New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 3.5: 38 pages, and I still don't know how to play D&D

A99bis: This is never made clear in the rules as far as I know. In general, since 'race' and 'template' are two separate entities in the rules, I believe it is more RAW to treat them as separate things. So dragonborn would not remove template abilities. Of course then there are questions about what happens if the base race changes in a way that makes the template no longer legal or what happens with a template with a variable LA if the base form is no longer the same. (Half Ogre from dragon magazine). Who knows!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 3.5: 38 pages, and I still don't know how to play D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    A99bis: This is never made clear in the rules as far as I know. In general, since 'race' and 'template' are two separate entities in the rules, I believe it is more RAW to treat them as separate things. So dragonborn would not remove template abilities.
    This is kinda arguable, since RAW of templates are peppered with the "racial" word:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Rat Empathy (Ex)
    Communicate with rats and dire rats, and +4 racial bonus on Charisma-based checks against rats and dire rats.

Skills
    A wererat in rat or hybrid form uses its Dexterity modifier for Climb or Swim checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

Wererats have a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks from their dire rat form.
    If you "lose all other racial traits from your original race..." - then shouldn't you lose those too?

Also, Races of Faerûn - in the "Chapter 9: Minor Races" - includes "Lycanthropes" and "Shades", which are templates...

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q105 It is regular to use Bone/Corpse Creature (BoVD template human warriors or experts, created with the Create Undead spell, as followers for the Undead Leadership feat?

Can a golem limb be attached to an undead to create an Half-Golem?

Or, can an half-golem (one that superated the Will save and did not became a construct), once killed, be reanimated as undead?

Could an Half-Golem Corpse Creature be a follower? Or be controlled as a normal undead?
    Last edited by Samael Morgenst; 2024-04-23 at 07:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Q106

Can Arcanist's Gloves (MIC p72) affect spells cast out of an item such as a wand?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 105 a Leadership requires you to explicitly work with your DM to determine what are appropriate cohort and followers. A DM could absolutely allow you to use Corpse/Bone creatures as followers of the appropriate modified level (though not as a cohort, since cohorts must have published level adjustments by RAW).

A 105 b No, Half-Golem cannot be applied to undead.

A 105 c A Half-Golem Corpse creature cannot exist, and thus cannot be a follower, or be controlled.

A 106 Yes, as long as you're the one casting it.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

6. - Top - End - #246

DruidGuy

Q 107
    If an incantatrix applies a metamagic effect to a permanent spell effect, like a permanent stinking cloud, would the metamagic effect last indefinitely?
    am was here

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 107 Yes, until dispelled.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

8. - Top - End - #248

BardGuy

Q 108: The rules for wielding oversized weapons are kinda confusing.
    a. Since sickles are light, can a Medium creature wield a Huge sickle two-handed?
    b. is the penalty to hit -2 or -4 in that case?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by yeetusmcgeetus View Post
    Q 108: The rules for wielding oversized weapons are kinda confusing.
    a. Since sickles are light, can a Medium creature wield a Huge sickle two-handed?
    b. is the penalty to hit -2 or -4 in that case?
    A 108
    a. The measure of effort required to wield a weapon (light, 1h, 2h) increases by one step each time the weapon's size category is increased. A large sickle would be considered a one-handed weapon, and a huge sickle would be two-handed.
    b. The penalty on attack rolls for an improperly sized weapon is cumulative per size category. A huge sickle being used by a medium creature would incur a -4 penalty.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q109: Is there any way to use the earth elemental's ability to glide through earth, but with metal? That would allow a dragon to swim through a ridiculously large pile of coins, which seems appropriate for most dragons.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q110

There is any class, feat or sheningan that allows a spellcaster to obtain the familiar special skills/empowerments for himself?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samael Morgenst View Post
    Q110

There is any class, feat or sheningan that allows a spellcaster to obtain the familiar special skills/empowerments for himself?
    A110: A couple that I can think of.

If you are of a race that can be taken as both a familiar and as a PC race, such as the beguiler, you should be able to take class levels while being someone else's familiar (or possibly your own).

Higher-order deities can take any creature as a familiar, so literally anyone could be such a deity's familiar companion.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q111

Can a character with the Charming the Arrow feat apply Charisma to their attack rolls with the blade half of a Yuan-ti Serpent Bow?

Quote Originally Posted by Charming the Arrow
    With a bow or crossbow made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Charisma modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier on attack rolls.
    According to the table in Secrets of Xen'Drik, the blade half of a Yuan-ti Serpent Bow is still called a Yuan-ti Serpent Bow.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 109 The Glitterhaunt can glide through metal as well as earth as an extraordinary ability. Shapechanging, or wild shaping into one through Master of Many Forms, or stealing that ability with Illithid Savant (if your DM considers it's not part of the Glitterhaunt's anatomy, and if you can access the class in the first place) would allow you to do so as well.

A 111 The bow is not a finesseable weapon, and you apply your Str modifier, not your Dex modifier to attack rolls. There is nothing to replace, and Charming the Arrow is useless on the blade part of this bow.

15. - Top - End - #255

DruidGuy

Q 112
    The "hand crossbow focus" feat from drow of the underdark says that it counts as the weapon focus feat for anything that has weapon focus as a prerequisite.
    Does that make it count just as "weapon focus (hand crossbow)" or for any kind of weapon focus prerequisite?
    am was here

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pezzo View Post
    Q 112
    The "hand crossbow focus" feat from drow of the underdark says that it counts as the weapon focus feat for anything that has weapon focus as a prerequisite.
    Does that make it count just as "weapon focus (hand crossbow)" or for any kind of weapon focus prerequisite?
    The short answer is that it would only count as Weapon Focus (hand crossbow).

The long answer is that technically, there is no such feat as Weapon Focus (hand crossbow). The name of the feat is always just Weapon Focus. The parenthetical indicates the particular weapon chosen for the feat. So if a prerequisite calls for Weapon Focus (longsword), Hand Crossbow Focus would not count for it: you do have Weapon Focus, but you didn't choose the longsword as the associated weapon.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 113

Quote Originally Posted by Races of the Dragon, page 39
    Warm temperatures are comfortable to kobolds, who can sustain their bodies by literally soaking up heat. A kobold who inhabits a region with a temperature of 40°F or above for 24 hours can go for another three days after that time before having to eat normally.
    Does this mean a kobold who constantly stays in warm conditions never has to eat?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Q 114

Lets say my base land speed is 40

If my character has the weapon called Rapid Wrath from Ghostwalk which says:
    "This +1 mighty cleaving shortspear doubles
    the speed of a creature that carries it"

and my character also have the fiendish graft called Feathered Wings from Fiend Folio which says:
    "The grafted creature can fly at a
    speed equal to twice its normal land speed, with average
    maneuverability"

My Land speed would be 80
    Does that mean my fly speed is 160 or is that also doubled which means 320 fly speed?