New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

How am I supposed to hold my phone with one end near my ear and the other near my mouth if it's in landscape?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    How am I supposed to hold my phone with one end near my ear and the other near my mouth if it's in landscape?
    Keep your chin up
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Cellphones should operate exclusively in landscape mode
    Now THAT'S a hot take! I hate it so much!

Please elaborate

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

The keyboard is bigger when typing, videos recorded in landscape are a respectable aspect ratio instead of that sideways tiktok nonsense, and it's more like a videogame controller when playing a game
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-02-01 at 04:16 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

The keyboard is bigger when typing, videos recorded in landscape are a respectable aspect ratio instead of that sideways tiktok nonsense, and it's more like a videogame controller when playing a game
    All of that is cool but you can already do all of those things so I'm unclear why you think it's a good idea to remove functionality from a phone

Do you work for Apple?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aha, another crusader in the fight against the VVS pandemic, I see.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

It's the way they are meant to be used, obviously, why else would films be in that orientation?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #188

Some things are better in landscape mode, but I find that reading things actually works better in portrait mode because the screen is closer to the aspect ratio typically used in books.

Speaking of, having a website that I cannot fully navigate in a screen that is taller than it is wide is not accessible. *glares at XKCD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Some things are better in landscape mode, but I find that reading things actually works better in portrait mode because the screen is closer to the aspect ratio typically used in books.

Speaking of, having a website that I cannot fully navigate in a screen that is taller than it is wide is not accessible. *glares at XKCD*
    Yep. You’d think that websites would be easier to view in landscape orientation (with Desktop Mode enabled of course, since otherwise the mobile UI is designed for portrait mode). But it never seems to work that way. Clunky widgets/UI choices are a big part of this, plus the fact that if I’m on a website I probably want to type something, and trying to use the keyboard in landscape mode leaves me with naught but a sliver of the actual webpage still visible.

Using portrait mode splits your screen into half keyboard, half actual screen, giving a good balance between navigation and typing.

10. - Top - End - #190

Using the keyboard in portrait mode leaves me with effectively no keyboard
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

11. - Top - End - #191
    Colossus in the Playground

More villains should be defeated anti-climactically.

Not every villain deserves a big, dramatic defeat and in those cases of there's not a cathartic reason for a drawn-out defeat or an epic battle a quick humbling or being eliminated by the consequences of their own actions may, on occasion, be more satisfying,
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

Not every villain deserves a big, dramatic defeat and in those cases of there's not a cathartic reason for a drawn-out defeat or an epic battle a quick humbling or being eliminated by the consequences of their own actions may, on occasion, be more satisfying,
    I agree.

That also reminds me of one of my own takes: More villains should be defeated by the hero acting "dishonorably" (and/or: More villains should win by the hero refusing to act "dishonorably").

13. - Top - End - #193

I recently read a book ("The Forged Prince") where one of the characters opines that if your enemy had anything like your morals they probably wouldn't be your enemy.

That said, our society does not want to encourage a bloodthirsty, win-at-any-cost attitude, so stories where the heroes are loath to shed blood and quick to accept surrender are common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

I recently read a book ("The Forged Prince") where one of the characters opines that if your enemy had anything like your morals they probably wouldn't be your enemy.
    That seems pretty obviously false to me. Conflicts of interest are perfectly capable of creating enmity between people with similar morals.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I agree.

That also reminds me of one of my own takes: More villains should be defeated by the hero acting "dishonorably" (and/or: More villains should win by the hero refusing to act "dishonorably").

That said, our society does not want to encourage a bloodthirsty, win-at-any-cost attitude, so stories where the heroes are loath to shed blood and quick to accept surrender are common.
    Hot take: y'all would love the film Ij Bruges.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Yep. You’d think that websites would be easier to view in landscape orientation (with Desktop Mode enabled of course, since otherwise the mobile UI is designed for portrait mode). But it never seems to work that way. Clunky widgets/UI choices are a big part of this, plus the fact that if I’m on a website I probably want to type something, and trying to use the keyboard in landscape mode leaves me with naught but a sliver of the actual webpage still visible.

Using portrait mode splits your screen into half keyboard, half actual screen, giving a good balance between navigation and typing.

you know what would fix this?

phones that have actual buttons again.

So here's my lukewarm take: Give phones buttons again dangit! I'm tired of my buttons being on the thing I'm trying to look at!Real, physical buttons are 100% better!

my old phone had a single button on the bottom to return me to the main menu any time i wanted. The phone i currently have doesn't do that. so when i downloaded and tried out a game for awhile... i couldn't get out of it! There was no way for me to actually exit the game! i was only able to get out because there was a breif 1/2 second window of being on the main menu when i turned the phone off and on again, and i had a notification on the main menu, so i quickly hit that as soon as possible so i could close and uninstall the game.

Just give me a button i can push at any time! give me multiple buttons i can push to spell out the alphabit! none of this slidey-swipey buttons-aren't-real nonsense that just limits how much i can see and smudges up my screen!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2024-02-03 at 11:45 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197

Do you mean you turned the screen on and off?

If you turned that actual phone all the way off and on and was still taking up your screen after the phone rebooted then that may have been some kind of malware and not a legitimate game

I agree.

That also reminds me of one of my own takes: More villains should be defeated by the hero acting "dishonorably"
    In particular more should be shot while trying to surrender and weasel their way out of responsibility. There's a pile of bodies from both sides that's ten feet deep but the guy who started the whole affair is going to be taken alive? No!

That's a pet peeve of mine. Often the villain doesn't even try to surrender and the hero spares him anyway, leaving the question of what the hell the rest of it was all for.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-02-03 at 01:27 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #198

In particular more should be shot while trying to surrender and weasel their way out of responsibility. There's a pile of bodies from both sides that's ten feet deep but the guy who started the whole affair is going to be taken alive? No!
    That would only serve to make it pointless to surrender - if they're going to die either way, then why not keep fighting and possibly take you out?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm pretty sure shooting an enemy combatant while they're surrendering is a war crime and "taken alive to be tried for their crimes" is not "weaseling out of responsibility."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #200

I'm pretty sure shooting an enemy combatant while they're surrendering is a war crime and "taken alive to be tried for their crimes" is not "weaseling out of responsibility."
    I'm not talking about an enemy combatant - I have no problem with them accepting the surrender of enemy combatants - I'm talking about the guy giving the orders. The main villain that the whole movie is oriented around taking down.

Also, a lot of these movies aren't set on 20th-21st century Earth, so it doesn't apply to them regardless.

Also, sometimes the hero spares him and he hasn't even actually surrendered. But he had no problem shooting all of the villain's random mooks. What the hell is the point of that? That's the thing that really peeves me and so now I want to see the opposite of that.

EDIT: Furthermore I'm pretty sure I did describe this as "dishonorable". The description was part of a quotation but it was there nonetheless.

EDIT: And in any case, however good it may be for governance it's an unsatisfying end to an action film
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-02-03 at 01:54 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #201

EDIT: And in any case, however good it may be for governance it's an unsatisfying end to an action film
    If the protag doesn't kill the hero because they just can't, or would make them as bad as the antag, and only after killing others without qualm? I agree. If the antag surrenders? Hard disagree. A win is a win, I'm not going to demand bloodshed for it to be satisfying.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, sometimes the hero spares him and he hasn't even actually surrendered. But he had no problem shooting all of the villain's random mooks. What the hell is the point of that? That's the thing that really peeves me and so now I want to see the opposite of that.
    I do kind of agree with this part, heroes often seem to go out of their way to save (or at least avoid taking) the Big Bad's life far more often than Random Mook #8's.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If the protag doesn't kill the hero because they just can't, or would make them as bad as the antag, and only after killing others without qualm? I agree. If the antag surrenders? Hard disagree. A win is a win, I'm not going to demand bloodshed for it to be satisfying.
    Yeah, pretty much this. "If you [something, usually kill the bad guy], you'll be just as bad as them" and its many variation is one of the most annoying cliches in all of fiction, I think.

What I really want is pretty much for reality not to bend over backwards to ensure that the hero doing "the Right Thing" will never ever come back to bite them, even when it really should. And for more heroes to realize that if you're willing to sacrifice your life for something, maybe you should consider being willing to sacrifice your ethics too.

23. - Top - End - #203

And for more heroes to realize that if you're willing to sacrifice your life for something, maybe you should consider being willing to sacrifice your ethics too.
    I deliberately used protagonist and antagonist instead of hero and villain because I think that works better, but regardless, if you'd like to watch a movie where all the 'tagonists, both pro- and an-, absolutely keep to their ethics and you would applaud them all for it, I would again recommend In Bruges.

Spoiler: Best to go in blind, but mild spoiler if you don't care
    Show
    Three different people have three different takes on the aftermath of killing a child, and all three are pretty hard to disagree with.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I do kind of agree with this part, heroes often seem to go out of their way to save (or at least avoid taking) the Big Bad's life far more often than Random Mook #8's.

Yeah, pretty much this. "If you [something, usually kill the bad guy], you'll be just as bad as them" and its many variation is one of the most annoying cliches in all of fiction, I think.

What I really want is pretty much for reality not to bend over backwards to ensure that the hero doing "the Right Thing" will never ever come back to bite them, even when it really should. And for more heroes to realize that if you're willing to sacrifice your life for something, maybe you should consider being willing to sacrifice your ethics too.
    As a rule of thumb, if youre willing to sacrifice them, they arent your ethics to begin with. Its one thing to be in a no win situation where theres no ethical choice, but thats different from just making an exception because of your emotional state.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I deliberately used protagonist and antagonist instead of hero and villain because I think that works better, but regardless, if you'd like to watch a movie where all the 'tagonists, both pro- and an-, absolutely keep to their ethics and you would applaud them all for it, I would again recommend In Bruges.
    Yeah, I've heard good things about it, maybe I'll give it a shot.

And obviously it's not automatically a better story just because a character sacrifices their morality, it's just I find it so silly when, say, the entire world is at stake so the heroic protagonist is obviously willing to die to stop the antagonist, but doing something dishonorable to stop them is obviously off-limits. At that point it just comes off as selfish and stupid to not be willing to feel bad to save the day, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    As a rule of thumb, if youre willing to sacrifice them, they arent your ethics to begin with. Its one thing to be in a no win situation where theres no ethical choice, but thats different from just making an exception because of your emotional state.
    Because of your emotional state? Sure, I agree. What I'm talking about is the hero deliberately limiting themselves when the consequences for failing are immense.

And ethics should depend on the situation, I wouldn't normally use violence of any kind against another person, but in an extreme enough situation I would certainly be willing to. Does that mean that my ethics, that apply in all other situations, doesn't exist?
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-02-03 at 02:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

And ethics should depend on the situation, I wouldn't normally use violence of any kind against another person, but in an extreme enough situation I would certainly be willing to. Does that mean that my ethics, that apply in all other situations, doesn't exist?
    No, it just means that your ethics are more nuanced than "violence is never acceptable".
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    No, it just means that your ethics are more nuanced than "violence is never acceptable".
    Fair enough, so I suppose what I'm asking for is for more fictional characters to have ethical nuances that include exceptions for more extreme situations. Or at least for the authors behind said characters to let their characters face the consequences for their rigid ethics.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Yes, its why I'm not too particularly keen on making my action heroes/adventurers/whatever particularly worried or caring much about morality, with them often not calling themselves heroes. They know their lives of adventure, violence and getting rid of whatever threat that they come across isn't how everyone should live, just the way they themselves like living. Taking too many moral high grounds would be hypocritical when your willing to go full pragmatic fighter on what you fight.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Do you mean you turned the screen on and off?

If you turned that actual phone all the way off and on and was still taking up your screen after the phone rebooted then that may have been some kind of malware and not a legitimate game
    just the screen i'd guess. Even so, there should not be a need to turn the screen off a bunch of times in order to exit a game.

just give me a physical button that brings me to the main menu, this ain't hard.

i will never understand the whole "They must be tried for their crimes!" thing. like, there has GOT to be a limit there, surely. Dude just blew up two entire inhabited planets while keeping the population of four others as non-consenting labourers who are regularly lashed and rarely fed, and you want too... put him in a courtroom to determine if he's guilty? Maybe put him in a prison for a few years? Where he has the potential to escape or be freed to cause yet another reign of terror?

Respectfully... come on. Just finish the job now so it's over and people can be free.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i will never understand the whole "They must be tried for their crimes!" thing. like, there has GOT to be a limit there, surely. Dude just blew up two entire inhabited planets while keeping the population of four others as non-consenting labourers who are regularly lashed and rarely fed, and you want too... put him in a courtroom to determine if he's guilty? Maybe put him in a prison for a few years? Where he has the potential to escape or be freed to cause yet another reign of terror?

Respectfully... come on. Just finish the job now so it's over and people can be free.
    Frequently the point is delegation of authority, or to demonstrate respect for the rule of law. Yeah, Superman can throw someone into the sun no problem, but he refrains from doing so because he doesn't want to be the ultimate arbiter of justice, and he wants there to be an authority above him.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”