New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant: The Lost Outpost [IC]

The canoe is pulled up from beneath the dock.

Meanwhile, Arsenne takes a look at Mr. Arvodair, doing response tests and determines that it is muscular, but not that bad - painful, sure, and impinging some of his strength. But a night of rest should be what he needs.

The examination done, he comes over and looks at the canoe with everyone else. A hole in the bottom of the hull is evident. To Mr. Arvodair's trained eyes as both sailor and boatwright, it appears that the hole was created from inside the canoe, not outside, and was punctured by a tool or weapon. After looking it over he says, "I can fix it, but I don't have any of my tools from the ship. I didn't come with gear."

You look back out to the water, and the ship has already sailed farther away.

"Well, I guess that's going to have to wait. The captain told me that if it seems like we were running into trouble, I would be stuck with you and to secure the ship's launch at the pier. Without tools or anything, I have nothing better than to either skylark at the pier, or accompany you as you check out Talmandor's Bounty."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne responds: "I am sure everyone would appreciate your help in verifying Talmandor's Bounty. But if something is going around punching holes into boats, what do you all think of hauling these boats out of the water and up past the beach, and tying them to a tree or something?"

He then glances over at the Grindylow corpses and adds: "And what exactly do we know about these Grindy.... these Squid Goblins? So far all I have got is that they are slimy-slippery and have multiple tentacles as well as arms, so, probably not a lot of fun to grapple. How amphibious are they? Can they walk around on land? Do we risk encountering them in the settlement?"

He glances at Kaen.
    "You, Good Sir Elf, seemed to know a bit about them.... . And did we manage to collect their spears?"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen shakes his head. "Only academically. I had never before laid eyes on one before today. As for the spears, they have probably fallen to the ocean floor. I suppose Mr. Thikha'Nes might be able to retrieve them, but I hardly see the point of it." He exhales purposefully. "Regardless, unless there's another pressing matter here, I will go back to my scouting." And with that, he turns back towards the village.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

4. - Top - End - #94

Thickness can show Arsenne he had already taken the spears (which, by the way, would not do a good job of puncturing a boat of hardwood).

Assuming the rest of the party - now with Mr. Arvodair in the rear (having gotten his shield off the launch) - fall in some 50' behind Kaen (at his request), the group moves along a well-worn path in the grass that rises up a slope toward a cluster of buildings to the east. The buildings are arranged in a rough triangle, with each point ending in a wooden circular enclosure with rectangular notches cut intermittently, like battlements. These round enclosures are clearly meant to be three points of a wooden palisade fence, which would enclose this first group of buildings once completed. The palisade fence, however, is complete only along the southeastern side of the triangle and is obviously unfinished elsewhere. The grass around the settlement looks like it was cropped at one point, and many paths exist between locations in the settlement, but in less well-trafficked spots, the grass has started to regrow.

All the buildings are constructed of either rough timber or mud bricks set in a wooden frame, and have pitched thatch roofs. Many have open window frames, but only a few have actual shutters or even a canvas curtain for privacy. Doors are basic, wooden affairs, too simple for locks, and some buildings lack them entirely. The construction is new, quite rough and unfinished.

The entire settlement is dead quiet.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen moved silently towards the northernmost building, taking a brief stock of the inside before making his way to the building to its south.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Making my way to A3, doing a quick search of the house. If the window is open, I'll look in there, otherwise, he'll crack the door to take a look inside. I then intend to do the same for A4-6, stopping when either I find something or confirm that they're all empty

6. - Top - End - #96

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina heads towards the triangle cluster of buildings to the east and beckons Ambyr to follow her. "Ambyr, stay on guard okay?"

Show
    Eirina heads to A2 and cautiously looks around the buildings there, ordering Ambyr to stay alert and to yowl or make some sort of cougar noise if he smells danger.

7. - Top - End - #97

Kaen moved silently towards the northernmost building, taking a brief stock of the inside before making his way to the building to its south.
    This rectangular building is constructed of mud brick walls. The building has a simple door facing east, but unlike all other buildings in the colony, it lacks any windows. A heady smell of dried plants, herbs, and dried meat lingers in the air.

Kaen, a search of the house is going in and searching it ... not peering in through a partial doorway. You can do just that, but you don't get information for "searching" the house. What do you do?
    Show
    Also, don't try and "push" things by going more than one site at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Espeon55 View Post
    Eirina heads towards the triangle cluster of buildings to the east and beckons Ambyr to follow her. "Ambyr, stay on guard okay?"
    Seven canvas pavilion tents were set up here, all of which are large enough to shelter two to three people each. All but two tents have collapsed due to wind, rain, and lack of maintenance. The two that remain standing lean haphazardly and do not appear to have been entered for a long time. Grass has begun to grow around them.
    Eirina, what do you do here at the pavilion tents?

In the meantime, everyone else is back on the main thoroughfare as the scouts went in opposite directions. What do the rest of you do?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

As the group enters the empty village, Thickness moves from his more relaxed stride to an odd stance. Head stooped low, he alternates between scenting the ground like one might expect a hunting dog, and speeding up to catch up with the group.
    When the group starts to split Thickness calls out, "We should probably hold off on separating to much!", and while he shouts it, he waves his right arm in a sweeping wave towards the north where Kaen headed. "And what are we thinking, a quick patrol for obvious signs before doing more in depth searches?"

Show

Thickness continues to maintaining Running Hunters Stance, using the Scent ability to try and pick out any tracks or notable scents.

When the group catches up to the northern building Kaen is looking into, Thickness will comment
    "The foods still here? Even if it's not water safe you'd think they'd bring it to shore as a cache, unless they're water bound. Maybe the Grindy's just made things worse."

Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2023-12-01 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Fixing random format issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

After stepping inside the building to investigate, he nods to himself before moving to the south to check the next one.
    Show
    I suppose I was arguing that I was doing a quick Take 10 perception in the house, but if I must fully enter it to do so, then Kaen shall. I also wasn't trying to push per se, more trying to keep the scene moving. Having to call back to me to make the same "Yep, nothing in that building, moving to the next one" statement like 4 times just felt like it would slow things down.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2023-12-01 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Typo

10. - Top - End - #100

Spoiler: Kaen
    Show
    Kaen, the door lacks a means to bar it from within. Inside, the ground has been dug out to a depth of 3 feet so that the floor is lower than the ground outside. A short flight of steps set with flat stones leads into this darkened area, lit only by any ambient light coming through the door. The building lacks interior walls except for a few short partitions, and four stout posts support the roof. The temperature is cool and the smell of rotted vegetables and meat is strong. Strings of garlic hang suspended from ceiling crossbeams alongside chunks of salted meat and bone. Debris and refuse is strewn across the floor between stacks of crates, boxes, and barrels against the walls.

This building is where the first colonists stored those provisions brought over on the Liberty’s Herald, intended to supplement their diet until their crops matured. Much of it was salted meats, fish, and hardy root vegetables. Kaen's keen senses notice that some of the barrels and containers have remained sealed. One thing that Kaen's keen senses fail to detect in the gloom, however ...

Surprise Round!

S16: With the interruption of light into this dank place, there is a sudden thrumming, humming, and chittering as thousands of little particulates seem to come to life and surround and practically engulf Kaen. All the nibbling and chewing from the swarm of insects can't seem to get through the protection of his astral skin.

Begin Round One ...

R1T16:
    The angry swarm of whatever continues their chewing. This time, however, Kaen takes 4 mod past the protection of his astral skin.

R1T15: Kaen, roll a Fort save. Your veil is in bow form in hand right now. What do you do?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: save
    Show
    (1d20+5)[13]

Kaen immediately flees; he isn't currently equipped to handle this, as conventional attacks are suboptimal ways of dealing with them. He makes his way back to the party at best speed and calmly asks "Do any of you have any good destructive magicks? I seem to have riled up an insect swarm."
    Show
    I move to the rest of the party at best speed (40 ft if I fail the save, 80 ft if I pass).
    Last edited by digiman619; 2023-12-01 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Keeps the suspense up a bit.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"No."
    Devolving into foreign swearing, Thickness dropped into a crouch on the spot, dropping spear and shield to start riffling through his pack for one of his torches.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Dropping lance should be free, doffing shield is move.
    Then a move to either retrieve my torch or a move to manipulate my backpack so I can retrieve the torch next turn.

Ofc, reduce actions for surprise round if relevent.

13. - Top - End - #103

R1T15: Kaen completely freaks out and immediately flees, but only at half-speed as he is distracted by what seems to be a swarm of insects all over him. He isn't currently equipped to handle this, as conventional attacks are sub-optimal ways of dealing with them.

As he stumbles out, he sees that a few of the bugs give chase, but not enough to really be of any issue. As they get into the rays of the sun they angrily disperse and go back into the house, likely to find even darker corners since Kaen left the door open.

Initiative Ends!

He catches his breath and makes his way back to the party at best speed and calmly asks, "Do any of you have any good destructive magicks? I seem to have riled up an insect swarm."

"No," replies Thickness flatfly, devolving from thence into foreign swearing. Dropping into a crouch on the spo while divesting himself of spear and shield, he starts rifling through his pack for one of his torches, pulling one out.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

After a moment Thickness pulls out a second torch.

"So, at least one dangerous house... Clear it out now just in case or shall we check everywhere else? I've got a spare torch ready if no one else has one."

15. - Top - End - #105

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina studies the tents and decides it may be too dangerous and unhelpful to investigate the two remaining ones with just Amber since they look ready to collapse. And decides to rejoin the rest of the party. "I don't think we'll find anything here boy let's rejoin the others."
    Last edited by Espeon55; 2023-12-02 at 01:25 AM. Reason: forgot to delete finger mash

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen frowns at the crocodile man "Don't bother. The swarm isn't what got the colonists, so ending them won't answer the pressing question. If we are going to set-up a base camp here, then we will have to deal with them, but until then, we should focus on finding out what happened here."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Thickness nods, redons his pack, and sets himself up with shield and spear held I'm one arm awkwardly, able to do little more than Cary and drop them. He firmly holds the torch he got out in the other.

"Reasonable. I think ill keep a torch out though, just in case."

18. - Top - End - #108

Alright, you are all back together again. Now what?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen closes his eyes as his astral suit reforms in its armor form. "I think we can end the scouting plan. The desire to be stealthy is outweighed by the risk of getting attacked by something, I feel." He then addresses the rest of the group. "Unless anyone objects, I suggest we all go together and search the remaining structures,"

20. - Top - End - #110

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne nods, "That sounds like a good plan. Together, but not too close, that way a warm cannot engulf more than one of us at a time. And, just so you know, I have no 'blasting' magics at the moment. I am a cleric of Shelyn. I came here to spread love, beauty and joyful healing within the colony. Given the reception we have received so far.... It looks like I may have to diversify my portfolio somewhat."

He pauses. "Shall we light a couple of torches in advance in case the next swarm is not so deterred by sunlight? I don't have any myself, but i can certainly carry one without needing to balance my glaive with a shield that I don't have..." He looks to Thickha'Ness.

21. - Top - End - #111

ElfRogueGirl

"Yeah I specialize in hunting vermin not insect swarms and I cannot communicate with those..."Eirina states as she looks at the houses."Ambyr would also not be very good in a situation like that and I'd rather he not get fleas."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Could pre-light them, but i can do it quickly. Better holding off for now I think so we dony waste them... I'll take lead, with luck my nose will help us avoid a surprise. Shall we sweep the outer ring than go in or just try to find the centre for any stockpile or..."

With that Thickness returns to that odd stance of his, and picks a direction. Unless others direct elsewhere, he'll go north again, intending to cycle in on the settlement. He does however skirt around the building with the swarm.

Spoiler
    Show

Running Hunters Stance for 30ft move speed and Scent.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2023-12-03 at 09:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne responds:
    "O.K.. If you say that you can light them quickly, then I'm all for conserving our resources.".
    And he takes up position near the rear ranks, holding his Glaive in a ready position with his fore hand but keeping his back hand free so as to either deflect anything that may be thrown or shot at him, or to grab the haft of the Glaive and leap into Melee.

24. - Top - End - #114

The closest building to the group on the main path into the colony is the best place to begin (A5). This L-shaped building is constructed of mud bricks on a wooden frame. The western portion is of the structure is enclosed by four walls. This section has a single open window on the south side, with a canvas curtain hung across the opening. The single entrance is a wooden door, standing slightly ajar, on the southern end of the eastern face of the building. A ten-foot extension connects to the building on the east side. This extension has only a northern wall and is otherwise just a roof sheltering the space below, which is open to the outside. Underneath this cover is a forge with an exhaust flue directly above it, a worktable covered in metal scraps, a small tub of black water, and a partially sheltered anvil. This was the smithy.

Do you go in? If so, how and who and with what in hand?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Having effectively nominated himself as the party's forward element, Kaen enters the building and takes a look around, his weapon in longblade form.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2023-12-04 at 06:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Spoiler: Kaen
    Show
    Surprise Round ...

Once Kaen steps into the smithy, he is surprised!

S15-13: Kaen gets struck along the side of the head from something above and in front of him for 4 mod, and then again from something next to him stabs him in the crook of his left elbow for 2 mod. There is all manner of screeching now.

Surprise Round Over, Begin Round One ..

R1T22:
    Arsenne, you have your glaive in hand and do not know the layout of what's inside, but you hear all manner of inhuman whooping and screeching that surely isn't Kaen. What do you do?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne moves to the entrance and peers inside, and if he sees anything that might be attempting to cause harm to Kaen, then he attacks it with his Glaive.

If he strikes, he calls out: "Hunting hornet, SLASH" while striking with his Glaive.

Spoiler: Crunch, just in case.
    Show
    Perception +8
    Risky strike (power attack) [roll]d20+5[/roll]
    Damage [roll]d10+9[/roll]
    Note: His feat, Combat Maneuvers may prove useful.
    Last edited by Diavolo; 2023-12-05 at 06:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

R1T22: Arsenne moves to the entrance and peers inside. Seeing two creatures hanging from the rafters by their tails and wielding spears, he strikes out at the one farther from himself, calling out, "Hunting hornet, SLASH" while striking it (Red) in the left knee with his glaive for 14 + disabled!

R1T21: Ambyr yowls, smelling blood, but waiting for a command from Eirina.

R1T17: Eirina, longbow is in hand and Ambyr is already alert. However, you see the back of Arsenne's shins telling you that there might not be any room inside. What do you do? What do you command Ambyr to do?

Ambyr delaying ...
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina readies her longbow to make a shot at the enemy. Whatever the enemy is, she moves into get a clear shot, but leaves enough space for Arsenne to get out and shouts to Arsenne. "Move out of the way Doc!"

once in position she calls out to Ambyr. "Attack when our Doc is out of the way go for the smell of blood."

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    MA: Moves 10 feet
    FA: Prepares Longbow readying to fire when allies are out of the way.

30. - Top - End - #120

R1T17: Eirina readies her longbow to make a shot at the enemy. Whatever the enemy is, she moves up 10' to get a clear shot, but can't because of the difference of sunlight and dark interior, bodies in the way, and the party screen at the door. She shouts to Arsenne .... right in his ear: "Move out of the way, Doc!"

Without a clear target, she says to Ambyr ... more to keep Ambry focused than any command, as Ambyr can't understand any more than one word of what is said, "Attack when our Doc is out of the way; go for the smell of blood."

R1T16: Yet another one of these things were hiding behind the corner and jumps out to stab at Green, but Arsenne deflects the spear for his new elven friend. This one (Green) is on the ground right below Blue (who, like Red, is hanging from the rafters).

R1T15: Blue also stabs at Kaen, and again Arsenne is there with his polearm to block it.

R1T13: Red withdraws around the west, and Arsenne misses as it goes by. It jumps out the window to the south and tries to scramble along the side of the corner of the building, but Ambyr is there to bite at it for 4, dropping the creature on the ground where it doesn't move.

R1T11: Kaen, you finally have your wits about you, and though dimly lit inside (he sun is not angled to come in through the southern window, though there is ambient light there). You see the little things. What do you do?
    Show