New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 871 to 900 of 939
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Cassandra opens the door. On the far side is a narrow hall, which opens to a 25’x25’ room carved out of solid grey rock, and lit by four Continual Flame torches.

    A horrible-looking mix of man and wolf, stronger and more upright than the wolfweres the party may have already faced, is looking at the her. However, rather than being poised to leap and attack, it is sitting in a wooden chair near the door in the far corner of the room. A heavy tome sits on a table next to it, with a bookmark somewhere near the middle. The creature's ears are swiveled towards the party, and it inhales their scents before licking its lips.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

  2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    AC: 21 HP: 41/41 HD: 2/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 11
    Raging: No
    Reckless: No
    Resistances: Cold, Fire, Necrotic
    Conditions: --
    Rages: 1/3
    Relentless Endurance: 0/1

    Sabian moves to the fore, shield and spear ready to deal with the beast in the room, Can you speak, creature? Do you have any last words?
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2024-05-14 at 03:08 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Infernally Clay's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Cassandra Hartdegen
    High Elf Wizard Bladesinger 4
    AC: 15 | HP: 31/31 | HD: 2/4
    Spell Slots: 1st: 2/3 | 2nd: 0/3
    Spells Prepared:
    1st - Shield, Absorb Elements, Burning Hands
    2nd - Misty Step, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere, Web

    Bladesongs: 0/2
    Arcane Recovery (2): 0/1
    Active Effects: None
    Concentrating: None
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)

    "Hello there," Cass says, as cordially as she can as she enters the room so the others can too if they want, before pointing at the tome on the table, "I like to get a bit of time to myself for reading too."

    She taps the spellbook she is never seen without. "What is it you're reading, anyway?"
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Pyrophilios's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Titus Malvallée
    Half-Elf Celestial Warlock 4
    AC: 17 HP: 31/31 HD: 4/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 12 PIst: 11
    Healing Light: 3/5
    Resistances:
    Conditions:
    Spell slots: 2/2

    Titus looked on with amazement - both for the apparent book learned monster as well as the reactions of his fellow hunters.

    With as much grace as he could muster under the circumstances, he stepped forward, making a slight bow and said:

    "Excuse our unannounced entrance, but we had a rather rough journey getting here. We are the descendants of the Belmonte Clan. This is Cass, Cloe Mustafa, Sabian and my name is Titus.

    Might we inquire, who you are?"


    Spoiler
    Show

    Trying to charm him with persuasion

    (1d20+7)[14]


  5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    He speaks with a guttural voice. “I am Brother Iorghu. I don’t know who you are, and fair-seeming strangers have done great harm recently. You should leave. It is not safe.”
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

  6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Pyrophilios's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Titus Malvallée
    Half-Elf Celestial Warlock 4
    AC: 17 HP: 31/31 HD: 4/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 12 PIst: 11
    Healing Light: 3/5
    Resistances:
    Conditions:
    Spell slots: 2/2

    Titus took this information at face value and continued:

    "We are travelers and shadow hunters - on our way to end the curse of Dracula that has befallen the land. Can you tell us more about those strangers? If there is a way to prove our good intend let us know, we do not fear such a challenge."

  7. - Top - End - #877
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    AC: 21 HP: 41/41 HD: 2/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 11
    Raging: No
    Reckless: No
    Resistances: Cold, Fire, Necrotic
    Conditions: --
    Rages: 1/3
    Relentless Endurance: 0/1

    No, Sabian says, it is not our good intent that needs proving. We have fought wolves, dire wolves, wolfweres, and shade wolves all the way to get here. Why should he be no different? Sabian points his spear at the creature with a threatening smile, You are an agent of Dracula, are you not?

  8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    “Not long ago, there were forty of us. Now there are many less, and those of us who remain are changed into this accursed form. A servant of evil came among us, disguised as a wandering priest seeking respite from the world. When the curse of the vampire – you’ve seen him when you’ve tried to sleep? – came upon us all, he struck, turning into a ravening beast in the night and attacking many in their sleep.”

    “We fought back, and slew him in the end, but many were… changed, as I am. With becoming a werewolf comes a hunger for flesh and blood, and bouts of madness. Those who are not as we are smell like prey. They - you - make it harder to resist the beastly nature forced upon us.

    All who remain at Laruba Monastery have fallen prey to this curse. We have decided to isolate ourselves here, that we may not accidentally spread it to others. Suicide is a sin, but there are plenty of fish in the lake. We shall not starve to death. But you should leave.”


    His eyes linger on Chloe and he sniffs again. He tries to cover it, but isn't very good at concealing his attention. She realizes she's the only person who has injuries that are still bleeding [everyone else is at full HP].
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

  9. - Top - End - #879
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    AC: 21 HP: 41/41 HD: 2/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 11
    Raging: No
    Reckless: No
    Resistances: Cold, Fire, Necrotic
    Conditions: --
    Rages: 1/3
    Relentless Endurance: 0/1

    You said you were forty, but now many less. How many of you remain?

  10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    His eyes narrow under his bestial brow. "Enough to stop any who seek to take this place for their own."
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

  11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Pyrophilios's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    [QUOTE=Pyrophilios;26012121]
    Titus Malvallée
    Half-Elf Celestial Warlock 4
    AC: 17 HP: 31/31 HD: 4/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 12 PIst: 11
    Healing Light: 3/5
    Resistances:
    Conditions:
    Spell slots: 2/2

    Titus shook his head:

    "Just such tragic events happen all over - we are here to help, not to aggravate. Is the body of the infiltrator still around? There are legends about the tainted blood also being the key to salvation from the curse."

    With a casual step, Titus moved in front of Cloe to break the brother's line of sight.

  12. - Top - End - #882
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Infernally Clay's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Cassandra Hartdegen
    High Elf Wizard Bladesinger 4
    AC: 15 | HP: 31/31 | HD: 2/4
    Spell Slots: 1st: 2/3 | 2nd: 0/3
    Spells Prepared:
    1st - Shield, Absorb Elements, Burning Hands
    2nd - Misty Step, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere, Web

    Bladesongs: 0/2
    Arcane Recovery (2): 0/1
    Active Effects: None
    Concentrating: None
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)

    Cass approaches the werewolf without fear and kneels before him, looking up to him as she speaks.

    "What a horrible night to have a curse," she says sympathetically, "But don't lose hope. It's what he wants. We'll find a way to break the curse, together."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cass will try to recall any information that might help her figure out how to break a lycanthropic curse. If the encyclopaedias do not contain the knowledge, she will attempt a check.

    History or religion check, whichever is more relevant: (1d20+5)[6]
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Chloé Clement
    High Elf Alchemist Artificer
    AC: 17 HP: 28/31 (0/4 HD)
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Experimental Elixir: Resilience (Sabian) Decanter: 1/3
    Spell Slots - 1st: 0/3

    Recognising that the wolfman seems interested in her, she makes herself smaller - taking a position behind the rest of them, staying silent, and dabbing a few droplets of solution on her belt. She didn't anticipate it would save her from any concerted effort, diluted as it was, but it might help mask the scent of her injuries.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Magical Tinkering: Odor (Wolfsbane)



    Spoiler: Servant Statblock
    Show

    PB=2

    Tiny construct
    Armor Class: 13 (natural armor)
    Hit Points: 9 (1 + your Intelligence modifier + your artificer level (the homunculus has a number of Hit Dice [d4s] equal to your artificer level))
    Speed: 20 ft., fly 30 ft.
    STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    4 (-3) 15 (+2) 12 (+1) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 7 (−2)
    Saving Throws: Dex +2 plus PB
    Skills: Perception +0 plus PB x 2, Stealth +2 plus PB
    Damage Immunities: poison
    Condition Immunities: exhaustion, poisoned
    Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10 + (PB x 2)
    Languages: understands the languages you speak
    Challenge: —
    Proficiency Bonus (PB): equals your bonus
    Evasion. If the homunculus is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails. It can't use this trait if it's incapacitated.
    Actions
    Force Strike. Ranged Weapon Attack: (+6) your spell attack modifier to hit, range 30 ft., one target you can see. Hit: 1d4 + 2 (PB) force damage.
    Reactions
    Channel Magic. The homunculus delivers a spell you cast that has a range of touch. The homunculus must be within 120 feet of you.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

    Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

    Master Homebrew Index (5e)

  14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    "Yes, the body of the infiltrator is upon the roof, with the other bodies. There is nothing here to help with whatever quest you are on. Again, you should leave. It is not safe. We are not safe."

    You can safely infer that Brother Iorghu doesn't know anything about a relic of Dracula being stored here.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

  15. - Top - End - #885
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    AC: 21 HP: 41/41 HD: 2/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 11
    Raging: No
    Reckless: No
    Resistances: Cold, Fire, Necrotic
    Conditions: --
    Rages: 1/3
    Relentless Endurance: 0/1

    Sabian's heart does not stir at the werewolf's story; he is a trained warrior, and others are suffering under the shadow of Dracula's looming return. This creature is tainted, and nearly ready to strike.

    We are trained monster hunters of the Order, wolf-beast. Do not think you are the only predator here. We seek entry into the monastery, and we will gain it one way or another. Using this refuge to waste away as tainted monsters is the true sin here. If you cannot do what needs to be done and rid the world of your corruption, I offer you this; gather all that remains of your order to a remote part of the island. Allow us entry into the monastery to complete our mission. Once we leave, you can return to your comfort, though what comfort you can gain safe behind these walls while others die defending their villages I do not know.

  16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Pyrophilios's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Titus Malvallée
    Half-Elf Celestial Warlock 4
    AC: 17 HP: 31/31 HD: 4/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 12 PIst: 11
    Healing Light: 3/5
    Resistances:
    Conditions:
    Spell slots: 2/2

    "Killing each other if we don't have to, will only help Dracula. But yes, please, gather your brothers somewhere discreet, so we can take a look at the curse bringer - and maybe, we can help you. It's getting dark and going back is as dangerous as staying here.

    Please, you have to see that this is the best option for all involved."


    Titus pleaded, though he could feel the impending violence, while he discreetly manifested his weapon as a doublebladed sword.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Persuation
    (1d20+7)[15]

  17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Infernally Clay's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Cassandra Hartdegen
    High Elf Wizard Bladesinger 4
    AC: 15 | HP: 31/31 | HD: 2/4
    Spell Slots: 1st: 2/3 | 2nd: 0/3
    Spells Prepared:
    1st - Shield, Absorb Elements, Burning Hands
    2nd - Misty Step, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere, Web

    Bladesongs: 0/2
    Arcane Recovery (2): 0/1
    Active Effects: None
    Concentrating: None
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)

    "Do you know what this is?" Cass says, holding up the Vampire Killer, "Like you, we survived the vampire's attack but, like you, we lost so much. We aren't giving up. We're going to help everyone we can and we're going to find that bloody vampire and make him pay for the suffering he has caused. Our ancestors did it once before. We'll do it again."

    She looks at her allies, "We don't want to hurt you, we want to help you and then perhaps you can in turn help others. This place is the perfect refuge for everyone fleeing from the creatures of the night and you must be a good person to wait here and warn others away. Dracula seeks to isolate us, to drive us apart and make us believe we are alone and must suffer and die alone. We must not allow him to."

    "So why don't we try to do something about this curse of yours?"
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2024-05-15 at 11:21 AM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Brother Iorghu

    The werewolf monk stands. His claws are extended, and his balance shifts, for a moment... but the moment passes. "I do not think you can do anything, or at least not quickly, but the Order is well-known, and I've heard of that whip. I can take you to the rooftop to inspect the remains. I'll walk in front and warn others away. A moment."

    He goes through the door, and up some stairs, calling back down "Oh, and bind your wounds so they don't smell of blood please."

    You hear a short conversation echo down the stairs.
    Spoiler: Passive Perception 16 or higher
    Show

    There are two others up there. Brother Boros asks if Iorghu thinks the group that just arrived can just kill him honestly.
    Brother Viktor doesn't think they need help and can take all comers, but is interested in the prospect of a cure.

    Doors open and close.


    He calls down: "Come on up. Follow at a distance, but be careful. The madness is a constant temptation with you around. Try not to bleed or do anything that would provoke unnatural instincts. Words of encouragement might help. Aside from our faith, each of us fights our own battle moment by moment.”

    You follow up the stairs to a small room. It’s about 20’x20’, with a narrow, easily blocked tunnel to the docks, stairs going down, and doors on the east and north side leading out to the rest of the monastery. There are cushions on the floor that appear recently sat-on. The north door is shut, but the eastern door is open, revealing a dimly lit storage area. Iorghu is inside, about 40' ahead of you. The storage area seems to run the rest of the length of the building, then turns north. There are neat stacks of un-used lumber, bags of flour, barrels of salted pork, extra fishing tackle, and other similar bulk supplies here.

    Eventually, you reach stairs in the opposite corner from where you came up. It seems the structure is designed to make you go the long way around each floor if you wish to go up - and the center area doesn't have any access from here that you can see.

    The staircase up from the first floor emerges at the junction between the kitchen and the refectory. A stool and podium with a holy book on it stands near the juncture between kitchen and dining area, allowing someone to sit and read to everyone during a meal. Narrow windows allow plenty of light in during the day, and sconces on the walls hold candles at night. The fire in the kitchen hearth is nothing but smoldering embers. The benches are stacked on top of the tables currently
    Two werewolves stand at the far end of the refectory from you, one holding a mop and another a broom.

    You go the other way. The remainder of this floor seems to be devoted to the monks’ individual cells. Thin stone walls separate them from each other. Each is lit by a single narrow window, and contains a basic sleeping pallet, as well as cushions to sit or kneel on, a chair, a small table with candle-holder, and perhaps a small tapestry or other minor personal possessions.

    The stairs up to the third floor are in the southwest corner.

    The third floor exterior ring is entirely composed of the monks’ cells, just as on the second floor. You do another trip around half of the building, following Iorghu at a distance. "It takes many steps to get anywhere here. Time for contemplation of intent and actions."

    Spoiler: Passive Perception 15+
    Show

    You hear snoring coming from one of the cells.


    Near the stairs up to the roof is an open doorway. There is a door-frame, but it is very scratched up and the door appears to have been ripped off of it. Beyond it is a doorway. You take the stairs up.

    The rooftop is nearly flat, sloped just enough for rain to run off to the edge and out small drains cut in the crenellations. Today, the roof is stained red, and smells of death.

    The bodies of over two dozen monks are laid out on the roof, exposed to the sun and the elements. Off to the side is also the body of a larger person with wolfish features, perhaps the size of a Goliath, impaled with a silvered sword through the heart.

    Iorghu steps off to the side, although he seems unusually alert, perhaps due to all the blood. “When we die, we are judged and all secrets are laid bare. So with the body as well. When the bones are clean, we take them to the ossuary. Except the false wolf-man. His bones will be given to the lake once we are sure there is no life left in them. Until then, the sword stays where it is. Do not remove it..”

    => Party
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

  19. - Top - End - #889
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Infernally Clay's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Cassandra Hartdegen
    High Elf Wizard Bladesinger 4
    AC: 15 | HP: 31/31 | HD: 2/4
    Spell Slots: 1st: 2/3 | 2nd: 0/3
    Spells Prepared:
    1st - Shield, Absorb Elements, Burning Hands
    2nd - Misty Step, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere, Web

    Bladesongs: 0/2
    Arcane Recovery (2): 0/1
    Active Effects: None
    Concentrating: None
    Conditions: Exhaustion (1)

    Cassandra kneels by the corpse and begins to investigate it, taking care not to touch the sword keeping it in stasis.

    "We are deeply grateful for your help, Iorghu," she says to the werewolf, "Now lets see what we can learn."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Detect Magic and Identify as rituals.

    Religion check: (1d20+5)[25] (disadvantage, rolled 24 in Discord)
    Arcana check: (1d20+5)[23] (disadvantage, rolled 23 in Discord)
    Investigation check: (1d20+3)[22] (disadvantage, rolled 13 in Discord)
    Nature check: (1d20+3)[12] (disadvantage, rolled 13 in Discord)

    Just covering all my bases. Does the Encyclopedia of Monsters contain any relevant information on lycanthropes?
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2024-05-15 at 01:03 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Pyrophilios's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Titus Malvallée
    Half-Elf Celestial Warlock 4
    AC: 17 HP: 31/31 HD: 4/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 12 PIst: 11
    Healing Light: 3/5
    Resistances:
    Conditions:
    Spell slots: 1/2

    Titus touched Cloe's arm and let flow another measure of healing energy to close the open wounds while following the monk through the maze up to the roof.

    Once there, he nodded respectfully: "We will do what we can - is there somewhere, where we can shelter in safety while we do our research?"

    Spoiler
    Show


    Cure Wounds
    (2d8+5)[11]

  21. - Top - End - #891
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    AC: 21 HP: 41/41 HD: 2/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 11
    Raging: No
    Reckless: No
    Resistances: Cold, Fire, Necrotic
    Conditions: --
    Rages: 1/3
    Relentless Endurance: 0/1

    When the werewolf goes ahead to prepare the way, Sabian turns to the others and whispers, Their tale is tragic, but remember, it's not just that any of these wolves can kill us. A single bite can taint us just the same and leave us trapped here with them. We must be very careful, the entire mission is at stake here. The monks were harmed by Dracula, but now they are extremely dangerous, and we should not forget that.

    Iorghu calls down: "Come on up. Follow at a distance, but be careful. The madness is a constant temptation with you around. Try not to bleed or do anything that would provoke unnatural instincts. Words of encouragement might help. Aside from our faith, each of us fights our own battle moment by moment.”

    Sabian eyes the others before taking the lead with his shield ready before him. He wants to offer words of encouragement, but his nerves are high and he is tense, ready for violence. He remains silent instead, and on alert. He makes an effort to remember the turns they take on their way to the roof.

    Once outside, he takes in the scene of the battle. Several questions come to mind, but he says, Is that the only way up or down from the roof?

  22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Cassandra is able to verify that the creature is a werewolf, apparently a natural one...and quite large. It must have arrived in a disguise - probably before Dracula made his move on the Order, if what you've been told is correct. It looks like it was quite strong and tough. It doesn't appear to have any lingering signs of life, so it's probably safe to remove the sword, although you've been told not to.

    Lycanthropy is a mix of a curse and a disease. The body may reject it, although it may be harder to fight off if it comes from a natural werewolf or if someone's under the effects of some other sort of curse or debuff. There's no lingering evidence of that, but it's entirely possible that Dracula's curse empowered the initial attacker in some way.
    If caught early on, a Remove Curse or Remove Disease spell should end it. However, once lycanthropy has fully taken root, reversing the effect would require Greater Restoration or another spell of similar nature and power.

    --
    The interior stairs are the only way up to the roof aside from climbing the exterior or flying.
    The view across the lake is quite nice, although a breeze makes it a bit chilly.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

  23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Chloé Clement
    High Elf Alchemist Artificer
    AC: 17 HP: 28/31 (0/4 HD)
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Experimental Elixir: Resilience (Sabian) Decanter: 1/3
    Spell Slots - 1st: 0/3

    Waiting for flesh to rot and slough from bone seemed a waste to her. Even 'dead' was it was, it could have been harvested for parts. Werewolf teeth had their place in numerous elixirs - when powdered, they served as a potent catalyst for anything that used moonwater as a base. Its blood, when properly treated, could induce enraging effects similar to those Sabian used. Its brains...she hadn't actually read of any uses for them, yet, but maybe if she'd had the opportunity and time she might be able to discover some. Werewolf brains were in short supply for experimental purposes, and some people frowned on the ethics of using them (as if teeth and blood were acceptable but brains weren't - hypocrisy at its finest).

    But she was in even shorter supply of time. And she didn't really want to draw any more attention to herself. She maintains her distance, and despite her desire to take a few 'souvenirs' holds back. There'd probably be more to come, ones that didn't have a monk warning her away from it.


    Spoiler: Servant Statblock
    Show

    PB=2

    Tiny construct
    Armor Class: 13 (natural armor)
    Hit Points: 9 (1 + your Intelligence modifier + your artificer level (the homunculus has a number of Hit Dice [d4s] equal to your artificer level))
    Speed: 20 ft., fly 30 ft.
    STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    4 (-3) 15 (+2) 12 (+1) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 7 (−2)
    Saving Throws: Dex +2 plus PB
    Skills: Perception +0 plus PB x 2, Stealth +2 plus PB
    Damage Immunities: poison
    Condition Immunities: exhaustion, poisoned
    Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10 + (PB x 2)
    Languages: understands the languages you speak
    Challenge: —
    Proficiency Bonus (PB): equals your bonus
    Evasion. If the homunculus is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails. It can't use this trait if it's incapacitated.
    Actions
    Force Strike. Ranged Weapon Attack: (+6) your spell attack modifier to hit, range 30 ft., one target you can see. Hit: 1d4 + 2 (PB) force damage.
    Reactions
    Channel Magic. The homunculus delivers a spell you cast that has a range of touch. The homunculus must be within 120 feet of you.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

    Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

    Master Homebrew Index (5e)

  24. - Top - End - #894
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Brazil

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Mustafa the Vampiralgietch
    Human Cleric 4 (Light Domain)
    AC: 17 HP: 31/31
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Exhausted 1
    Concentrating: --
    Channel Divinity: 1/1
    Warding Flare: 1/3

    The monastery brought Mustafa a distant feeling of familiarity. While he had never been to Laruba itself before, the soldier-priest had spent long winters cloistered in mosques, and monasteries and temples devoted to other gods of light, huddled up in their libraries taking lessons on theology, medicine, algebra, philosophy, logic, law and, of course, magic and creatures of the night. The silence brought him peace, even though danger seemed to lurk at every corner.

    Glimpsing the lake under the evening sky, Mustafa whispered back to Sabian and the others, making sure the monk wouldn't overhear them: "It would be an evil deed to slay peaceful monks, even if they're cursed. After all, they are doing their best to keep the world safe from their claws and fangs." He looked at the mountains to the north. "I say we barricade ourselves in one their cells for the night, and leave this place on the morrow. We can come back for the sword later, if we need it. Either way, we'll have to backtrack through here on our way back to the headquarters, when we finally gather the other relics on this side of he valley. What do you think?"
    Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: IC | OOC
    Playing Dracula's Curse: IC | OOC | Mustafa

  25. - Top - End - #895
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    AC: 21 HP: 41/41 HD: 2/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 11
    Raging: No
    Reckless: No
    Resistances: Cold, Fire, Necrotic
    Conditions: --
    Rages: 1/3
    Relentless Endurance: 0/1

    Sabian nods as Mustafa speaks, and then says If I thought they would remain like this forever, I might agree Mustafa. But who knows how much longer they will resist their bloodlust? The curse that Dracula has blanketed the lands with may affect them worse. When we return, we may find a monastery full of starving ravenous werewolves. I say we find the skull now, while we seem to have the opportunity.

  26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Pyrophilios's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Titus Malvallée
    Half-Elf Celestial Warlock 4
    AC: 17 HP: 31/31 HD: 4/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 12 PIst: 11
    Healing Light: 3/5
    Resistances:
    Conditions:
    Spell slots: 1/2

    Titus nodded: "I have to agree. I don't like the idea of harming them. But we need the relics. If they can't be saved, all we can do is try to find it and find somewhere safe to spend the night. The roof isn't the worst place to stay, though a bit cold and unfortunately open to bat incursions. Still, we should collect blood from the patient 0 werewolf. Maybe we can find someone who can use sympathetic magic to undo the curse remotely. When we fight the monks, I'd ask you to be merciful and only subdue them if possible in close combat. We can put them in cells then. I hope to proof worthy to my patron and gain another measure of his grace after we are done with this task. If we can take them out one by one, without alerting the whole bunch - or better yet evade them while we search - we might even survive this place."

  27. - Top - End - #897
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Brazil

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Mustafa the Vampiralgietch
    Human Cleric 4 (Light Domain)
    AC: 17 HP: 31/31
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Exhausted 1
    Concentrating: --
    Channel Divinity: 1/1
    Warding Flare: 1/3

    Mustafa gave a subtle tilt of his head. "I suppose beating up and imprisoning innocent monks won't be as much of a sin as slaughtering them." He haggled with himself, weighing the importance of his vows against the material reality he was living right now. Attacking monks would be wrong, yes, but what if it makes the difference between saving the people of this land or allowing Dracula to consolidate his power?

    He detatched himself from the discussion, so all that whispering wouln't look weird to the weremonk. "Brother Iorghu. I understand our presence here is a burden, but I am a man of faith, and I believe in the power of these walls. We are under the ancient law of Sanctuary. No harm shall befall us." He gave a courtly nod. "Is there a place I can withdraw to and pray to my god? Somewhere I can see the sky and face East. Of course I would much rather join the other monks in prayer, but I understand if you think this would be too much."
    Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: IC | OOC
    Playing Dracula's Curse: IC | OOC | Mustafa

  28. - Top - End - #898
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Sabian Skellegue
    Half-Orc Barbarian
    AC: 21 HP: 41/41 HD: 2/4
    PPer: 13 PInv: 10 PIst: 11
    Raging: No
    Reckless: No
    Resistances: Cold, Fire, Necrotic
    Conditions: --
    Rages: 1/3
    Relentless Endurance: 0/1

    Sabian glances at the werewolf and then seems to decide that he doesn't mind if it hears him, I don't think going off to pray with these... monks, is a wise idea Mustafa. We should stay together.

    To Iorghu he says, We require access to your relics. We are endowed with the artifacts of our families, he motions with his shield, but our mission requires other items to prevent Dracula from fully taking hold. Can you lead us there?

  29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    "I don't know anything about relics. The Abbot and the older monks didn't survive. There was so much blood..." He shivers, then leaps at Sabian with a snarl, overcome by the evil working in his flesh.
    Spoiler: Attack
    Show

    Claw (1d20+6)[20] for (1d6+3)[9] slashing damage

    Claw (1d20+6)[14] for (1d6+3)[6] slashing damage

    Bite (1d20+6)[21] for (1d8+3)[11] piercing damage
    If the bite hits: Con DC 13 or infection.
    Sabian Con save (1d20)[19]

    BA: Stunning blow: If one of his claw attacks hits, DC 13 Con save or stunned for 1 round.
    Sabian Con save (1d20)[2]



    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

    Sabian (1d20+2)[16]
    Cassandra (1d20+3)[9] Cassandra (1d20+3)[20] 1 exh
    Mustafar (1d20+0)[20] Mustafar (1d20+0)[3] 1 exh
    Chloe (1d20+2)[13]
    Titus (1d20+2)[10]

    Brother Iorghu (1d20+3)[19]
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

  30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Castlevania II: Dracula's Curse (IC)

    Iorghu's claws skitter off Sabian's armor, but he does manage to take a mouthful of bloody flesh. "Oh, that's delicious..." he rasps out.

    Before anyone can react, he continues his assault, raking his claws across Sabian's arms and face.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Claw (1d20+6)[24] for (1d6+3)[5]
    Claw (1d20+6)[24] for (1d6+3)[5]
    Bite (1d20+6)[14] for (1d8+3)[11]

    Bite: Con save against infection (1d20)[5]
    BA Stunning blow: If a claw hits, Con save against stun (1d20)[14]


    Initiative
    Brother Iorghu
    Sabian
    Chloe
    Titus
    Cassandra
    Mustafa

    => Party is up
    Sabian is adjacent to Iorghu.
    Mustafa is within 10'
    Everyone else is within 40'
    Last edited by J-H; 2024-05-17 at 06:13 PM.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •