New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant: The Lost Outpost [IC]

As things begin to quiet down from the search Thickness calls out from where he's cycling the building and keeping watch.

"Anything interesting?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

The party (collectively) lets Thickness know what was found.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"A concerning old and disturbed. I doubt we can keep the stock but it might be worth borrowing parts. I could use the mail shirt should no one else want to burrow it."

Thickness returns to his circling of the building, keeping a ear out for any discussion by the others.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne says: "I have no objection on a personal level to you wearing the chain shirt, Thikha'Ness, nor to anyone else making good use of anything else we might find. However, let's bear in mind that these items surely belonged to somebody, and hopefully still do belong to that person if said person is still alive."

He pauses.
    "I think we have some complex legal and moral issues to agree upon before continuing. These items, these buildings, they were all supposed to belong to the colony as a common area, or to individual colonists as personal effects. Our "intended fellow colonists," to be more precise. It makes me a bit uncomfortable to just take and use what we please, unless we can agree to a few guidelines."

He takes a deep breath.
    "As I see it, our primary mission at this time consists of finding the other colonists, aiding them if necessary, and finding out what happened. In pursuit of that mission, I think it is perfectly legitimate for us to use various items that we may find, and to take shelter in the appropriate buildings. The original colonists and owners will surely pardon us the presumption, if and when we do find them. What is important is that we treat what we find with respect, and that we keep track of anything we take and where we took it from, so that it can eventually be returned to the proper owners should they be found."

He looks around.
    "Can we all agree upon these basic guidelines?"

"In the meantime, If you will just allow me two more minutes, there is something I want to do."
    He takes his beautiful journal out of his backpack, and lays it on a flat area inside the enclosed portion of the Smithy. He takes all the shells out of his sash, and a few out of his back pack. He then very carefully opens the journal and slowly separates the pages that have spilled ink and water on them. He then takes as many sea shells as necessary and places them between the pages so as to hold the vellum apart and allow air to circulate between the pages."

He explains: "I don't want the ink to dry and fuse the pages together. If they dry this way, I will have some free-form splotches on a few pages, and these can eventually form the base for impressionist or adaptive art. I already have several ideas that I look forward to exploring. With Shelyn's blessing, after we have thoroughly for the missing colonists, of course!"
    Last edited by Diavolo; 2023-12-20 at 01:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155

"You the heroes," says Mr. Arvodair, "and this is your scene now. I'm just along for the ride. But that makes me the outsider, and I agree with Arsenne. If you ever find the colonists, it sets up a bad example to say you're going to shake them down with the excuse of, 'Well, we saved you, so your property is our fee.' That, and technically this is a colony of Andoran, and that don't meet with Andoren law.

"That said, I think if we borrow in good faith because it helps us in finding them, then they shouldn't mind."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-12-20 at 08:28 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156

ElfRogueGirl

"To be blunt and fair, the machetes won't do any good just lying around. I mean personally I prefer a bow and Sword for my weapons but if someone can make use of them until we find out what happened to their original owners I say we make use of them." Eirina states as she looks over the loot. "And I am hoping we do find someone alive at least, the forge was last lit a week ago from what Uncle Kaen and I can determine. It's possible they could still be alive."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Thickness' eyes roll.

"I did say burrow did I not? I'd pretend to fumble language but we'respeaking in my birth tongue. I'm sure those aware of hiw the colony is to be administrated will know who is to take hold once this has passed. But in the interest of timelyness we might as well check the remaining buildings for any survivors first."

Thickness makes no move to actually change into to mail unless prompted, but once others are ready will continue his clock wise lead towards the next building on the perimeter. When coming close, he also takes his odd stance before approaching the door

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

When within 20ft of the next building, assuming Running Hunters stance for Scent.

8. - Top - End - #158

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne says: "So Thikha'Ness, If you are going to be borrowing that chain shirt, and you think it will confer an advantage, and we all expect more combative surprises to come, then shouldn't you be putting it on?"

He then adds, while looking at the ground in the general area where he had thrown up earlier: "And by the way, I really like that clean-up spell of yours. You disposed of the evidence of my ill-ease without a trace.!"

Suddenly he stops walking, while continuing to stare at the ground, and mumbles under his breath: "Trace... traces... tracks...." And then louder, to the rest of the group: "Say, could our hunter-types be checking for tracks? I mean, not just to try and figure out what might have been wondering about this little outpost and what might have happened, but also to maybe have an idea of what lurks in the next building before we enter?"

And he stands ready to accompany the group to the next building.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen nodded along with the discussion of borrowing any property they found. "Indeed. Even if it was legal, it'd set a bad precedent for the colony." He then turned to Arsenne. "We can try, but I have serious doubts that any tracks would be visible this long after they've been made." He then re-summoned his armor and blade in anticipation of more problems.
    Show
    Summon armor in Juggernaut form, and slashing volley in curveblade form
    Last edited by digiman619; 2023-12-20 at 11:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

10. - Top - End - #160

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne says: "I have faith in you. Let's do this!"

And he holds his glaive in a relaxed combat position, ready to follow to the next destination.

11. - Top - End - #161

ElfRogueGirl

"Ambyr! Track! Sniff out the enemy boy. We should have Ambyr and Thickness lead if that's the case their noses are better than ours. As for prints....as Uncle Kaen said finding tracks after this long will be nearly impossible. But I shall look anyways." ​Eirina begins searching for tracks while ordering Ambyr to keep his nose alert for danger.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

With the others changing their stances Thickness does indeed go about changing his hide shirt for the one of quality chain.

Spoiler: time
    Show

Don and Dof for light armor takes 1 minute each, giving 2 minutes for more searches and such.

13. - Top - End - #163

ElfRangerGuy

As we start walking and the leaders are generally looking downwards for tracks, Arsenne starts looking upwards in every direction, with a very anxious expression on his face.

When asked, he responds:
    "I'm just thinking: On the water, we were attacked by squid-goblins. Once on land, we got attacked by goblin-monkeys. If the universe follows a theme, which I personally think it does, we should be attacked by goblin-eagles any minute now."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen shook his head. "I'm reasonably certain that's not a thing." He then continued aiding his niece in searching for tracks.

15. - Top - End - #165

The party is not finding any tracks for the monkey-goblins.

They aren't going breakneck speed as they wait for Thickness do don the better armor for now. Though with carrying his old hide shirt in his pack he is now hefting a medium load.

Meanwhile, Mr. Arvodair looks to the party and in a low voice says, "You may want to check on your man there. He hasn't moved from the body of the monkey-goblin he brained."

As you look back, you notice that a tear-streaked Zeferin Voss is still sitting next to the goblin back by the forge.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne says: "Do we give him some space or does someone try to speak with him? I'm not the most adroit at this sort of thing."

17. - Top - End - #167

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina looks at Zeferin. "Uh are you okay? Um look your first kill can be difficult but please try to um get ahold of yourself okay?"

Eirina then looks at the others in her group. "Anyone else want to try talking to him?"

18. - Top - End - #168

"He was ... already down," says Zeferin. "Why did I kill him? Was he even evil? Did they just protect a home they thought they had once this place was abandoned, and now it's we who came in and were the villains?"
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne says quietly to Eirina and the others : "O.K. I'm really not good at this, but I'll give it a shot."

He approaches Zefferin and says: "Look, I'm ready.... we're all ready to just be here and support you. Or return here to support you after we have finished exploring this place. We can't neglect our immediate mission. People's lives may be at risk, and we don't even know it. And we would like your help."

He looks at Zeferin. He looks back at the others for reassurance. And he continues: "Look, ummm, the questions that you are asking are good questions. They are hard questions. The fact that you are asking them means you are a good person. And lot's of good people have asked the same questions when they have found themselves in similar situations. There are tons of books that have been written on the ethics of killing."

He pauses, tries to gauge some sort of reaction, and continues: "I don't remember the names of most of these books, or the substance of the arguments, but I remember this one particular book ... a beautifully embossed cover made of fine deer leather dyed a deep blue and lined with silver thread. And just inside the cover, introducing the first chapter, there was this amazing painting of a confused-looking Paladin or knight who had a small angel on each shoulder, and each was giving him advice, and you could tell they were giving him conflicting advice and he did not know what to do."

He eyes look off into the distance : "I don't remember all the boring text, but the image painted a thousand words for me and I remember it well. If it had been a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other, then it's clear which advice he should take. The angel's, of course. He can decide with confidence and move on. But in this case they were both angels, so that made it much harder to decide, and that indecision made him confused and slowed him down and distracted him. In the next chapter, we see an image of the same fellow lying on the ground with a lance through his chest, and the two little cherub angels are still arguing in the foreground. Again, I don't remember the text, but the image is clearly embedded in my memory, as is the message: When facing lethal combat, you cannot let yourself be distracted by ethics. Those discussions can go on forever. You need to finish your fight, by whatever means available, protect yourself and your allies, hope that your actions are virtuous and that you will do more good than harm, and then move on."

He looks back at Zeferin: "You did good. Those goblin-monkeys had ambushed us and attacked us without even giving us a chance to talk or come to an arrangement. Could we have acted differently? Of course! Could things have turned out differently? Of course! But that's not the portrait that Shelyn painted for us. You moved quickly & decisively to protect us. Had it escaped, it may have come back at night with a dozen friends and tried to kill us in our sleep. We just don't know. But from the little I remember of the actual 'text' part of most of those books that my tutors forced me to read, it is the well-earned right and privilege of every combatant feel relief at having survived combat and having protected his friends. You have that right, as do we all."

He glances back at the group, then asks Zeferin: "Now, will you pull yourself together and join us? We have several more buildings to explore, and could very likely use your help."

He stands up and offers a hand to Zeferin to pull him up as well.

20. - Top - End - #170

Zeferin stands and says, "I will return to the beach and guard the boats."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne, glances nervously back at the group, and then in a forced jovial tone says: "O.K., that's an awesome idea! Thanks for thinking of it! That could prove very useful! Just, ummm, shout if you need anything, O.K.?"

He takes a few steps towards the group, then stops, turns around and adds: "Actually, while you are there, would you mind throwing those dead Grinder-woles.... Grinky-voos.... those Squid-Goblins back into the sea? I think we'll all be happier if they get eaten up by the fishies rather than sit rotting in the sun for a few days. Thanks."

He rejoins the group and says without any confidence: "O.K., I think that went pretty smoothly. He's decided to to pull himself together and try to do something productive, right? So.... shall we continue with our exploration?"

22. - Top - End - #172

At the center of the colony, in front of the Government House, is a public well.

Just southwest of the well is a wooden scaffold with a set of steps. It looks suitable for use as a platform to address a large crowd, though it would take minimal effort to convert it into a gallows. North of the scaffold is the remnant of a well-used community fire pit surrounded by stones, large enough for a reasonably sized bonfire. Most of the ashes in the central fire pit have been rained on repeatedly and are now mixed in with the soil. It is clear that no fire has been lit here for weeks.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173

ElfRogueGirl

"This is very strange.... The forge was last lit a week ago but this bonfire hasn't been lit in weeks. What the heck could have happened here?" Eirina ponders as she looks around. "Perhaps we should investigate the Well...and see if they at least have clean drinking water here. I'm certain we could all use a drink of water after the battles and the heat."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaen had said nothing about Zeferin's emotional moment; such things were deeply personal and he had neither the qualifications to help him nor the right to view him in such a difficult time. "It is most confusing. It's not like there's a lack of wood to burn that would make them use the smaller fire." He will then follow Eirina towards the well; half expecting something else to leap from it to attack him the second he drew near.

25. - Top - End - #175

The party congregates around the well, finding nothing which adds to or conflicts with what they've already learned.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

ElfRangerGuy

Arsenne remains close and alert, ready with his Glaive in case of any surprises.
    He does keep glancing with a worried look at the sky for threats, but he only does so when he is sure that he is standing outside of Kaen's field of vision.

27. - Top - End - #177

ElfRogueGirl

Eirina inspects the Well to see if it has any water and if said water is safe to drink.

Show
    StA: If the Water is unsafe to drink she will then cast Purify Food & Drink on the water as people fill their waterskins or canteens.

28. - Top - End - #178

The water appears clean, but there is no way to actually determine if it is safe or not.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

With the group having circled the well and having had a look Thickness pipes up.
    "Unless someone wants to take a dip or drink it might be best to keep sweeping the buildings. Though not seeing the communal fire place lit, perhaps someone tried to cook in the forge?"

With that Thickness will head towards the long buildings to the north, going first to the one closest to the well.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Head towards A11's south most building, dropping into Running Hunter's stance near the entry ro use Scent to try and pick up on anything before heading in.

30. - Top - End - #180

ElfRogueGirl

"Okay whoever needs to fill up their water skins line up, however Ambyr gets first dibs on water cause he has fur and probably needs it the most." Eirina then gives what's left in her waterskin to Ambyr to drink before filling hers up and casting Purify Food and Water on the water for herself and Ambyr. She will then purify the water of those who need to fill up.