New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive X: Please Don't Feel Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    They keep mentioning how the review show doesn't have a name, but the channel must have a name right? Is the channel just "Susan Pompoms" (or Susan P. to not show her last name)? I don't know why I am asking you this since I am sure it was never answered in the comic.
    They were originally doing it as advertizement for Tensaide's shop so it might be hosted on his website.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

They keep mentioning how the review show doesn't have a name, but the channel must have a name right? Is the channel just "Susan Pompoms" (or Susan P. to not show her last name)? I don't know why I am asking you this since I am sure it was never answered in the comic.
    I would assume the channel would have both their names.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

The channel is clearly called Unnamed. Or Nameless, [Insert Name Here], Blank, ' ', or whatever variation you think of.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

Re: Hope #42, feels like panels 2 & 4 are playing up the Susan/Hope resemblance to go with them both being here more-or-less exclusively to play with Sarah.

Thinking more about this, Susan might be the best one of Pandora's Family for Hope to first (properly) engage with from her perspective. Pandora was a mother to Adrian, a mother *figure* to Tedd, and a potential grandmother to Diane & Noah; while Diane freaked out and ran away at the end of the mall incident. The problem with Grace is that she's a scary extrovert, which is the opposite of Hope right now. Diane tends towards that too, but not quite to the same way/extent.

Meanwhile, Susan is a self-described "introverted nut" who held herself together at the mall after Pandora's "death" while Diane & Adrian were losing their heads, barely knew Pandora and is a very distant relation. She might actually be who Hope needs most right now to move past family panic.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2024-03-15 at 08:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245

RedKnightGirl

I wouldn't be surprised if someone other than Sarah figures it out first, since Hope's putting so much of this on Sarah specifically. Susan not having existing expectations from the previous regeneration is an interesting detail though, I don't know if that'd be a help or a hindrance here.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

It's been months since Sarah and Sam met? When was the timeskip again?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's been months since Sam attended the card tournament in particular and probably the comic shop in general, so that people would be less likely to notice his transformation. There was no reason for Sam and Sarah not to meet in that time - at least no reason after they talked about te transformation magic secret.

edit: I like how Sarah both went with the agitated and rushing crowd tradition and insisted on them coming in properly early at the same time.
    Last edited by Radar; 2024-03-27 at 04:59 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #248

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Layers. Goes from end of winter to everyone in summer outfits, so late spring at the earliest. That's after four weeks pass between the Griffin meetings, so at least three months.
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-03-27 at 05:08 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It's been months since Sam attended the card tournament in particular and probably the comic shop in general, so that people would be less likely to notice his transformation. There was no reason for Sam and Sarah not to meet in that time - at least no reason after they talked about te transformation magic secret.
    Strictly, we don't know they have talked about it. They might have done during the timeskip, but Sarah figured it out during the party from Grace's various panics rather than because Sam told her.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Strictly, we don't know they have talked about it. They might have done during the timeskip, but Sarah figured it out during the party from Grace's various panics rather than because Sam told her.
    Right, Sam talked with Grace - not Sarah. For some reason I mixed it up.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    edit: I like how Sarah both went with the agitated and rushing crowd tradition and insisted on them coming in properly early at the same time.
    Agreed, especially since there's other people coming in with them, implying that the usual last-minute thing is deliberate enough that they were able to convince several other regulars (presumably hanging around the general area already) to go along with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #252

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Agreed, especially since there's other people coming in with them, implying that the usual last-minute thing is deliberate enough that they were able to convince several other regulars (presumably hanging around the general area already) to go along with it.
    My assumption was that Some Guy and Phone Dude are friends of Sam, or at least friend-adjacent.
    Last edited by Errorname; 2024-03-28 at 11:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

You may ask, why did this tradition get started? I'll tell you why - I don't know. But it's a tradition, and because of our traditions, everyone knows who he is.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Is Sam using his spell? I thought he would be, but I'm fairly certain it gave him a bulkier top.

Maybe it's because he's still not out to Sarah regarding his magic.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #255

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Is Sam using his spell? I thought he would be, but I'm fairly certain it gave him a bulkier top.
    I would assume so, especially since he's not wearing his concealing pockets. I think it's just the angle and the lighter clothing

16. - Top - End - #256

Does he even need to? If you're enchanted with a transformation, and it lasts thirty days because you want it, it becomes permanent now. It's certainly been more than that since he was marked (during Sister III, before Pandora "died".)

Maybe it's because he's still not out to Sarah regarding his magic.
    If anything, it would be the reverse. If he hasn't talked to Sarah about it, he's likely to assume she doesn't know anything about him being trans, and would be extra-careful about not being untransformed around her.

17. - Top - End - #257

RedKnightGirl

Does he even need to? If you're enchanted with a transformation, and it lasts thirty days because you want it, it becomes permanent now. It's certainly been more than that since he was marked (during Sister III, before Pandora "died".)
    Unless he's out to his family he's almost certainly not remaining enchanted 24/7

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

EGS:NP...

So, Lucy looks in the mirror and....

Now, that's not a good self image to have...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Feeling increasingly hopeful that this NP storyline is going to lead to this lot learning of each other's awareness of magic. Most likely via Lucy (the only one not in on magic, as far as we know) noticing or encountering something magic (Catalina being unsubtle?) and both Rhoda and Diane trying to explain things at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

21. - Top - End - #261

Feeling increasingly hopeful that this NP storyline is going to lead to this lot learning of each other's awareness of magic. Most likely via Lucy (the only one not in on magic, as far as we know) noticing or encountering something magic (Catalina being unsubtle?) and both Rhoda and Diane trying to explain things at the same time.
    Yeah, there's too much stressing over Lucy's size issues in the last couple of strips - as well as making sure Rhoda's size magic gets demo'd - for Lucy not to get shrunk at some point.

OTOH, I don't see it being Catalina's "fault" - she's managed to keep quiet about magic for most of a year after all (Pandora noted shortly before she marked Catalina "last October" that she'd managed to keep her mouth shut about Rhoda's magic, and we're now well into spring at the very least).
    Last edited by Reboot; 2024-04-13 at 08:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Wow, that's just adorable. Especially the way they eat whole animals, so cute.

Show

23. - Top - End - #263

I feel like today's would be an "oh snap" if there wasn't a whole tournament to go here. There's no way Hope is going to have a proper talk with Tedd at this point in the arc, Elan would not approve.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Elan would not approve.
    I misread that as "Ellen" and got really confused.

25. - Top - End - #265

RedKnightGirl

I will say, very funny when this comic has characters angsting about being too tall when they're not even 6".

Wow, that's just adorable. Especially the way they eat whole animals, so cute.
    I struggle to think of a cute animal that doesn't have uglier qualities.

I feel like today's would be an "oh snap" if there wasn't a whole tournament to go here. There's no way Hope is going to have a proper talk with Tedd at this point in the arc, Elan would not approve.
    Sure, but they can still have a significant interaction even if this isn't the moment when all is revealed.

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    I will say, very funny when this comic has characters angsting about being too tall when they're not even 6".
    IKR. Moperville is full of shorties.

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Sure, but they can still have a significant interaction even if this isn't the moment when all is revealed.
    The more I think about it, the more I think that they'll be interrupted almost immediately by the tournament starting. There can't have been more than five or so minutes left to the start *before* Hope had her latest BotW-Link moment, with Sam's crew coming in at 6:50pm.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't think it was possible, but Rhoda has somehow become even more adorable.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Is it possible that Hope is the first cast member to intentionally be written as ND?

Show

29. - Top - End - #269

Is it possible that Hope is the first cast member to intentionally be written as ND?
    Diane did foreground in-comic the possibility of Noah being neurodivergent and Tedd having ADHD (and see the commentary on that strip) already.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Diane did foreground in-comic the possibility of Noah being neurodivergent and Tedd having ADHD (and see the commentary on that strip) already.
    Yes, two characters that were written to have traits of Dan before Dan realised he was nerodivergent.

Hope, meanwhile, was written after that, so any neurodivergent traits are actually intentional.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."