New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: New Weapons!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default New Weapons!

Because apparently, we don't have enough of those already.

New Weapons:
    Simple Weapon Cost Damage (S) Damage (M) Critical Range Increment Weight Type
    Light Melee Weapon
    Cleaver 2 gp 1d3 1d4 ×3 1-1/2 lb. Slashing
    Martial Weapon Cost Damage (S) Damage (M) Critical Range Increment Weight Type
    Two-Handed Melee Weapon
    Military fork1 11 gp 1d6 2d4 ×2 10 lb. Piercing
    Exotic Weapons Cost Damage (S) Damage (M) Critical Range Increment Weight Type
    Two-Handed Melee Weapons
    Polesaw1 30 gp 1d4 1d6 19–20/×2 8 lb. Piercing and slashing
    Splitting maul 42 gp 1d10 2d8 ×3 16 lb. Bludgeoning or slashing
    1Reach weapon.

Military Fork: This long polearm with a two-pronged head and additional, shorter hooks extending from the socket the head is affixed with to the shaft is designed, first and foremost, to impede and inconvenience foes, arther than merely to damage them. With a military fork, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails). You can also use this weapon to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the fork to avoid being tripped.

Polesaw: A concave, serrated blade mounted on a pole, the polesaw can cause grievous wounds. Whenever a polesaw hits, the wound continues to bleed, dealing an additional, cumulative 1 point of damage each round until healing (whether mundane or magical) is administered.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-08-28 at 08:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: New Weapons!

And I knew I was forgetting something! Here, take a look:

Martial Weapon Cost Damage (S) Damage (M) Critical Range Increment Weight Type
    Two-Handed Melee Weapon
    Estoc 35 gp 1d8 1d12 19–20/×2 9 lb. Piercing

3. - Top - End - #3

And even more new weapons:

Exotic Weapons Cost Damage (S) Damage (M) Critical Range Increment Weight Type
    Light Melee Weapon
    Choke pear1 30 gp 1d3 1d4 ×2 1 lb. Bludgeoning
    Two-Handed Melee Weapon
    Bearlog1 8 gp 1d10 2d8 ×2 14 lb. Bludgeoning
    Ranged Weapon
    Orc flight hammer1 15 gp 3d4 4d4 ×4 40 ft. 8 lb. Piercing and slashing
    1See description for special rules of use.

Bearlog: The bearlog is a thick, somewhat flat log of hardwood, up to 4 feet long when sized for a Medium creature with two loops carved into one side where it can be grasped. For a proficient user, the bearlog doubles as a protective item, providing a +2 shield bonus to AC. Melarctons and halarctons treat the bearlog as a martial weapon.

Choke Pear: A pear-shaped implement made of metal or wood, the choke pear is composed of four or more wedge- or spoon-shaped slices. It is a clumsy implement as a weapon, but it enables a proficient wielder to execute an insidious tactical maneuver: as a full-round action such a wielder can make a touch attack against an adjacent opponent; if succesful, the wielder shoves the pear into the opponent's mouth and can, as a free action, turn and lock into position a special key that doubles as the pear's handle. Thereupon, the pear expands, after which the opponent is unable to speak or use verbal components until such time as the pear is removed, which requires 1d4 rounds or a succesful DC 15 Disable Device or Profession (executioner) check.

Orc Flight Hammer: An improvement on the Orc shotput, a flight hammer consists of a heavy, roughly spherical weight of stone or crude iron and a wooden handle or sturdy chain affixed to it. The wielder grabs the handle or the free end of the chain and spins around rapidly to give the hammer momentum, before releasing and letting it fly. If thrown correctly, it is known to down Giants with a single hit. Using a flight hammer is a full-round action.

The terms I use for Anthropomorphic Brown and Polar Bears, respectively, in my developing setting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Some of the stuff here is mildly interesting, but I think it's a little overly-complicated for what it does.

Polesaw: 1d6 damage on a 2-handed weapon is not impressive, downright cruddy in fact, and the bonus 1 point of bleeding damage doesn't make up for that IMO even as it builds. Assuming I'm interpreting this correctly that means damage on Turn 1 would be 1d6+Str+1, and then on Turn 2 it would be 1d6+Str+2, etc etc etc, ASSUMING you keep hitting the same creature over and over again.
    If you imagine a 5-round combat, the bonus damage takes several rounds to build up to an appreciable level and won't get there before the target is likely to keel over and die anyway.

I did the math to compare it to the Splitting Maul, and the polesaw takes 5-6 rounds for it's damage per-round (assuming 1 attack that hits per round, +3 Strength) to catch up to where the maul STARTS. And it takes 10 rounds for it to catch up in total damage. And this is ignoring crits which favor the maul because I assume the bleed-damage doesn't crit AND multiple attacks per round which also favor the maul because the bleed-damage doesn't benefit from multiple attacks. Switching it from per-round to per-attack might help a little, but there is one other major glaring issue.

That issue is that the Polesaw works best against a single large target, but if you have to keep swapping targets the damage is never going to build up to an appreciable level. Meanwhile a normal weapon is equally good on a single large creature as it is on several small ones.
    I guess the image of some big monster running away from combat and then dying anyway before it can patch up it's wounds is kinda funny, but it does kill off the chance of a "dramatic victory", and overall I'm not convinced the Polesaw is worth the complications.

Estoc: No real comments here, just that for some reason I thought that an Estoc was a one-handed weapon, but when checking the wiki it says they were mostly used 2-hand (half-hand style) so that's good to know. Aside from that, all I have to say is that D&D tends to GROSSLY over-estimate the weight of weapons and armor. The wiki that I read also says that most Estocs were about 4 pounds, with the heaviest example being about 6. Yours is listed as 9 pounds, so while it's probably in keeping with D&D weights, it's also kinda oversized for a medium creature.

Chokepear: I get that it's supposed to be an anti-caster tool, and I hate hate HATE to lean on the "realism" button in D&D, but I just can't see someone utilizing this with any degree of reliability. Trying to picture it being used in combat breaks my verisimilitude, and kind of grosses me out. If you can reliably shove something into someone's mouth, AND activate the special trigger (that you don't accidentally activate when you're bludgeoning someone with it instead?), then it seems like I should just be able to make a called-shot to the jaw with my normal weapon that would have the same sort of effect. And that I wouldn't need to burn a feat on learning an Exotic Weapon proficiency.
    Its kinda like using shackles as weapon- yes that something that you can bind someone's arms or legs with to keep them from fighting back, but you chain them up AFTER you use a normal weapon to beat them unconscious. I don't try to tie them up WHILE they are still stabbing back at me.

Anywho I hope the criticism doesn't come across as overly harsh, I do like the creativity. It just needs to be balanced with ease-of-use and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    Some of the stuff here is mildly interesting,
    The second-to-fourth best kind of interesting!

Polesaw: 1d6 damage on a 2-handed weapon is not impressive, downright cruddy in fact, and the bonus 1 point of bleeding damage doesn't make up for that IMO even as it builds.
    I did the math to compare it to the Splitting Maul, and the polesaw takes 5-6 rounds for it's damage per-round (assuming 1 attack that hits per round, +3 Strength) to catch up to where the maul STARTS.
    That issue is that the Polesaw works best against a single large target, but if you have to keep swapping targets the damage is never going to build up to an appreciable level. Meanwhile a normal weapon is equally good on a single large creature as it is on several small ones.
    All fair, all true! I only wrote it up because I used it as an example of a weird farming implement that would make a fun, if suboptimal, improvised weapon (another thing on the list was the broadfork) in a non-D&D game. But yeah. How much bleeding (I feel like an ugly wound from serrated stuff should do something like that) would you think could make it wothwhile, assuming we keep the base damage low (the polesaw differs from a saw-saw mostly in terms of reach)?

Estoc:
    Yours is listed as 9 pounds, so while it's probably in keeping with D&D weights, it's also kinda oversized for a medium creature.
    I know. I have some experience with bows and own a battleaxe myslef. WotC… Is bad at this. I'm merely trying to keep my stuff compatible (which is why I over-LA my playable monsters), and the other way would be to make the official content make sense. I'm too lazy to do a full overhaul, just to plug a niche half empty.

Chokepear: I get that it's supposed to be an anti-caster tool, and I hate hate HATE to lean on the "realism" button in D&D, but I just can't see someone utilizing this with any degree of reliability. Trying to picture it being used in combat breaks my verisimilitude,
    If that's what does it for you, you came to the wrong game system! (I mean, how much opne can achive in a full round in 3.x is just stupid.)

and kind of grosses me out.
    That's fair, though, and I swear these are for the mouth only.

If you can reliably shove something into someone's mouth, AND activate the special trigger (that you don't accidentally activate when you're bludgeoning someone with it instead?), then it seems like I should just be able to make a called-shot to the jaw with my normal weapon that would have the same sort of effect.
    As with the estoc, I agree, but called shots are just not a thing in 3.5, and creating an exception is less work than changing the rule, you know?

I don't try to tie them up WHILE they are still stabbing back at me.
    Funny that you'd say that, seeing how this very system has official 1st party weapons (the net and the bolas) for basically just that!

Anywho I hope the criticism doesn't come across as overly harsh, I do like the creativity. It just needs to be balanced with ease-of-use and such.[/QUOTE]

6. - Top - End - #6

Another one I can't believe I didn't remember to do so far (which comes with a not even dubious historicity!):

Exotic Weapon Cost Damage (S) Damage (M) Critical Range Increment Weight Type
    Two-Handed Melee Weapon
    Forest bill 25 gp 1d6 2d4 ×3 18 lb. Slashing

Forest Bill: This massive pole weapon outfitted with a forward-curving blade is nearly 15 feet long. You can strike opponents 15 feet away with it, but you can't use it against foes closer than that. Due to the shape of the blade, you can also use it to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the guisarme to avoid being tripped.