New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    It's better than the average state flag because it's not blue
    Spoiler: Pictured: the average state flag
    Show

If you want a cool state flag, it seems like the thing that does you most good is a border with Mexico. Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California - those are the most memorable and beautiful state flags. California loses points for writing the name, but it's still memorable.
    Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico all have great designs. California, not so much.

Also, while Alabama's flag is incredibly boring (and also the description is ridiculous, since there's a saltire that is exactly what our flag is, but our flag is officially a different saltire with the colors changed. Because Alabama is ****ing stupid), there once was a very similar flag (that our current one is derived from) flown over Alabama during Spanish rule which was much better designed. The Cross of Burgundy.

Spoiler: I maintain Alabama should change its flag back to this
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Just rewatched the CGP flag tier list video yesterday, this discussion is timely. For the record, my top contender is a tie between New Mexico and Alaska.

More states need to lean into the redesign. Blue flag with pointlessly detailed seal in the center is so last century.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Just rewatched the CGP flag tier list video yesterday, this discussion is timely. For the record, my top contender is a tie between New Mexico and Alaska.

More states need to lean into the redesign. Blue flag with pointlessly detailed seal in the center is so last century.
    Not the century before that?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Not the century before that?
    That one, too!

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

One advantage of the needlessly complicated state seal on a blue field as a flag is that it guarantees that only a bona fide state agency would fly it. For example, you aren't going to see even the most patriotic New Yorkers flying the New York state flag, so if you are looking for the DMV, the flag is a much better clue.

6. - Top - End - #336

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    One advantage of the needlessly complicated state seal on a blue field as a flag is that it guarantees that only a bona fide state agency would fly it. For example, you aren't going to see even the most patriotic New Yorkers flying the New York state flag, so if you are looking for the DMV, the flag is a much better clue.
    I'd argue that most people don't fly their state flags regardless of design.

Also,Texans are weird about Texas.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Firbolg in the Playground

Plenty of people fly the USA's national flag and that's needlessly complicated

EDIT:
    or at least needlessly cluttered
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-04-21 at 01:11 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you want a cool state flag, it seems like the thing that does you most good is a border with Mexico. Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California - those are the most memorable and beautiful state flags. California loses points for writing the name, but it's still memorable.
    One thing about the California state flag is that every time I see it, the first thing I do is look at the bear and count its heads.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SerTabris View Post
    One thing about the California state flag is that every time I see it, the first thing I do is look at the bear and count its heads.
    Good to know I'm not alone in this. I think actually saw the NCR version first and was a little surprised to realize it was based on a real flag.

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Good to know I'm not alone in this. I think actually saw the NCR version first and was a little surprised to realize it was based on a real flag.
    Same here.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

11. - Top - End - #341
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm guessing you are talking about some entity from a game, and not National Cash Register.

I suppose a better search would turn it up, but then this wouldn't be a hot take.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm guessing you are talking about some entity from a game, and not National Cash Register.

I suppose a better search would turn it up, but then this wouldn't be a hot take.
    Indeed, the New California Republic from Fallout uses the California flag, except with an extra head on the bear (I'm not sure if the Fallout series ever has any two-headed bears, though they do have two-headed cows, at least).

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the two-headed bear is stylized even in-series, the mutated bears in Fallout (Yao Guai) are a helluva lot uglier and meaner than the one on that flag.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Plenty of people fly the USA's national flag and that's needlessly complicated

EDIT:
    or at least needlessly cluttered
    "Cluttered" is fair, but at least it's distinct. "Complicated" to me means that, if you asked me to sketch it, I would struggle to remember all its constituent parts. With the USA flag, the overall "structure" of the flag is pretty easy to recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Yeah, the two-headed bear is stylized even in-series, the mutated bears in Fallout (Yao Guai) are a helluva lot uglier and meaner than the one on that flag.
    Dang, I'm getting Yao Guai flashbacks now. I'd genuinely forgot they were in the series -- they get pretty outshone by the Deathclaws. But Yao Guais are a force all of their own!
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-04-22 at 12:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Dang, I'm getting Yao Guai flashbacks now. I'd genuinely forgot they were in the series -- they get pretty outshone by the Deathclaws. But Yao Guais are a force all of their own!
    Yeah, I mostly remember the one you have to fight while high on some hallucinogen in Honest Hearts. I think it might be that the yao guai don't really have much of an identity, they're just weird looking bears. Or maybe the deathclaws just win by seniority, my strongest memories of them are pretty much all from Fallout 1 and 2 (and maybe Tactics, which I have kind of a soft spot for despite being uneven at best).

16. - Top - End - #346

"Cluttered" is fair, but at least it's distinct. "Complicated" to me means that, if you asked me to sketch it, I would struggle to remember all its constituent parts. With the USA flag, the overall "structure" of the flag is pretty easy to recall.
    Consider Canada's flag versus Mexico's flag. I can recognize either fairly easily, but if you ask me to draw either I will have a much easier time with Canada's than Mexico's. The bear flag is fairly easy to decribe and draw. New Mexico also has a straightforward flag. The US flag is a pain to draw completely, but the symbolism involved is simple to remember and easy to describe.

Many US states could follow the example of Utah and replace their super complicated flags with simpler designs. Utah used to follow the pack of "seal on a blue background". It recently changed it to the state symbol (a beehive in a hexagon) on a red, white, and blue background (with the stripes not being straight lines) and one other star. It is complicated enough to be distinct while being simple enough to be drawable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

I don't care if it's drawable, I want it to be interesting. The French flag is easy to draw, and that's a big part of why it sucks ass.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Consider Canada's flag versus Mexico's flag. I can recognize either fairly easily, but if you ask me to draw either I will have a much easier time with Canada's than Mexico's. The bear flag is fairly easy to decribe and draw. New Mexico also has a straightforward flag. The US flag is a pain to draw completely, but the symbolism involved is simple to remember and easy to describe.

Many US states could follow the example of Utah and replace their super complicated flags with simpler designs. Utah used to follow the pack of "seal on a blue background". It recently changed it to the state symbol (a beehive in a hexagon) on a red, white, and blue background (with the stripes not being straight lines) and one other star. It is complicated enough to be distinct while being simple enough to be drawable.
    The Mexican flag has a very straightforward, not to say boring, design until you get to the middle. Then suddenly it gets super intricate and basically impossible to draw.

But changing flags isn't as easy as it sounds. We in New Zealand went through this process in 2015-16. First there was a competition to design a new flag, then a referendum to pick the best design, and finally a second referendum to decide whether to switch from the old flag to the winner of the first referendum. Which felt like a lot of voting, but I think was the correct way to do it.

After all that, the second referendum voted not to change. But possibly only because this design hadn't even made it into step 2:

Spoiler
    Show

"None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

19. - Top - End - #349
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't care if it's drawable, I want it to be interesting. The French flag is easy to draw, and that's a big part of why it sucks ass.
    Not casting Vicious Mockery in this thread, please, thank you.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    Not casting Vicious Mockery in this thread, please, thank you.
    Look I got nothing against ya but you can't pretend like the epitome of flag design is just stacking three colors on top of each other. France isn't the only country guilty of this but it's always the first one that comes to my mind.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, if we removed all flags that are three bars of colors on top of or next to each other and all the ones that's just a cross with a background there wouldn't be a lot of them left, at least not in Europe. (Personally, I think it's kinda funny that the legend behind the Swedish flag is that a king saw a golden cross against the blue sky... when it's extremely obvious that it's just a palette swap of the way older Danish flag ).

There's also not a lot of creativity in color choices. How many flags are red, white and blue or some combination there of?
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-04-23 at 02:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground

Look I got nothing against ya but you can't pretend like the epitome of flag design is just stacking three colors on top of each other. France isn't the only country guilty of this but it's always the first one that comes to my mind.
    That was tongue-in-cheek. I only care about flags as an occasion to make fun of each other and have no strong feelings one way or the other. I actually just learned from Wikipedia that the blue of the French flag was made lighter in 1974 to match the flag of the European Union and apparently we're reverting to a darker hue.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

23. - Top - End - #353

Don't worry: once they asexuals conquer Denmark the Danish will have the best national flag.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354

Time for a new completely inconsequential hot take.

The rhyme "divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived" is about only two women, one of whom possessed magical powers.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-04-25 at 10:59 AM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Time for a new completely inconsequential hot take.

The rhyme "divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived" is about only two women, one of whom possessed magical powers.
    If we're introducing magic into the "setting", why stop at two women? How about just one woman, who went through a really bad mid-life breakup but she got better?

Related: we saw the school version of SIX a few weekends ago and it was fantastic. The show is awesome to see live. It was a little strange to see teenagers singing about something as scandalous as Henry VIII's romantic pursuits: Katherine Howard's song is especially suggestive and the student version doesn't pull many punches, which definitely made the audience uncomfortable. However, that's unfortunately true to life -- and if anything, the performer was too old to play Katherine Howard. She was approximately sixteen when she married Henry, who was 49 at the time.

This forum needs a puking face emoji.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-04-25 at 12:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356

If we're introducing magic into the "setting", why stop at two women? How about just one woman, who went through a really bad mid-life breakup but she got better?
    Because the rhyme doesn't contain "revived". OBVIOUSLY.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Because the rhyme doesn't contain "revived". OBVIOUSLY.
    Consider: lichdom.

28. - Top - End - #358

Consider: lichdom.
    Spoiler
    Show