New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fyraltari's Furiously Farcical Random Banter Thread #247

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Now, to be fair, if I could I would totally go to a Ren Faire dressed as the Doctor just to **** with other guests.
    Imean, like LaZodiac said, this is so common that you wouldn't be ****ing with anybody. Unless ypu mean "interact im character", in which case, it might be more fun to interact with the other Doctors.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #902
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Imean, like LaZodiac said, this is so common that you wouldn't be ****ing with anybody. Unless ypu mean "interact im character", in which case, it might be more fun to interact with the other Doctors.
    It'd be more "meta ****ing".

Anybody who notices would assume I'd be in character under the assumption that I time-traveled to the Renaissance but if someone comments I'd just be "No I'm just here for the fair"

If I'm even in character at all. "Maybe I just want to dress flamboyantly on my day out."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2023-11-28 at 12:54 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

It'd be more "meta ****ing".

Anybody who notices would assume I'd be in character under the assumption that I time-traveled to the Renaissance but if someone comments I'd just be "No I'm just here for the fair"
    There's multiple regenerations where that would totally be in character, while none have gone to a ren fair because those aren't a thing over here Four went to both the seaside and a holiday resort with the explicit intention of chilling out. Seven also enjoyed time at a cross stitch convention, but that was part of a (failed) scheme. I believe One, Two, Five, and Ten would also just go there to experience it.

Nah if you want meta****ery from a Whovian perspective dress in something that's nearly period accurate, find the Doctor cosplayers, and berate them for not blending in. Bonus points if you can pull off a floating in the air trick to fully reference that one Third Doctor story.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

I got sent the lineart for my book cover.

I am so ****ing stoked right now you have no idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    But it's still amusing when pretty much everybody ends up defined by The Things They Do Better Than The Monkeys.
    However that just ends up meaning that humans are the default and everyone is defined in relation with them. So once a again, Humans are the Center of the Universe.

I'd like to see a sci-fi story where humans also stand out from the rest of the galaxy. Not in a "we're so special way" but more like "every other intelligent species walk on four legs and being bipedal is our defining characteristic" way.

There's multiple regenerations where that would totally be in character
    Oh please, that's be in character for every single one of them. If there's one thing the Doctor loves more than hanging out with the local weirdos, it's getting to act smarter than everybody else, which they would do by pointing out all the anachronisms.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #906

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    However that just ends up meaning that humans are the default and everyone is defined in relation with them. So once a again, Humans are the Center of the Universe.

I'd like to see a sci-fi story where humans also stand out from the rest of the galaxy. Not in a "we're so special way" but more like "every other intelligent species walk on four legs and being bipedal is our defining characteristic" way.
    It has been observed several times that if you take the traits that make humans unique compared to other animals and subtract everything that would for certain not be unique to humans if there were other creatures with humanlike intellect and society that we'd probably be closer to the niche that orcs or Klingons or the like inhabit in our fiction than we would be to the standard default race niche.

And to be blunt: as a species, we're ****ing insane.

Like, a great deal of what we eat is poisonous to other animals either just in general or in the amounts we eat. Particularly spices.

A notable amount of what we consume is actually poisonous to us, is just within the range where we're willing to take that chance or mild enough that we can enjoy what it does to us.

Take the potato: The potato is in the same family as the deadly Nightshade. Wild potatoes are poisonous. Famred potatoes are fact still posionous, we just harvest them when they're not fully ripe yet and store in a specific way to keep the position negligible but if you were to eat more than one decent-sized green potato you would probably get sick.

The Incans found a poisonous plant and decided "That's too tasty to pass up" and bread it to just barely be within human tolerances for toxins if it's harvested and stored right and this little mad science experiment went on to be a staple ingredient on multiple continents.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=Fyraltari;25916567]However that just ends up meaning that humans are the default and everyone is defined in relation with them. So once a again, Humans are the Center of the Universe.

I'd like to see a sci-fi story where humans also stand out from the rest of the galaxy. Not in a "we're so special way" but more like "every other intelligent species walk on four legs and being bipedal is our defining characteristic" way.[/,QUOTE]

It's not sci-fi, but a fantasy setting I've had on the back burner for years has humans as the only species that domesticate. Presented as a tendency to see dangerous animals and immediately try to pet the fluffikins, but it's a key setting element that humans have these plants that provide more food without all that fancy elven tree singing, and like a dozen different animals serving them.

Elves will bond with wolves, humans invented dogs. The only reason this isn't scary is because orcs are a human subrace who ride to war on the back of massive pigs.

Oh please, that's be in character for every single one of them. If there's one thing the Doctor loves more than hanging out with the local weirdos, it's getting to act smarter than everybody else, which they would do by pointing out all the anachronisms.
    Yes, but some would never go near something so... American.

It has been observed several times that if you take the traits that make humans unique compared to other animals and subtract everything that would for certain not be unique to humans if there were other creatures with humanlike intellect and society that we'd probably be closer to the niche that orcs or Klingons or the like inhabit in our fiction than we would be to the standard default race niche.
    I've started having humans and orcs be explicitly related in my fantasy settings, it just makes more sense than linking either to elves.

Also IIRC we're technically persistence predators with surprisingly good throwing abilities, we're clearly an orc-hobbit mix.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #908

Also IIRC we're technically persistence predators with surprisingly good throwing abilities, we're clearly an orc-hobbit mix.
    Apex persistence/pack predators with absurd stamina even by those standards. We're also, honestly, surprisingly hard to kill under certain circumstances: Humans can recover from brain injuries equivalent to what would be fatal for a lot of animals, as one example.

Good depth perception and equilibrium make us very good at chucking things, and... Tool usage isn't unique to humans, but we are very good at finding or making tools specifically to kill something else.

Humans are bald terminator-apes that feel anxiety.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #909

It has been observed several times that if you take the traits that make humans unique compared to other animals and subtract everything that would for certain not be unique to humans if there were other creatures with humanlike intellect and society
    "if you remove the traits that make humans unique, except for the traits that make humans unique" is certainly.... something.

The people who do "observations" like this remind me of the observation "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-11-28 at 07:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #910

"if you remove the traits that make humans unique, except for the traits that make humans unique" is certainly.... something.
    That is not the correct reading.

"X, Y, and Z are unique to humans."

"If there were other beings that were as smart as humans and had societies, X would no longer be unique to humans."

"Therefore, in such a word, Y and Z are what are unique to humans and would logically be the major influence on their niche compared to civilized non-humans."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #911

That is not the correct reading.
    Nah, pretty sure its correct. Your reading leads to characterizing humans in tumblr-esque oversensationalizing
    like "the incas found a poisonous plant and thought 'that's too tasty to pass up!'", instead of "they probably observed animals eating them and copied the animals. And then used the traits unique to humans to do it more/better."

ETA: because i think that came off rougher than i meant, let me explain: that summation is great as a joke to explain wild potato origins, and introduce the weirdness of how a poisonous plant became a staple crop worldwide. It is horrible as a joke to explain anthropological or sociological tendancies in humans. We literally invented a new type of wheat designed to be so fast, easy, and bountiful to grow and harvest that it's estimated the creator saved billions of lives, because even in the technological age food sourcing is important, let alone Stone Age peoples finding ways to increase their food supply.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-11-28 at 09:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I got sent the lineart for my book cover.

I am so ****ing stoked right now you have no idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, that's super cool. I know the feeling of getting cool art, and especially cool cover art.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

13. - Top - End - #913

Completely random aside, I decided to do some art tonight!

Adelheid Frostwelt Schauer, an ice demon (in human form), commonly known as Miss Schauer by personal preference. I hope you enjoy looking at her with her eyes, I'm actually pretty proud of this one as far as my abilities go.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nah, pretty sure its correct. Your reading leads to characterizing humans in tumblr-esque oversensationalizing
    Forget per-se unique then. How about the merely idiosyncratic?

Humans are neither obligate carnivores nor obligate herbivores. Give birth to single young. Are mammals. Have four different types of photo receptors (including rod cells); most species have less, although some have up to four times as many. Have comparative;y poor hearing and sense of smell. Walk fully upright. Are the size they are. Are not nocturnal. Can breathe air. Cannot breathe water. Have bones as opposed to cartilage, or exoskeletons, or shells, or a series of fluu=id-filled cavities. Have mouths. Can eat chocolate. Can taste sugar. Have two eyes, both of which work the same way (contrast the pit viper, which has two normal eyes plus another independently evolved set of eyes that see infrared). Do not lay eggs. have four limbs. do not have tails. Live on land. Are not photosynthetic. Do not have cell walls. Are capable of forming pair bonds. Have newborns that can see immediately but cannot walk immediately. Require oxygen. Have taste receptior located in the mouth. Prefer temperatures somewhere around 70F.

None of these are intrinsic to sapience, nor are they traits inherent to all life - for all of them there are known organisms without these traits. and changing any of them would change the default shape of society to one extent or another

And that's without even getting into contrasts with the entire range of possible lifeforms and intelligemces that don;t have documented counterexamples such as Are not machines. Are not silicon based. Are adapted to a 1g gravity field. Require water. Require temperatures found on Earth. etc
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-11-29 at 02:49 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

15. - Top - End - #915
    Bugbear in the Playground

My new throne* has arrived. Hopefully this and the lower back exercises will help with my back pain problem. If not... well, I'm keeping this chair anyway. It has more customization options and the other one is getting kind of old-ish, but this had better help.

Also, turning up the heating a little seems to help. I guess that means I'm old now. The cold is hurting my old man bones.

*desk chair

16. - Top - End - #916

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Have bones as opposed to cartilage, or exoskeletons, or shells, or a series of fluu=id-filled cavities.
    Actually, I don't have bones. I'm supported by a system of fluid-filled bladders tha-

17. - Top - End - #917
    Troll in the Playground

My Karlech wig's arrived.

In true me fashion, I haven't opened the package yet because I'm terrified of dying it.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

okay so past few days I got with one HELL of a fever and after..... a few days of that fever putting me through the wringer- its gone leaving me only a state of congestion, which means still more recovery time. haven't even bothered trying to doing my roleplays or play XIV because I couldn't think clearly during the fever, much less do that. but my mind is clear and while I'm not 100% I can at least do things like those I'm sure.

also I've been reading the Abyssals Exalted 3e manuscript, from its preview in the kickstarter and its actually making me kinda like Abyssals more. like previously, maybe I'd play some regenade Dusk Caste or something, but now I'm like thinking of making a Daybreak Caste who works for Eye and Seven Despairs because he is basically been written to be this ghostly mad scientist Spark-like person who bounces between boredom and ennui and inspiration in his moods while basically being the Death Lord's arms dealer. like all the Deathlords have been given makeovers and reworks to be nuanced, more interesting and just generally high quality figures that can serve mostly antagonistically but for Abyssals specifically, Deathlords are good npcs for them because they could be enemies....or they could their one of their greatest allies. meanwhile the first charms preview is out and they're doing interesting stuff by mixing deathlord inspired charms with more general ones to give Abyssals their own identity so that they're not just Solars Again.

other than that not much, been watching light, easy to follow streams and such to pass the time. did you know there are doctor who fan films? the ones I've seen are good, given the low budget.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

okay so past few days I got with one HELL of a fever and after..... a few days of that fever putting me through the wringer- its gone leaving me only a state of congestion, which means still more recovery time. haven't even bothered trying to doing my roleplays or play XIV because I couldn't think clearly during the fever, much less do that. but my mind is clear and while I'm not 100% I can at least do things like those I'm sure.

also I've been reading the Abyssals Exalted 3e manuscript, from its preview in the kickstarter and its actually making me kinda like Abyssals more. like previously, maybe I'd play some regenade Dusk Caste or something, but now I'm like thinking of making a Daybreak Caste who works for Eye and Seven Despairs because he is basically been written to be this ghostly mad scientist Spark-like person who bounces between boredom and ennui and inspiration in his moods while basically being the Death Lord's arms dealer. like all the Deathlords have been given makeovers and reworks to be nuanced, more interesting and just generally high quality figures that can serve mostly antagonistically but for Abyssals specifically, Deathlords are good npcs for them because they could be enemies....or they could their one of their greatest allies. meanwhile the first charms preview is out and they're doing interesting stuff by mixing deathlord inspired charms with more general ones to give Abyssals their own identity so that they're not just Solars Again.

other than that not much, been watching light, easy to follow streams and such to pass the time. did you know there are doctor who fan films? the ones I've seen are good, given the low budget.
    I like all of the Deathlord write-ups except the Lover Clad in Raiment of Tears (and even hers isn't outright bad, just kinda bland). E7D is basically undead Rick.

Also there are at least two charms that friends of mine have described as the 'hot singles in my area' charms in the first third of the charm section alone (Piercing Gaze of the Unmaker and Shade Summoning Conscription specifically*) and now I want to try and build that character. Not necessarily to play them but just because that description is hilarious to me.

*Gaze lets you spy on someone from afar, or up to 10 people who fit a description**. Conscription lets you summon people to join your organization, again by description if you so choose. Technically 'hot singles in my area' qualifies.

**"Lessee, looking for... single woman, between 20 and 30... blonde... reasonably fit... intelligent... oh, and will not instantly flee in terror from me if she doesn't know I'm a deathknight"
    >goes blind
    "**** you, Neverborn"

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #920

*on Abyssals*

I want to play an Abyssal who exalted as a child and acts incredibly perky while also saying morbid/****ed up ****.

She's on of the "good guys" as far as Creation has them, I've seen some people talking about how they've given Abyssals an "act of Villainy" equivalent to manage the side effects of Abyssal Limit, she's just...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

*on Abyssals*

I want to play an Abyssal who exalted as a child and acts incredibly perky while also saying morbid/****ed up ****.

She's on of the "good guys" as far as Creation has them, I've seen some people talking about how they've given Abyssals an "act of Villainy" equivalent to manage the side effects of Abyssal Limit, she's just...
    All that's really required for an Abyssal to Exalt is that they die (or rather would die if not for the Exaltation showing up at that moment) and that they could potentially Exalt as a Solar under better circumstances. So yeah, totally possible.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

*on Abyssals*

ah yes. in 3e, Abyssal Limit is very interesting this edition and has a few things to consider. instead of a Limit Break at 10, you suffer bleak Expiation at 10, but you can call for one Expiation once per session but the so can the ST. the exact effects can be as harmless and spooky halloween stuff like chilling stuff around you or go all the way up things like natural disasters to the Neverborn imposing a temporary intimacy upon you. now alleviating that is not just some ability to let it out early; these expiations are randomly rolled but more dice generally means more can possibly go wrong.

the interesting about it is that there is something called the Chivalry of Death which is very important for reasons as it could potentially mean you not gaining limit at all. its these weird tenets compiled by the deathlords from the Neverborn's incoherent screaming about how they think the Neverborn want them to go about destroying Creation, they're not really sure. the tenets are thus:
    Better long torment than a quick death. It is not enough simply to kill the living they must be made
    to despair, to abandon their hopes and ideals, to become complicit in horrors themselves, before they are
    slain. Deaths born out of the culmination of such degradations please the Neverborn far more than a
    hundred lesser slaughters.

The mighty must fall before the weak. Death visited upon the vulnerable and defenseless is a paltry
    offering to the Neverborn. Better to break the champions of the living those who are looked to for
    hope, protection, and guidance before turning to those under their guardianship.

Let life be drowned in death. If the worlds of the living and the dead are as one, the Neverborn might
    imagine themselves free of their eternal death. When shadowlands open the boundaries between Creation
    and the Underworld, when necromancy taints the Essence of the world, when the living walk alongside
    the dead these things offer the slain ancients a transient solace.
    in other words.....
    1-if your gonna be evil? don't be cheap. crush their hopes and dreams, corrupt them to become evil themselves and so on, all the hardcore evil overlord stuff, make sure you have Prrrresentation!
    2-don't be a murderhobo or a coward. you want to go around killing people, you do it proper and fight the strongest first to make them see there is no hope resisting you, going around slaughtering random villagers is for losers
    3-cover the lands in darkness, do necromantic stuff and the Neverborn feel a little at peace. basically, you have theme, stick to it.

basically it gives both the deathlords and Abyssals reasons to act like supervillains in universe, but not cartoony zany fun kind(well maybe not always, Eye exists), I mean the serious heavy weighty kind. it gives reason why they target the Exalted first, why they must insist upon not just killing people but driving them to despair and such. its important because following this chivalry can lead to losing limit or stop her from gaining limit. for example, if an Abyssal saves someone but does in the name of death's chivalry they will not incur the limit they would've. how to interpret this code of chivalry to properly play an anti-heroic wandering dusk caste renegade or whatever will probably be subject to discussion for years to come, but killing tyrants and unjust people in power is generally accepted as a valid interpretation of fulfilling the second tenet.

most interesting is that of all the things that they kept the possibility of Abyssals redeeming into Solars in (just unmechanified it and made more story-ST thing) but give you options to be good- or as good as the new Abyssals can be- without becoming Solar. as for good guys.....bit more complex. the Neverborn while still there and basically near-nonentities. they almost don't do anything themselves. the Deathlords are treated as the patrons of the Abyssals now. but the Deathlords are not all in destroying Creation. like, half of them just want to conquer stuff and those that are committed are doing it slowly- and even then, of all the Deathlords only The Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears is fully committed to the Neverborn. it was kinda funny reading that Bishop actually fears what will happen when he actually succeeds because deep down he fears death or that Walker in Darkness loves his pleasures and urges his deathknights to enjoy existence but feels he sins against the Neverborn because of it.

so yeah, if you want play an Abyssal Rater, it'd definitely be interesting. I'm personally just idly making a daybreak caste myself called The Whisper of World Shaking Truths. not sure where to go with her yet.

23. - Top - End - #923

So this week in comics: Yet another comic saying that being a mutant changes absolutely nothing about Ms. Marvel as a character and a comic that retcons Nightcrawler into being the son of Mystique and Destiny with Mystique being the father as was originally intended in the eighties but wasn't allowed to be depicted as such.

Also some silly little storyline about a Gang War that realistically would have gotten nipped in the bud as soon as a real supervillain noticed the signs of the gang leaders getting uppity but who cares about that?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #924

Riddle time, why not!

Three people are on a road trip. They stop in a motel for the night and decide to split a room. Clerk tells them the room is $30. Each person pays $10. The people go to the room and the clerk realizes a mistake, the room is only $25 tonight. Clerk takes five bucks to give back. On the way to the eoom, the clerk realizes five dollars between three people would bit wonky. The clerk is slightly unscrupulous, and pockets two dollars. The clerk tells the people the room was slightly cheaper, and gives each person one dollar back.

Each person has now paid $9. $9 3 = $27. The clerk pocketed $2. $27 + $2 = $29.

Where's the missing dollar?

Googling it is for cowards, and feel free to put your answer in spoilers. I will answer questions if anyone has any. Feel free to put solutions in spoiler tags.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Riddle time, why not!

Three people are on a road trip. They stop in a motel for the night and decide to split a room. Clerk tells them the room is $30. Each person pays $10. The people go to the room and the clerk realizes a mistake, the room is only $25 tonight. Clerk takes five bucks to give back. On the way to the room, the clerk realizes five dollars between three people would bit wonky. The clerk is slightly unscrupulous, and pockets two dollars. The clerk tells the people the room was slightly cheaper, and gives each person one dollar back.

Googling it is for cowards, and feel free to put your answer in spoilers. I will answer questions if anyone has any. Feel free to put solutions in spoiler tags.
    Spoiler: answer, I hope?
    Show
    30 bucks went into the register, 5 came out. so 25 in the register, 2 in the clerk's pocket, 3 in the customer's pockets - all came out to thirty.

In other words - each person paid 9$, totalling out to 27 - 25 for the room, and 2 for the clerk to steel.

There is no "missing dollar", you're just adding stuff from different sides of the equation. the 2$ in the clerk's pocket is already included in the 27$ out of the customer's pockets.

On another topic entirely, I have a new roommate that's been living with me for a month. She's not been super friendly or open so far, which is fine by me since things take time. Today we met for the first time in nearly a week since I've been either out of town or very busy - and she never said more than "hello, you good?" and didn't take out her earphones or pause the video she was watching, which made me feel really bad. I've made it clear when looking for a new roomie that while I obviously respect everyone's need for personal space and privacy, I'm looking for someone who wants to make a home together, not to feel like we just happen to rent rooms in the same house.

I'm not sure how I want to approach this. Any advice?
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Riddle time, why not!

Three people are on a road trip. They stop in a motel for the night and decide to split a room. Clerk tells them the room is $30. Each person pays $10. The people go to the room and the clerk realizes a mistake, the room is only $25 tonight. Clerk takes five bucks to give back. On the way to the eoom, the clerk realizes five dollars between three people would bit wonky. The clerk is slightly unscrupulous, and pockets two dollars. The clerk tells the people the room was slightly cheaper, and gives each person one dollar back.

Spoiler: my answer
    Show
    hm.... hm....wait....

to pocket two dollars would be to subtract one of the 10's down to an seven, not a nine. wouldn't it? your not talking about 30 dollars total, your talking about three payments of ten dollars which means one of the people lost three dollars but getting one back, while the others would just be losing a dollar but getting one back. thats where the missing dollar went, because one of the people is getting more screwed over by this than others, even if they don't know it

27. - Top - End - #927

Riddle time, why not!

Spoiler
    Show
    The math feels intentionally confusing/misleading, because the clerk is coming to their room with five dollars (presumably in coins since he can split them) and has the thought mid walk that he could do a small bit of theft in order to make this room of three people not have their OWN math puzzle to go through, so there clearly wouldn't be one more dollar for him to pocket. Ultimately the "missing dollar" is just in the till- whether it stays there or not is up to the clerk to decide. He should keep it in since the additional instance of the register opening and the missing dollar from the intended cost of 25 dollars being missing will look suspect.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

with Mystique being the father
    Okay, I'm going be be annoying, but what's Mystique's gender identity? Because if she is female, which has generally been my understanding, than she is Nightcrawler's mother.

Like I know what you mean but... Please don't phrase it that way.

Riddle time, why not!

The clerk dropped it between the eoom and the room

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh God, I hate these riddles. I had an explanation all to do with order of operations, and I think you can actually work it out that way, but the answer is simple: your equation is wrong.

Each person payed ten dollars, and got one returned. 30-3x1-9x3=0. The pocketed $2 is PART OF THE $27, and the equation should include the refund and not the appropriated cash.

Show

29. - Top - End - #929

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Spoiler: answer, I hope?
    Show
    30 bucks went into the register, 5 came out. so 25 in the register, 2 in the clerk's pocket, 3 in the customer's pockets - all came out to thirty.

In other words - each person paid 9$, totalling out to 27 - 25 for the room, and 2 for the clerk to steel.

There is no "missing dollar", you're just adding stuff from different sides of the equation. the 2$ in the clerk's pocket is already included in the 27$ out of the customer's pockets.
    Bang on the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The math feels intentionally confusing/misleading, because the clerk is coming to their room with five dollars (presumably in coins since he can split them) and has the thought mid walk that he could do a small bit of theft in order to make this room of three people not have their OWN math puzzle to go through, so there clearly wouldn't be one more dollar for him to pocket. Ultimately the "missing dollar" is just in the till- whether it stays there or not is up to the clerk to decide. He should keep it in since the additional instance of the register opening and the missing dollar from the intended cost of 25 dollars being missing will look suspect.
    Spoiler: That answer was a little.... loonie.
    Show
    SEE WHAT I DID THERE!

Anyway, you're pretty much correct. If you want more clarity, what i did with the math at the end was doing the order of operations wrong. Note how it's all just addition and subtraction, and the second i introduce multiplication it stops working out.

Spoiler: my answer
    Show
    hm.... hm....wait....

to pocket two dollars would be to subtract one of the 10's down to an seven, not a nine. wouldn't it? your not talking about 30 dollars total, your talking about three payments of ten dollars which means one of the people lost three dollars but getting one back, while the others would just be losing a dollar but getting one back. thats where the missing dollar went, because one of the people is getting more screwed over by this than others, even if they don't know it
    Try again!
    Spoiler: Hint to your specific answer
    Show
    Nobody is getting more screwed than anyone else. All three lodgers are getting equally robbed of their extra 2/3 dollar. Each paid ten, each got one back. Perfectly even. No trickery there.

The clerk dropped it between the eoom and the room

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh God, I hate these riddles. I had an explanation all to do with order of operations, and I think you can actually work it out that way, but the answer is simple: your equation is wrong.

Each person payed ten dollars, and got one returned. 30-3x1-9x3=0. The pocketed $2 is PART OF THE $27, and the equation should include the refund and not the appropriated cash.
    Most perfect answer, yes.

Btw, if it makes anyone feel better, i randomly remembered this riddle the other day, hadn't thought of it in years and years. Asked a PA at my office. She got a lot of her staff trying to help her. Nobody could but a few hours later she finally worked it out herself.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-11-29 at 07:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #930

Btw, if it makes anyone feel better, i randomly remembered this riddle the other day, hadn't thought of it in years and years. Asked a PA at my office. She got a lot of her staff trying to help her. Nobody could but a few hours later she finally worked it out herself.
    On the one hand "everyone has different skills I shouldn't poke fun" but on the other hand y'all are supposed to be smarter than someone who never went to university before.