New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    If it comes down to it, I also don't understand the appeal of a drink that you have to order half an hour ahead of time
    You don't, you are again just making it wrong. Heat your water (it does not need to be to boiling; boiling is too hot). Steep tea for ~5 minutes. Add stuff to taste or drink plain.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Ok, that's fair, but I still don't understand the appeal of black coffee. You can certainly make coffee taste good, but it's going to be some combination of cream, sugar, Bailey's, and/or reddi-whip doing the heavy lifting
    There's no point arguing about tastes, if you don't like coffee then that's - you, good luck to you, we all have our quirks. But if you add all that nonsense to it, there's no drink you can reasonably call "coffee" remaining. At most it's coffee-flavoured.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    You don't, you are again just making it wrong. Heat your water (it does not need to be to boiling; boiling is too hot). Steep tea for ~5 minutes. Add stuff to taste or drink plain.
    If the water is more than ten seconds past boiling, it's not hot enough. (The action of boiling dissipates heat very quickly.) If you serve it in a reasonable sized cup, it should be at a drinkable (edit: sippable, not gulpable) temperature in about five minutes.

Some people, such as my brother, being crazy, make it in a pint mug. Then it takes considerably longer to cool.
    Last edited by veti; 2023-12-15 at 06:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    There's no point arguing about tastes, if you don't like coffee then that's - you, good luck to you, we all have our quirks. But if you add all that nonsense to it, there's no drink you can reasonably call "coffee" remaining. At most it's coffee-flavoured.
    There's levels to coffee quality for sure. My personal experience:

Really good coffee - tastes good black, tastes really bad if you put ANYTHING in it, it's weird.
    Good coffee - decent black but better with a bit of milk; doesn't like anything sugary added to it, somehow makes the aftertaste way more bitter
    Average coffee - undrinkable black, good with milk, perfect for any sweet coffee drink like a Vietnamese coffee
    Bad coffee - is bad

I keep a couple of different "qualities" in my pantry for just this reason. Folger's is great if I want something sweet, better quality stuff for other different moods.

If the water is more than ten seconds past boiling, it's not hot enough. (The action of boiling dissipates heat very quickly.) If you serve it in a reasonable sized cup, it should be at a drinkable (edit: sippable, not gulpable) temperature in about five minutes.

Some people, such as my brother, being crazy, make it in a pint mug. Then it takes considerably longer to cool.
    Interesting. I was always taught to bring the water to a light (not rolling) boil or just before and assumed it was because by the time it boiled it would be too hot. Didn't know it was the other way around lol.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2023-12-15 at 06:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Don't get lemonade in England or Australia.
    I grew up in a mix of citrus, avocado, and olive orchards (as in driveway was a farm track) in a volcanic ash basin so the well water was filtered nicely already....so lemonade in the UK is not really worse in comparison. I am deeply spoilt in this manner.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    I grew up in a mix of citrus, avocado, and olive orchards (as in driveway was a farm track) in a volcanic ash basin so the well water was filtered nicely already....so lemonade in the UK is not really worse in comparison. I am deeply spoilt in this manner.
    So the joke here isnif you go to England and order a lemonade, you get a Sprite.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So the joke here isnif you go to England and order a lemonade, you get a Sprite.
    My grandmother would have knocked anyone who did that to her about the head with her cane. Then again her lemon tree swas at one end of the victory garden that was still going into 1993 in Slough of all places. Crap weedy lemons but still

7. - Top - End - #127

My grandmother would have knocked anyone who did that to her about the head with her cane. Then again her lemon tree swas at one end of the victory garden that was still going into 1993 in Slough of all places. Crap weedy lemons but still
    Werner Hogg Slough? Hometown of Foregone Conclusion?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As in home of the UK Office, and the movie 'An Education'
    Yeah spent a fair amount of time there as a wee flumph

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I guess in a literal sense, but only because the titan Azeroth would be up and about and doing evil stuff.
    the titan Azeroth is evil? I thought she was more of a good-aligned character.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

As in home of the UK Office, and the movie 'An Education'
    Damned autocorrect. I meant to type Wernham Hogg, the company in the UK Office. And Foregone Conclusion is the bad David Brent was in, and which the UK Office final episode/movie David Brent: Life on the Road focused
    Yeah spent a fair amount of time there as a wee flumph
    I'm sorry.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-12-15 at 09:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    the titan Azeroth is evil? I thought she was more of a good-aligned character.
    The old gods were trying to corrupt her. Without the titans intervention, they would have succeeded.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The old gods were trying to corrupt her. Without the titans intervention, they would have succeeded.
    ahh okay.

Well maybe the Trolls would have inadvertently stopped it. pretty sure they were narrowly winning that fight.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Don't get lemonade in England or Australia.
    I believe you hve made a typo. Let me fix that for you:

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    Don't get in England or Australia.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I believe you hve made a typo. Let me fix that for you:
    aaaAAAAAAaaaaaathe French!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

I really feel like there should be a hard line between "Criticism" and "Insults".

One is saying "this thing you did is not to my taste for [x reason], the other is saying "you suck" while providing nothing of substance.

If you want something you say to be viewed as Criticism, you should A: Not insult the individual, B: Point out what part of their work you dislike, and C: Offer any amount of guidance or idea as to how what you dislike could be mitigated.

"I wasn't a fan of this video, you relied too much on the dissolve effect, there was a lot of background noise, and the subjects you covered weren't interesting to me. Perhaps you should try and expand your editing skills, looking into audio filters, and look into [X topic] instead?" is criticism.

"Your vids suck bro" is you being a dinkhead.

They are not the same.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I really feel like there should be a hard line between "Criticism" and "Insults".

One is saying "this thing you did is not to my taste for [x reason], the other is saying "you suck" while providing nothing of substance.

If you want something you say to be viewed as Criticism, you should A: Not insult the individual, B: Point out what part of their work you dislike, and C: Offer any amount of guidance or idea as to how what you dislike could be mitigated.

"I wasn't a fan of this video, you relied too much on the dissolve effect, there was a lot of background noise, and the subjects you covered weren't interesting to me. Perhaps you should try and expand your editing skills, looking into audio filters, and look into [X topic] instead?" is criticism.

"Your vids suck bro" is you being a dinkhead.

They are not the same.
    Indeed. And sometimes the latter can masquerade as the former if you put enough pseudo-intellectual language on your insults or couch them in "critique" language.

I took part in a theatre festival recently where audience members are allowed to post reviews and boy howdy let me tell you, the general public's opinion of the artistic process1 is worth about as much as a fart in a hurricane to me. Most people don't know how to provide meaningful critique, so they latch on to things they liked and decide those were good, and things that weren't to their personal tastes are bad. And that's the ones who are earnestly trying to give good feedback: the worst ones are the jerks who are clearly just there to tear down anything if they think it'll make them look smarter.

Honest critics, who have experience critiquing, are a lot better at approaching the work in the right mindset -- i.e. "what did the creator set out to accomplish, and in my opinion, did they achieve that goal?" Ideally you can trust them to set aside their personal taste (or at least acknowledge when taste is causing a bias), and you can trust them to approach it with the intention of "breaking down" the mechanics of the work to better analyze them, rather than "tearing down" just for the lulz.

Or, to quote Rich Burlew, it's the difference between "this didn't work for me, for XYZ reasons" and "THIS SUCKS, I'M HELPING"

1. Which isn't to say I don't value the public's opinion about the performance as a whole! The audience doesn't have to know all the complex artistic themes you were working with to know whether or not you succeeded in telling your story: it's the same reason "I'm a good communicator -- other people just suck at listening!" is a ludicrous sentence. It doesn't matter how knowledgeable you are about the craft of storytelling if that doesn't translate to a digestible message for your audience. However, just because the audience can tell you "this isn't working as a story" doesn't mean that they can tell you how to fix it -- usually their ideas for solutions are the worst you could possibly get.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

aaaAAAAAAaaaaaathe French!
    Where!?890
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Where!?890
    At the intersection of Conch and Coral.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yep, though as Ionathus points out, there's also a category of "honest feedback", which arguably falls somewhere between the two.

Another thing that's not just insults is "trolling". Nowadays the word seems to have lost its meaning, it's become synonymous with arbitrary rudeness and viciousness, but real trolling is neither of those things.

It's an art. Real trolling is neither rude nor (particularly) unkind. I'm pretty sure it still happens, all the time - indeed, I saw at least two clear instances of it only yesterday - but it goes unremarked because there's no word for it any more.

I'm talking about posting (say) a list of mistakes in a movie, and including "This scene is ridiculous because it depends on the spaceship's shadow falling across another ship - but both ships are in vacuum!".
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'm talking about posting (say) a list of mistakes in a movie,
    Careful, now. If somebody invokes Cinema Sins in a thread about lighthearted rants, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to stop

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

"This scene is ridiculous because it depends on the spaceship's shadow falling across another ship - but both ships are in vacuum!".
    what does being in a vacuum have to do with casting a shadow?

All that needs to happen is one ship being closer to the nearest light source then the other.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

what does being in a vacuum have to do with casting a shadow?

All that needs to happen is one ship being closer to the nearest light source then the other.
    You're taking the bait.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #143

Where!?890
    California.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Every Fromsoft game I've played would be improved by having a got-dang map.

Except Elden Ring which had said map.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

You're taking the bait.
    ahh, i see.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Firbolg in the Playground

Or like if you took some of the snarky deliberately inaccurate trivia from the Things I May No Longer Do While Playing thread and played them totally stonefaced straight? Like managed to claim without cracking up that Ponyo was based on an H.P. Lovecraft novel or that the King in Yellow was definitely a character from Clue, not from a novel, or that the original ending of The Wizard of Oz had Dorothy being killed so that the wizard could harvest her brain, heart, and spine but the studio changed it because they decided it was too much of a dowmer
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-12-21 at 09:05 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Every Fromsoft game I've played would be improved by having a got-dang map.

Except Elden Ring which had said map.
    The only one I feel like needed a map to navigate was Bloodborne. The rest are linear enough concentric loops contained within small areas that a map is pretty much redundant.

Mind you it'd be nice to see a visual representation of all the loopbacks, especially in DS1, but I doubt an overworld map like ER has would have helped you at all.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Here's a hot take about this forum:

When making a new post or editing one in regular browser, the additional options remain present. Show your signature, and automatically parse links.

But when using the mobile version of the site, the additional options are only present when making a post - not when going back to edit an error. And those additional options are locked to yes for parse, and no for signature.

So if I want to correct an error using my phone for a post, I am punished by my signature vanishing after I complete the edit.

WHY?! WHY MUST I BE PUNISHED FOR USING MY PHONE TO MAKE MY POSTS LEGIBLE?! IT'S NOT A BIG SIGNATURE, LET ME KEEP IT!!!
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

29. - Top - End - #149
    Firbolg in the Playground

I never use the mobile version of anything, I always set my phone to load the desktop version. Mobile versions are always lacking key functionality
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

30. - Top - End - #150

I never use the mobile version of anything, I always set my phone to load the desktop version. Mobile versions are always lacking key functionality
    PREACH, FRIEND! lameness filter override