New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 II: The Urge for a Second Playthrough

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    I get that it's meant to be a permanent transformation and honestly I love the concept of having a companion who gets really messed up by a curse, but it really looks bad. Like aesthetically unappealing in a way that I don't think it's meant to, and I know Larian can make horns and black sclera look good! Feels like they went too far and not far enough at the same time.

It also happens really early so he'll spend basically all the game like that and averting it requires you to sacrifice another companion character.
    Agreed; they could at least let us change the horns via the companion mirror.

Incidentally, there are mods for that (different horns rather than removing them) too

If I had to guess it's lipsync reasons, I think the dragonborn use a different rig.
    Hmmm... now I'm going to see if disguise spells/Mask of the Shapeshifter will let me turn companions into dragonborn and how that might affect their dialogue if so.

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    It's worth remembering that BG3 is also co-op, so every party is treated like the PC because from the game's POV, and of them can be a PC. Hence also I suspect things like no pooled gold supply and per-character trading.
    While gold isn't pooled per se, Larian uses a "Magic Pockets" mechanic where the active actor can get what they need from the other party members automatically. For example, if your trading character has insufficient gold for a transaction, hitting the "balance trade" button will teleport the remainder from another party member to that one and allow you to complete the purchase. Similarly, keys and other plot items can teleport around.

Not sure if it works this way in MP though, i.e. if you can "rob" human-controlled PCs while trading.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

I've entered Act 2 in my second run now. I'm a little surprised by how long I've gone now without any Dark Urge stuff kicking in. It's pretty much been since the Goblin camp - nothing in the Underdark, nothing at the Githyanki Creche, and at least so far nothing in the extremely early interactions I've had in act 2. The last thing I had I think was
    Spoiler: Act 1
    Show
    the "Butler" showing up one night and handing me the cloak. The last actual Dark Urge interaction I remember was the option to bite off an arrogant Goblin's toe when he was insisting I kiss his feet.

I'm also really feeling the low number of spells known that Sorcerers get now. With my Cleric I pretty much always had what I wanted from each level, and with Gale as a Wizard, Astarion as a Bard, and even Wyll as a Warlock last time I didn't feel nearly so constrained as I do as a Sorcerer. I'm getting maybe a couple of options per spell level, and only one when I get access to a new level. I know this is a known issue with them, I've seen people talk about it online before, but not having played one myself it's definitely another thing to experience it. Makes me wonder if I should whip up a bonus spell list of my own for the Draconic Sorcerer in the game I just started DMing.

I get that it's meant to be a permanent transformation and honestly I love the concept of having a companion who gets really messed up by a curse, but it really looks bad. Like aesthetically unappealing in a way that I don't think it's meant to, and I know Larian can make horns and black sclera look good! Feels like they went too far and not far enough at the same time.
    No, I think that's deliberate, he's supposed to look unappealing. It's a punishment for defying his orders, it's supposed to make him look wrong, make other mortals find him frightening at a glance. That's why he doesn't just look like a Tiefling - would've been easy to just swap his race from Human to Tiefling if that's what they were going for, but it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    It's worth remembering that BG3 is also co-op, so every party is treated like the PC because from the game's POV, and of them can be a PC. Hence also I suspect things like no pooled gold supply and per-character trading.
    True, but they still probably should've taken into account that most people would likely be playing the game single-player, and doing things that way would cause problems there. It would help considerably if things like those worked differently depending on whether you were playing with other people or not.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2023-10-15 at 01:22 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Hmmm... now I'm going to see if disguise spells/Mask of the Shapeshifter will let me turn companions into dragonborn and how that might affect their dialogue if so.
    Just tested with Shadowheart and yeah, it completely breaks the lipsync. Animations still work so it’s the same rig, but the movements don’t translate. It’s weird

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    No, I think that's deliberate, he's supposed to look unappealing. It's a punishment for defying his orders, it's supposed to make him look wrong, make other mortals find him frightening at a glance. That's why he doesn't just look like a Tiefling - would've been easy to just swap his race from Human to Tiefling if that's what they were going for, but it isn't.
    I’m not entirely convinced by that. Notably you have dialogue that lets you compliment the new look. It is also, as mentioned his look for most of the game in most playthroughs, so I don’t know if unappealing was the right angle design-wise, especially not the sort of unappealing they chose.

Like it feels like something hastily added in well after the normal version was finalized, not something the character’s design was built around.

4. - Top - End - #244

I'm also really feeling the low number of spells known that Sorcerers get now. With my Cleric I pretty much always had what I wanted from each level, and with Gale as a Wizard, Astarion as a Bard, and even Wyll as a Warlock last time I didn't feel nearly so constrained as I do as a Sorcerer. I'm getting maybe a couple of options per spell level, and only one when I get access to a new level. I know this is a known issue with them, I've seen people talk about it online before, but not having played one myself it's definitely another thing to experience it. Makes me wonder if I should whip up a bonus spell list of my own for the Draconic Sorcerer in the game I just started DMing.
    I'd agree that you should.

It's especially maddening because in the OneD&D playtest, they alleviate this issue (every sorcerer gets 7 extra spells known over their career) but they also plan to put the two sorc subclasses from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything (Aberrant and Clockwork) into the new core books, and those two get 10 more bonus spells on top of that, while Draconic and Wild Magic don't. Presumably that will get normalized before they go to print but this process has left me skeptical.

I mean sure, but we still have to look at it for 100 hours

It's like, hey Larian - don't fart in the elevator we're stuck in together and then tell me it was completely intentional. You still farted in the elevator!
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Realizing Raphael might be my favourite character in this game

Spoiler: ACT 3 Spoilers
    Show
    The only thing better than a good boss theme is a good boss theme with lyrics, and the only thing better than that is a good boss theme with lyrics sung by the boss.
    LIVES
    All mortal lives
    Expire

SOULS
    Go to their dooms
    In FLAME
    Forever More

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly I like Wyll's horns, and even his eye doesn't bother me that much. What made him start to look wrong to me was noticing the subtle flesh ridges, which he has in places the Tiefling models don't

Also started to experience the fabled Act 3 performance drops, it remains at a choppy but playable twenty-something most of the time but will occasionally drop to seconds per frame or just completely freeze occasionally. So as it gets too much I'm alternating it with a BG1 playthrough, which has given me two complaints:

1) please Larian give an option to raise the party cap to give or six, it makes it so much easier to get a decent balance between 'I need a balanced party' and 'I want both front liners while playing one myself'.

2) why on earth is Jaheira defaulting dual wielding scimitars in BG3? Her default weapon in 1 is the quarterstaff, she has one in her character portrait, and her most skilled weapon is actually the club. I'd say it's because they wanted to give Halsin a staff but IIRC she was planned to be in the party long before the bear. Maybe her default proficiencies changed in BG2, but I might look into modding the game so she has some kind of +2 +1d6 cold damage quarterstaff instead.

Also I do get why they changed it, but Jaheira isn't a straight classed Druid, she should have Fighter levels. But that would probably make her far too weak with BG3's encounter design.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    LIVES
    All mortal lives
    Expire

SOULS
    Go to their dooms
    In FLAME
    Forever More
    While "Song of Balduran" is my favorite tune from this game, this one is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Honestly I like Wyll's horns, and even his eye doesn't bother me that much. What made him start to look wrong to me was noticing the subtle flesh ridges, which he has in places the Tiefling models don't
    Oh it's even worse, he literally tells you he has ridges and spikes in his unmentionable areas

2) why on earth is Jaheira defaulting dual wielding scimitars in BG3? Her default weapon in 1 is the quarterstaff, she has one in her character portrait, and her most skilled weapon is actually the club. I'd say it's because they wanted to give Halsin a staff but IIRC she was planned to be in the party long before the bear. Maybe her default proficiencies changed in BG2, but I might look into modding the game so she has some kind of +2 +1d6 cold damage quarterstaff instead.
    It was weird to me too, but at least it made my decision to swap her to Ranger (and Minsc to Berserker Barb) much easier.

Also I do get why they changed it, but Jaheira isn't a straight classed Druid, she should have Fighter levels. But that would probably make her far too weak with BG3's encounter design.
    Everyone is straight-classed by default because you can't multiclass in Story difficulty. You can't adjust their stats on story difficulty either, which causes some incongruities (No way does Minsc only have 12 Strength, but because he's a ranger, that's where they default him to.) I would take the "default builds" for each character with a heaping helping of salt.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Iirc the scimitar was the best weapon for jaheira in the long run due to being one handed and not a club. She wanted a shield to make up for the weaker druid hit dice and poor armor availability from having druid levels, so no quarterstaff.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Iirc the scimitar was the best weapon for jaheira in the long run due to being one handed and not a club. She wanted a shield to make up for the weaker druid hit dice and poor armor availability from having druid levels, so no quarterstaff.
    That doesn't explain her dual-wielding though (since she can't do that and use a shield.) Also you can wield quarterstaffs one-handed in 5e.

Personally I think Drizz't just rubbed off on her
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

That doesn't explain her dual-wielding though (since she can't do that and use a shield.) Also you can wield quarterstaffs one-handed in 5e.

Personally I think Drizz't just rubbed off on her
    Eeeewww it's like if you heard your aunt and your ***other*** uncle hooking up.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

I’m not entirely convinced by that. Notably you have dialogue that lets you compliment the new look. It is also, as mentioned his look for most of the game in most playthroughs, so I don’t know if unappealing was the right angle design-wise, especially not the sort of unappealing they chose.

Like it feels like something hastily added in well after the normal version was finalized, not something the character’s design was built around.
    I don't think being able to compliment him means anything, both because appearances are subjective, and because you could be intended to pick that in order to be flattering whether you mean it or not. I very much think it was deliberate. Heck, what Psyren brought up about him telling us he has ridges in unmentionable places really ought to show that they knew what they were doing with his look there, I'd think.

I'd agree that you should.

It's especially maddening because in the OneD&D playtest, they alleviate this issue (every sorcerer gets 7 extra spells known over their career) but they also plan to put the two sorc subclasses from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything (Aberrant and Clockwork) into the new core books, and those two get 10 more bonus spells on top of that, while Draconic and Wild Magic don't. Presumably that will get normalized before they go to print but this process has left me skeptical.
    Personally, my guess would be that they just drop the bonus spells entirely from those in 5.5, and didn't feel that alone warranted reprinting them in the playtest if they would otherwise be unchanged. But who knows.

I mean sure, but we still have to look at it for 100 hours

It's like, hey Larian - don't fart in the elevator we're stuck in together and then tell me it was completely intentional. You still farted in the elevator!
    Oh come on, it's not like they made him look like Auntie Ethel or something, he's just deliberately not handsome.

Re: Jaheira - The weird thing to me is that she gets one scimitar that uses her casting stat for attacks, and one that doesn't. Just... why? Were they scared of giving you two such weapons for some reason? Plus AI-controlled Jaheira seems to favor Wild Shape in combat anyway, so the scimitars don't even matter until you get control of her. And since the AI seemed to like Wild Shaping with her I just made her a Moon Druid, personally. Though aside from her side-quest I didn't really use her. By the time you get her and the other late-game companions I was already too settled into using a rotation of the main six, feels like I'd have to go out of my way to use the others.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2023-10-15 at 05:18 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #252

Doing the Underdark on this playthrough and I found an interesting tablet in the Grymforge that answers an earlier topic we were discussing in the previous thread:

So Shar said to me, Ketheric Thorm: "It was Lord Ao who created chaos; it was from chaos that I formed; and it is I who anoint you my paladin. From this day forth, let my Laws be known."

I don't know how widespread knowledge of Ao is this time around, but it looks like he's at least relaxing the rules around writing about him or other gods talking about him.

I don't think being able to compliment him means anything, both because appearances are subjective, and because you could be intended to pick that in order to be flattering whether you mean it or not. I very much think it was deliberate. Heck, what Psyren brought up about him telling us he has ridges in unmentionable places really ought to show that they knew what they were doing with his look there, I'd think.
    Yeah - I do agree it was intentionally bad.
    (hence my analogy)

Oh come on, it's not like they made him look like Auntie Ethel or something, he's just deliberately not handsome.
    I mean... I don't have to look at her for 100 hours either

Re: Jaheira - The weird thing to me is that she gets one scimitar that uses her casting stat for attacks, and one that doesn't. Just... why? Were they scared of giving you two such weapons for some reason? Plus AI-controlled Jaheira seems to favor Wild Shape in combat anyway, so the scimitars don't even matter until you get control of her. And since the AI seemed to like Wild Shaping with her I just made her a Moon Druid, personally. Though aside from her side-quest I didn't really use her. By the time you get her and the other late-game companions I was already too settled into using a rotation of the main six, feels like I'd have to go out of my way to use the others.
    You know, I didn't even notice her scimitar granted Wis to attack, I just swapped her to ranger and kept it on her
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Doing the Underdark on this playthrough and I found an interesting tablet in the Grymforge that answers an earlier topic we were discussing in the previous thread:

So Shar said to me, Ketheric Thorm: "It was Lord Ao who created chaos; it was from chaos that I formed; and it is I who anoint you my paladin. From this day forth, let my Laws be known."

I don't know how widespread knowledge of Ao is this time around, but it looks like he's at least relaxing the rules around writing about him or other gods talking about him.
    No, that was one of the things that prompted my earlier remarks about that. Ao wiped all knowledge of himself from mortal minds and records after the one and only time he appeared on Toril, he wouldn't be letting any of the gods just name-drop him like that. Like I said before, I suspect the devs just didn't realize that - particularly since Gale also talks about him as well when he explains why Mystra wouldn't just take out the Absolute for you, as if he's common knowledge.

I mean... I don't have to look at her for 100 hours either
    My point was that he doesn't look nearly as bad as her . It's not like he's hideous to look at, just unattractive.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Gale is a contemporary of Elminster (who knows of and has cursed the name of Ao a time or two) and a former Chosen of Mystra, so if anybody would know about Ao, it would be Gale.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #255

No, that was one of the things that prompted my earlier remarks about that. Ao wiped all knowledge of himself from mortal minds and records after the one and only time he appeared on Toril, he wouldn't be letting any of the gods just name-drop him like that. Like I said before, I suspect the devs just didn't realize that - particularly since Gale also talks about him as well when he explains why Mystra wouldn't just take out the Absolute for you, as if he's common knowledge.
    I guess I'm wondering if maybe they changed that bit of the lore? It's not like knowing Ao is out there changes anything - all he cares about is that the gods continue to vie for FR souls.

Gale is a contemporary of Elminster (who knows of and has cursed the name of Ao a time or two) and a former Chosen of Mystra, so if anybody would know about Ao, it would be Gale.
    And Ketheric was (at the time) a chosen of Shar. But Ketheric's tablet suggests that he was actively spreading knowledge of Shar's origins (and therefore, of Ao) throughout the faithful, so if it was a "Chosen-only" thing, it wouldn't be much longer.

I found another passage to that effect, "Canticles of the Dark Mistress":

Behold! Shar, who shades our path.
    Behold! Shar, from Ao born.
    Behold! Shar, the primal dark.
    Our Goddess of Night, behold!
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

No, even Elminster should be unaware of him, to my knowledge. Being a Chosen of one of the gods doesn't exempt you from Ao not wanting mortals to know of his existence - the point is that he's there to keep the gods playing by the rules, not to interact with mortals in any way. And Gale didn't feel any need to explain who Ao was when making his remarks, implying he expected you to know already as well.

I guess I'm wondering if maybe they changed that bit of the lore? It's not like knowing Ao is out there changes anything - all he cares about is that the gods continue to vie for FR souls.
    Not that I've heard of. And that would change something: if mortals knew of Ao's existence, some would want to start worshiping him instead of the gods. That's what was starting to happen in the wake of the Time of Troubles, and why he wiped knowledge of his existence from mortal memory and records.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2023-10-15 at 09:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, even Elminster should be unaware of him, to my knowledge.
    Ao picked up Elminster during the Time of Troubles and threw him at a big dumb monster to keep him busy. Literally.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Oh it's even worse, he literally tells you he has ridges and spikes in his unmentionable areas
    As do most of the Tiefling models, IIRC.

...I might spend more time on my characters' bits than their faces. Not quite as much as their hair though.

It was weird to me too, but at least it made my decision to swap her to Ranger (and Minsc to Berserker Barb) much easier.
    Honestly giving her a lore accurate build is kind of bad, but 5e Ranger is honestly pretty close. Like how Minsc REALLY should be a Barbarian this edition.

Everyone is straight-classed by default because you can't multiclass in Story difficulty. You can't adjust their stats on story difficulty either, which causes some incongruities (No way does Minsc only have 12 Strength, but because he's a ranger, that's where they default him to.) I would take the "default builds" for each character with a heaping helping of salt.
    Which I modded out because blargh at easy mode punishments. I get why it's there, it's incredibly easy to end up with a useless build, but it's still annoying.

Anyway, already considering my next run. I'm planning on Monk, and possibly Tiefling but also possibly one of the races which gain a d10 Versatile weapon proficiency. Maybe Wold Elf to just stack speed to ridiculous amounts.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Minsc works really well as a berserker barbarian/hunter ranger multiclass. Both have some fairly strong features early on, so you can go like 4-5 of one and then 7-8 of the other and come out pretty strong.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe, but it's not as though your character (or anyone else) says "Ao who now?"

You're just "Ok, Mystra won't help us defeat this giant threat because of Ao. Makes sense."
    Last edited by Jophiel; 2023-10-15 at 10:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Ao picked up Elminster during the Time of Troubles and threw him at a big dumb monster to keep him busy. Literally.
    I can't seem to find anything about that, checking wikis? But even if it were true, that would also be before he mind-wiped the world's knowledge of him post-Time of Troubles, so it wouldn't change the end result.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I can't seem to find anything about that, checking wikis? But even if it were true, that would also be before he mind-wiped the world's knowledge of him post-Time of Troubles, so it wouldn't change the end result.
    I would have to go check my Forgotten Realms books to be sure, but I believe it was in one of the books of the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy.

23. - Top - End - #263

Not that I've heard of. And that would change something: if mortals knew of Ao's existence, some would want to start worshiping him instead of the gods. That's what was starting to happen in the wake of the Time of Troubles, and why he wiped knowledge of his existence from mortal memory and records.
    I still don't see how. The other gods grant prayers and spells, he doesn't. Worshiping him instead of picking an actual patron doesn't save you from the Wall. Whatever faiths may spring up around him would be pretty short-lived.

Besides - the folks who we see learning about him are folks who already have a patron.

Now I wonder if Tiefling Tav has any special dialogue with him post-punishment...

Which I modded out because blargh at easy mode punishments. I get why it's there, it's incredibly easy to end up with a useless build, but it's still annoying.
    It annoyed me too - but I had committed to my first playthrough to being unmodded. And now that I'm past it, I'm also past easy and have full control over my party's builds, so it's moot.

No, even Elminster should be unaware of him, to my knowledge. Being a Chosen of one of the gods doesn't exempt you from Ao not wanting mortals to know of his existence - the point is that he's there to keep the gods playing by the rules, not to interact with mortals in any way. And Gale didn't feel any need to explain who Ao was when making his remarks, implying he expected you to know already as well.
    Even if this rule does still exist, do Elminster and Ketheric technically count as mortals anyway? Maybe that's why their patrons felt okay spilling the beans to them.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

I still don't see how. The other gods grant prayers and spells, he doesn't. Worshiping him instead of picking an actual patron doesn't save you from the Wall.
    Because those things aren't why most people worship a god. Belief in their teachings, and that they are beings worthy of being worshipped, is. And Ao, as the original creator of the universe and the lord of the gods themselves, most definitely comes across as the latter.

Again, this was happening. After Ao revealed himself at the end of the Time of Troubles, cults dedicated to his worship started to spring up. He actively does not want that, so he wiped knowledge of himself from the world, both from records and people's minds, to stop it. So he has good reason not to let any gods just start name-dropping him to their worshippers, however dedicated they may be.

Even if this rule does still exist, do Elminster and Ketheric technically count as mortals anyway? Maybe that's why their patrons felt okay spilling the beans to them.
    Yes, they definitely do. Chosen are still mortals, just empowered ones.

(Also, we don't even have reason to believe that Ketheric was even a Chosen prior to being resurrected and converting to Myrkul. That's irrelevant to the above, but I feel the need to point it out anyway.)

25. - Top - End - #265

Again, this was happening. After Ao revealed himself at the end of the Time of Troubles, cults dedicated to his worship started to spring up. He actively does not want that, so he wiped knowledge of himself from the world, both from records and people's minds, to stop it.
    I'm not denying how the old rule worked; but yet, now that they are name-dropping him, we see no evidence of any such cults resurging. Keep in mind the texts name-dropping him go back at least 100 years (as that's when Ketheric was an active Sharran.) Ao had plenty of time to get the magic eraser out if he were so inclined.

Moreover, the namedropping is, once again, confined to folks who already have a patron. I don't see a bunch of practicing Sharrans or Mystrans jumping ship to Ao.

Yes, they definitely do. Chosen are still mortals, just empowered ones.
    Chosen are mortal, yes; those two individuals are not.
    (Not that their status matters to my larger point anyway.)

(Also, we don't even have reason to believe that Ketheric was even a Chosen prior to being resurrected and converting to Myrkul. That's irrelevant to the above, but I feel the need to point it out anyway.)
    He was definitely a Chosen of Shar prior to jumping ship to Myrkul.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-10-16 at 01:38 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

...I might spend more time on my characters' bits than their faces. Not quite as much as their hair though.

Honestly giving her a lore accurate build is kind of bad, but 5e Ranger is honestly pretty close. Like how Minsc REALLY should be a Barbarian this edition.

Anyway, already considering my next run. I'm planning on Monk, and possibly Tiefling but also possibly one of the races which gain a d10 Versatile weapon proficiency. Maybe Wold Elf to just stack speed to ridiculous amounts.
    In this run, I made Lae'zel a Monk, and I'm stacking up her jumping capabilities. I gave her Athlete Feat to increase Dex to 18, and Tavern Brawler for Con to 16, running with Hill Giant Elixirs for 21 Str. It's absolutely insane when she uses step of the wind, I'm looking forward to, with a few buffs like Haste and Enhance Leap
    Spoiler
    Show
    liberating all prisoners in the iron throne on the first round with her

If my calculations are correct and assuming maximum jump efficiency (which certainly will not happen, but still...), that would be faster than the speed of sound, by the way (her speed could be up to 600'/round, with quadruple dash -base speed 120' with Haste, Action Dash, Haste Action Dash, Bonus Action Thief Dash, Bonus Action Step of the Wind Dash- and each jump for 225'- 30' from Str, 20' from Monk 9, 50% more from Athlete makes 75', Enhance Leap makes it 225'. So she could jump 60 times, for total movement of 60X225=13500' in 6 seconds, or 2250'/second)
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2023-10-16 at 09:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

But Gale would also know that this knowledge is not widespread, so he wouldn't just casually drop it in conversation as justification.

"Hey, why cant the USA do X so solve their problem?"
    "Oh, its because they know the Plhaxar Imperium would prevent them"
    "Wait the what now?"

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

But Gale would also know that this knowledge is not widespread, so he wouldn't just casually drop it in conversation as justification.

"Hey, why cant the USA do X so solve their problem?"
    "Oh, its because they know the Plhaxar Imperium would prevent them"
    "Wait the what now?"
    Why not? Thats how he talks about everything else.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not? Thats how he talks about everything else.
    Hahahaha. That is a good point.

As for Shar, i can see Lady Shar flaunting Ao's instructions. Since her worships is centered around her people solely devoting to her will for nihilistic purposes.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hahahaha. That is a good point.

As for Shar, i can see Lady Shar flaunting Ao's instructions. Since her worships is centered around her people solely devoting to her will for nihilistic purposes.
    Hah. What's Ao going to do, erase everything as punishment? Oops.