New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1300
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing: 9 Years since the Last Dragon Age

Started playing Wild Arms 1 with my daughter, and between her bedtime and busy schedule, got impatient with our progress, so I picked up playing Wild Arms: Alter Code F on the side for my Wild Arms fix. Plays a lot like Wild Arms 3.5, just without horseback combat (boo). Story wise Alter Code matches rather closely with WA1, with the big changes being the combat setup, tools used for solving puzzles (pulled some of the options in from WA3) and flipping the world map along the y-axis (which keeps exploring surprisingly fresh). Now I just want to replay the whole series once I'm done with Alter Code, but am sorely tempted to skip to WA3 (personal favorite), but WA2 is a strong entry too.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2024-04-11 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Finally wrapped up Chapter 4 of Knight's Tale today, that being the end of the main story, with chapter being the endgame stuff. I started this in early/mid February, and it took about 66 hours all told.

Of the various XCOMish things I've played, I'd rank this very near the top. The combat feels right for the setting, with the heavily armored characters in particular feeling tough in a way I don't think I've really encountered elsewhere in tactics games or RPGs. Plenty of games have tanky characters, but the armor system makes it feel like actual protection. I went Old Faith, which gave a very magic inflected playthrough by late game, and the combination of spells and knights in armor was extremely satisfying.

The other mechanical thing I thought worked extremely well was having unique characters in a loose class system. Because the skill tree for each character was unique, my roster got less homogeneous as the game went. This reduced tedium considerably, as I could switch out one Champion or Sage for another and it wasn't necessarily a downgrade so much as an alternative playtime.

I liked the story pretty well too. The cosmology of Avalon was generally vague, which might really irritate some, but I thought it was a solid high fantasy interpretation of an Otherworld, not really here or there. I could have done with more character interaction (if you can put Lancelot and Guinevere in a parry together they should really say something to each other!) but the core was a pretty clever inversion of the mythology. Probably annoying to purists (how exactly you can be a purist about what's basically a thousand year long unmanaged collaborative fan fiction project I don't know, but fans will get upset about such things) but a lot of fun for me to see various pieces of Brittish Isles folklore knitted together willy nilly.

Overall I'd highly recommend it if you like turn based games about hitting dudes with axes. I think I'll mess around a bit with the endgame stuff, but now it's time to Cyberpunk.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Then I got bored of FO4 and played Skyrim for like a day, before I got annoyed by it (I can't tell a follower that I'll think about making them Steward, then do it a day later?) and stopped that, too. So, I picked up Surviving Mars again to play way too late in the night. I am also annoyed by it. I may be getting depressed.
    Maybe you need to shake things with other types of games? I know I burnt out of RPGs, 4X and Turn-based Strategy (my favorite genres) a few years ago. Playing them became something between a chore and a bad habit. I broke out of this funk by playing different kind of games that weren't my jam before, like action platformers, roguelites or beat them alls. Playing shorter games (around 10-30 hours start to finish) also helped break the tedium of those 100+hours monsters.
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-04-12 at 04:07 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, there should be a law against 100+h RPGs. :p

No, but seriously.

Another thing I 'm liking about Yakuza Like a Dragon is that it looks like it wraps a pretty well rounded story (with combat paddings and all) under 40h. Would prefer even less but that's me.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2024-04-12 at 09:37 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Titan in the Playground

Ended up wanting to restart WotR to switch to a Dhampir Rogue, so I hoped over to Rogue Trader for a bit. Finally got my Psyker to the point I could select another power, and decied to go for Santic Powers over Telepathy or more minor Pyromancy stuff. So now I can buff Resolve and set things on fire, and honestly once I get an actual Psy Rating this combined with both Psyker and Officer loving that Willpower Bonus will become ridiculous.

Although I can see why people like Idira, that +1 Psy Rating is ridiculous in the first act. I might actually find a use for her if I can work out a late game build that exploits Psychic Phenomena, but that's for another playthrough. I'm still planning on throwing her into the first Black Ship I see.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been playing a more diverse set of games than I have in a long time. Played Don't Starve Together with my wife for a while and recently moved on to Stardew Valley, neither of which are games I normally would have played.
    Recently finished XCOM 2 for the first time, a genre totally in my wheelhouse, just hadn't gotten around to. Mixed in some Cities Skyline 2 too. And just started on Diablo 4 since it came to GamePass

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

Taking a break from big RPGs with a trip to Stardew Valley. Started a new game and everything is going a lot faster than it used to. Currently the big bottleneck is saving up 4000 coins for a coop.

But it was when I was fishing in the river in my dungarees with my masculine haircut that I realised 'hang on, I've made a lesbian'. I guess it's time to shove flowers in Emily's face...
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Playing some Rimworld these days, in light of the new expansion. Haven’t played since Ideology, so I was a bit surprised to discover that by the end of the first day, 2 of my 3 colonists were pregnant. We’re going for a boreal forest base that will hopefully blossom into a monster research facility, but currently the only monsters we contain are of the kindergarten variety.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Taking a break from big RPGs with a trip to Stardew Valley. Started a new game and everything is going a lot faster than it used to. Currently the big bottleneck is saving up 4000 coins for a coop.

But it was when I was fishing in the river in my dungarees with my masculine haircut that I realised 'hang on, I've made a lesbian'. I guess it's time to shove flowers in Emily's face...
    Well, I'm sure she'll appreciate you not blatantly ignoring that you've clearly made a lesbian, unlike some video game developers I could mention...

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

A game I didn't even know about when it was originally released just rereleased: Gigantic: Rampage Edition. I got it because a good friend was a huge fan of it, and I support the trend of games being brought back from the dead. The servers were melting down on release day, but I kept playing anyway, and now I'm totally addicted. Gigantic is a super stylized capture-point hero shooter with one MOBA element: You can heavily customize your character's abilities over the course of a match. It's also got a totally unique win condition, or at least one I've never seen in my lifetime of gaming: The energy from the capture points is used to release your main base's Guardian to attack the enemy team's, and temporarily make it vulnerable to being attacked by your team. You also summon creatures on the capture points to hold them for you, which have their own array of special abilities, and can be upgraded if you're willing to sacrifice ultimate charge to do it... There's several layers of strategy in this game that I've never seen before!

Before you get to those layers of strategy, there's also a more straightforward mode, Rush, that new players have to start with. But, you get access to the real mode, Clash, at just player level 9, and doing all the tutorials gets you at least 4 account levels, so it's not any sort of punishing grind. Speaking of a lack of punishing grind, the game isn't F2P, so it doesn't need to drag the experience out to tempt you to buy (nonexistent) microtransactions! It released two days ago, I've played a fraction as much as the real fanatics, and I've already got all the heroes unlocked.

And despite how unique Gigantic feels, it's also helping me recapture the feeling I had playing my all-time favorite hero shooter, Super Monday Night Combat! I don't think I'll be able to put this one down for a while...
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan