New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rebel Moon final trailer

Quote Originally Posted by The Patterner View Post
    It really feels like there is two camps here, we have camp the bigger a director gets the more control they have.

And camp, the bigger a director gets, the less control they have.

And personally I find myself in camp a little from column A and a little from column B. It's clear that studios will invest more money and are more likely to take a chance on a big directors more outlandish ideas. But it's also clear that when they have invested a lot of money they will want to keep an eye on the project.
    How about this - the more successful a director has been, particularly with their last couple projects, the greater relative control they will have for future projects.

By this I mean the bigger your box office, or box office per movie, the more say you get in a new project as compared to a less successful director. Assuming your name isn't Spielberg or Cameron you're never going to have absolute power on a $200M+ budget. But Nolan, Bay, Jackson, and well down the list Snyder...they'll get more input on Studio A's big $350M production than directors who have grossed $250M across 10 pictures.

Re: Campaigning for release of the Snyder cut

Why in the world would it be a bad thing for a commercial art producer to advocate for fans to want to see their commercial art? Even if they dress it up in humblebrags, it is literally the point of their chosen career.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

The part two trailer is infinitely better than the part one trailer. Part 1 gave me "tonally confused StarWars with too much stuff and too many characters", this gives me "badass action, cool pulp setting". I don't know what the actual difference is, but this works for me.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

If I had known that Rebel Moon II had dropped on Friday, I'd have given it a look. Might be able to this weekend.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...be760fdb&ei=17

A review, but it has some spoilers.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a pretty competemt action film, not groundbreaking, nothing especially wrong with it.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    It's a pretty competemt action film, not groundbreaking, nothing especially wrong with it.
    There is one thing very "off" about this film. It's the consistent glaring anachronism and tech mismatch factor.

You have an anti-gravity cart on which the grain is collected and piled during harvest, but the grain harvest is solely by hand tools. Jarring discontinuity in tech level.

The battleship guns (near the end) and how they are trained and aimed. IT's right out of a WW II movie but this is a space faring culture. We had better fire control for remote gun mounts in the US Navy in the 1970's for goodness sake. (The 5" guns on the Spruance Destroyers/Ticonderoga Cruisers).

Dude with two hand axes fighting squads of infantry in powered armor who are supported by tanks in what is basically an open field. Not to mention the volume of fire coming out of the tank's machine guns that don't seen to hit anyone or anything.
    Those are only three. I'll stop there.

But let get to a few of the positives:

Some of the in-close combat scenes (how to get a satchel charge into a drop ship, or a grenade into a tank) were quite good
    The hand-to-hand combat is mostly well choreographed.
    The red blades were hot, the blue blades were cold, and it hurt to hold them without gloves/wrapping. I liked that.

Back story for the blade-mistress was cool.
    Back story for the general: wait a sec, why was he left alive?
    Back story for the mask lady: OK, that's how you get a rebel.
    Back story for the handsome prince: OK, I guess? (And it appears to be linked to the back story of Kora).
    Back story for Kora: OK, not sure why the princess isn't dead but I guess we'll find out in chapter 3.

Fixing the old drop ship by turning it on two years later: OK, they have better batteries than we do.

The Death of Caeser, reskinned. OK.

Parking the drop ship behind a waterfall in a large cave. I like that a lot.

The can-of-beans sized timed-to-go-off charges for sabotage: like them.

The terrible marksmanship of the guys in powered armor: well, if this is like Star Wars then it's tied to "Stormtroopers can't shoot straight trope." If you are gonna do that, go all in. They did.

I'm not dead yet: OK, that was fun and reasonably well done.

Ambush / surprise attack: Well done.

The doctors / scientists in robes with masks and weird hats/helms that entirely encase their heads: uh, WTF? OK, I guess that's an artistic choice.

The Grain. OK, sure.

The love scene / scenes: tastefully done. +1.

The dialogue: for the most part stilted and forced. Little of it flowed naturally, but it was effective in getting most points across.

Super Duper Robot Ninja Warrior: OK, why not.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-04-24 at 11:20 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society