New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Recent remasters (or remakes) worth playing?

Been a while but:

Arkham wise it sounds like Asylum and City are fine, but Knight has issues even with a more recent patch.

Star Ocean 2nd R got another content update.

Grandia HD Collection (I&II) have been released on more platforms, but still seem to be YMMV.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Digital Eclipse just made a Wizardry 1 remake that is really cool. You can see the original apple 2 game code running in the background and makes a lot of QOL changes to make the game more accessible for modern audiences. (mostly by changing how town stuff works and making the Clarity spell show a full map)

One thing that's really neat is that the game includes an automap as if you were drawing the map out yourself so if you hit a teleport spot and miss it, it makes the automap wrong until you cast Clarity. kind of a neat detail to emulate the experience of getting some graph paper out and trying to figure it out.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkdragoon View Post
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    The Thousand Year Door's remake isn't out for another couple of months though.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

While it is coming-up on 5 years old now, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is a pretty solid example of remastering an RTS game. Granted the amount of DLC exansions its recieved since launch do make that 'definitive' part of the title a little questionable, and pathing issues have never been entirely dealt with, but still a solid effort. Also not charging full new game retail price for it helps
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2024-03-28 at 05:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

The Suikoden 1&2 remaster keeps getting pushed back, which worries me. But hey, I've waited this long to be able to get a legit copy of Suikoden 2 for less than the price of a new computer, I can wait a bit longer.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

The spiritual successor to Suikoden is due out in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by darkdragoon View Post
    Super Mario RPG
    Played it, it was exactly what I thought it would be.
    Last edited by Quizatzhaderac; 2024-04-02 at 02:25 PM.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Thousand Year Door is coming to Switch, i'm looking forward to it.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

In a shocking trend that I really, really want to continue, several dead multiplayer games have been taken over by new studios and are getting a revival.

Two days from now, we're going to get Gigantic: Rampage Edition! Not learning about Gigantic until after it was already dead is a regret of mine, since I had friends who were dedicated players. From everything they told me about it, I would have loved the game, since it seemed to have a fair amount in common with another of my all-time favorite dead games, Super Monday Night Combat. At first, it looks like a 3D MOBA along the lines of Smite, but it's a much bigger variation on the formula than most MOBAs.

Of course, since most of the MOBA player base doesn't want variations on the formula, the original version of the game didn't last, but I'm grateful for the opportunity not to miss out on it entirely.

And in a few months, I'm also going to get to try the remake of my favorite asymm game! A much more dedicated dev team bought the rights to Last Year: The Nightmare/Afterdark a while back, and have been working on a massive revision and relaunch, under the name Forest Hills: The Last Year. ...I have to admit I'm disappointed at the new name. It doesn't give any clue what sort of game it is, and is generic enough that it's hard to search for. Ah well, I should focus on the bright side: Last Year had the most fun take on asymm gameplay that I've ever gotten to try, feeling much more like Left 4 Dead than Dead By Daylight. The design and gameplay were excellent, but the original dev studio seemed cursed to fail. LY started out as the flagship game on the Discord Game Store. Did you know there was a Discord Game Store for a while? After its platform died, the updated version went on Steam... and the development studio was bankrupted by embezzlement after a few months, so there was only one major update to LY:A. Ever. Even so, I still played it when I had the chance, cuz it was just that good when a match actually happened.

I'm not sure how much they're going to change things with the remake, but the new dev studio has already revealed enough new stages and characters that it clearly won't just be the same thing all over again. As long as they don't completely lose the original gameplay formula, I'm going to be all over this as soon as it goes live.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan