleted hand turns into a fist as he rains down blows on the vampire spawn near the altar.

Spoiler: Turn 1
    Show
    Bonus Action - Activate Defensive Field for +10 Temporary Hit Points
    Move - Move adjacent to Vampire Spawn at altar
    Action - Attack with Thunder Gauntlets vs Vampire Spawn (Bless and maybe Advantage)
    Attack 1 - (1d20+11)[27] + (1d4)[3], Advantage Roll if applicable (1d20+11)[26]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[8] Thunder Damage
    Attack 2 - (1d20+11)[13] + (1d4)[2], Advantage Roll if applicable (1d20+11)[16]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[12] Thunder Damage

16. - Top - End - #106

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro immediately stops trying to ritual cast Detect Magic and instead drops prone to avoid being a tempting target for ranged attacks. Once again he telepathically commands Dot to rush over to Yikkol and climb onto the back of her leg. He quickly considered his options. Seeing his cousin elf wading right into the fight and attacking ferociously, Zinro decided to assist them and began to utter a spell of great speed upon them.

Spoiler
    Show

Dot easily reaches Yikkol and climbs onto the back of her leg; communication with the spider is entirely telepathic at this moment.

Zinro drops prone in his current square and casts Haste (3rd Level, Concentration) on Asha.

Until the spell ends, the target’s speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action.

When the spell ends, the target can’t move or take actions until after its next turn, as a wave of lethargy sweeps over it.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Rue
    Dhampir Barbarian 8/Fighter 2
    AC: 17 HP: 128
    PP:16 PIv: 11 PIs: 16
    Rage: 4/4
    Rue throws her head back and lets loose a shriek of rage that echoes back and forth across the cavernous space. With an uncanny burst of speed she bolts toward the spawn near the alter and hurls herself at it with shocking strength. She then leaps on top of it and tries to hold it in place.

Spoiler
    Show

Bonus Action: enter Rage, gain Claws, move half my speed (20 ft)
    Action: Attack!
    1 - Shove! DC 24.
    2 - Grapple! DC 18
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

18. - Top - End - #108

ElfWarriorGuy

Resolving Round one

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    [Yikkol]
    Archer suffers [28] magical piercing damage.

[Herbert]
    Knight suffers [4] radiant damage.
    Spiritual weapon misses.

[Bori]
    Nature/Religion from the Druid Spawn to identify the Bless spell, DC 11 (10 + level of the spell)
    (1d20+3)[15]

[Asha]
    Knight suffers [8] thunder damage.
    Second attack misses.

[Lord Zinro]
    Arcana from the Wizard Spawn to identify the Haste spell, DC 13 (10 + level of the spell)
    (1d20+3)[6]

[Rue]
    Sir Theodore's Athletics check against Shove, DC 24
    (1d20+6)[14]

Sir Theodore's Athletics check against Grapple, DC 18
    (1d20+6)[19]

Round two

Powered by her enhanced muscles, the undead elven wizard crawled across the vaulted ceiling and launched herself towards the closest target available, the noble Lord Zinro. Although only a shadow of the elf's arcane knowledge still remained in her mind, she was still sane enough to realize the dark elf was casting a spell, and spells required full concentration.

"Fresh meat!!" Her devilish tongue flailed out of her mouth as she leapt off the ceiling.

Fall damage: (9d6)[32]

Half the movement to get up from prone position.

Attempt to grapple Lord Zinro (Advantage from Bull's Strength)
    (1d20+3)[6] or (1d20+3)[8]

Second attack: Bite if grappled, Claws if not grappled
    Bite: (1d20+6)[21] for (1d6+3)[4] and (2d6)[6] damage
    Or
    Claws: (1d20+6)[24] for (2d4+3)[6] damage

Wizard Spawn
    (1d20+6)[19] disadvantage to attack Zinro while Prone
    Wizard's concentration check against fall damage to maintain Bull's Strength, DC 16
    (1d20+3)[14]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other side of the battlefield, the Druid Spawn did the same to bombard Rue.

Druid attempts to grapple Rue (Advantage from Bull's Strength)
    (1d20+3)[21] or (1d20+3)[12]

Second attack: Bite if grappled, Claws if not grappled
    Bite: (1d20+6)[17] for (1d6+3)[4] and (2d6)[9] damage
    Or
    Claws: (1d20+6)[17] for (2d4+3)[10] damage

Druid's fall damage: (9d6)[21]

Druid's concentration check against fall damage to maintain Bull's Strength, DC will depend on Rue's dex save
    (1d20+3)[17]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The knight cried to his allies: "Retreat from the priest! He wields the bright light!" His voice taken by horror. Noticing his wounds ceased to regenerate, he immediately changed strategies.

Half of his movement to communicate with his party.
    Half of his movement to get up from Prone position.

Sir Theodore attacks Rue twice
    Claws: (1d20+6)[11] for (2d4+3)[9] damage
    Claws: (1d20+6)[17] for (2d4+3)[7] damage

"They have a marksman!! Someone give me cover!!" The archer shrieked, clinging to the wall to make himself smaller and hopefully dodge some of Yikkol's projectiles.

Archer shoots at Yikkol again
    Hornbow: (1d20+6)[13] for (1d8+3)[4] damage
    Hornbow: (1d20+6)[23] for (1d8+3)[9] damage
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-09-09 at 08:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro cried out as the vampire sunk it's teeth into him. He could feel his lifeblood being stolen away and he fought hard to concentrate on the spell he had cast on Asha.

Zinro was no fighter - he had to escape the clutches of this vile beast.

He looked over to Yikkol and began to speak words of transportation. With a pop of reality, Zinro briefly disappeared and then reappeared next to Yikkol. He hauled himself to his feet.

He then looked up at the Vampire Archer. The Wizard was bearing down on them, but the party had to concentrate on one at a time or they'd never get anywhere. Weaving another magical incantation, Zinro reached out with a hand and suddenly a skeletal hand appeared around the Archer's neck, attempting to strangle whatever passed for life out of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Bonus Action to cast Misty Step (2nd Level) - the spell is purely Verbal, but Grapples don't stop spells anyways - appear in the square next to Yikkol. Grapple is automatically broken.
    Remaining Prone
    Action to cast the Cantrip Chill Touch at the Vampire Archer. Using Pythagoras, they are within the 120ft range of the spell. Ranged Spell Attack: (1d20+8)[13]. If hit, the Archer takes (2d8)[6] Necrotic damage (which I know they resist). However, if the spell hits, the target cannot regain hit points until the start of my next turn and they have disadvantage on attack rolls against me.

EDIT: Realised that by remaining Prone I'd technically have disadvantage on Chill Touch, and I don't want that, so I will use Half my Movement to Stand.
    Last edited by The Commander; 2023-09-09 at 09:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Rue
    Dhampir Barbarian 8/Fighter 2
    AC: 17 HP: 120 (or 111)/128
    PP:16 PIv: 11 PIs: 16
    Rage: 3/4
    Rue was afraid of a lot of things. Being alone. Being abandoned. Herself. But she did not fear pain. And she did not fear death. When the spawn attacked and battered her, she only grew angrier, her bloodlust and desire for victory greater.

Concentrating on the knight ("Sir Theodore") she threw off his pathetic attempt to restrain her and slashed at him with her vicious bestial claws. And then followed up with a restraining attempt of her own.

Spoiler
    Show

Rue takes either 17 or 8 damage (depending on if it's magical)

Resist Grapple: 31
    Dex Save: 16 (thank the gods for Advantage)

Action:
    Attack 1: Shove Sir Theodore: 29
    Attack 2: Claws on Sir Theodore:
    -Attack 27 for 9 magical slashing damage (forgot to add Rage damage in my OC post)
    -Attack 25 or 32, for 9 magical slashing damage

Bonus Action: Grapple Sir Theodore, DC 28
    Last edited by truemane; 2023-09-09 at 10:04 AM.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

21. - Top - End - #111

Asha
    AC: 24 (Haste) HP: 103/103 THP: 10/10
    Conditions: Hasted, Immune to Surprise, Adv on Init, Necklace of Adaptation

Asha feels a wave of speed and energy flow through his armor. Just as quickly, more spawn drop from the ceilings. Zinro is pinned to the ground, but is able to escape with magic. Rue is upon the vampire knight, but another pounces on her and another on Bori. Asha keeps the pressure up on both spawn near him, using the thunderous magic of the bionoid armor to disrupt their attacks against allies. He calls out to Yikkol and Zinro, Use the pews for cover if you can!

Spoiler: Turn 2
    Show

Move - Call out to allies
    Action - Attack Sir Theo (Bless, Advantage)
    Attack 1 - (1d20+11)[28], (1d20+11)[28] + (1d4)[2]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[15] Thunder damage
    Attack 2 - (1d20+11)[28], (1d20+11)[22] + (1d4)[1]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[10] Thunder damage
    Haste Action - Attack wizard spawn that is Prone (Bless, Advantage)
    Attack 3 - (1d20+11)[31], (1d20+11)[31] + (1d4)[4]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[13] Thunder damage + 5 crit damage, rolled in OOC thread

Hit Effect (Thunder Gauntlets) - Creatures hit by the Thunder Gauntlets have Disadvantage to hit anyone other than Asha until the start of Asha's next turn, as distracting pulses are emitted from the armor.
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2023-09-09 at 11:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    Conditions: Bless (Bori)
    Concentrating: Spirit Guardians

Herbert sends his spiritual mace to attack Sir Theodore again, taking advantage of the vampire having been knocked down and pinned in place by Rue. With the bulk of his attention, however, he calls upon his god. "Pelor, guard us and bring light to this dark place!"

His holy symbol glows, a sword-like line of light extending from it, then splitting and splitting and splitting again over a second until eight sword-like blades of light, wielded by faintly glowing angelic figures, encircle Herbert.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spiritual Weapon attack vs Theo, who should be prone
    Attack (1d20+8)[23] or (1d20+8)[25]+ Bless (1d4)[4] for (1d8+4)[5] force damage.

Since 3 vampire spawn were courteous enough to get within 15', Spirit Guardians!
    15' radius
    Enemy speeds reduced to 1/2 within the area. When they start their turns there (or enter the area for the first time, if the archer decides to jump down), they take 3d8 radiant damage, Wis DC 16 half.

23. - Top - End - #113

Bori and Nethis leap to defend Zinro as the elven spawn grabs hold of him. As they rush forwards the elf fades from view, leaving the spawn alone.

We're too stick in our ways, can't just assume this lot need our protection all the time.

He calls on the heart if his blade, blessed by the light of all 12 moons, bringing the light of Barrakas the Lantern to burn the keeper-cursed creature.

A glance shows him Zinro's new position of safety. He nods in respect to the mage's skill. The hidden paths exist here too, Nethis, with the right guides we might walk them too.

Show
    Reposition as per the map. I assume only one of those hit 7 magical piercing and 11 radiant damage.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-09-09 at 05:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

"They have a marksman!! Someone give me cover!!" The archer shrieked, clinging to the wall to make himself smaller and hopefully dodge some of Yikkol's projectiles. Archer shoots at Yikkol again
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    He looked over to Yikkol and began to speak words of transportation. With a pop of reality, Zinro briefly disappeared and then reappeared next to Yikkol. He hauled himself to his feet.
    As Zinro teleports across the room, Yikkol is already on the move. One hornbow arrow breaks where she was standing. Another slices her lower arm. She grunts in pain but continues forward, jumping over pews and landing next to a grappled and prone Sir Theodore.

She throws her crossbow over her shoulder, draws her sword, and thrusts it downwards into the monster's eye.

• Interact with an Object to sheathe the crossbow & Fast Hands (Use an Object) to draw her sword.
    • Rapier Attack (Adv.): (1d20+8)[18] or (1d20+8)[13].
    • Rapier damage: (1d8+4)[7] and (5d6)[20] nonmagical piercing damage. If it hits, that's 13 piercing damage.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-09-09 at 03:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

ElfWarriorGuy

Resolving Round Two:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Lord Zinro]
    - Chill Touch misses (13).

[Rue]
    - Druid Spawn takes full damage from the fall and maintains concentration on Bull's Strength.
    - Sir Theodore cannot resist Shove at DC 29 (his modifier is +6) and falls prone.
    - Sir Theodore suffers [7] Magical Slashing Damage then [14] Magical Slashing Damage (crit).
    - Sir Theodore cannot resist Grapple at DC 28 (his modifier is +6) and is Grappled.

[Asha]
    - (30) and (29) hit, plus crit. Sir Theodore suffers [15], then [10], then [21] Thunder damage.

[Herbert]
    - Sir Theodore suffers [4] Force damage.

[Bori]
    - (27) hits, (11) misses. Wizard Spawn suffers [7] Magical Piercing and [11] Radiant damage.

[Yikkol]
    - (18) hits. Sir Theodore suffers [13] Piercing damage.

Round Three

Wizard Spawn

(1d20+3)[12] Wisdom save to take half of (3d8)[11] radiant damage.

Wizard Spawn takes the Dash action, triggering Attacks of Opportunity from both Bori and Asha, and moves 60 ft. It takes 10 ft. just to walk the last square within Herbert's spell, leaving 50 ft. She reaches the wall with 15 ft. and climb 35 ft.
    Corrected to:

Wizard Spawn spends 15ft of movement to get up and takes the Dash action, triggering Attacks of Opportunity from both Bori and Asha. It takes 10 ft. just to walk the last square within Herbert's spell, leaving only 35 ft. She reaches the wall with 15 ft. and climbs 20 ft.

Druid Spawn

(1d20+3)[20] Wisdom save to take half of (3d8)[7] radiant damage.

Druid Spawn takes the Dash action, triggering an Attack of Opportunity from Rue. He moves 10 ft. towards the wall (15ft. because of Herbert's spell) and climb 45 ft. up.

Sir Theodore

(1d20+3)[23] Wisdom save to take half of (3d8)[11] radiant damage.

Sir Theodore attacks Rue twice (disadvantage for being prone)
    Claws: (1d20+6)[12] or (1d20+6)[9] for (2d4+3)[10]
    Claws: (1d20+6)[18] or (1d20+6)[16] for (2d4+3)[9]

The knight looked bloodied, full of burn marks and scorches from the lightning and radiant magic that rained down on him. His armor was battered and his vampiric body endured several cuts in the gaps of his armor. On top of that, his wounds were not regenerating during the whole fight. Now, when the beast attacked, there wasn't only hunger in its eyes, but an urge to survive. Now it fought for its miserable, cursed life.

Archer

(1d20+3)[17] Wisdom save to take half of (3d8)[15] radiant damage.
    (ignore this roll, I mixed things up)

Archer shoots Rue twice, in an attempt to save Sir Theodore from inevitable doom.
    Hornbow: (1d20+6)[20] for (1d8+3)[6] damage
    Hornbow: (1d20+6)[14] for (1d8+3)[8] damage
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-09-11 at 06:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol pulls a vial of acid from her jacket pocket, uncorks it with her teeth, and splashes it over Sir Theodore’s face. Then, using her right arm like a hammer, she shoves the sword even deeper into the vampire’s eyes. It makes a loud crunching sound as she does so.

“Surrender!” Yikkol growls. “Surrender and your lives may be spared! Our business is with Strahd. Aid us or die!”

• Attack roll (Fast Hands—acid vial): (1d20+4)[9].
    • Damage roll if it hits: [/roll]2d6+4[/roll] acid damage.
    • Attack roll (rapier): (1d20+8)[12] or (1d20+8)[10], whichever is higher.
    • Damage roll: (1d8+4)[12] and (5d6)[19] nonmagical piercing damage.

EDIT: Yeah, no one's gonna be intimidated by that sad turn.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-09-10 at 12:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    Conditions: Bless (Bori)
    Concentrating: Spirit Guardians

Herbert's glowing mace attacks the fallen knight as he shifts his position slightly, then calls upon Pelor to smite the wizard that just escaped to the north.

Spoiler
    Show

SW w/ advantage
    (1d20+8)[23] or (1d20+8)[27] for (1d8+4)[7] force damage

Spirit Guardians is still up. 3d8 radiant damage and Wis DC 15 at the start of Sir Theo's next turn.

Move 5'
    Sacred Flame at wizard, Dex DC 16 or take (2d6)[10] plus (1d8)[7] radiant damage. The bonus radiant damage is from Blessed Strikes.
    VW Dex save (1d20)[13] plus mods

If the wizard goes down from OAs, etc., then switch target to the one to the southeast (druid?)

28. - Top - End - #118

The spawn starts to scuttle away and Bori's blade lashes out at them. They slog through the priest's field of energy, bursting free, scrabbling up the wall. A grinning reptilian from streaks after them, jumping off a pew and briefly scrabbling at the wall before sliding back down to the floor.

At the zenith of the jump, Bori reaches out to the stones the spawn is clingjng to. Revilt at thr stagnation of Strahd's reign pours back from the stone, attempting to hold the spawn in place.

Show
    Chase after the spawn, jumping up directly underneath it, jumping off a pew to 5th in the air.
    Channel Divinty: Nature's Wrath, range 10ft, DC 16 Strength or Dexterity save or be restrained. Save again at the end of own turns.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-09-11 at 07:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Not wanting to be alone and outside any of the spheres of divine protection, Zinro moved to be closer to the group.

He continued to try and assail the vampiric ranger with necromantic magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action to put myself next to the group.
    Main Action to try and cast Chill Touch again on the Archer Spawn. Ranged Spell Attack: (1d20+8)[17]. If hit, the Archer takes (2d8)[14] Necrotic damage (which I know they resist). However, if the spell hits, the target cannot regain hit points until the start of my next turn and they have disadvantage on attack rolls against me.

30. - Top - End - #120

Asha
    AC: 24 (Haste) HP: 103/103 THP: 10/10
    Conditions: Hasted, Immune to Surprise, Adv on Init, Necklace of Adaptation

After being struck by a spinning back fist, and attacked by Bori and Herbert's magic, the wizard spawn knew it had to retreat. It made a mad dash for the wall. Asha's fist lashes out for another strike.

Spoiler: Round 2 Reaction
    Show

Opportunity Attack vs Wizard Spawn
    Attack - (1d20+11)[23] + (1d4)[1]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[8]

Sir Theodore, the knightly spawn, is dogpiled, getting struck by Rue, Herbert, and Asha. With a quick glance around, Asha can see that Bori and Herbert are keeping up the pressure on the wizard spawn, and Lord Zinro is harrying the archer spawn. The best thing would then be to assist Rue and Herbert in destroying Sir Theodore, to then focus on the remaining spawn. Asha looks down at the desperate vampire, Your brothers and sisters have abandoned you. Let's put you out of your misery.

Spoiler: Turn 3
    Show
    Action - Attack vs Sir Theodore (Bless, Advantage[Prone])
    Attack 1 - (1d20+11)[23], (1d20+11)[26] + (1d4)[3]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[14]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+11)[30], (1d20+11)[27] + (1d4)[2]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[15]
    Haste Action - Attack vs Sir Theodore (Bless, Advantage[Prone])
    Attack 3 - (1d20+11)[17], (1d20+11)[31] + (1d4)[1]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[12]

Hit Effect - Thunder Gauntlets: Sir Theodore has Disadvantage to attack anyone other than Asha until the start of Asha's next turn.
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2023-09-11 at 09:11 AM.