New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Hilarious things you've found in RAW2: Meme Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    1. There are certain ways to avoid SR - like Su SA, or Ravenloft devices. In that case, Golem's Immunity to Magic wouldn't work
    2. There are certain ways to remove SR - such as Stone Golem and Stone to Flesh
    Golems don't have Spell Resistance - they have the Immunity To Magic special ability in place of Spell Resistance. Though yes, a Supernatural ability will have full effect on a 3.5 MM golem, as will a spell with SR- No, and a spell the golem is specifically affected by, ignores the Immunity To Magic special quality as well. Stone To Flesh removes a stone golems Immunity To Magic special property, but only for 1 round.

Epic Golems, at least, retain the old 3.0-style "immunity that works on all magical effects, including supernatural abilities and spells with "SR - No"" in 3.5.

The tradeoff for the Epic Golem owner is that while, say, a dragon breath won't harm the golem, the caster can't repair the golem with magic, either. A Repair Critical Damage spell will work on an iron golem, but it won't work on a Mithril golem or an Adamantine Golem.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2023-12-19 at 08:54 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Complete Arcane declares that spells requiring attack rolls function like weapons, so you can take feats like weapon focus for them.

The only problem is that weapon focus requires weapon proficiency, and there's no such thing as being proficient in a spell, so no character can actually qualify for this use of the feat.

And if you say there is such a thing a proficiency in spells... no class or feat grants it, so all spell attack rolls are made at -4.
    I think the theory here is that the prerequisite is the chosen weapon. As grapple and Rays aren't specifically weapons, when you select them you aren't selecting weapons and so aren't required to have proficiency.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: Hilarious things you've found in RAW2: Meme Heaven

I still keep having a laugh any time I flip through the Expanded Pionics Handbook and see the power deja vu on page 91.

...and on page 92.
    Last edited by Yora; 2023-12-28 at 05:54 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RSGA View Post
    I double checked the first four chapters up to the point of listing out the soulmelds. The feats (and other incarnum receptacles) are only RAW called out to be like soulmelds for one purpose, and that is for putting essentia in them like soulmelds. Also with the exception of the feats taking it up for the whole day. The only incarnum feats that are RAW supernatural are the ones that are also Psionic feats, because that's part of the description of Psionic feats. The bit on Soulmeld-Magic transperancy only calls out soulmelds as losing their benefits not any other receptacles. Not that it matters too often for the magic item receptacles.

And of course the monster writeups and PRCs don't give any consensus.
    The very introduction of the book is making it quite clear that EVERY incarnum effect is magical in nature, not just soulmelds (emphasis mine):

Quote Originally Posted by Magic of Incarnum
    Incarnum is an amorphous magical substance made up of the soul energies of all sentient creatures—living, dead, and, it is theorized, those even not yet born.

In its pure form, incarnum resembles a radiant mist, deep blue in color. Those trained or gifted in manipulating incarnum can shape it into physical objects (called soulmelds) or simply use it to imbue themselves with power.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2023-12-29 at 04:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I still keep having a laugh any time I flip through the Expanded Pionics Handbook and see the power deja vu on page 91.

...and on page 92.
    Is that... Is that intentional?
    I want to believe that was intentional. Because it's perfect.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

It's the only duplicate spell, power, or feat I've ever seen in any of the books.
    They did not make such mistakes.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's the only duplicate spell, power, or feat I've ever seen in any of the books.
    They did not make such mistakes.
    They have made the opposite mistake, though! One example I'm aware of is that Complete Arcane doesn't print the Sudden Enlarge feat. The warmage class feature still refers to the chapter it should've been in, though.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Now I am wondering if there are any feats or spells that got added to the desxriptions, but were missed in the lists at the start of the chapter, and nobody ever noticed to this day.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

The Fifth Edition PHB had a spell that got its name changed between the class lists at the beginning of the spells section and the description of the spell itself. That one was especially annoying, because in 5th edition, the spell descriptions didn't tell you what classes could cast it: That information was only in the lists.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Now I am wondering if there are any feats or spells that got added to the desxriptions, but were missed in the lists at the start of the chapter, and nobody ever noticed to this day.
    One of the most disappointing differences between a table and description I've seen is the Swift Mind Strike feat in Complete Psionics. The table says that you can give yourself a -2 attack penalty to imbue your mind blade with psychic strike as a swift action. When you go to actually read the feat it got rid of the penalty entirely to let you swift action imbue only once per day.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Searing Seed spell, while horrible on its own, is hilarious in the way it can be applied to Outsiders - thus, you can use it to produce Half-Fiend Creature, then - Half-Fiend Half-Fiend ... , Half-Fiend Half-Fiend Half-Fiend ... , and so on...
    (Sure, technically, it's just one more NI loop -but isn't it hilarious?)