New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    (Pet peeve: there's no such thing as a historical Dracula; our boy Vlad is merely the namesake of his family, and even then, Stoker inherited a corrupt form for that from his sources (the proper variant would've been Dracul ('the Devil'), where the -l is the fancy en****ic definite article in Romanian). The commonly held theory regarding the identity of the two has virtually zero taxtual basis in the novel or Stoker's notes.)
    Aye. The average person who reads Dracula knows more about Vlad Tepes than Stoker did. It's a fun theory, like Darth Jar Jar or Evil Tom Bombadil, but that's about all it is.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

(Pet peeve: there's no such thing as a historical Dracula; our boy Vlad is merely the namesake of his family, and even then, Stoker inherited a corrupt form for that from his sources (the proper variant would've been Dracul ('the Devil'), where the -l is the fancy en****ic definite article in Romanian). The commonly held theory regarding the identity of the two has virtually zero taxtual basis in the novel or Stoker's notes.)
    OK, I don't speak Romanian and haven't studied the history, but I do have a book here (Dracula: Prince of Many Faces) by Radu R Florescu and Raymond T McNalley, who say:
    ... Vlad was called "Dracul" by the boyars, who knew of his honor, because he was a Draconist, a member of the Order of the Dragon (draco in Latin), dedicated to fighting Turks and heretics. On the other hand, the people at large, unfamiliar with the details of Vlad's investiture in the order, seeing a dragon on his shield, and later on his coins, called him "Dracul" with the meaning of "Devil", because in Orthodox iconography [...] the dragon symbolized the devil. [...] The name Dracula, immortalized by Bram Stoker, was later adopted, or rather inherited, by Dracul's son. Dracula, with the a, is simply a diminutive, meaning "son of the dragon". Evil implications were attached to the name only much later by Dracula's political detractors, who exploited its double meaning. That the family did not consider the epithet in any way offensive is proven by the fact that they consistently adopted it, that Dracula signed letters by that title...
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #603

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    OK, I don't speak Romanian and haven't studied the history, but I do have a book here (Dracula: Prince of Many Faces) by Radu R Florescu and Raymond T McNalley, who say:
    Vlad "The Impaler" Tepes, also known as Dracula ("son of Dracul") is undisputedly the origin for the name Dracula and the general region setting the book starts in (Vlad was prince of Wallachia, not Transylvania, though both are now modern-day Romania).

That's pretty much it, as far as inspiration goes.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-06-11 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Typo correction

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Vlad "The Impaler" Tepes, also known as Dracul ("son of Dracul") is undisputedly the origin for the name Dracula and the general region setting the book starts in (Vlad was prince of Wallachia, not Transylvania, though both are now modern-day Romania).

OK, there's a possible confusion between Vlad Dracul (Vlad II) and his son, Vlad Dracula (Vlad III) of Wallachia. It is Vlad III who was called 'Tepes' ("Impaler"), and whose ruthlessness made him stand out even by the bloody standards of the 15th century, and it's he who is called "Dracula", with the "-a" suffix. So there's no mistake there.

My assumption is that he styles himself "Count" because - it's a noble title, exalted enough to command respect, explains the fact that he's rich and lives in a freaking castle, but not important enough to raise awkward questions about his background (which calling himself "Voivode" or "Prince" certainly would).

And he did spend a lot of his life in Transylvania, mostly trying to drum up support to drive the Ottomans out of Wallachia. He eventually led an army across the Danube to invade what was then considered part of the Ottoman homeland, an event referenced both by Dracula himself (in chapter III) and later by Van Helsing (chapter XVIII). So I'm really not sure what you're getting at with this "no historical Dracula" thing.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

5. - Top - End - #605

OK, there's a possible confusion between Vlad Dracul (Vlad II) and his son, Vlad Dracula (Vlad III) of Wallachia. It is Vlad III who was called 'Tepes' ("Impaler"), and whose ruthlessness made him stand out even by the bloody standards of the 15th century, and it's he who is called "Dracula", with the "-a" suffix. So there's no mistake there.

My assumption is that he styles himself "Count" because - it's a noble title, exalted enough to command respect, explains the fact that he's rich and lives in a freaking castle, but not important enough to raise awkward questions about his background (which calling himself "Voivode" or "Prince" certainly would).

And he did spend a lot of his life in Transylvania, mostly trying to drum up support to drive the Ottomans out of Wallachia. He eventually led an army across the Danube to invade what was then considered part of the Ottoman homeland, an event referenced both by Dracula himself (in chapter III) and later by Van Helsing (chapter XVIII). So I'm really not sure what you're getting at with this "no historical Dracula" thing.
    I can help clear things up!

There is another book authored (in part, for obvious reasons) by Bram Stoker. It is called Bram Stoker's Notes for Dracula: A Facsimile Edition. In this book, Vlad Tepes is mentioned in exactly two passages:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Stoker's personal notes on Dracula
    Their VOIVODE (DRACULA) crossed Danube and attacked Turkish troops. Only momentary success. Mahomet drove him back to Wallachia where pursued and defeated him. The VOIVODE escaped into Hungary and the Sultan caused his brother Bladus received in his place. He made treaty with Bladus binding Wallachians to perpetual tribute and laid the foundations of that slavery not yet abolished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Stoker's personal notes on Dracula
    DRACULA in Wallachian language means DEVIL. Wallachians were accustomed to give it as a surname to any person who rendered himself conspicuous by courage, cruel actions or cunning.
    The second passage is a bit less obvious, but the connection is still clear. Also, notably, these passages were not written by Bram Stoker. They are excerpts from another book, An Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: With Various Political Observations Relating to Them, by William Wilkerson, a consul to Wallachia and Moldavia in 1813. This was one of several books that Bram Stoker took notes on while writing Dracula, who was originally called Count Wampyr from Hungary, meaning even the title of nobility and the Eastern European setting preceded the final product of taking inspiration from Vlad Tepes. Given that the excerpts above are the full extent of the notes Stoker took on Vlad Tepes, it is highly likely that this was all that Stoker knew about Vlad (or, at the very least, cared to note), and I feel safe in saying:
    Vlad "The Impaler" Tepes, also known as Dracula ("son of Dracul") is undisputedly the origin for the name Dracula and the general region setting the book starts in (Vlad was prince of Wallachia, not Transylvania, though both are now modern-day Romania).

ETA: Also, just noticed I originally wrote '"Vlad "The Impaler" Tepes, also known as Dracul ("son of Dracul")' accidentally putting "Dracul" twice, but I think that within the context of everything it's pretty clear that the first instance should have been "Dracula". Still, sorry for any confusion that typo may have caused.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-06-11 at 07:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hrm. If a Romanian guys says that, I'll believe him. Romanian does have, like, a million different diminutive suffixes (I believe it's a contact feature from Slavic languages).

I can help clear things up!

There is another book authored (in part, for obvious reasons) by Bram Stoker. It is called Bram Stoker's Notes for Dracula: A Facsimile Edition. In this book, Vlad Tepes is mentioned in exactly two passages:

The second passage is a bit less obvious, but the connection is still clear. Also, notably, these passages were not written by Bram Stoker. They are excerpts from another book, An Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: With Various Political Observations Relating to Them, by William Wilkerson, a consul to Wallachia and Moldavia in 1813. This was one of several books that Bram Stoker took notes on while writing Dracula, who was originally called Count Wampyr from Hungary, meaning even the title of nobility and the Eastern European setting preceded the final product of taking inspiration from Vlad Tepes. Given that the excerpts above are the full extent of the notes Stoker took on Vlad Tepes, it is highly likely that this was all that Stoker knew about Vlad (or, at the very least, cared to note), and I feel safe in saying:

ETA: Also, just noticed I originally wrote '"Vlad "The Impaler" Tepes, also known as Dracul ("son of Dracul")' accidentally putting "Dracul" twice, but I think that within the context of everything it's pretty clear that the first instance should have been "Dracula". Still, sorry for any confusion that typo may have caused.
    Precisely, with one correction. The ridiculously named Count Wampyr is not from Hungary. He's a vampire count from Styria. With all the mildly eroticised exsanguination of young women he has going, I'm sure that rings bells, but I'll spell it out regardless: he wasn't inspired by "the legendary cruelty of Vlad III" Stoker didn't even know about; he is, and has always been, really just a heterosexual male Carmilla relocated somewhat further east sometime during the writing process, and propped up by some research into actual vampire folklore. So much for inspirations.

As for the rest, I can only reiterate things more concisely: Dracula is a Székely Count hailing from old Transylvanian nobility and residing in northeastern Transylvania; Vlad the Impaler was a Romanian ruler of Wallachia (a country that never had Count as a title for nobility) who did have estates in southern Transylvania (although Stoer didn't know about that), but has never been that far north his whole life. Implying this means Stoker intended the two to be the same is either tantamount to saying he deliberately changed everything he knew about Vlad in the process (which makes them being identical a suspect conclusion); or to saying that Stoker was too dumb to understand his own notes, which is rather offensive.

Lastly, as for the ominous two loci in the novel, yes, there is a grand total of a sentence in dracula's family backstory copied verbatim from what Mr. Lee quoted above, but nobody (least of all Dracula) ever says or implies that's his story. What Arminius/Van Helsing theorize about is his next sentence, about a much later descendant of the guy loosely based on Wilkerson's sketch on Vlad. With the same breath, you could claim Dracula is Attila the Hun, who he also explicitly says he is descended from.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-06-12 at 05:07 AM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

It is a little funny that Stoker basically did to history what many later authors would do to his story (grab some cool parts and make most of it up). Granted, it's a rather obvious difference that Stoker didn't claim to write a history book while most Dracula adaptations do in fact claim to adapt Dracula.

And like I mentioned in relation to some previous Meta rant about Dracula, I do feel like Frankenstein has been done just as dirty by adaptations if not more, though that might just be because I think it's the better book.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-06-12 at 05:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #608

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    It is a little funny that Stoker basically did to history what many later authors would do to his story (grab some cool parts and make most of it up). Granted, it's a rather obvious difference that Stoker didn't claim to write a history book while most Dracula adaptations do in fact claim to adapt Dracula.
    Seeing how Stoker just took a cool-sounding name and applied it to a character who has virtually nothing to do with its original bearer… I wish the adaptations went so far.

And like I mentioned in relation to some previous Meta rant about Dracula, I do feel like Frankenstein has been done just as dirty by adaptations if not more,
    And I'll grant you that much once more (because seriously, they can't even remember who's called what in those!),

though that might just be because I think it's the better book.
    but not that. I'm an ardent technophobe and Dracula is obviously better too.

9. - Top - End - #609

Precisely, with one correction. The ridiculously named Count Wampyr is not from Hungary. He's a vampire count from Styria.
    Bah! I think it being Austria-Hungary at the time made me think modern Hungary instead of modern Austria, but after a quick checkup, that gives us a really fun fact! The capital of Styria is Graz, the birthplace and hometown of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Meaning Dracula could have sounded less like "I vant to suck your blood" and more like "Get to the choppah!"

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

he is, and has always been, really just a heterosexual male Carmilla relocated somewhat further east sometime during the writing process, and propped up by some research into actual vampire folklore.
    Well, he's into women. Whether he's heterosexual is a bit more of an open question

11. - Top - End - #611

Bah! I think it being Austria-Hungary at the time made me think modern Hungary instead of modern Austria,
    The Dual Monarchy really was the oddest of all ducks! (Fun fact: if one struck out to the north from Castle Dracula and crossed the mountains, one'd have found oneself in the Austrian half of the Monarchy; going east would've led to Bukovina, which was also in the Austrian half of the Monarchy; not too far to the south, we have the source of the river Olt – following that all the way south/southwest, and crossing the Carpathians in that direction, sticking to the right bank, one'd end up in Oltenia, which was also under Austrian rule at some point (albeit only briefly, and before the Dual Monarchy, let alone Stoker's time).

Freakin' Austria was everywhere! (Except, oddly, the west; the bits of Austria to the west were rather far away from the Borgo Pass.))

but after a quick checkup, that gives us a really fun fact! The capital of Styria is Graz, the birthplace and hometown of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Meaning Dracula could have sounded less like "I vant to suck your blood" and more like "Get to the choppah!"
    You kid, but as someone who I know has read Stoker's notes, I know that you know the original ending was going to have a big machine gun and an even bigger explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mx.Silver View Post
    Well, he's into women. Whether he's heterosexual is a bit more of an open question
    Hrm. I mean, he does insist Jonathan is his and his alone…

12. - Top - End - #612

Inconsequential hot take:
    Spoiler: This is just the plot of The Karate Kid
    Show

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Inconsequential hot take:

ASMR is not "Comforting" or "Relaxing", it's unsettling, uncomfortable, and weird.

Why TF are you cutting sand with scissors? Why are you talking so weird, get away from me, that's weird, you sound like something that clearly isn't human trying to pretend to be human.

Why are you just pouring molten glass on a lead bar? that makes no sense! If you're making something make something! if you're not, then don't!

Why are the sounds in this game so emphasized!? that's incredibly uncomfortable, i don't need to hear every individual leaf rustling here, that is way too loud!

Stop ticking your tongue so close to the microphone!??? WTF???? i REALLY don't want to hear the sound of your SPIT BUBBLES????

The whole thing just gives me a sense of discomfort and almost nausea, like goosebumps, but in a bad way or something. I will never understand why people do stuff like that, it makes NO sense.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #614
    Bugbear in the Playground

Website logon pages should not put the password input box on a separate page from the username input box, where you reach the password's page by inputting a valid username. This is an inconvenience to people who want to put the password in first because they're using a password manager. Just put the username input and the password input on the same page.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

15. - Top - End - #615

These hot takes are all too consequential. Time to inconsequential it up!

Hot take: The best smell, by far, that emanates from the kitchen is thinly diced onions sweating in butter.

16. - Top - End - #616

These hot takes are all too consequential. Time to inconsequential it up!

Hot take: The best smell, by far, that emanates from the kitchen is thinly diced onions sweating in butter.
    Strong contender!

I'll nominate a really good freshly baked bread though.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Colossus in the Playground

Nah nh nah.

It's the night before Thanksgiving when the pumpkin pies are baking.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #618

Y'all are absolutely allowed to be wrong.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Colossus in the Playground

It is absolutely the smell of freshly baked bread.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Consider: Baked goods
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #621

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Website logon pages should not put the password input box on a separate page from the username input box, where you reach the password's page by inputting a valid username. This is an inconvenience to people who want to put the password in first because they're using a password manager. Just put the username input and the password input on the same page.
    Talk about it. You know what I find worse, though? "Stay logged in" being used as the default option. That's just ******* design. If one will stay logged in, the relevant switched would have to be manually toggled ONCE if it weren't the default, and then promptly forgotten. Done this way? I have to tell them every single freakin' time that no, I don't want to stay logged in. I HATE it.

Butter is disgusting and it smells disgusting, especially when heated.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Freshly baked bread by a long shot.

23. - Top - End - #623

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It is absolutely the smell of freshly baked bread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Consider: Baked goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Freshly baked bread by a long shot.
    Cold takes. Downright tepid, i say!
    Butter is disgusting and it smells disgusting, especially when heated.
    Now this, this is a hot take!

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

You want hot takes on what smells good!?

Gasoline!

New plastic!

Markers!

Glue!

Dusty garages!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #625

Lovecraft didn't spend half of every story talking about himself. Other cthulhu mythos authors shouldn't spend the entire book talking about him either, and the digressions of this sort in stories such as "The Terror from the Depths", "The Discovery of the Ghooric Zone" and "The Dweller in Darkness" detract from versimilitude
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

26. - Top - End - #626

You want hot takes on what smells good!?
    Well, foods, ideally.
    Gasoline!
    My wife agrees!

27. - Top - End - #627

Gasoline!

Markers!

Glue!
    Don't forget Reddi-Wip!
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-06-20 at 05:21 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Don't forget Reddi-Wip!
    Please do.

Petrol and markers... sure, I can see the appeal of those smells. But when it comes from something you're expected to eat... It's time to go back to cooking school.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Breath of the Wild has the worst final boss of any game ever. It would've been better to completely eliminate the Dark Beast Ganon and just end after you defeat the Ganonspider in the castle. It would've been better to do it as a cutscene.

It boggles my mind how a game so fixated on spectacle and the open world -- in a franchise with consistently decent boss fights, no less -- could have the ****ing gall to end on such a cop-out whimper of a boss fight. I'm still seething about it six years after playing it.

You want a hot take? Fine, let's go full-bore flames!

We've been grilling a lot this spring and summer and have exclusively been doing things like the charcoal chimney instead of the traditional lighter fluid. But we had to use lighter fluid most recently due to extenuating circumstances and holy hell does it smell amazing. I'd forgotten how (literally) intoxicating the smell of lighter fluid was. Doesn't help that I also associate it with grilling as a kid before my parents switched to the chimney method too.

Therefore, best kitchen smell is lighter fluid. No reason we have to keep its use limited to outdoors!

30. - Top - End - #630

Breath of the Wild has the worst final boss of any game ever.
    I've never played BotW, but I have played Fable 2.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The game features guns, and many, many enemies, including humans, who require multiple hits/gunshots to be killed.

The boss monologues until you shoot him, once, at which point he dies. Unless you choose to not shoot him and let him continue monologuing. At which point, someone else will shoot him, once, at which point he dies.

You want a hot take? Fine, let's go full-bore flames!

We've been grilling a lot this spring and summer and have exclusively been doing things like the charcoal chimney instead of the traditional lighter fluid. But we had to use lighter fluid most recently due to extenuating circumstances and holy hell does it smell amazing. I'd forgotten how (literally) intoxicating the smell of lighter fluid was. Doesn't help that I also associate it with grilling as a kid before my parents switched to the chimney method too.

Therefore, best kitchen smell is lighter fluid. No reason we have to keep its use limited to outdoors!
    As hot as your grill, I say!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-06-21 at 11:22 AM.