New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Bel's RHoD: Chapter 1 [IC]

Telrayel was a bit confused by the statements of the people around him. They could just take they're things and go. They had some beautiful wilderness around that could support them probably for months and surely they had some plantsingers that could make them some housing, seeing that they had a lot of buildings around.

Michaels statement cut through the confusion somewhat and dropped a name the elf didn't knew.

Telrayel wasn't the best with people but even he could see that the gathered people around here seemed very distressed, if they couldn't help themselves and were so emotionally hurt by what happened around them it seemed prudent to help. He lay'd a hand on Michael's shoulder to get his attention.

Don't you think these people need help immediately Michael? Reporting to someone higher would probably take time and I can't transform into an eagle to get there.

The elf took a step forward an outstretched hand on his heart.

I see you are afraid, if I can lift that fear from you, I'll help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Michael thinks a bit to formulate the answer precisely. "I don't know whether these people need help immediately, whatever time frame that is. I can report to Brindol in less than one day if we plan to do so, and getting help here might take upwards of a week, anyway not under three days, so more immediate than that is... us here? I'd rather learn what we are dealing with before I decide if that's going to work." That should about say it all or... well, Michael decides to leave this open in case he's missed something. "I mean, if you have alternative plans to propose that you think will succeed, I'm all ears."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Any that has seen an Orc blush, could easily realise why the similarly green Ringel seems more blue than green as she tries not to bump into too much of the furniture as she moves over to the others mumbling another Sorry. towards the Speaker's annoyed face. Embarrasment does give way to wide-eyed alarm as the man speaks on, nevertheless. This has been going on for a while now, then? That's bad. Really bad. Lord Burne's plan gets a nod from her, and Telrayel's sudden outburst, a smile and a squeeze on the Elf's shoulder. Lord Burne's right, Telrayel. That's… A lot for the few of us to handle. she says soothingly, even though her own nervosity does get around to ooze through, easily sensed by any that pays attention. Though I really don't like this. she glances at the captain. I mean, how large are we even talking, as the size of tribes go? The only real obstacle around the Ferry beyond Terrelton's smell is just the river! And that's west. We came from the east and still ended up wading neck deep in Goblinfolk. she points out. Either way, I have no more deliveries for the week. I'll stick with you for now, Master Speaker, see if I can help. And if the Lord of Brindol can help. Of course. I take it you have a way to alert them without one of us running all the way back, Lord Burne? she tilts her head to a side. She sure couldn't reach Brindol in just a day. Not even Knight Novalis could, probably, with that weird not-horse of his.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"I mean, yeah, it'd be a more thorough report to your lord if we actually see what's out there for ourselves, right?" Tanna-Mai said with some awkwardness. Not that she was suited for any sort of frontal assault herself, but the idea of brushing the town's obvious concern/request/plea/ohdeargodsPLEASEhelpus off so brusquely left her feeling rather sick to her stomach.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thorough, right." - confirms Michael to Tanna-Mai - "Not quite sure what has to be seen at the moment, but I intend to capture and interrogate the dead guy's boss for a start and see what we learn at that point. Might or might not work, but if I can get a solid enough team for that, like of most of you, I'd be optimistic."

"The messaging... well, it's a bit complicated. Here's how it goes..."

Michael proceeds to explain it in detail. There is a druidic spell, called Traveler's Mount, that makes overland movement about 2.5 to 3 times faster. Then there is another druidic spell, named Animal Messenger, that makes a tiny animal from a place to a place, potentially carrying something. The distance between Drellin's Ferry and Brindol is about 110 miles straight. A hawk or a carrier pigeon, under those two spells, has travel speed of 16 miles per hour and can reach Brindol in 7 hours. This means getting 7 hours of Traveler's Mount, which could be problematic without metamagic or a highly-competent druid, but even 6 hours of Traveler's Mount gets the bird there fairly reliably in one day. Anything under that is a coin toss. Michael can write to be hit with a Sending if necessary, to confirm and update on the message, but that will happen next morning and is better reserved for when the stakes are high. If we have to deliver the message there in under one day, and act on it without delay, Michael can carry it himself, then virtually any amount of Traveler's Mount will do and the whole trip will take about five hours and a half.

In the end, the following two things also become clear to everyone: first, Michael has not thought of it here on the spot, it more feels like some standard procedure; second, he apparently did mean it telling it has to be planned for, and, likely, paid for.
    Last edited by u-b; 2023-11-23 at 02:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Ringel progressively narrows her eyes, her head locked in its previous tilted position as the noble's explanation goes on and on. Is he also a Druid, now? Coul he actually turn into an eagle, then? Or turn Telrayel into one? Both would make cool eagles, admittedly. Tanna's more hawk, probably, on the other hand. And Knight Novalis… Maybe a vulture? Ringel's always liked vultures. They look interesting and rid the fields of rotting things and that's… Most likely entirely irrelevant ot the situation. Hopefully irrelevant, even. Either way, she elects not to share her thoughts.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Mainhem swirled inside Novalis' head,

This is how it starts, dissension and divide, small lives are snuffed while the lofty lords wait in their halls.

He bowed deeply to Soranna and Winston.

The threa of fate has brought me here, there's a promise of violence and an omen of death. I may be here to die besides you, if Istus wishes it so it be.

There's no higher authority than fate.

He listened to Michael's druidsplanning absentmindedly and nodded in agreement to Tana Mai's words.

What there is to report is too little right now. Do as your chain of command demands of you, Michael, but neither of us has sworn to the authorities you have sworn, and Tana Mai is right. The need for assistance is much more immediate. What would you have us do? Lady Sorana, Lord Winston?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

In the barracks, the air is thick with tension and urgency. Captain Soranna stands firmly, "Listen up," she begins, her voice a blend of authority and resolve. "We're facin' a crisis 'ere. These hobgoblins, they're organized, dangerous, and they're increasin' in number. We need to know their strength, who's leadin' 'em, and what they're plannin'. Any information you can gather is vital. If you can disrupt their ranks or take out their leaders, it'll be a massive blow to their forces."

Speaker Wiston, steps forward with a grave expression. "This situation's critical. Our town, our people are on the edge. Continuin' raids could be disastrous, not just for Drellin's Ferry but for the whole region. We need your courage and your skills now more than anythin'. Time's against us. Immediate actions to protect our people and keep the Dawn Way safe are crucial."

His gaze, sincere and earnest, sweeps over the group. "We might not 'ave the resources of bigger cities, but we've got spirit in spades. I'll do all I can to back your efforts. Need local knowledge, resources, manpower? You've only got to ask."

The discussion in the barracks takes a significant turn as Captain Soranna addresses the letters she received. She adjusts her stance, emphasizing the importance of the new information.

"Right, there's more to this letter than just yer standard inheritance claim," Soranna explains. "It states here that the deed to Vraath Keep is part of the inheritance. The family claiming it says they were bequeathed it by a dwarf clan, who apparently built the Keep for a local lord way back when."

Wiston, leaning forward with renewed interest, interjects, "Vraath Keep, eh? That's an interesting piece of our history, but it's been long abandoned. If this claim holds true, it could change a few things around here."

Soranna continues, "Now, this might be more than a coincidence. Our scout, Jorr, who's unfortunately not 'ere right now, has reported some movement around Vraath Keep in the past few days. Could be something or nothing, but it's worth noting given the current circumstances."

Wiston nods in agreement, his expression contemplative. "This is intriguing. Vraath Keep has been nothing but ruins for years, but if there's activity there now, especially given our current situation with the hobgoblins, it might be a good place to start looking into things. It's a bit of a trek, but it could hold some answers, or at least clues, to what we're facing."

He looks around at the group, his gaze lingering on each person. "If you're willing to investigate Vraath Keep, it might shed light on these hobgoblin raids, or at the very least, help us understand the significance of this inheritance claim. It's a solid lead, and we could really use your help in getting to the bottom of this."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Michael has no objections against exploring Vraath Keep heading out tomorrow morning, that seems a reasonable enough lead. He wants it pointed on the map and preferably given a copy of the map, but if Jor's been there that also would do. Michael asks for the following resources:
    1. Traveler's Mount spell allocated with the local druid Avarthel to be cast on request.
    2. Animal Messenger spell allocated with the local druid Avarthel to be cast on request.
    3. Two pigeons or, preferably, wild hawks, to be held ready for dispatch.
    4. Owl's Wisdom spell cast tomorrow morning by the local cleric.
    5. Optionally, war-related goods exchanged between the town and the group if the town feels like it. We have enough equipment for a small band of men in case the town wants it. We can sell the stuff commercially, but if the town is to buy it from the merchant the very next day, we can split merchant's share between us instead.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

The keep is as good as any place to start looking, especially if new activity has been spotted there. If only the keep was in a better state of repair...Sharess would not mind setting up home base in an old fortress. Her mind drifts a bit with images of a shiny new/old fortress until she hears Michael's list of requests. She is both impressed and bemused by the offer to sell the town battle gear at a slightly higher rate. She nudges Michael gently and whispers, "I ah, can help with your negotiations if you would like some assistance."

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Sharess has a Diplomacy of 12 if Michael requests assistance on that selling bit or any other requests.

Speaking more loudly, "I need to confirm with my compatriots, but I think we are up to the task. Captain Soranna, I think Michael's request or some other means of communication might be in order to send word to us fast in case you are raided. I am sure you and your troops will be adequate to defend the town, but if things get out of hand we would not want to leave you alone."

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    5. Optionally, war-related goods exchanged between the town and the group if the town feels like it. We have enough equipment for a small band of men in case the town wants it. We can sell the stuff commercially, but if the town is to buy it from the merchant the very next day, we can split merchant's share between us instead.
    Ringel leans closer to the noble, rubbing her own neck nervously. Lord Burne? I've been to this local smith, a very respectable Dwarf person, name's Morlin, Morlin Coalhewer. Sorry about that. Should have told you right off the bat. But, um, as it is, I'd take it as a personal favour if we could at least show him some of the wargear recovered. He can probably tell its worth and value and whatnot, and I'd feel very silly if we just let him down.

Still, that the man has finally acquiesced to the requests of the locals is nothing she's not happy about. She'd hate to split from this Michael Burne, but she'd really, really want to be back on the road, and seeing how Knight Novalis and Telrayel seem willing to just go, whatever the Lords of Brindol think… She straightens up. I'm good to go whenever. she proclaims for the benefit of the Speaker and captain. And if we can have this Jorr of yours a new face: always a boon! all the better. she nods, very earnestly. There's oing to be a trip and she gets to help people. Meet some, even. That's not the worst thing that could happen, given what's going down. Too bad about that poor family, though. Suddenly getting a keep sounds good enough. Getting a keep full of warlike Goblinfolk… Not so much.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Tanna-Mai perked up at the mention of the keep. Could be all sorts of goodies and secrets lyin' in there! And that could keep the Ruby Goddess (not to mention herself) happy for a spell or two.

"Anything we need to know about the history of the Keep ahead of time? Like, who was this local lord?"
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2023-11-29 at 10:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Ringel looks at Tanna-Mai and shrugs. I mean, they don't live there anymore. she points out most astutely, before it'd click. Her gaze snaps back at the Ferry's dignitaries. Wait, why don't they live there anymore? Not those people, of course. A family extinguishing without heirs is reason enough, right? But… I don't know, other people. Lawful ownership issues? Upkeep costs?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Telrayel was a bit befuddled by Michaels academic almost mathematical approach to spellcasting. It felt way too unmystical to him and he couldn't help but meakly ask.

Michael... I don't know but could they... I mean the army, catch your messenger? Would you know if they did?

Regarding the keep Telrayel was happy that they could be on the road again tomorrow and seeing a new forest and it's guardian was always a good thing. Several people were asking questions about the Keep but for Telrayel something different was more interesting.

You said it isn't a standard claim? Who is the new owner of that keep? Would the new owner like to accompany us to see that his surprising guests are well acquainted?

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Michael does not respond to the whispers just yet, but he does respond to the question, again, as if quoting from a set of known facts. "The interception is possible and does sometimes happen. Normally, archery is not very effective outside of immediate vicinity depending on the bird's actual altitude and flight path. Magic is more reliable, but more expensive and less widely available. The most practical way is to use birds of prey, but first they tend not to attack other birds of prey, which is one reason why I am preferring the falcons, and second it still requires a deliberate effort to disrupt that form of communication, which is not necessarily already in place. If they just reenact an ambush like we have been through, the bird's chances should be quite good. In any case, we would not be sure of delivery until we get a response, and we might choose not to send a bird with clearly secret information. We can choose an appropriate delivery method once we come up with the message, I'd say, as these are not independent from one another."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

In the barracks, as the adventurers present their plans and queries, Captain Soranna and Speaker Wiston listen attentively, each processing the information in their respective, characteristic ways.

Captain Soranna, maintaining her professional demeanor, nods at Michael's requests. "Your preparations seem thorough. We can certainly arrange for Avarthel to be on standby for those spells. As for the equipment, the town could indeed benefit from additional arms. This could bolster our defenses significantly."

She continues, with a hint of skepticism in her professional demeanor, addressing the issue of purchasing the recovered equipment. "However, while we appreciate the offer of arms and armor, we must be prudent with our resources. Paying full price might be a stretch for the town's coffers. Let's have Morlin evaluate the goods first, and then we can discuss a fair price. We need to balance our immediate defense needs with our financial realities."

Speaker Wiston, speaking with a rustic accent, adds, "Vraath Keep, eh? Aye, it's been abandoned for a long stretch. Interesting that it's come up now. As for its new owner, that'd be Miss Ringel here, according to the claim. It's a curious development, especially with the recent activity reported there. As for Jorr, our local scout, his cabin is located in the Witchwood. Head east out of town, follow the Dawn Way, then take the north trail at the split. His place is a fair hike from there, but he knows these woods better than anyone."

He then addresses Tanna-Mai's question, "The Keep's history is a bit murky. It was built by a dwarf clan for a local lord, long ago. Why it was abandoned, well, that's lost to time. Could be anything from a fallen family line to too costly to maintain."

Turning to Telrayel, Wiston acknowledges the concern about message interception. "It's a valid point, but as Michael said, we can mitigate the risks. Ensuring the message gets through safely is paramount."

Soranna interjects, "And if you're heading to the Keep, be cautious. It's been untouched for years, and who knows what's taken residence there now. If there's hobgoblin activity, it could be dangerous."

Wiston concludes, "We appreciate your willingness to investigate. It's vital we understand what we're up against. And Michael, your approach to communication is prudent. We'll support you in ensuring your messages reach Brindol safely."

Spoiler
    Show

Ready to head out tomorrow morning, or are there more questions?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

"I will request a full evaluation of all the stuff, by Morlin or otherwise, even if you don't plan to buy the more expensive things, like magical swords that are there. I think Sharess and Ringel will discuss the details of your picks when we are back to town." With that, Michael is ready to conclude the meeting.

18. - Top - End - #48

Ringel manages, if with some difficulty, to turn a loud sigh of relief into a somewhat less loud sigh of relief as her concerns regarding her promise to Morlin are swiftly alleviated. She didn't expect to get quite as lucky as that; could it be that Soranna has just as good an ear? After all, she did pick up her words whispered to Telrayel when they first met. She must be a good person, then, at any… What? her head suddenly perks up in alarm as Wiston pronounces her own name. I don't… I think… What? is there another Ringel in the room? It can't be that common a name. She's an Ogre! Npobody looks like… Is this the Morlin situation all over again? She's so confused.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With everything seemingly cleared up Telrayel pats Ringel on the shoulder. He didn't really understand what having a keep entails, but most people like to get stuff.

Congratulations Ringel, I didn't knew you had folk around here, that could give you a keep. Telrayel then excuses himself and try's to get a nice place outside the town to get away from the rustling and bustling, making sure that he enters the town again when the sun goes up.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I was sure there was a Survival check to get shelter but by taking 10 I get a solid 20 I guess that should be enough to get shelter for a night.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Novalis

Then it is decided. We will move in the morrow towards Varath's Keep. I think I have read the name in some chronicle. But words have a tendency to mix up in my head

He had little interest in the commerce of weapons. His trusty sword was ancient and well kept.

You mentioned a scout before, How long ago did he leave to Varath's Keep?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Soranna nods in agreement, recognizing the prudence in getting an accurate appraisal of the equipment.

Speaker Wiston answers Novalis' question, "Jorr left a couple of days ago. He knows the area well and was supposed to report any unusual activity. We should hear back from him soon, but your visit to the Keep might coincide with his return." he pauses and smiles slightly "Be warned about Jor, he brooks no nonsense, and can be....gruff sometimes."

As the meeting in the barracks draws to a close, Speaker Wiston and Captain Soranna stand up, signaling the end of the discussion. Wiston addresses the group with a tone of finality, his rustic accent emphasizing his words.

"Thank you all for your willingness to help Drellin's Ferry in these troubling times," Wiston says. "Your skills and bravery are much appreciated. We must now attend to other matters of the town, but if you need anything further, don't hesitate to ask."

Captain Soranna, maintaining her professional demeanor, adds, "We've got a lot of preparations to make and defenses to bolster. Your efforts in investigating Vraath Keep and gathering intelligence on the hobgoblin threat are crucial. We're counting on you."

Wiston then offers some suggestions for accommodations. "As for a place to rest for the night, you've got a few options around town. The Old Bridge Inn is the largest and offers comfortable rooms and good food. The Green Apple Inn is a bit smaller, but it's cozy and well-regarded for its hospitality. For those who prefer to be closer to nature, there are camping spots on the town's outskirts. And of course, there are several boarding houses if you're looking for something more economical."

Captain Soranna nods in agreement. "Rest well tonight. You'll need your strength for what lies ahead. We'll be here at the first light to provide any last-minute assistance before you set out."

With that, Speaker Wiston and Captain Soranna take their leave, exiting the barracks and leaving the group to discuss their plans and preparations for the night.Telrayel quickly finds a rather nice location to bed down by the river, a small inlet was made and it caused the water to burble in a gentle relaxing manner, the river reeds made for some good bedding, and the sky was clear with little notion of rain.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Back at The Old Bridge Inn Michael has something to eat and fills one page of his journal with today's events. Not in too much detail, just making sure to mention the most important ones and the things that will help him remember the rest. Then he goes to bed. He sleeps well and maybe wakes up with some ideas about what to check for or be wary of when at the keep*.

He wakes up early as usual. The first thing he does is casting a spell**, Channeled Divine Shield, extended to last the whole day. Then he casts Divine Insight. He is not sure that one will last through to Vraath Keep, but maybe it will. Then he prays to Wee Jas. There is not much actual news that would be of interest to the goddess, and he expects no news in return. The spells he prepares today are a bit different than yesterday, but not terribly so. He then has a quick breakfast and goes to visit the designated corpse, where he casts Owl's Wisdom on himself and Speak With Dead on the corpse and asks the following questions having the local cleric as a witness and to help understand what the corpse might say:

"Where is your immediate superior most likely to be?"***
    "Who is your ultimate superior?"
    "What will probably happen if things go as your side has planned?"

Spoiler
    Show
    *Invoking a night dream of Bearer of Ominous Insight.
    **Assuming a cleric, unlike a wizard, can cast-then-prepare just fine.
    ***The questions would be all in Goblin.

Speak With Dead negated by Will DC 18.
    Last edited by u-b; 2023-12-05 at 12:57 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Not any less flustered than before Ringel manages to trod back to the forge to see if she can relay the good news to Morlin, but doesn't really feel much strength left in her to do a lot more than that. Though somewhat more cost-averse than the noble, she decides not to do a full Telrayel and break away from their own personal figure of authority, settling into a room at the Old Bridge. Not that the comfort of the room is doing much for hers. She spends much of the night furiously rolling from one side to another. Whatever is she going to do with a full keep sitting in an active warzone?? Not that there aren't implications to the whole business she likes even less.

As the dawn breaks, she rises early to wash herself and then just shuffle about the common areas in and around the inn, waiting for a good opportunity to ambush her best shot of someone to talk to, who happens to be none other than the likely unsuspectig Tanna-Mai. When she shows, Ringel (if not consciously,) is quick to try for an absent, but arresting hug from behind. Tanna? Can we talk? the Eneko asks quite sheepishly. I wouldn't bother you, but Lord Burne looks really busy and the Elf is weird and Knight Novalis even weirder, and neither of them is here anyhow and I don't think I ever exchanged two words with this Sharess person, and I realy need to make sense of things. What do you make of this whole Keep business? she finally blurts out. I've never owned a shack before. And it's probably full of Goblinfolk or weirder. Not to mention that… I'm not my whole family! How's my mother and father even figure into this? Why'd this inheritance deal skip them? Are they even alright? I can't just go back to the Gap now.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Novalis goes back to the temple, the myriad voices in his head rumbling restless. Mainhem and Exhaustion are specially cruel this ominous night. He prances around the small cell he was allowed to use for shelter watching the dusk settle and the moon rise through the tiny window. He recites old rhymes and poems to push the intrusive voices but tonight nothing is working.
    He finally moves through the dark temple and finds a prayer book left by brother Derry for him to work on and lits a candle and starts illuminating the empty spaces on top of each chapter.

He spends the nigh like that, crouched over the praying book, humming to himself, waving off the haunting voices.

When the morning comes he walsk outside and washes carfully on cold water before calling on his shadowy armor. Mainhem is not speaking so much now, but Exhaustion will be his companion for the day.

He moves as in a dream looking for his companions.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Ooooh, one thing at a time, all right?" Tanna-Mai blinked at the word salad emanating from Ringel. "I get it -- it's, like, a sudden weird thing! Didya maybe save someone's life earlier? Maybe you saved some former member of this keep that ya didn't know about from, like, I dunno, mind flayers or somethin'? And they, like, decided to gift you this place after they croaked in gratitude?" Stuff like that always seemed to happen in drunken bard ballads.

"OOOOH!" Tanna-Mai's eyes widened suddenly. "Or maybe! Maybe, like, does yer family have, like, any enemies or bitter rivals? Like, this is all just a way to TRAP you in order to get revenge!"

Suddenly, this upcoming trip to the Keep was looking a LOT more fun....

26. - Top - End - #56

Ringel slowly and carefully puts Tanna-Mai down. Was that supposed to make her feel better? Well, it ultimately did either way. That's two oddly reasonable ways in which her parents might be perfectly safe, plus somebody's actually talking to her, instead of just bestowing weird ruined building upon her and then leave the room like that was a normal thing to do. She goes with a Thank you, Tanna! That's… Possible, I suppose? They'll have to hit the tracks and find out. That still doesn't sound that bad. And she's not alone. Traps ae way less scary that way. …what's a mind-flayer, though?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Yes, it's a lift people kind of ambush hug, and Tanna-Mai in full gear is well within light load for her. Ringel's big!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-12-07 at 01:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Telrayel rested really well, took a little bath in the river and then after having succesfully woken up he walks a bit around the village, when coming near one inn there was a lot of commotion there, perhaps even a bit of screaming.

The elf decided to not get himself involved in that too much, rounds another corner and finds Novalis. He goes towards him, waving, then looks at him from head to toe. You look terrible! You're sure you want to come with us today?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 1
    Weather: Overcast with morning fog
    Time: Morning

As Michael sits in the quiet of The Old Bridge Inn, focusing on the task at hand, he casts Speak With Dead on the corpse of the cleric The air grows still as the magic takes effect, and the corpse shudders into a semblance of life, its eyes opening to reveal a vacant gaze that stairs at you like a puppet.

With the local cleric standing by, Michael asks his questions, his voice steady in the eerie silence of the room:

"Where is your immediate superior most likely to be?"
    The corps responds in a hollow, distant voice. "In the hills to the north, near the Wyrmsmoke Mountains. There is a camp."

"Who is your ultimate superior?"
    The answer comes, chilling in its simplicity. "Wyrmlord Saarvith, a servant of the Red Hand."

"What will probably happen if things go as your side has planned?"
    Zarr's corpse answers with a tone that sends shivers down the spine. "Drellin's Ferry will fall, and then Terrelton, and then Nimon's Gap, and then Talar, and then Brindol, we will wash over this place like a swarm of insects gnawing at the bones of your civilization."

The local cleric, witnessing this, looks gravely concerned. "This confirms our fears," he murmurs. "The threat is greater than we anticipated. We must act swiftly."

~~~

The speaker Wiston meets you at the barracks in the morning, Captain Sorrana is not with him.

"If you're going to be wandering around in the Witchwood, I would advise you to seek out Jor. You can't find someone who knows the woods better. His cabin is out of the way, but it could be worth the walk. If you take the Witch Trail, go left at the first big trail crossing; Jorr's cabin is about seven miles in. Or, if you're on the Dawn Way, take a right on a trail about nine miles from the forest edge. Jorr's cabin is near the Blackwater."

With that, he nods at each of you with a grimace-smile, and then departs, presumably about his town business for the day.

Where do you go?
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-12-11 at 11:13 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Michael scribes the questions and the answers in his journal and maybe also on some sheet of paper for the cleric, in both cases including exact words in Goblin and their best translation to Common.

"I advise you don't panic, but have the local leadership informed and make a plan to evacuate the settlement. If the goblins expect Brindol to fall to their forces, you won't be able to hold them on your own. It is unclear if we can get enough forces here to assist you. I'll try to learn more and be back soon, you probably should not start the evacuation until I report in and confirm the findings. If I am not back in two days, then sure go ahead and also have Brindol informed."

Then Michael goes to The Old Bridge Inn to ask Kellin whether he should expect Jor coming to town.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 1
    Weather: Overcast with morning fog
    Time: Morning

After meticulously recording the questions and answers in both his journal and on a separate sheet for the cleric, Michael shares his advice regarding the potential threat.

The local cleric nods gravely at Michael's words. "I'll inform Speaker Wiston right away," he assures him. "As for evacuation, that's a big decision. We'll need to discuss it with the town's leadership. I'm not sure what the plan would be, but your advice will be taken seriously."

With this crucial information passed on, Michael heads to The Old Bridge Inn to find Kellin. Upon asking about Jorr, Kellin blinks in confusion before responding.

"Jorr? Well, the only thing you can really expect from Jorr is that he'll do what's best for Jorr," Kellin says with a slight chuckle. "He's a bit of a lone wolf, if you know what I mean. But yeah, Speaker Wiston mentioned you might be lookin' for him. If I were you, I'd go find him myself. He knows these parts better than anyone. Could be useful for what you're plannin'."

Kellin's advice seems practical, and it's clear that seeking out Jorr could provide valuable insights, especially given the recent discoveries and the looming threat to Drellin's Ferry.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-12-11 at 11:12 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A