New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: Bel's RHoD: Chapter 1 [IC]

"Umm, could we kinda get an official notice or somethin' that we can give to Jorr if we do find him? Like, to let him know we're workin' on behalf of the town?" asked Tanna-Mai.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Wiston stops and turns to listen to Tanna-Mai's question, "Uh a notice? Ummm, no not really, we're a small town with little resources, just tell him I sent you, that should be enough."
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-12-11 at 02:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    "Umm, could we kinda get an official notice or somethin' that we can give to Jorr if we do find him? Like, to let him know we're workin' on behalf of the town?" asked Tanna-Mai.
    Oh. That's… something half their assembled lot does for a living: pass on written notes! Ringel livens up for a moment, happy to hear mention of a task she's actually qualified to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Wiston stops and turns to listen to Tann-Mai's question, "Uh a notice? Ummm, no not really, we're a small town with little resources, just tell him I sent you, that should be enough."
    …something we're not actually doing, then. I guess. she deflates somewhat. So, she looks around, nevertheless, smiling at the others to get the spirits (chiefly hers, admittedly) higher let's hit that road? A proper road she can properly hit should be good for her now.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-12-11 at 02:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Novalis is not his usual loquacious self today. He summons his shadow steed, the beast forming from the faint shades of everyone around. He mounts as Ringel suggests to part. He nods from atop the saddle.

West to the keep. I’d take the main road. Swiftness is a better ally than Stealth in days like these.

He held the reigns, dreamy, ready to go.
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2023-12-12 at 03:34 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Eventually Michael catches up with the others and is ready to go. As for the exact plan, he advises we take the carriage to speed up our travel along the road, but don't take it to the forest as this is likely not to end well. Instead, Michael advices we take the Dawn Way and stop when the trail leading into the Witchwood starts. Then Michael, and optionally Novalis, quickly fly over the trail to Jorr's cabin to see if he is even there. If he's there, it would be some time until we get him to the Dawn Way, but we can still reach the Vraath Kepp before it starts getting dark.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Then we will go, thanks for explaining the way for us.

Telrayel strides along the others, if possible he keeps that weird scouting pattern around the party that he had before. Sometimes choosing to ride a bit on the cart till his feet get restless enough to let him jump off and continue on the dawn way by foot.

Spoiler: Some rolls
    Show
    Survival: (1d20+10)[21] To not lose the way when we go to Jorr's hut.
    Spot: (1d20+12)[14]
    Search: (1d20+11)[30] Should it come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Novalis tilts his head as he beliefs he has heard Michael call his name...

Fly? I can't fly, unfortunately, neither can my steed. But If it's a bird's Eye view you need, my sore tired eyes can provide exactly that; though not so far away from were we are going. As we get close, I'll scout ahead from up-above.

In his mind, deep in his mind, Mainhem sang a tune.

The road is long and winding, the keep is lost to time and from the hills came down the hordes to wash away the filth.

8. - Top - End - #68

I think Lord Burne means fly on the Griffon, Knight Novalis. Ringel points out helpfully, rising on her tiptoes without noticing she's doing that. That's a very pretty Griffon. She so wouldn't mind a ride herself! She'd probably be even greener afterwards, and embarrass herself horribly in front of all the people and… And still. That's a very pretty Griffon. And she never flew before!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-12-12 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Not the Green I was looking for.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

"Please excuse my poor choice of words, sir Novalis, I did not quite meant you to fly Limbo, just that you could accompany me without slowing us down and that it should be reasonably safe with your ability to retreat from just about anything." But Michael had to admit that the possibility was indeed there. He takes a moment to guesstimate the peoples' weights, gear included, and that seems reasonably low almost across the board. "In fact, if we rearrange the load a bit, it would be possible to fly any non-giant one of you, but I would prefer not to, as that would require some spellcasting up front before we have Jorr to also benefit from it and I see no pressing need to bring more people to him at the moment."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming normal winged flight is with light load only.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Like, I'm fine with stickin' on the ground for the bein'. Or at least the carriage." Tanna-Mai said with a wink as she pulled herself into the vehicle.

She didn't want to think about how slow things might get if/when they had to leave the roads for the woods.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 1
    Weather: Overcast with morning fog
    Time: Mid-day

As you approach the banks of the Elsir River, the atmosphere of the foggy morning envelops you. The mist hovers above the water, and the overcast sky casts a soft, diffused light over the landscape. It's a serene yet mysterious start to your journey.

At the ferry, you're greeted by the ferryman, Hobb Greenbottle. He's a character straight out of a pastoral tale – stout and ruddy-cheeked, with a mop of unruly hair. His clothing is simple and worn, indicative of a life spent outdoors. With a broad, welcoming grin, he says, "Mornin'! Ready to cross the river, are ye? Name's Hobb, at your service."

His accent is unique, his words spoken with a cheerful lilt. He affectionately pats the ferry, a sturdy vessel named 'Bessie', and assures you of a safe crossing. "Don't mind the fog, Bessie and I know these waters like the back of our hand."

As the ferry glides smoothly across the river, Hobb begins to regale you with a tale about the Elsir River. "This river's seen more history than most towns," he starts. "Years ago, it was a bustling trade route. Merchants, travelers, adventurers – you name it, they've crossed these waters. There's a tale about a band of heroes who once ferried across, chasing after a group of bandits who'd stolen a sacred relic. They say a fierce battle ensued right on these waters, under the light of a full moon. The heroes emerged victorious, and the relic was returned to its rightful place. Since then, folks say the river's been blessed. Good fortune to those who travel upon it."

The tale adds an air of legend to your crossing, making the journey feel like a passage through history. Once you reach the opposite bank and disembark, bidding farewell to Hobb, you set out along the Dawn Way. The road winds through the Vale, flanked by rolling hills and patches of dense woodland.

Eventually, the path diverges to the right, leading towards Jorr's cabin in the Witchwood. The forest path narrows, enveloped by the thick foliage of towering trees. The sounds of the forest come alive around you, creating a symphony of natural life that accompanies your steps deeper into the woods.

Spoiler
    Show

Fork in the road, continue right to Jorrs cabin or straight onwards the Dawn Way?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Michael lands near the forest path and waits for the carriage. "So, shall I go get him?"

13. - Top - End - #73

Ringel, currently just running along the carriage anyhow, trots over to the noble mounted on the big lionbird and extends an absent hand to try and stroke the Griffon. The big guy might be a little more likely to just bite her arm off than she'd like, but she really can't not at least try. It's not being small enough to be given a go at flying, but Ringel's well accustomed to finding joy in small victories. Yes, please! she tells Michael in the meantime; it's a pity she didn't get to chat with Hobb some more. Hobb's a nice fellow. Maybe Jor's a nice fellow too. It'd be all too fitting: this is a really nice forest, after all, even with the chance of being jumped by a thousand Goblinfolk… Speaking of which. Are you sure you want to go alone, Lord Burne? she tilts her head somewhat. I'm very sure I could do better than sit on a road for all that time, and it sounds like the woods are rather busy these days.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-12-16 at 03:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

It has not occured to Michael that he could not want to go alone, but then again, the trail is not easily observable, so that might be problematic. Michael considers the options. Meanwhile, Limbo seems to enjoy being patted. "He is not some animal and can well understand us speak. You can ask him stuff and he will nod or shake head. Right, boy?" The boy nods and extends the neck to Ringel seemingly anticipating more pats. "You can scratch him around short feathers, just not the flight ones." Now, back to business. "It would be difficult for me to stick to the trail from above, but easy to evade any goblins. The other way around for people on the ground. I don't object if any or all of you go, just not with this wheeled thing."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

On the ferry, Novalis gazes at the water with deep focus, Sorrow murmuring in his head a tune of drowned loves and Undine chants, princes sunk below the waters, he barely pays any attention to the Hobb Greenbottle's story, and as they leave the ferry he looks at him apologetically as if missing out the story was a personal offence.

The day spun into something nice, but Novalis rode too fatigued, becoming easily irritated despite himself. This irritated him further: he didn't like treating other people with disdain or arrogance. Instead, he spurred his mount a bit to be always ahead; that way, he didn't risk snapping at any of his companions.

He briefly stopped at the fork in the yellow road. He indicated his intention to proceed towards Jorr's cabin to the others with a wave of his hand just as Michael took off.

Spoiler: Spot and effects
    Show

Spot
    (1d20+14)[30]

Novalis The Fateful
    M N Tiefling Harbinger 6//Shadowcaster 2 (VoP), Level 6, Init 4, HP 60/60, Speed 50
    AC 21, Touch 15, Flat-footed 21, Fort 8, Ref 2, Will 12, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Longsword (Any Longsword) +11 (1d8+6, 19-20x2)
    Sword on Maneuvers from Scarlet Throne +13 (1d8+8, 19-20x2)
    Longspear (Any Spear) +11 (1d8+5, x2)
    Chainshirt (Force Armor Refluff)*** (+5 Armor, +1 Deflect, +1 Natural, +4 Misc)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 22, Wis 9, Cha 9
    Condition Fatigued (-2 dex and str)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Soooooo..." Tanna-Mai shot a look towards Ringel and the griffin, then towards the others. "...should we, like, go with them or babysit the carriage?"

Tanna-Mai had some talent when it came to the fine art of Being Stealthy (at least, her ego felt so), even if she wasn't a "woodsy" sort. But more people following after meant more risk of NOT Being Stealthy...

...but there were all these hobgoblins warbands lurking about...

...so, if they did follow after, they'd have to take some time to at least hide the carriage if they left it on this main road...

...and then there was also the risk that Michael would do his Poncy Lord Schtick and piss off the veteran scout who could potentially help them just by opening his mouth and orderingsaying Poncy Lord Things.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    It has not occured to Michael that he could not want to go alone, but then again, the trail is not easily observable, so that might be problematic. Michael considers the options. Meanwhile, Limbo seems to enjoy being patted. "He is not some animal and can well understand us speak. You can ask him stuff and he will nod or shake head. Right, boy?" The boy nods and extends the neck to Ringel seemingly anticipating more pats. "You can scratch him around short feathers, just not the flight ones."
    Understood, Lord Burne, Sir! No touching the big feathers. Those are the flight ones, right, Ringel wonders, beaming with the peak luminosity a green Ogre can achieve, handing out all the pats and scratches. Do squawk if you tire of me, big bird! she adds, for Limbo's benefit. She… Is unlikely to tire of it anytime soon herself.

Now, back to business. "It would be difficult for me to stick to the trail from above, but easy to evade any goblins. The other way around for people on the ground. I don't object if any or all of you go, just not with this wheeled thing."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    "Soooooo..." Tanna-Mai shot a look towards Ringel and the griffin, then towards the others. "...should we, like, go with them or babysit the carriage?"
    Ringel pauses for a moment to shrug, albeit not as noncommittally as shrugs tend to go. All I'm asking is that we maybe don't break up into four groups. This is a big forest. Plenty of room for plenty of Goblins. she voices her only concern. The risk that Knight Novalis might just fall off his weird shadow horse while speeding through the woods, seemingly half asleep as he is, does enter into that at well, now that she thinks about it.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

------------Crossing the river--------------

When crossing the stream Telrayel listens attentively towards the story, with one hand in the water to feel the river, when leaving the boat he adresses Hobb.

I thank you for the story Hobb, mind telling us what kind of relic was rescued if you recall the tale?

------------Towards Jorr's cabin------------------

Telrayel doesn't hesitate when he meets the group again and straight goes towards the path towards Jorrs cabin, he stops himself.

I'll go fetch him.

And continues his merry way, not at all slowed down by all the roots and the underbrush, without even leaving a single sign of him crossing. If he can just move that effortlessly through the forest or if the plants even slightly move out of the way to grant him easier passage is not discernible.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Continue towards Jorrs cabin, with Flawless Stride Telrayel doesn't get slowed down in the slightest and doesn't even leave a single track. Kinda creepy.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

19. - Top - End - #79

Ringel blinks at the cold empty space where the Elf was a heartbeat earlier. Five groups. I was going to mean five groups. she corrects herself.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

"Take care. Don't be afreid to run away!" says Michael and gets ready to wait. At least, he trusts people to know what they are doing.

"I've had that dead hobgoblin questioned in the presence of the cleric." Michael pulls out his journal and hands it over for people to read, open at the relevant page. "The guy hadn't mentioned the keep, but I still somehow feel that the keep is important. We will find something there, no idea what that would be."

Limbo squints.

21. - Top - End - #81

Maybe it's the camp thing, Lord Burne? Ringel wonders, a hand still in Limbo's feathers, content that they are apparently not splitting up any further into groups yet smaller. The Wyrmsmokes are not that far and I'd absolutely put a keep on a hill. she explains. The implication that the heap of stones that's apparently hers might have a literal army within… Is not something she'd like to think too much about. And… Maybe it's not that bad as the dead guy says? I mean, I'd like to have a million friends and walk the Giantshields and the northern plains and the sea and whatever's off to the west of the Vale and fly (that must be very nice, isn't it so, Limbo?) and… It's not really important what else, so much as how I'm not really in a position to do so right now, you know? she nods to herself a couple of times. One can hope, anyhow. she shrugs once more, with slightly more conviction than earlier. But! Speaking of friends… Do we know anything about this Jorr person? It just… Occurred to me that he better not be a difficult person. the Eneko chuckles lightly. We just let Knight Novalis and Telrayel go do the talking, I mean.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-12-21 at 12:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

"The dead guy might have been fed a picture that is too optimistic, so I have told the cleric not to start evacuating the whole town right away. We'll have to check it one way or another. I would be happy if we refute this as false." Though somehow Michael doubts it. As for Jorr... "I've been to Drellin's Ferry a few times and heard of him, but never met him. Not too unusual as far as woodsmen go..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Know (local): (1d20+5)[18] so what does Michael know about Jorr?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 1

Jorr's Cabin

The trail leads past a small cabin in a deep forest glade. A ramshackle front porch is littered with fishing baskets and skinning frames. The cabin overlooks a dark bayou or lake, with old gray cedar-trees draped in moss rising out of the water. An old skiff is tied up on the shore nearby, and a little smoke curls from the fieldstone chimney.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-01-03 at 01:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Telrayel stops when he sees the cabin. He liked it. It seems comely and quiet. Like a good place to retreat too.

He let the place calm him for a moment.

If there is nothing that should dissuade him Telrayel would go towards the cabin and knock.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Novaris dismounts as Telrayel approaches the cabin. The exhausted knight sets his sights in the surroundings.

Dearest elf he addresses Telrayel Be mindful of the smoke. May it be that Jorr does not want to be surprised while having breakfast. I wouldn't sneak on a woodsman brave enough and skilled enough to live out here by himself. It could be a better idea to just announce our presence.

He walks toward the cabin, weapons sheathed, holding the shadow steed by its shadowy steers.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Telrayel looks a bit surprised at Novalis. Humans were pretty weird, first they wanted him to knock, definitely, not just go into the house, even if Telrayel didn't see a problem with it, now he should shout out and disrupt the tranquility?

Well Novalis would probably know better than himself.

Hello, Jorr? You want to come out? We search a keep that one of us has inherited and don't know the way, would you lead us, please?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 1

You approach the small cabin, and just as you speak, three large hunting dogs spring out from under the porch of the cabin, barking loudly for all to hear. A shutter swings open in the cabin,' revealing a rugged, weather-beaten face. His eyes, sharp and assessing, quickly scan over you and your companions.

"Who the **** are you, and what the in the god damned hell do you want?" he growls in a gravelly voice tinged with irritation and suspicion. He steps out onto the porch, his posture casual but exuding a quiet confidence. The air around him suggests a life of hard-won survival skills, both as a woodsman and a scout.

This man, unmistakably Jorr, appears as someone who has little patience for nonsense and a tongue that's unafraid to express it. His attire, practical and worn, fits his rugged lifestyle. The hunting dogs, having quieted down, remain on alert, their stance protective as they stand near him, their eyes intently focused on you.

Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-01-08 at 06:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Novalis stopped dead on his tracks and flinched visibly...

And that so lamely and unfashionable
    That dogs bark at me as I halt by them;

It's not that he disliked dogs, more that dogs utterly despised the Tiefling.

His voice became a trembling thread, barely audible through the barking and Jorr's booming voice.

We come with a message from Soranna and the authorities of Dellin Ferry... looking for Jorr. I'm guessing that's you

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

DAY 1

Jorr's Cabin

Jor scrunches up his face and spits to the side. "I aint got no business with them, why are you looking for me?"

The Dawn Way

As you wait on the Dawn Way for the others to finish their meeting with Jorr, Henrick, your companion for this part of the journey, provides a bit of local color. He's the epitome of a country bumpkin, his speech pattern a charming jumble of rural colloquialisms and mangled syntax that can be endearing and confusing in equal measure.

Scratching his head, Henrick looks over at you with a friendly, if somewhat goofy, grin. "Well, reckon y'all might be peckish 'bout now, eh? Tummy rumblin' like a ol' bear in spring, I'd wager," he says, his accent thick and his grammar a bit of a tangled web.

He rummages through a worn satchel, producing what looks like a somewhat squashed, yet still appetizing, piece of homemade pie. "Ma's apple pie, nothin' finer 'round these parts. Go on, 'ave a bit. Keeps the spirits up, it does!" He offers the pie with a wide, earnest smile, clearly proud of this humble offering.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-01-08 at 06:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Michael is quite eager to have some apple pie. "Oh, thanks, Henrick." He grabs a waterskin from the carriage and hands it over to everyone needing some drink with the pie. Biting his share of the pie, Michael finds it quite good and says that much. While he is no stranger to haute cuisine, Michael much more of a fan of having good stuff to eat when and where he's present than some fancier stuff when and where he's not.