New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers pt 3

The serving girls actively avoid Wighard. They flinch away when addressed and keep clear of his table entirely, and they're not subtle about - he frightens them. For all the maltreatment wizards received in the empire, here was a land where there were no formal institutions of sorcerers at all - just a mysterious league of blessed, magical women who rode out of the forest and spoke for the Lady in the land. The only experience Bretonnians at large had with male wizards were a mythically small handful of troublemakers that had no place in society at all, and those that came across the sea or the mountains with their foreign ways and strangeness. And that was without even factoring in Mousillon, which is a pit to rival the stories of Mordheim. Eventually, Wighard the White is forced to rise from the table and speak to the scrawny bartender, who is oblidged to give him attention on account of the money changing hands. He pries himself away from the orbit of Jasmine and Ezekiah Shortshin (who seem to be getting along just fine) to hear Wighard's question about the leech - even following him over to the table to look. But when they return, the creature is gone; only leaving a faint patina of mucus gleaming on the table leg from the creature's attempts to climb.

The bartender shrugs, and based on the description, gives an unhelpful guess: "Couldn't say. Probably something crawled out of the Grismerie, but I wouldn't touch."

Over at the bar, Shortshin adds to his previous commentary to the former riverwarden: "As far as those 'beads'... Well, I wouldn't buy local. You don't get that, uh.. necessary lustre from alloyed silver, and it's pretty rubbish around here. Not brightsmith in town as far as I know, but I'll see if I can't find someone with a crucible you could snatch up. Then all you need is a fistful of silver shillings, and a press, and you can cast your own jewelry." Given that the Nutcracker has a bullet handpress to match its barrel (and near enough to the group's pistols), it strikes her as doable.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Wighard thanks the man, leaves his server an outrageous tip just to see if they take it and lingers near Jasmine to give her the opportunity to introduce him whilst starting work on a bottle of porter

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Oh yeah, I heard the rumors about the kidnappings too. Dandycrust was still safe when we left town, but in these days, who can tell? Things went from bad to worse in L'Anguille and Dandycrust said he was gonna try and get out. Maybe even here, gods help him. If he turns up, or any halfling refugees from L'Anguille turn up here, tell em' that the offer ta settle down at Sault is still good."

Once Wighard sits down, she adds "Well, ifn' ya can find that crucible and have it dropped off at our quarters I'd consider it a great favor." She turns to Wighard and hands him the playbill.

Orien the Bulbous and his Hilarious Dancing Cat
    The Traditional Mousillon Comedy of Manc the Frogwife
    The Fallen Heaven Chorus

"Bruno and Bert might get a kick outta the Chorus and I'd like ta see the Dancin' cat. Our dwarf contact might show up afters, too, and I'd think we should try ta meet him here and offer him a drink or five."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Kick out of what chorus," Bruno said as he came back down after the interrogation. It had gone rather well and he wanted to let the others know what they had found out.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Dancin' girls. Mousillon's finest. Maybe some singin'. And afters we might find our dwarf contact."

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Wighard W 11/14 FP 4/5

Wighard bows at Shortshin and clicks heels. He doesn't raise the issue of the uniform, that's for Shortshin to bring up if he wishes but he is glad to see what looks like another Imperial.

Wighard Rauschenberg, Stabsarzt in his Imperial Majesty's Service, and at your service.

I apologise if I have unnerved your waitstaff, I guess I am disturbing even by Mousillon standards.

He stratches his left eyebrow

I won't say I am harmless but I mean them no harm.

He looks at Jasmine

This entertainment is here, or nearby?
    Last edited by wilphe; 2024-06-07 at 05:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: Jasmine: Where's the Entertainment?
    Show
    As for where the entertainment is, Jasmine having arrived early to scope the Fallen Heaven out, the answers are known to her. The lower floor and front of the building is this sprawling, packed drinking establishment and eatery - the best in a city of bad selections. But above the tavern (and behind it, overhanging the river some) is a great theatre and music hall where the shows take place.

And above that is a warren of small rooms that principally supply privacy for the Fallen Heaven's professionals, though no doubt a considerable amount of less primal transactions take place up there too.

Ezekiah Shortshin remains composed at Wighard's introduction (apart from visibly flinching at the click of heels - a parade ground gesture mistaken for a mystical one, suggesting despite his uniform he has not himself served).

"Ah... Ezekiah Shortshin. Proprietor and publican. You're a long way from his Imperial Majestic lands, master Rauschenberg. You stick out like a foot, at a sore thumb convention. They're every bit as superstitious here as elsewhere in the world, but I think it's the appearance as well as that... show of magical force earlier that has people wary. But trust me, a town like this? You're better to be feared than loved."

As the rest of the Company begins to assemble, and the likelihood they'll begin talking about their reasons to be in Mousillon - reasons Ezekiah is interested in hearing about only second hand, where it's safe - he excuses himself.

"I'll send over a plate of legs."

He gives the tabletop a knock, and gestures to the bartender to keep the table in refreshment, before getting a deniable distance from the troublemakers.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Once Shortshin leaves, Jasmine tells Bruno and Wighard, "There's a theater in the back. Word is the dwarf slayer comes in ta drink here most nights. I reckon he can lead us to the..." she pauses as the plate of frogs legs are delivered. Once the server is out of earshot she lowers her voice and says, "I reckon he can lead us to the vampire hunter. Once we meet him we can find out about our quarry and about our latest assailant."

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

And if he doesn't show up tomorrow we can see Lanfranco. Or we think that's a bad idea?

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"If'n ya got some wizardly way to find where he's lurkin' then we can go see him direct. But I don't want ta wander around town askin' people if they seen a guy who wants to keep quiet. That's a surefire way to get him ta go ta ground."

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

The more mobile and lucid of the survivors from earlier said he's holed up on the Damoiselle Vert at the docks

Finding him shouldn't be a problem, it's a question of whether we think his potential value as an ally is worth cold-calling a paranoid crime lord

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Oh yeah, the crime lord guy. Uh, let's call that 'Plan L' for last resort."

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'm up for a bit of theatre," Bruno said with a smile, "and with a dwarven slayer, there will certainly be theatre."
    He looked at Grimgoth.
    "Any particularities we have to know when dealing with these slayers," he asked, "I only have heard rumours and one of the things that they all say is that these slayers tend to be touchy and I'd rather not make a faux pas."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The frog legs are the size of chicken drumsticks, and they are amazing. There is a reason frogs and frog legs form Mousillon's greatest (legal) export - while everything else in this down seems to be on the rapid slide to rot and ruin, those who can convince themselves in the Bretonnian fashion that frogs are in fact for eating are delighted at how succulent and flavourful the little leaper's limbs are properly prepared. They come breaded with three sauces - one cheesy, one tangy, one mild and pleasantly sour. Bertelis assures the companions, in a moment of lucid emergency from his fugue, that the snails are also top notch - if you dare to try them. But the frogs are a strong cantidate for most pleasant part of your experience in Mousillon, running.

The theatre is a matter of taste. Or lack there of - as it turns out, theatre is something of a generous term.

You squeeze into the gallery that evening with the horde of variously inebriated, malformed locals. The Grismerie has innoculated your nostrils to bad smells, but you imagine the press of humanity would have bothered your olfactory senses a few days ago. Your company is afforded a modicum more space than most folk are - people keeping distance from Wighard, when they notice him. It's all standing room - but there's a couple of wooden boxes against the left wall which children and the infirm seem to use to elevate themselves to see the stage. Providing Jasmine and Gimgroth don't consider this insulting, the option is available to them as well.

Orien the Bulbous is a predictably fat man - though how he manages to be fat in such a town is a mystery. His legs and arms manage to be reedy and thin so he comes off as a kind of manic marionette himself capering across the stage with fiddle in hand. He has a small backup band that play through their crowdwarming ditties and lurid sailor songs. The dancing cat is a lazy looking black furred feline who is admirably inured to being in a room full of drunk reprobates howling and throwing things. It is missing its front paws, so it gets about by hopping up on its back legs and dashing about on the back legs like some sort of prissy, long tailed mongoose. A regular stream of projectiles come from the crowd trying to hit the cat, and some even succeed; but there's no knives or big rocks. It's mostly frog bones, but there's pennies and the occasional scrap of meat. The cat snatches up the latter as soon as they hit the stage. Orien rakes the former together with one foot while he plays, and scrapes them into a bucket at the end of each song.

The Traditional Mousillon Comedy of Manc the Frogwife turns out to be an ugly middle aged man dressed like an old woman, putting on a shrill old woman voice and telling jokes mostly in the form of stories from 'her' life. Manc the Frogwife seems to have had at least nine different husbands, all of which died in some lurid manner. The cornerstone of this routine is impressively filthy. Manc's average joke is the kind of tasteless raunch available in grimy taverns from one end of the world to the other. Manc's worst jokes are so eye-wateringly foul they'd make a Marienburg pimp's tongue shrivel in his mouth to recite. The locals, of course, think this is all hilarious, but they're getting roudy and impatient by the end of the set, and Manc knows to get out while the getting's good to make way for what they're all really here for.

The Fallen Heaven chorus is a line of ladies who emerge onto the stage at a spritely jog and arrange themselves in a line, hands on each other's shoulders, for their dance routine while Orien's band emerges again to play their music. Those Companions who have had reason to investigate similar houses of carnal exhibition may be as shocked as those new to the experience. In most of the world, a dancing girls routine attempts to feature a modicum of subtlety to enhance the performance. Here, they emerge completely naked except for a variety of different hats and veils, the central most trio wearing wimples recalling the headwear of the Lady's damsels. Thus, however lewd the performance, they are atleast observant of the Bretonnian custom of keeping a woman's hair covered.

Bertelis cracks before the line has even formed on stage, red faced and mortified, and begins beating a path back to the bar. He's not the only one. While this is the house's second-to-main attraction, it's also the best time for the dedicated alcoholics to receive the most attention from the barkeep, and so the handful of folk with no interest in naked, apparently non-deformed women and those with a primary interest in drinking in peace slink out to the bar together. This is the time Ezekiah suggested you might find your dwarf, and he was not wrong.

Visible now in the diminished occupation of the tavern is a dwarf, drinking a fresh flagon of stout alone on a stool at one side of the room. He has some of the look you've expected of a slayer - hair shaved but for the centre strip, and that spiked up with some kind of fat or wax; but the fan of upright hair is only a few inches tall. He has a stronger tan on his arms than his pale chest, and seems reasonably strong; though a perceptive glance can tell the hands are calloused out of proportion to the muscles of the arms - a craftsman, more than a warrior or labourer. A hand axe and smithing hammer hang from his belt, and a shard of baked clay on a rawhide thread around his neck. He has few tattoos, but Gimgroth would immediately recognize the one on his right forearm as the runes for Khazid Frukund.

This must be Kharmraz Sternhearth - kinslayer.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    What an excellent time for a charm roll for first impressions. Dwarves are clannish enough that Gimgroth's roll is the one that matters here. Factoring in loneliness, bearlessness, dwarfishness, reputation, and everything, I'll give Gimgroth a +30% on his charm test to make a positive impression on Kharmraz, if he intends to.

If he wants to make a negative impression, well.. He can do that for free.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Wighard W 11/14 FP 4/5

With the duties of a military doctor including the inspection, treatment and certification of "Girls of Joy" - especially in winter outside the campaign season - there isn't much about this that can phase Wighard; particularly as what he's seen has already more or less killed any desire to partake himself.

He gives a brief stare for professional reasons and then follows Bertelis back upstairs

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth
    Spoiler: Earlier Interrogation Bad Cop Scene
    Show

Bruno after taking his turn interrogating leaves the captive to Gimgroth. The dwarf silently walks up to the man cleaning the recently spilled blood off the head of his hammer. Once a mere foot or two from the man the dwarf sets his hammer down placing the head of it on the man's foot. The dwarf leans towards the man placing on of his feet on the head of the hammer such that he could control the amount of pressure squeezing the poor souls toes just by shifting his considerable weight.
    Tell me everything you can think of about Lanfranco and the Sang D'Argent. How would one go about arranging a meeting on neutral ground?

Gimgroth frowned as the crowds poured into the theatre. After tapping the fourth human who stood in front of him to make way he gave up any hope at actually seeing anything. He offered to have Jasmine stand on his shoulders for Orien and his cat's performance. When it came time for Manc's comedy Gimgroth laughed at what jokes he understood some of them were definitely seasoned with local slang and human references that went over his head. Gimgroth grew bored of the theatre and left before the dancing ladies came on stage. He laughed harder at the red faced Bertelis fleeing the theatre than at any of Manc's off-colour jokes. It was this outburst of laughter that bought him to the attention of Kharmraz Sternhearth the young slayer at the bar. Gimgroth noticed his tattoos declaring him of Karak Frukund. Gimgroth approached the slayer cautiously and offered a warm but not overly friendly grunt before adding Best beer I've had in awhile. This land is too full of wine. If I wanted grape juice I'd ask a toddler.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

DwarvishCharmVs42 - (1d100)[9]

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

From atop her perch on Gimgroth's shoulders, Jasmine is disappointed by the dancing cat. "I donno what I was expectin' but it weren't that," she tells him. She hucks an uneaten frog leg at the cat for it to feast on. She does not toss any coins. The comedy is more to her liking, and she laughs at the jokes and the stories. Even though it is told in badly accented Bretonnian, she is able to pick up the meanings of a lot of the slang terms from context and the detailed hand gestures made by the performer, and she files away the knowledge for academic purposes. However, as the crowd begins to press up against the stage in anticipation of the final act, she ends up being carried away by Gimgroth since he isn't able to put her down, and she follows him to the bar, not wanting to get caught up and trampled by the rowdy audience. She sits with him and responds, "Hey, we been feedin' the orphans a steady diet of wine and hard-tack and they're growin' like weeds. It's good fer the lads."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[32] v. 51 charm

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

Wighard knows he doesn't understand much of the nuances of Dwarven culture but knows that slayers are not to be taken lightly. So he will quietly guide Bertelis to another part of the bar and let the demi-humans sort this out.

He will also keep an eye out to see if the Becassine is in the crowd, or if any trouble is about to hit

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[31] Perception 111
    Last edited by wilphe; 2024-06-14 at 08:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: Earlier Interrogation with Gimgroth
    Show
    "Neutral ground? With his men getting pulled off the streets and turned against him? He has his back to the wall in the Damselle Vert, and nothing short of burning it down would get him out. And the Sang... We-... They used to run most of the enterprise in the docks. Less crazy than the others, like I said. But they might not be so now. We've been suffering..."

One thing seems likely - these exiled goons, having been dragooned into the service of a competing power, are of no use to you getting close to Lanfranco. Gang leaders who forgive treachery don't reign long.

Kharmaz looks surprised to see another dwarf; so surprised he takes an extra second to comprehend the content of the words. It's a heartbeat of pause Gimgroth is well familiar with. It's the same pause the beardless veteran experienced in himself when meeting other dwarves in his travels this last year, in which a surge of self conciousness about one's shame paralyzes the throat. But the slayer's shame is on display in his hair and garb, and Gimgroth's in his truncated beard; so both immediately have that in common, rather than hanging over them. And Jasmine's added presence as another obvious outsider thaws his initial hesitation further.

"Heh. Well, 'tis a drink for elves, children, and the desperately poor - and I'm only in danger if being the latter if I drink too fast."

The three hit it off well. Kharmaz comes off as a very lonely dwarf indeed, perhaps why he so regularly attends a public show he doesn't seem to enjoy; not at all the storied image of a slayer, a fearless weapon of Grimnir flung frothing and doom-filled into the jaws of evil. He's a craftsdwarf, who served his tenure as a middling warrior in the tunnels fighting the hated grobi and takes axe to hand when the horns of war blow in the Karak, but otherwise he was content to spend his life at the forge doing detail smithing on works of craftsdwarfship for thanes, and nobles, and greater warriors than he. To both Jasmine and Gimgroth, who have each faced terrible death on many occasions and proven their mettle, Kharmaz does not have the bearing of a frightful warrior born.

He is likely to be a very successful slayer indeed, given the profession's unusual objective.

"C'n you believe that poor bloody cat? Hardest worker up there, I think. Heh. But... What're you both doing here, in Mousillon?"

Over at the bar, Bertelis sits between Wighard and Bruno, goes through half a cup of wine very quickly, and begins to do some of the unravelling he is due to do since the encounter on the bridge.

"Do you think..."He speculates, in a low thoughtful voice as if contemplating his ability to change events, "...We could have gotten here sooner? If we had... gone overland, perhaps. Sailed down the Grismerie..."

This is foolishness - the time cut off the journey to Mousillon by the teleporting miracle of the Black Crypt, where Meloth made his sacrifice, is more than could have been made up going any other way. But the mind grasps, in such times.

"Gods, no. My brother... Mahieu might have been the best of us. I should have... I don't know..."

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno wasn't all that interested in the 'entertainment'. He kept near the back of the room and looked around for anything out of the ordinary, insofar as he could see such in this environment. When the entertainment was done and everybody headed to the bar, he did too, keeping a bit back and letting Gimgroth handle things for now and looking around to see who was interested in either the group or Gimgroth talking to the slayer.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception: (1d100)[53] vs 69

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Wighard isn't going to reason or argue with Bertelis, he's just going to listen and let him work it out, and if necessary stop him drinking too much too quickly
    Last edited by wilphe; 2024-06-15 at 11:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine just says, "We've had a heckuva journey to get here. Storms and revolutions and rat-men. Stirpike and skraelings. All ta get the knight to his new fief, ya know? We're gonna help him run it. But worst of all we ran into..." she puts two fingers downward in front of her mouth in an imitation of fangs. "Damn thing tried ta attack us in the middle of the day! I thought they had more sense than that. Ya know any way to a put a stop to those fang-boys?"

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    I mean, you guys did smash those Charm rolls. The guy's charmed.

Kharmaz looks around to make sure the group isn't being overheard, but the chorus is drawing most of the Fallen Heaven's activity right now, and those that aren't are too serious about their drinking to be overly concerned about anyone elses.

"Mousillon's riddled with 'em. I've helped in killing one of them - in that case, it was just a matter of landing the blows. They're fast and strong but they're flesh and blood. Mostly, I think. My... friend knows more than I do, on the matter. But if you don't want to get caught in a long war against those buggers, I suggest getting out of town quickly. If that's an option you have. But I've got to stay and... Well, I've got something to do."

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth grabs his mug and raises it to Kharmaz. "To the veins that must be mined, to the gold that need be refined. To the strength and will bent to the task, to the last drop of the flask."
    After his toast to this fellow shame bearing dwarf Gimgroth rubs the stubble on his chin subconsciously before continuing.
    "I bet few come to Mousilon without a dire task to complete. We have our own three or four things must be accomplished before we can leave this cursed place behind us. Perhaps we could be of mutual assistance to each other. I seek some relics that I've heard are located in the area. Jasmine here is as fine a halfling as you'll ever meet and a great shot with a rifle. Nearly shot the face of one of them fanged things that accosted us on the bridge. A shot worth a song to be sure. What task has fate thrown you to complete before you depart this place?

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

"I..."

He begins, pauses, but decides it feels good to talk about these things.

"My hammer - it's a family relic, and I performed a deed most wicked with it. I know what must be done to repay that deed - I've accepted it. But the tool itself has meaning, and it requires redemption too. I need to use it to smite down to death something as foul by nature as my deed was to honor - then it'll be redeemed to its purpose. Else all the works made with it will carry the stain of what I've done."

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"That's good advice," Jasmine says. "I wish we could take it. But the fang boy that attacked us... turns out it's his lordship's brother. Or... it was his lordship's brother. It's best to think of him as dead already. Legally speaking, he is already. If you think your friend can help with that we'd be eternally obliged to you if'n you could introduce us. As far as we're concerned we can't leave town until his brother is properly interred."

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The slayer begins to look nervous. Perhaps more awkward than nervous.

"My friend - ... Well, he's a little... unusual. Eccentric, you might say. Maybe we can group up tomorrow - I know we're looking for reliable help. But... Well, he's proven himself to me. That's the best guarantee I can give."

Meanwhile, over by the bar, Bertelis is working his way through the shallow waters of his grief between Wighard and Bruno...

Spoiler: Perception -20% (Visual) - Wighard
    Show
    The results of this test are for the successfully rolled perception from Wighard only. Snooping further may result in less fun and mystery for you.
    Spoiler: You've been warned.
    Show
    You see that little oddity again - just a flash of the slick little blue leech, just as it vanishes under the cuff of Bruno's right hand glove.

Spoiler: Perception -20% (Visual) - Bruno
    Show
    The results of this test are for the successfully rolled perception from Bruno only. Snooping further may result in less fun and mystery for you.
    Spoiler: You've been warned.
    Show
    You detect nothing out of the ordinary. It's possible that in Wilphe's post, Wighard is going to insist something is there for Bruno to see - but Bruno does not see it, no matter how plain the wizard says it is.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine looks over at where Wighard and Bertelis are. "I ain't no stranger to 'eccentric' so don't worry about that."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Wighard W 11/14 FP 4/5

Wighard instantly drops into serious medical mode, that tone of voice and expression that means you do what he says with no argument because he isn't messing about

BRUNO

Right glove

Off now

Fortunately they are in Mousillon, he expects leeches and has at least two ways of dealing with them to hand, left hand goes for salt, right hand goes for knife

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Wait, what," Bruno said, looking at this right glove, "there's nothing here. See. What did you see?"