New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing: 9 Years since the Last Dragon Age

I'm into September in P3R now. So I've got Ken and Shinji. Ken, like Koromaru, is now more about Light thanks to the addition of the Kouha spell line, but retains at least one lightning spell, Zionga. Shinji now has a unique version of Charge, "Bloody Charge," which costs health instead of SP (a lot of health: 40% of his max) but ups his crit rate as well as power for the next attack. And their Theurgy charging conditions are mirrors of each other: Ken gains a boost to his when his SP drops below half, while Shinji does when his HP drops below half. Obviously Shinji got the better deal there, as it's far easier to trigger his repeatedly. Both just have standard big-damage single-target Theurgy attacks, with Ken's being Light and Shinji's being Strike.

Also, they seem to have added multiple scenes centered in Strega (Takaya, mostly) that I don't think were in the game before? It's been a while since I last replayed it, but I definitely don't recall
    Spoiler
    Show
    an incident where Minato encounters Takaya fighting an Abbadon on the bridge, or where Takaya shows up while you're walking Koromaru one night and gets into a discussion with you about why you want to end the Dark Hour,

to name two. Good either way, nice to see Strega get fleshed out a bit more.

Oh, and being after summer break now, Reload's version of Changing Seasons has kicked in, and suddenly I have a new favorite P3 town theme. (Well, school theme since it cuts out when you leave school, but you know what I mean.)
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ii just finished the Palace of Ice DLC in Solasta and it's kind of interesting how:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The better ending is you sacrificing the soul of the speaker to get back with all your party. Not many games reward self-preservation like that and I appreciate it. At the very least it's not a bad outcome.

I appreciate a lot of the world-building in the game and presents a lot of cool ideas. Humans not being a native species to the world instead of being seen as the "default" race, I like the tiefling lore of them being decendants of a human king who traded his soul to a devil to protect them from Sor Akkath. The Sorraks as a threat chasing down humanity. The idea that even the gods aren't native to the world is interesting, but I wish they did more with it.

I am going to take a break before I go for the ironman mode achievements, but I really recommend this game. reminds me of the 2003 Temple of Elemental Evil game in a really good way.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Dominions 6 has been out for a couple weeks now. It's a war game where you script your battles ahead of time and then your mages do their best to frustrate you instead of winning the fight. You can cover a giant in magic items so he can kill a whole army, send a firestorm to destroy enemies several provinces away, or cast a spell to make forests whisper hymns to your pretender. See, the big boss left and now everyone nation wants to gather worship, claims sites of power, and ascend to become Pantokrator. So your pretender can be a wizard, a huge snake, Zeus, a fountain of blood, etc.

There are hundreds of spells, thousands of units, the asynchronous multi-player makes it easy to play with a weird or limited schedule, and you can have Odin fight Zeus.

The UI is not great, the graphics are 2 sprites per unit, and figuring out what to do or what works well can be tough. But if you liked other games in the series, or like a deep game that is sometimes obtuse, you should give it a shot.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

I reached October 4th in Persona 3 Reload.

They did that scene better than ever before. And it can still move me to tears.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

I got into the closed alpha for Vermintide 2's Versus Mode! ...Only 4 years after the Versus Mode trailer! It's a closed alpha, so the fact that it works at all is good enough for now, but I hope they add a lot more to it as they go. All we can use right now are the Skaven specials, so it feels too much like Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead only held my interest for a month while Vermintide 2 has kept me coming back for five years, so I'm pretty confident the final version of Vs Mode will be pretty awesome... I just hope it will have some form of progression for your Pactsworn play.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

6. - Top - End - #876
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Dominions 6 has been out for a couple weeks now.
    I, too, am playing Dominions 6. Still in my first game (single player as MA Man - traditionally one of the more boring factions). I'm currently trying to work out how to get underwater to finish off Ys - I don't have enough in the way of Water or Air paths (Man has some small water paths in the witches, and I have a rainbow pretender, but not much else) to build the magic items I need for my air greatness to go underwater. So I've been trying to find the magic items that will let me bootstrap those paths up.

Otherwise, I might push up Conjuration to summon one of the Faerie Queens - I think I remember them having Air or Water paths in Dom3?

Alternatively, I have three of the four Thrones, and the fourth isn't that far from my borders. I might just try to punch through the other two AIs (Atlantis and Shinuuyama) and grab it.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Dominions 6 has been out for a couple weeks now. It's a war game where you script your battles ahead of time and then your mages do their best to frustrate you instead of winning the fight. You can cover a giant in magic items so he can kill a whole army, send a firestorm to destroy enemies several provinces away, or cast a spell to make forests whisper hymns to your pretender. See, the big boss left and now everyone nation wants to gather worship, claims sites of power, and ascend to become Pantokrator. So your pretender can be a wizard, a huge snake, Zeus, a fountain of blood, etc.

There are hundreds of spells, thousands of units, the asynchronous multi-player makes it easy to play with a weird or limited schedule, and you can have Odin fight Zeus.

The UI is not great, the graphics are 2 sprites per unit, and figuring out what to do or what works well can be tough. But if you liked other games in the series, or like a deep game that is sometimes obtuse, you should give it a shot.
    Yeah, I've also been spending some time with it. I hadn't actually played the series since Dom 3, so I've been having to (re-)learn a lot, but it's been fun. Y'know, if you're the sort of person who finds 'agressively indie, ridiculously involved games with wonky UI' fun. Which it turns out I am.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2024-02-11 at 04:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #878

I've started on Slay the Princess. Part of the reason I picked it up is the guy that voices The Narrator also narrates large chunks of The Magnus Archives. I'm not very far in, but it does feel fresh and interesting and likely confusing. It's says it's a love story, so perhaps it's about abusive relationships considering the controlling demeanor of The Narrator? Or relationships and relationships problem in general considering the strange interaction between us, The Princess and various aspects of ourselves? Anyway, I'm not very far in yet and it feels like there's more to it than just that.

... I feel bad about mindlessly slaying the princess the first time around. Well, I'm gonna just have to live with that. There are no perfect routes. Only choices and consequences. Down the rabbit hole I go.

Spoiler: Game goal/endgame hypothesis
    Show
    So I've met the entity between worlds now. Twice. The first time it tried to fill me (I didn't let it) and the second time it took the Princess as its vessel. It pretty much spelled out what it wants me to do: collect various voices/aspects of a person and bring them to it so that it can complete itself/the Princess. So, I'm thinking there are 2 goals here: To complete the Princess and then myself by collecting various voices and then bringing the Princess and them myself to it. Each iteration seems to consist of 2 loops: the first loop is there to retrieve a voice (I've discovered Smitten and Cold so far, in both cases the Princess also took on their aspects) and the second is there to bring the Princess (save her) or myself (slay her). In doing so I complete both the Princess and myself as a person.
    Last edited by Form; 2024-02-11 at 03:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

confused Re: What Are You Playing: 9 Years since the Last Dragon Age

Returned to Kingdom of Camelot: Ascension in Facebook. Yeah, I know.

"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant."
    "Yeah, a lot of that early stuff doesn't hold up"
    "Yeah, Yeah. You're a very clever boy."
    "…My reasons are my own."

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

how much did it change from dom 5?

I never did get dom 5, because I mostly played in the dom 3 era, and while I got dom 4, I didn't play it nearly as much, because the dom games all build off each other so they aren't quite as distinct as some other series. I know dom 5 made significant change to the combat engine being less turn-based and more simultaneous sand movementy. So I'm mostly interested in hearing what changed from 5->6 in terms of the new features n such.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Baldur's Gate 3 gave me a 2000s CRPG itch that never quite went away, and I lost about six Tartarus floors to Sexy Dance charming my entire party, so I went back to Knights of the Old Republic.

Honestly it might be better than BG3. It's got a lot more loading and the world is a lot less interactable, but that lends it simplicity and focus. The way classes are laid out also helps and I'm seriously considering restarting as a Scout instead of a Soldier to ensure I have some of their skills at all times.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    [...]I lost about six Tartarus floors to Sexy Dance charming my entire party,[...]
    In Reload? How'd you do that? The one time that I died in Reload, it gave me the option to continue playing from the start of the fight again. And it wasn't a major boss fight either, just one of the Monad door shadows that got some crits on my MC, so I've been assuming that was just a standard option now.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Baldur's Gate 3 gave me a 2000s CRPG itch that never quite went away, and I lost about six Tartarus floors to Sexy Dance charming my entire party, so I went back to Knights of the Old Republic.

Honestly it might be better than BG3. It's got a lot more loading and the world is a lot less interactable, but that lends it simplicity and focus. The way classes are laid out also helps and I'm seriously considering restarting as a Scout instead of a Soldier to ensure I have some of their skills at all times.
    I'm playing that, but my savegames don't work, except the autosaves, and I've just got to the bit with the Sith fighters attacking the Ebon Hawk, which is abominable and difficult, then you go back to the intro to Davik Kang, Grrr.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #884

RedKnightGirl

I've been meaning to finally sit down and power through KOTOR, but I've honestly had a difficult time with it. Combat is functional but unengaging and actually moving through the world can get pretty tedious. I burned out after Dantooine the first time.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

KotoR 1 is NWN 1 in space, regarding gameplay and controlls. Once I understood that I was fine with it.
    In addition KotoR 1 feels like a weird proto-Mass Effect. The games are distinct enough, but the KotoR DNA is quite strong in Mass Effect, beyond the usual Bioware RPG DNA.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been playing a ton of Palworld of late. I know the meme is "pokemon with guns" but it's really more of a weird hybrid mish-mash of games:

ARK's base-building, tech progression and leveling up
    Breath of the Wild's overworld traversal
    Rimworld-esque production via specialized pawns
    Pokemon Arceus-esque monster catching
    Gun because gun.

It's fun with a good gameplay loop:
    -You build your base and put a Pal to work doing simple labour.
    -To put more Pals to work you need to level up your base by having certain machines/facilities built.
    -You need to level up to learn that tech.
    -Best way to level up is to catch a ton of Pals. more pals means a bigger pool of specialized labour force.
    -Now that you have a bigger pool of Pals to work with, you want to expand what you can do in your base...

For an early access game that's like 40$Can, there is a ton of content. Endgame is struggling a bit: once you have beaten the tower bosses, completed the Paldeck and captured the legendaries, there's not much else but making a more efficient base or just breeding the better Foxspark.

Haven't had this much fun exploring though. There's always an overworld boss or an instanced one or a dungeon somewhere at every bend to beat or conquor. At night if you fly high you can see the green glow of the many, many Fast Travel points or the Lifmunk statues (these are traded in to upgrade your base catch rate) dotted everywhere pointing to an area of potential interest or to go to.

I've spent more on worse, and if PocketPair makes good on their plan to expand the game's content, I'm sold.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    how much did it change from dom 5?

I never did get dom 5, because I mostly played in the dom 3 era, and while I got dom 4, I didn't play it nearly as much, because the dom games all build off each other so they aren't quite as distinct as some other series. I know dom 5 made significant change to the combat engine being less turn-based and more simultaneous sand movementy. So I'm mostly interested in hearing what changed from 5->6 in terms of the new features n such.
    Blesses are very different, they added a new school of magic (glamor), and evocations are... maybe better? Hard to say, meta on that is still developing. Also construction items all moved up one research level, there is an option to make level 9 spells research individually, UI changes.

Bless points all go in the same pool, you get X-1 bless points for having a path at X. And you unlock blesses with a specific path, like Righteous Wrath is Fire 4 (new bless that buffs sacreds when a sacred dies). So you could take a F4W4S4 arch mage, get 9 bless points, and take Righteous Wrath (4) and +1 att twice (2 each) and finish with snow move (1). We are still figuring out the meta but the Glamor 1 bless that gives +50% XP and can be stacked seems good on good sacreds. Any stackable bless can be taken up to five times.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    In Reload? How'd you do that? The one time that I died in Reload, it gave me the option to continue playing from the start of the fight again. And it wasn't a major boss fight either, just one of the Monad door shadows that got some crits on my MC, so I've been assuming that was just a standard option now.
    Yep, only options were to restart from my last save (and lose everything since before the last guardian) or the entrance (and lose potentially thirty floors). I'd have accepted restarting the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I'm playing that, but my savegames don't work, except the autosaves, and I've just got to the bit with the Sith fighters attacking the Ebon Hawk, which is abominable and difficult, then you go back to the intro to Davik Kang, Grrr.
    Ouch, yeah. Thankfully manual saves are working for me, I'll only lose time if I decide to switch class. I think I've also put in a mod that removes every other instance of that damn minigame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    KotoR 1 is NWN 1 in space, regarding gameplay and controlls. Once I understood that I was fine with it.
    In addition KotoR 1 feels like a weird proto-Mass Effect. The games are distinct enough, but the KotoR DNA is quite strong in Mass Effect, beyond the usual Bioware RPG DNA.
    It definitely convinced me to redownload Mass Legendary Edition, getting all my mods set up us going to be a right pain. But it makes a lot of sense, IIRC Mass Effect came about when they decided not to do KotOR2.

Honestly I think ME1 is essentially what we'd have got if Bioware was asked to make a Star Wars game without any Jedi. It even has Carth Onasi returning to the party!

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, only options were to restart from my last save (and lose everything since before the last guardian) or the entrance (and lose potentially thirty floors). I'd have accepted restarting the floor.
    Really? That really makes me wonder how they decide what your options are on death, then. Because I had thought that letting you just restart the fight was a great QoL feature if they're still unwilling to just nix the "MC KO = game over" thing, but if it only kicks in at certain times, that still sucks.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2024-02-12 at 12:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    I've been meaning to finally sit down and power through KOTOR, but I've honestly had a difficult time with it. Combat is functional but unengaging and actually moving through the world can get pretty tedious. I burned out after Dantooine the first time.
    KotOR has not aged gracefully. It has too many tutorial locations (Endar Spire then Taris then Dantooine are all basically introductory zones) and the last planet drags on far too long.

Plus the Aurora engine isn't particularly smooth and has lots of shuffling about when characters try to interact with props and each other.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Blesses are very different, they added a new school of magic (glamor), and evocations are... maybe better? Hard to say, meta on that is still developing. Also construction items all moved up one research level, there is an option to make level 9 spells research individually, UI changes.

Bless points all go in the same pool, you get X-1 bless points for having a path at X. And you unlock blesses with a specific path, like Righteous Wrath is Fire 4 (new bless that buffs sacreds when a sacred dies). So you could take a F4W4S4 arch mage, get 9 bless points, and take Righteous Wrath (4) and +1 att twice (2 each) and finish with snow move (1). We are still figuring out the meta but the Glamor 1 bless that gives +50% XP and can be stacked seems good on good sacreds. Any stackable bless can be taken up to five times.
    Full stacked glamour seems like it's potentially kind of silly for Ind, given that they can spend 1 turn at the onyx court and come-out with 18 xp on everything in their army. Although to be fair 'getting kind of silly with blesses' is sort of Ind's thing and I don't know if that particular one is better than just giving your entire army unbearable splendour out the gate or something.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    KotOR has not aged gracefully. It has too many tutorial locations (Endar Spire then Taris then Dantooine are all basically introductory zones) and the last planet drags on far too long.

Plus the Aurora engine isn't particularly smooth and has lots of shuffling about when characters try to interact with props and each other.
    Personally, I'd say KotOR's biggest issue is being real-time-with-pause. On my more recent attempts to replay it I've always wound up dropping it after Dantooine or the first planet I do after it, and I think generally getting bored with the combat because of that is to blame. I liked it back in the day, but boy is it hard to go back to now.

23. - Top - End - #893

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Personally, I'd say KotOR's biggest issue is being real-time-with-pause. On my more recent attempts to replay it I've always wound up dropping it after Dantooine or the first planet I do after it, and I think generally getting bored with the combat because of that is to blame. I liked it back in the day, but boy is it hard to go back to now.
    I have so little tolerance for real-time with pause. I get why it happened, but if you give me a choice between it and proper turn-based combat I'm picking turn based every time.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    I have so little tolerance for real-time with pause. I get why it happened, but if you give me a choice between it and proper turn-based combat I'm picking turn based every time.
    I always kinda liked real-time with pause (it certainly doesn't fit every game, but neither does the alternatives). I like having a choice of pace, in some battles I'll probably pause often enough that it's basically turn-based, in some I'll probably not pause at all and in most it'll be somewhere in between. Though I've never actually played KotOR so I'll make no judgement on how it's implemented there.

In other news, I finally finished Life is Strange (it's not actually that long of a game, but I mostly just play a few hours on the weekends) and while there are occasional things that bug me (including occasional bugs) overall I must say I found it pretty damn good. The ending was quite the kick in the feels.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I always kinda liked real-time with pause (it certainly doesn't fit every game, but neither does the alternatives). I like having a choice of pace, in some battles I'll probably pause often enough that it's basically turn-based, in some I'll probably not pause at all and in most it'll be somewhere in between. Though I've never actually played KotOR so I'll make no judgement on how it's implemented there.
    Clunkily, at best, although a bit less awkward than implementation in Neverwinter Nights was because they didn't try to also try to force real-time simultaneous action processing it into the assumptions of a dungeon-based tactical map with abilities that assumed time halted for an individual actors turn.. and also friendly fire is off by default so you don't stress about frying your own party when they run in front of your Evil Psychic Lightning. It mostly feels like turn based to me, just with.. like, auto-combat turned on so you don't have to re-enter the basic Attack command every turn - the 'turns' process slowly enough and with big enough halts before processing the next 'turn' action that it's not really pressured to pause things, you can just click in the next action or five while the current one is animating and only really need to pause if you also want to try to give specific orders to the rest of your party (which you usually don't because they're basically ok just autoattacking/using whatever special attack tree you specialized them into.)
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2024-02-12 at 06:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Well I would be playing some ME1, but due to accidentally hitting play instead of install mod and cancelling the launch it decided to verify files.

...that's an hour of verifying at minimum, followed by another hour of reinstalling mods, before I can even get close to playing the game. Really useful when I only have a maximum of 1.5 hours of vision left

Show

27. - Top - End - #897
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    The big thing KOTOR did that a lot of other RTWP games didn't is action queuing. You could queue up several actions in a row and have them play out without needing to interrupt. It made the combat feel a lot smoother since you'd script three or four turns out across your party and then let it play, only pausing to change commands if something drastic happened.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I pretty much always play a scout; I am an utter slave to having the right skill, at the right time, and a high-int scout is a big part of that.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #899

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    I pretty much always play a scout; I am an utter slave to having the right skill, at the right time, and a high-int scout is a big part of that.
    I don't rate skills on the protagonist for KotOR, because you're going to switch to a Jedi class and they *all* suck at skills, even the Sentinel who is supposed to be the skills one (2+half Int bonus/level is still rubbish). And Persuasion is the only skill that only the protag can use and because of the way it works you're basically required to upgrade it every level if you want it to work ever (because it's based on the relative level not fixed DCs), so that's just a skills tax on the protag.

Mission and T3-M4 are there to be your skillmonkeys. Just kill everything then come back with them to slice all the computers, pick all the locks, and repair all the repairables for sweet extra XP at max efficiency.

Scout is a good starting class, but you only take it to 4 then hold the rest of your levels. That gives you 3 extra feats over an equivalent Soldier (because they will have to spend some on Implant because implants are so good and you get it for free) and you have Uncanny Dodge 1, 2 extra strong saves, and all you spend for it is 8HP and 1AB. And endgame AB is like +50 anyway.

(Scout isn't even the skills class either, Scoundrel is. And Scoundrel is the one you don't hold levels on as much because of Sneak Attack carrying over value)

30. - Top - End - #900

Being forced to swap to a Jedi class is what made me drop KotOR. I just...don't care, man. I wanted to shoot my blasters. Being abruptly forced to swap to something you did not have in mind at the start of the game and which may not fit your stats or previous Feat choices is dumb.