New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Let's see, toothpase? Well your choices are: Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, bubblegum, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, berry, Mint, Mint, Mint, and Mint. And the bubblegum one isn't even a very good toothpaste cleaning-wise.
    Well, there's also Salt. I… Don't recommend that one, though.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

... I don't like Mint! i downright HATE the taste of mint! It is like frozen fire on my tongue! i do not WANT this! Please provide alternatives that don't make me actually want to gag and don't make it feel like I'm filling my mouth with actual acid!
    I understand that in Europe they have toothpaste with a different flavor, since some Europeans will complain that American root beer tastes like toothpaste. To be specific, one Hungarian mathematician made that complaint, so maybe that's only Hungarian toothpaste.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I understand that in Europe they have toothpaste with a different flavor, since some Europeans will complain that American root beer tastes like toothpaste. To be specific, one Hungarian mathematician made that complaint, so maybe that's only Hungarian toothpaste.
    As a European with little love of mint, my experience is pretty similar to Draconi's, at least. Though I can't say I've tried much toothpaste from other countries (clearly a Youtube show waiting to happen) so I can't speak for the entire continent.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

the dental hygiene industry is in DIRE need of new flavors for it's products.

Let's see, toothpase? Well your choices are: Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, bubblegum, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, berry, Mint, Mint, Mint, and Mint. And the bubblegum one isn't even a very good toothpaste cleaning-wise.

Mouthwash? ahh well lets see! our flavor options are: Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Orange, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, and Mint.

And just for fun, Dental floss? Ahh well you see for THOSE we have: Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Mint, Unflavored, Mint, Mint, Mint, and Mint.

... I don't like Mint! i downright HATE the taste of mint! It is like frozen fire on my tongue! i do not WANT this! Please provide alternatives that don't make me actually want to gag and don't make it feel like I'm filling my mouth with actual acid!
    Where do you find orange mouthwash? I've got my torch and pitchfork at the ready ever since Crest ditched their Citrus Splash toothpaste, and i can't find a citrus/orange mouthwash anywhere.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

The brightness settings on the sun when I really just want to take a nap and sleep off a headache are too damn high.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The brightness settings on the sun when I really just want to take a nap and sleep off a headache are too damn high.
    Sleep masks are inexpensive if you can't do/don't like blackout curtains.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    It's not only Hungarian toothpaste. I don't know if we still have it, but for a while we had toothpaste that tasted like root beer in New Zealand. This meant that when we first moved to the US (we were there for four years), root beer tasted like toothpaste to me.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Where do you find orange mouthwash? I've got my torch and pitchfork at the ready ever since Crest ditched their Citrus Splash toothpaste, and i can't find a citrus/orange mouthwash anywhere.
    I'm not going to lie, i don't actually use mouthwash (because it's nothing but mint.) and i have no idea what flavors they have (because its all mint). i just wanted to throw in one random non-mint flavor to show that the variety is extremely low. For all i know, there is no mouthwash that isn't mint flavoured. the orange flavor thing was completely made up on my end, sorry.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2023-11-14 at 11:02 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm not going to lie, i don't actually use mouthwash (because it's nothing but mint.) and i have no idea what flavors they have (because its all mint). i just wanted to throw in one random non-mint flavor to show that the variety is extremely low. For all i know, there is no mouthwash that isn't mint flavoured. the orange flavor thing was completely made up on my end, sorry.
    Original Listerine isn't mint flavored. Pretty horrible, but not mint.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

10. - Top - End - #40

Listeria used to make a Citrus Splash mouthwash that was orange-flavored (and was marketed as being used with the toothpaste i mentioned above) but no longer. I suspect that the dcing of one led to the other.

There's a few brands i use that do have citrus and other fruit flavors but i dont like them as much. Listen also came out eith a lime and coconut mouthwash recently and while i have no idea what it tastes like (beyond "horrible"), i can attest it does not taste like lime and coconut.

I dislike coconut to start with but its better than the other flavors. At least, if it actually tastes like coconut. That doesnt.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Listeria used to make a Citrus Splash mouthwash that was orange-flavored (and was marketed as being used with the toothpaste i mentioned above) but no longer. I suspect that the dcing of one led to the other.

There's a few brands i use that do have citrus and other fruit flavors but i dont like them as much. Listen also came out eith a lime and coconut mouthwash recently and while i have no idea what it tastes like (beyond "horrible"), i can attest it does not taste like lime and coconut.

I dislike coconut to start with but its better than the other flavors. At least, if it actually tastes like coconut. That doesnt.
    For the mouthwashes I suspect it's because mint is one of the few things that sort of tastes ok combined with the alcohol and other flavor components of most mouthwashes. Toothpastes.. you can get boutique toothpastes with other flavors, but most of the time you have to special order those or possibly go shop at more upscale/specialty market stores. Sometimes you can find like mint-vanilla from the big brands which will at least have a much milder mint. I'm guessing there's a lot of focus marketing there where they have determined that customers associate the taste/smell of mint with 'clean' and they think other flavors of toothpaste 'don't work' as well.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I'm guessing there's a lot of focus marketing there where they have determined that customers associate the taste/smell of mint with 'clean' and they think other flavors of toothpaste 'don't work' as well.
    I wonder if humans "naturally" think mint equals freshness or if we've been taught that by all the products using it?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Pine is associated with freshness, but I think it probably tastes worse than mint.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

See if you can find cinnamon. That's the only mint-alternative I've seen in mouthwash.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

A quick Google suggests you should be able to find several alternative flavours for toothpaste. Looking at my local online shop for such things, I can see watermelon, raspberry, banana, blackcurrant, blueberry, bubblegum and vanilla, mostly (apparently) aimed at kids. Also one brand proudly "made with tea tree oil", which doesn't actually say anything about flavouring but I'd like to try it.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    A quick Google suggests you should be able to find several alternative flavours for toothpaste. Looking at my local online shop for such things, I can see watermelon, raspberry, banana, blackcurrant, blueberry, bubblegum and vanilla, mostly (apparently) aimed at kids. Also one brand proudly "made with tea tree oil", which doesn't actually say anything about flavouring but I'd like to try it.
    If you want to know what tea tree oil smells/tastes like I'll give you a hint.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's mint.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    If you want to know what tea tree oil smells/tastes like I'll give you a hint.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's mint.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

if i ever get the power to wipe out one species from the face of the earth, then forget mosquitoes (Which apparently are not spelled at all like they are pronounced), I'm getting rid of Mint.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

if i ever get the power to wipe out one species from the face of the earth, then forget mosquitoes (Which apparently are not spelled at all like they are pronounced), I'm getting rid of Mint.
    Mo-Squi-toes. While the letter Q is a rare beast, it does in fact just make that sound on its own. Its not like Colonel being pronounced with only one L or anything.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Mo-Squi-toes. While the letter Q is a rare beast, it does in fact just make that sound on its own. Its not like Colonel being pronounced with only one L or anything.
    The pronunciation is from thr French "coronel" because the British just refuse to pronounce military ranks like they spelled. See also: "lieutenant".

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait...

It's pronounced as if it means "of or related to a corona" and spelled like it means "of or related to a colon" but in fact it's neither of those things... right?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Wait...

It's pronounced as if it means "of or related to a corona" and spelled like it means "of or related to a colon" but in fact it's neither of those things... right?
    That's not how etymology works.

Also, both words end in -el, not -al.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-11-15 at 08:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Wait...

It's pronounced "kernel" and refers to a military rank.

Except in the state of Kentucky, where a civilian can be granted it as a ceremonial title as was the case of Harland Sanders.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #54

It's pronounced "kernel" and refers to a military rank.

Except in the state of Kentucky, where a civilian can be granted it as a ceremonial title as was the case of Harland Sanders.
    It's pronounced kernel, and it's rhe highest rank in the military!

Also, civilians can't be colonels jn Kentucky. They can be Kentucky Colonels, which is an honor, not a rank.

25. - Top - End - #55

It's pronounced kernel, and it's rhe highest rank in the military!
    ...So... I can only speak for AMerican stuff, but I'm pretty sure that in the Army, the Marine Corps, and the Air Force there are in fact about four or five different kinds of generals all ranked above a colonel, depending on whether or not w're in a position where someone has to be acting with a rank equal to or greater than the highest rank in an allied nations military department.

Like I'm looking it up right now but in America, colonel seems to be consistantly right in the middle when it comes to officers.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #56

...So... I can only speak for AMerican stuff, but I'm pretty sure that in the Army, the Marine Corps, and the Air Force there are in fact about four or five different kinds of generals all ranked above a colonel, depending on whether or not w're in a position where someone has to be acting with a rank equal to or greater than the highest rank in an allied nations military department.

Like I'm looking it up right now but in America, colonel seems to be consistantly right in the middle when it comes to officers.
    Note to self, Rater hasn't seen The Office.

27. - Top - End - #57

Note to self, Rater hasn't seen The Office.
    Hot take: the Office is pretty much the dumbest TV show in the last 20 years.

The proper way to interpret your comment re: Colonels is that Generals are not actually in the military.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Hot take: the Office is pretty much the dumbest TV show in the last 20 years.
    What do you think of the original British version?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The proper way to interpret your comment re: Colonels is that Generals are not actually in the military.
    I would interpret it as "Colonels are way more important than generals". Which from the regular soldier's POV, is probably about right.

A general isn't likely to know your name or face. The colonel of your regiment probably does know you personally to some extent, and very likely has an opinion about you.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

30. - Top - End - #60

From what little I've personally seen the British The Office is better than the American The Office but that's a pretty low bar.

Also, hot take: Excercie bikes should have real seats instead of bike seats, and definitely should not have handlebars; nobody needs to steer an exercise bike
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)