New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VIII: Hotter Than What's In Sydney's Lunchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    But speaking of Tom the Fiend, should he (and by extension Deus) be having serious problems with the Council? Like they have an entire organization dedicated to preventing supernatural things from exposing them all, and Tom is walking around with an army of literal demons.
    My dude, on my second read through I came to the conclusion that Deus's plot armor was so thick that an anti-tank rifle couldn't pierce it.

He's blatantly and openly doing things that should be getting his ass sanctioned and invaded without consequence and his response to being called on his violations of the using supers in acts of war was to go "well ackshuallly" about the exact wording expecting that diplomats would wring their hands bout it for a while and then pass new policies when it's too late to stop him instead of itch slapping him and telling him to cut out the rules layering.

He should have sabers rattling toward him from multiple directions but so far the only meaningful defeat he's suffered is "Max doesn't want to **** him."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Because I won't even allow myself to be drunk, that's how much I absolutely hate losing control over my own emotions and actions. Sure sometimes I'm relaxed enough to loosen my inhibitions, or emotional enough, but those situations are still because of me. Having someone force me into that mindset? I'd view it as a violation, like I would if someone slipped me ecstasy or mushrooms without my permission, no matter how positive the experience ended up being.
    You know whats also a violation? accidentally having an arm blown off
    Thats also likely to happen in this environment. But a lot harder to recover from.

So far this is leaning towards Parfait basically getting away scot-free. There's still some pages left to go in this conversation, so maybe that can turn around, but the fact that no one so far has a problem with it does bother me.
    At this point restrictions on Parfait visiting would be a pleasant surprise because that's how little faith I have in Dave.
    Except. Its clearly you who got a wildly skewed perspective on things.
    So as such, the thing to have faith in should be that Dave indeed DONT blow this out of proportions.
    And treat it as more than a teenager screwing something up.

I mean. Teenagers regularly does so. Its a part of growing up. And why you usually dont give them large amount of power.
    Parfait unfortunately does have that. Hence her screwups has a bigger effect.

I think restrictions are a likely one. I mean, there should be restrictions anyways if only because its a non member of archon on the base without notifying anyone or getting permission. That alone should be getting both her and sydney in some amount of trouble. The fact that something went wrong, even if a relatively mild issue like this just compounds it. It wouldnt shock me if she is banned until she has proven her self control makes her safe to be out and about without a senior on hand to reel her in just in case.
    By the sound of it. Sydney did have Anvils tacit permission. She certainly talked with Gwen who is her senior.
    And since both Hiro, and Dabbler, has brought dates to the base. Then i dont see the issue with this part.

Heck, Parfait did have the presence of mind to ask for a sleeping potion.
    But she were summoned naked as it caught her in the shower.

Not coming by without one would already head off further issues.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2023-10-22 at 02:50 PM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Thats also likely to happen in this environment. But a lot harder to recover from.

So as such, the thing to have faith in should be that Dave indeed DONT blow this out of proportions.

I mean. Teenagers regularly does so. Its a part of growing up. And why you usually dont give them large amount of power.

By the sound of it. Sydney did have Anvils tacit permission. She certainly talked with Gwen who is her senior.
    And since both Hiro, and Dabbler, has brought dates to the base. Then i dont see the issue with this part.

Heck, Parfait did have the presence of mind to ask for a sleeping potion.
    But she were summoned naked as it caught her in the shower.

Not coming by without one would already head off further issues.
    The thing is, anvil was aware that sydney had parfaits summoning circle. She didnt say, afaik, that she was ok to call her in base whenever she wants. Gwen asked the slightly wrong question, or phrased it wrong, she asked if maxima knew about this. She probably MEANT if maxima knew sydney was summoning parfait, but sydney took it to be asking if she was aware that she HAD parfaits contact info. So she said pretty sure because anvil knew. It was a lot of assumptions and as we all know, assumptions are the mother of all eff ups. Thats a good point about the lack of potion. Its entirely possible that she would normally carry something like that around since she knows she isnt perfectly safe yet. But then again she might not, as I doubt she has given her summoning info to a lot of people, and probably few of them would have a problem if a surprise orgy broke out. Being friends with a succubus and all.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

Not really? Not by any reasonable degree of 'likely'. The vast majority of soldiers go through training without anyone suffering any sort of severe injury. Why? Because if anyone is being reckless and stupid with high explosives or other dangerous equipment they are drummed out faster than you can say dishonorable discharge. That and the trainers take safety extremely seriously. Like look at how Sydney's gun training goes. That's actually realistic with how much emphasis people are taking in her not doing anything stupid.

Similarly if Heatwave was being stupid with her powers and accidentally burned someone severely, she would likely face serious disciplinary charges. The whole point of Archon is to keep people safe from superpowers. If their own field team are a hazard to themselves and others, than the entire organization would be treated as failures.

Lots of people seem to have problems with Parfait's actions, so I'm hardly alone in that boat. And the defense of 'it was an accident' or 'she's a teenager', or even 'she's from a different culture', isn't really holding any water with me.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Lots of people seem to have problems with Parfait's actions, so I'm hardly alone in that boat. And the defense of 'it was an accident' or 'she's a teenager', or even 'she's from a different culture', isn't really holding any water with me.
    None of those would matter much, outside of the teenager one if it was true which it does not appear to actually be I think she is just a ditz, but they also aren't the relevant bit. The relevant bit is that it was mostly a nothing incident with no particular harm or long lasting damage pending Heatwave being talked down from vaporizing parfait.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

And now, Parfait faces consequences, and Dabbler's argument that Deus wants to boink Maxima so badly that he would pass up a chance at world domination if he could get into her pants is stupid. Literally betting the security of the United States on the lustful desires of a guy who has sex with a number of attractive women because there's one attractive woman he hasn't bedded yet is not how the military thinks. Also, someone who is literally incapable of defying a master who is working toward world domination is, in fact, an unwise choice of a person to let into your top-secret military base.

This is not a time for "that's not how we'd do it where I work". This is a time for "how do people whose entire lives are dedicated to protecting secrets, think about security" analysis, and if you've never had to deal with government security people you really have no idea just how professionally paranoid they can be.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And now, Parfait faces consequences, and Dabbler's argument that Deus wants to boink Maxima so badly that he would pass up a chance at world domination if he could get into her pants is stupid. Literally betting the security of the United States on the lustful desires of a guy who has sex with a number of attractive women because there's one attractive woman he hasn't bedded yet is not how the military thinks. Also, someone who is literally incapable of defying a master who is working toward world domination is, in fact, an unwise choice of a person to let into your top-secret military base.

This is not a time for "that's not how we'd do it where I work". This is a time for "how do people whose entire lives are dedicated to protecting secrets, think about security" analysis, and if you've never had to deal with government security people you really have no idea just how professionally paranoid they can be.
    In reality it isnt even a consequence. Sydney isnt exactly chained to the base after all. There is nothing stopping her from summoning parfait in the comic shop or whatever and going for a town ramble to see the sights on her time off. This time with a sleep potion handy just in case. Its funny how despite all this lead up and brouhaha over the lust aura incident, its almost entirely a security issue unrelated to any of that which is getting her banned, and yeah, it makes sense to do so. Also its not like dabblers argument convinced her to change her mind.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

I think Dabbler does have the correct read though. Deus seems to be at that point of being rich and powerful that what he wants more then anything else is just a variety of experience and indulgence beyond what money or power alone could provide. See his list of crazy rare species and creatures he has slept with. Also I think he might just actually have a crush on Maxima outside of that. As a succubus it makes sense that Dabbler can see that angle of thigs and realize that Deus isn't interested in playing games with Archon because he doesn't want to make her mad. Of course none of that would justify not banning Parfait because of course they should succubi are like literal superspy sex assassins.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    In reality it isnt even a consequence. Sydney isnt exactly chained to the base after all. There is nothing stopping her from summoning parfait in the comic shop or whatever and going for a town ramble to see the sights on her time off. This time with a sleep potion handy just in case. Its funny how despite all this lead up and brouhaha over the lust aura incident, its almost entirely a security issue unrelated to any of that which is getting her banned, and yeah, it makes sense to do so. Also its not like dabblers argument convinced her to change her mind.
    I mean it does cause some inconvenience. But it's also probably for the best overall anyways that Parfait have limited hang out time with Sidney in general.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #39

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I think Dabbler does have the correct read though. Deus seems to be at that point of being rich and powerful that what he wants more then anything else is just a variety of experience and indulgence beyond what money or power alone could provide. See his list of crazy rare species and creatures he has slept with. Also I think he might just actually have a crush on Maxima outside of that. As a succubus it makes sense that Dabbler can see that angle of thigs and realize that Deus isn't interested in playing games with Archon because he doesn't want to make her mad. Of course none of that would justify not banning Parfait because of course they should succubi are like literal superspy sex assassins.

I mean it does cause some inconvenience. But it's also probably for the best overall anyways that Parfait have limited hang out time with Sidney in general.
    I guess it matters where Deus is on the alignment diagram. If he's Lawful Evil (which is plausible), obtaining World Domination means he has all the time and power he needs to seduce Maxima. Or coerce her. Not by threatening her directly, but by threatening to do extremely bad things to the World he Dominates (or parts of it) unless she becomes his mistress.

Something like "food exports to the Horn of Africa stop tomorrow if I don't get some action starting tonight".

And again, if you're military security, you worry about what Deus might do if he had the power. It's the job of the politicians to gauge how likely he is to do specific things, the job of the military to worry about what he could or might do if he decided to play rough.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2023-10-23 at 09:20 AM.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

None of those would matter much, outside of the teenager one if it was true which it does not appear to actually be I think she is just a ditz, but they also aren't the relevant bit. The relevant bit is that it was mostly a nothing incident with no particular harm or long lasting damage pending Heatwave being talked down from vaporizing parfait.
    And now Archon's Serious Security People are aware of at least a couple of significant holes in their security plan - it is possible to summon into Archon quarters without interrupt, redirect, or even so much as an alarm indicating an unvetted visitor, and their building does nothing to contain the spread of magical auras - that will hopefully be addressed in some fashion, but those don't result in inappropriately public bordering-on-sexual-harassment jokes featuring the author's pet characters so it will probably never rate a mention on screen. Maybe an author's commentary note somewhere. :shrug:

But regardless of intent or cause Parfait did functionally attack Archon. "You're not allowed to be on our base any more" is about the lightest sensible punishment there is for that... and also probably about the only punishment they can actually expect to try to enforce without going to actual imprisonment or worse, considering Parfait isn't a member of their organization or subject to any judicial authority that both she and Archon would recognize as having the power to impose or enforce any additional terms. Like, what else are they going to do? Tell Tom Parfait isn't permitted to be on Earth any more and expect him to ground her?
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2023-10-23 at 10:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I guess it matters where Deus is on the alignment diagram. If he's Lawful Evil (which is plausible), obtaining World Domination means he has all the time and power he needs to seduce Maxima. Or coerce her. Not by threatening her directly, but by threatening to do extremely bad things to the World he Dominates (or parts of it) unless she becomes his mistress.

Something like "food exports to the Horn of Africa stop tomorrow if I don't get some action starting tonight".

And again, if you're military security, you worry about what Deus might do if he had the power. It's the job of the politicians to gauge how likely he is to do specific things, the job of the military to worry about what he could or might do if he decided to play rough.
    The military certainly cares about how likely people are to do certain things. Thats how they prepare for them. In a world with finite resources you can't just assume all outcomes are equally likely and prepare for all of them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Basically ITT we have a solid explanation of the difference between prime-of-life zero-esteem-issues military-trained superpowered individuals with nary a complex to be seen, and terminally insecure and struggling-for-happiness ever-vulnerable us regular common folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    My dude, on my second read through I came to the conclusion that Deus's plot armor was so thick that an anti-tank rifle couldn't pierce it.

He's blatantly and openly doing things that should be getting his ass sanctioned and invaded without consequence and his response to being called on his violations of the using supers in acts of war was to go "well ackshuallly" about the exact wording expecting that diplomats would wring their hands bout it for a while and then pass new policies when it's too late to stop him instead of itch slapping him and telling him to cut out the rules layering.

He should have sabers rattling toward him from multiple directions but so far the only meaningful defeat he's suffered is "Max doesn't want to **** him."
    Well... I think you misunderstand. He has the means and resources to either threaten or assuage any would-be detractors from directly threatening his activities. He has the supers, the tech, the positive image of his exploits, and the Alari in his territory and employ. He doesn't have to toe the line in fear of being punished, he could basically go all warcrime anytime he wanted if he deemed it be in his interests, and he'd just shut up anyone who confronts him with either a show of super force or a technology/trade bribe. He's not Russia in this scenario, he's Israel.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Basically ITT we have a solid explanation of the difference between prime-of-life zero-esteem-issues military-trained superpowered individuals with nary a complex to be seen, and terminally insecure and struggling-for-happiness ever-vulnerable us regular common folk.

Well... I think you misunderstand. He has the means and resources to either threaten or assuage any would-be detractors from directly threatening his activities. He has the supers, the tech, the positive image of his exploits, and the Alari in his territory and employ. He doesn't have to toe the line in fear of being punished, he could basically go all warcrime anytime he wanted if he deemed it be in his interests, and he'd just shut up anyone who confronts him with either a show of super force or a technology/trade bribe. He's not Russia in this scenario, he's Israel.
    I don't think thats accurate. Deus has no illusions about his ability to survive a direct confrontation with a global superpower, although Tom may possibly have changed that a bit. He's counting on international squabbling to bamboozle the people who would be in a position to stop him long enough for him to de-facto take ownership and dismantle whatever establishment he is replacing beyond the point of salvage, so that it isnt worth fighting over anymore.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #44

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I don't think thats accurate. Deus has no illusions about his ability to survive a direct confrontation with a global superpower, although Tom may possibly have changed that a bit. He's counting on international squabbling to bamboozle the people who would be in a position to stop him long enough for him to de-facto take ownership and dismantle whatever establishment he is replacing beyond the point of salvage, so that it isnt worth fighting over anymore.
    If, hypothetically speaking, the United States decided Deus must die and sends all of Arc after him - Swat, Lite, Dark - all at once with no warning, he's dead. Along with any supers or Alari or demons that get in the way. Start by airdropping Vehemence into the middle of the demon army and have Peggy put a bullet into the nearest demon to him so the demons attack. My sense is that the demons would never stop attacking, it's not in their nature. That entire force is shut down by one super while Our Lady of Incineration burns her way to Deus followed by Hiro & Sydney & Dabbler & ....

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

If, hypothetically speaking, the United States decided Deus must die and sends all of Arc after him - Swat, Lite, Dark - all at once with no warning, he's dead. Along with any supers or Alari or demons that get in the way. Start by airdropping Vehemence into the middle of the demon army and have Peggy put a bullet into the nearest demon to him so the demons attack. My sense is that the demons would never stop attacking, it's not in their nature. That entire force is shut down by one super while Our Lady of Incineration burns her way to Deus followed by Hiro & Sydney & Dabbler & ....
    Sure, the same could be said about using conventional army if we take supers out of the picture for a moment. The thing is, committing such a force requires a really good reason and there is a high cost attached - both direct (some people on your team would die in an all-out confrontation) and from a heavy political backlash. For one, sending supers to kill Deus would violate all the painfully negotiated treaties forbidding their deployment abroad - especially to attack another country. And there are also question on what you do after you succeed? Stabilizing the region would be a massive resource drain.

So it does not matter much, if such a plan could potentially succeed, if it would never be honestly considered barring Deus directly threatening USA. Instead, he offers a very lucrative deal that in short- and mid-term would give USA huge technological advantage over other superpowers. And he already has close ties to the US government as he is an equipment supplier for Archon. This means political backing. In the end, I fully expect this kind of approach to this issue.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

The relevant bit is that it was mostly a nothing incident with no particular harm or long lasting damage pending Heatwave being talked down from vaporizing parfait.
    Or her boyfriend, considering Sydney was at ground zero and still put up more resistance than he did.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Or her boyfriend, considering Sydney was at ground zero and still put up more resistance than he did.
    Hard to gauge without knowing more about their relationship. If he's philandered in the past then I could see the situation getting very hot very quickly, but if this isn't a recurring issue I don't see why Dabbler wouldn't be able to help explain the situation. The problem is that the only way to square the aura ehtically is if, outside of Sydney at ground zero and probably got a full press mind whammy from the out of control Parfait, mostly just got people doing what they already kind of wanted to or were already willing to do. In which case yea, Dabbler is gonna need to talk very very fast.

18. - Top - End - #48

SamuraiGuy

Maxima is surprised that "unit cohesion hasn't been affected *sigh* yet".

This may be foreshadowing of future morale issues. Most likely, though, Dave is going to just move on to the next story arc, and I'm fine with that.

19. - Top - End - #49

Hard to gauge without knowing more about their relationship. If he's philandered in the past then I could see the situation getting very hot very quickly, but if this isn't a recurring issue I don't see why Dabbler wouldn't be able to help explain the situation. The problem is that the only way to square the aura ehtically is if, outside of Sydney at ground zero and probably got a full press mind whammy from the out of control Parfait, mostly just got people doing what they already kind of wanted to or were already willing to do. In which case yea, Dabbler is gonna need to talk very very fast.
    I mean, its not exactly hard to understand that even while in a relationship you can be sexually attracted to other people right? From what im gathering about how it effected people, those in a relationship went to their partners if they were available. With arianna even calling in her booty. Those who were single took matters into their own hands if alone. Those who were single and with people they found attractive hooked up. Sydney, who was a little boob curious but not actually swinging for that side, got swept up initially but came to her senses. I bet had Hiro and Stalwart been working out at the gym and both were staunchly hetero, would have carefully pretended to not notice each others tent situation, excused themselves, and gone looking for a lady friend or gone to their rooms to handle it themselves. It seems like it may have been mostly luck that the people caught up in this were single or already with their partner like with math and his lady friend/sparring partner. Its not unreasonable that the general situation with peoples nondating relationships was "This person is attractive and they are a good friend" which makes the leap into bed not a terrible scenario because nobody is leaping into the sack with a sworn enemy.

As a side note, that blue alien woman, detla? She seems to be getting around the base oddly quickly. I mean, it seemed like she was hooking up with achilles after he basically no selled her entire merc attack. Then I think she nearly got dragged in with math and jabberwocky at the quarry with Tom. Now she is hooking up with one of daphnes bodies. I may be misremembering the thing with math though. I just remember him suggesting a threesome and then running off with their bras and them saying they should steal his clothes.
    Last edited by Traab; 2023-10-24 at 09:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

SamuraiGuy

Sydney. You live in a military base. You don't just invite people to come visit, in a way that bypasses security.

ADHD aside, she's smart enough to know that. Maxima ought to confine her to quarters and having her cleaning bathrooms for a month.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sydney. You live in a military base. You don't just invite people to come visit, in a way that bypasses security.

ADHD aside, she's smart enough to know that. Maxima ought to confine her to quarters and having her cleaning bathrooms for a month.
    Theyre cops man, not the army. There was a whole thing about how theyre only technically military.

22. - Top - End - #52

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Theyre cops man, not the army. There was a whole thing about how theyre only technically military.
    Pretty sure cops don't have barracks where they live together, and if they did, they'd probably have rules about people going through the front desk and signing in.

23. - Top - End - #53

Pretty sure cops don't have barracks where they live together, and if they did, they'd probably have rules about people going through the front desk and signing in.
    They are military, but under different rules and regulations and limits than any other branch. They HAD to be military or else they couldnt just transfer their super soldiers over to archon, as we learned when arianna was doing the opening press conference. Its further complicated in that they have numerous nonmilitary people as "consultants" like dabbler, or math, or the trio of heatwave achilles and amorphus. But in general I agree, that was way beyond brain fart and into openly stupid territory to just summon parfait onto the base without asking literally anyone if it was ok first. And there should be some form of punishment.

But there are probably limits there as to what can be done. remember, its doubtful the contracts they signed are for longer than a few years at a stretch (at least i hope nobody was stupid enough to sign an open ended contract) And unlike the military that has a near endless supply of new recruits to replace the ones that decide to not re-up their contracts. archon has a VERY limited pool to draw from and doesnt want to risk chasing off any of them because they were made to constantly run till they puked or locked up in the brig for weeks on end. So strict punishments are probably reserved for VERY bad setups.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    run till they puked or locked up in the brig for weeks on end. So strict punishments are probably reserved for VERY bad setups.
    Bolded actually happened. Paraphrase cuz it's been awhile and the exact wording escapes me:

Dabbler: [about to speak]

Sydney (speaking over her): "Something lewd!"

[both chuckle]

Sydney: [about to speak]

Dabbler: "Something nerdy!"

[both laugh harder]

[Maxima enters]

Maxima: [about to speak]

Sydney: "Something dour!"

[smash cut to Sydney leaning over a toilet looking sick]

Sydney: "Something about hating laps..."
    EDIT: Found it.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2023-10-26 at 10:14 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Bolded actually happened. Paraphrase cuz it's been awhile and the exact wording escapes me:

EDIT: Found it.
    Yeah I know they have done it, my point was mainly you cant do it too much or else they wont want to re-up and now you are down a super powered soldier capable of intergalactic flight and nuking kilometers of desert into glass.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Alright I'm done. I tried giving Dave so much benefit of the doubt, tried to interpret the mechanics of this in the most generous way that I could. But what the ****ing actual ****ing **** is this ****. A "just what I needed aura"... ****ING REALLY! This has managed to land in the most vile way it could have, and the bit about how the only possible reason anyone could be mad is because Earth are all still a bunch of sexist prudes is the maraschino cherry of absolute incompetence and failure on top of this whipped excrement pie.

27. - Top - End - #57

SamuraiGuy

The solution to mind control is more mind control! Why didn't I think of that?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground

The solution to mind control is more mind control! Why didn't I think of that?
    Ever tried fighting fire with fire? It sucks at actively putting out a fire, but small controlled fires are a widely accepted measure of wildfire/forest fire damage control.

Same thing here. A mind control accident happened, and it threatens the integrity of the team.* Using more subtle mind control to reduce the fallout is a viable solution, and beats a number of possible alternatives.

* - and also threatens to pull the whole fantasy story into a direction full of disgusting real-world matters, but that's beside the actual point
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    * - and also threatens to pull the whole fantasy story into a direction full of disgusting real-world matters, but that's beside the actual point
    No, no. No. Here and now, it kind of is the point.

30. - Top - End - #60

SamuraiGuy

We also now have to consider that evidently a succubus' power increases with experience but has a native ability start point, and that Parfait has a lot of native ability but little experience while Dabbler has less native ability but more experience.

And that their mother has more experience than Dabbler and possibly more native ability than Parfait. Which means that if Mom comes in through the front door disguised as a mortal and then triggers full lust aura, full strength - it's going to be way more effective than Parfait. As in plausibly, or even probably, people would continue coupling even if every alarm in the building was going off full force and they could actually see bad guys with weapons entering the building. How much more powerful is someone with centuries of experience and incredible native power going to be than Parfait? Oh, and also it's evidently possible to build amplifiers for the aura, just in case Mom needs help.

This is mind control. And it's mind control, Pathfinder rules, where a natural 20 on their save moves someone from "critical fail" to "fail", not to success. That is, quite possibly Mom has a lust aura with a save DC of 99 and no one in the building has a modifier to their Will save of more than +40. Oh you rolled a 20? That's cute. Your 60 still fails by 39. You get one round to do one simple thing that is within easy reach before you have to roll again.

So we've now got a plot hole the size of Mount Everest, and the ongoing "let's create dungeons so we can have magic potions" plot means giving Dabbler the ability to create even more powerful potions - of healing, great. Of mind control, not so great. Remember the Book of Vile Darkness? Remember Mind Rape? Ever see the problems that can pose for a DM, when the Emperor is now the wizard's puppet? Do you want to find out what Deus would do with a potion of mind control?