New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CXXX

Everyone knows bigger is better, and I hear there's one even bigger than before? It's got my vote!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I read all several more times more carefully. Start to write evaluation.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Thanks for the update, loky.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I was slightly ill last week. Nothing serious, but it and all these bad gateways didn't help me judge. For this moment I almost judge second entry. Hope things will happen quicker.

And while you are waiting my judgement I want to promote current round of competition where I'm the chair: Zinc Saucier: Ice-IX. There you can create emulation of Father Llymic's Brood Spawn.
    🠗🠗🠗Link in my signature.🠗🠗🠗
    Last edited by loky1109; 2024-02-06 at 05:29 PM.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you for the update, and for your efforts!
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

How ya doing, loky?

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    How ya doing, loky?
    Slowly. It's tooth pain. It hinders. Removal should be tomorrow, all will became quicker.
    I'm very sorry for delaying.

My competition's medals.

Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Get well soon, loky

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Battlechaser View Post
    Get well soon, loky
    Thank you!

My competition's medals.

Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

While we're waiting for the judgements, a question to our chairman: have we considered Dungeon Delver as a secret ingredient? Crushing pre-reqs, middling BAB, skills you probably already had access to, and some shiny abilities like limited-use Augury, Blindsense, Trap Sense, and a situational bonus to Survival checks. I have multiple ideas for how to use it and I'd love to see it as the SI: I'm even willing to commit to judging the next round if that means we'll get Dungeon Delver the round after.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    While we're waiting for the judgements, a question to our chairman: have we considered Dungeon Delver as a secret ingredient? Crushing pre-reqs, middling BAB, skills you probably already had access to, and some shiny abilities like limited-use Augury, Blindsense, Trap Sense, and a situational bonus to Survival checks. I have multiple ideas for how to use it and I'd love to see it as the SI: I'm even willing to commit to judging the next round if that means we'll get Dungeon Delver the round after.
    Dungeon Delver was going to be an ingredient during Helio's time as chair, but she replaced it with Elocator because people were whining too much. I had an idea more or less in order, and wouldn't mind a Dungeon Delver round, but idk if it's in the cards.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Dungeon Delver was going to be an ingredient during Helio's time as chair, but she replaced it with Elocator because people were whining too much. I had an idea more or less in order, and wouldn't mind a Dungeon Delver round, but idk if it's in the cards.
    Oh huh, I actually participated back in that Elocater round (I think the build's in my sig), but all that must've completely slipped me by. Or I've forgotten, at any rate.

That said: we did Vengeance Knight not too long ago, some people are seriously talking about Dragon Samurai - I'm hopeful there's room for a truly terrible ingredient every once in a while.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

My prime worry with dungeon delver is the reason it was pulled during Heliomance's tenure. The prerequisites are so demanding that it limits means of entry. I remember being a chef with ingredients like this and the difficulty in making a dish stand out.(the round with Initiate of Pistis Sophia sticks out in my mind, even though I didn't end up submitting for it).

Reservations aside, if there's enough people who want it, I'll put it on the list.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Hope you're feeling better, loky!

Gang, the Villainous Competition has been missing a judge for a while. Whoever judges it can chair next round, if that's at all enticing

My judgments and medals!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hope you're feeling better, loky!
    I am. Thanks, H_H_F_F!
    Judging is almost done - it's only two entries to go.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2024-02-18 at 05:03 PM.

My competition's medals.

Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Without further ado. Judging!

Spoiler: Jae Wes
    Show
    Spoiler: Originality
    Show
    Cleric, Crusader and Ruby Knight Vindicator didn't surprise me (-0.75). As like your feat selection, maybe only Undying Fate and Divine Spell Power slightly did (-0.25). We have Lesser Aasimars every time (-0.25).
    Your Gifts selection also isn't mind blowing. Well, Monstrous Thrall is interesting, but Animate Dead and Create Undead were literally two first spells I thought about (-0.25).

Total: 1.5

Spoiler: Power
    Show
    Offense You are Cleric/Initiator. You give me only a few spells you use, but you anyway deserve good points here (+1).
    Defense You are also good here. Not bad hp, possible good AC, all saves, but Reflex are ok, plus Aura of Perfect Order works for you. Also +1.
    Utility Well... Broad minion options and cleric's spells give you good potential. Add to this Magic domain. But your own skills, mobility, etc. aren't mind-blowing. Give you +0.75.
    Flexibility and Endurance Okay. You have enough spell slots, you have Maneuvers with recharge mechanics. Yeah, your minionomancy dependent on another creatures and it isn't good, but isn't problem either. Especially having in mind you have ways to get these "another creatures" by yourself. Give you +1.25.

And your minionomancy deserves another +0.25
    Total: 4.25

Spoiler: Elegance
    Show
    Your build is very simple and coherent, but I could find something to quibble.

Aasimar, Lesser. First of all, you didn't source a lesser variant. Second, I always think Lesser variants create an uneven playing field and are strongly DM dependent (-0.25).

You ended up with Wis 21. You could Point Buy Wis 15 and get Dex or Int 12 and wouldn't have lost anything. But this itself isn't enough for penalty (-0).

Also you mentioned some items, but you clearly aren't item-depended, just have something to do with items (-0).

Multiclass penalty (-0.25).

And... that's all.
    Total: 4.5

Spoiler: UoSI
    Show
    Did you qualify for SI? - Mostly yes. I only have some doubt about "peaceful contact with deity or its direct agents." I don't see this in the story (+0.9).
    Did you enter SI early? - Yes (+0.5).
    Did you finish SI? - Yes (+0.5).
    Have you found some interesting combos involving SI abilities? Do you at least use them?
    Advancing Spellcasting - You clearly use it (+0.15).
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency - You already have it (+0).
    Granted Domain - Yes, this domain is good for you (+0.15).
    Contact - Nothing (+0).
    Menacing Aura - Well, you mentioned Steely Resolve, but it actually doesn't work well. If somebody want to attack you, 5 hp pool isn't issue for him (+0).
    Godly Gift (1st) (Animate Dead) - You bypass material component (+0.15).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Create Undead) - You bypass material component and casting time (+0.15).
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Monstrous Thrall) - You bypass XP cost (+0.15), and have combination with Gate (+0.2).
    Altered Appearance - Nothing (+0).
    Commune - You just have it (+0).
    Plane Shift to Deity's Plane - Nothing special (+0).
    Plane Shift to Any Plane - Nothing special (+0).
    Audience - You just have it (+0).
    Alignment Shift - You don't use it (+0).
    Mystic Union - It's useful if you found way to cast Polymorph (+0.1).
    Gate - You have some use of it, but no more than any other Divine Agent has. Bonus for combo with Monstrous Thrall is already granted.
    Skill List (UMD especially) - No specific use (+0).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - Here we can talk only about Knowledge (religion) and you use it to qualify for another PrC, but put in only one rank more. I give you +0.3
    Does your entry thematically fit the SI? - Yeah, I feel it like a Divine Agent. Maybe not the greatest one, but thematically fit (+0.5).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - Maybe you could make something with more cleric casting, but I think your SI balanced it well (-0).
    Total: 3.75

Total: 13.75

Spoiler: Echo
    Show
    Show
    Your entry method, original race, templates, Blighter, Rite of spellscale assumption, and less Nature's Warrior were very surprising (+1.25)! Warblade level - opposite (-0.25). Astral Tracking and Dragon Wild Shape are slightly surprising (+0.25), Heretic of the Faith, Frozen Wild Shape and Knowledge Devotion... I can see them coming a mile away (-0.25).
    And your Godly gifts... You selected the most expected spells (-0.5).
    Total: 3.5

Show
    Offense Okay. You have 9ths. Yeah, Blighter’s spelllist isn’t the best spelllist of whole spelllistbuilding history, but isn’t worst either. Plus, you have Corrupt Spells and very well Domain. Most of all your spells looks very offensive while CL is too low, also you have good Wild Shapes, 16 BAB, one level of Warblade with all its goodies. It’s +1.25 it my eyes.
    Defense Not as great as Offense, but still not bad. Okish hp, good 2 of 3 saves (but third is bad), potentially good AC, several useful defensive spells. Give you +1 point here.
    Utility Again you have some spells, several knowledges, survival and track, useful wild shapes, but actually nothing mind-blowing (+1).
    Flexibility and Endurance You have 4 Wild Shapes per day which is okay. You have enough spells and unlimited maneuvers. But you have some issues. Blighter's Deforestation is an unpleasant limitation for your casting. You risk being left without spells in some situations. Plus your Corrupt Spells' cost. It's not as smooth as you think (later about this) and Corrupt Spells are a big part of your power. Plus low CL reduces the effectiveness of your spells and increases the consumption of spell slots. Also I should mention that your most powerful tool - Wish will not immediately go on working revolutions in real game - you will need days or weeks to get all what you want from it (+0.75).

Plus I also give you +0.5 for Undead minionomancy and free Wish craziness.

Show
    Here you have problems. I even don't talk about breaking the game with the free Wish. Sentient DM could work with it. Of course you'll not have epic items, unlimited Rings of Three Wishes or even unlimited non-epic items. But yes, it's a pain in DM's ass.

And your story and qualify for Blighter... Yes, it's legal, but I easily imagine DMs who ban it or at least you will need to work with DM to adapt your character. You can’t use her out of the box. And these two issues together cost you -0.25.

Your formatting is creative, but it was hard for me to read your entry on smartphone (-0).

You can't get Crushing weight of the mountain at Warblade's first level.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToB, p. 22
    You begin play with knowledge of one 1st level stance from any discipline open to warblades.

You don't qualify for Iron Heart Surge and Mithral Tornado (-0.25).
    Sorry! I like how you qualify for Iron Heart Surge and Mithral Tornado (+0.25).

Rite of spellscale assumption is a great find. It'd also be great if you source it. C'mon! It's your main shtick! And you call it "Ritual" not "Rite" which didn't make my search easier (-0.25).

Your Corrupt Spells and Undead WS... Well, your point is good, your trick works... when we talk about spells with duration. When a spell is cast, the possibility that at the moment when you should pay the cast you will be undead isn't fact and can't prevent casting. If the moment when you cast a spell and moment when you pay aren't the same moment!
    Seething Eyebane - Instantaneous
    Rotting Curse of Urfestra - Instantaneous
    Touch of Juiblex - Instantaneous
    Forbidden Speech - intended be Instantaneous, I think
    Consume Likeness - intended be Instantaneous, either
    Death by Thorns - Instantaneous
    Evil Weather - 3d6 minutes
    Plague of Nightmares - Instantaneous
    Apocalypse from the Sky - Instantaneous, plus Undead aren't immune to Wisdom damage
    So your Undead WS helps you with one Corrupt Spell of all your mentioned (-1).

Fangs of the Vampire King - revised in Spell Compendium and no longer is Corrupt Spell. Isn't a big deal (-0).

It is debatable how Undead Wild Shape works with Wild Shape modification feats. I see how some DMs tell you that you could shape only into skeletal cryohydra and skeletal dragons (which can't fly) (-0.25).

Apprentice feat. Firstly, you miss your two extra skill points.
    Secondly:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG II, p. 178
    Surpassing the Mentor: Once the apprentice reaches 5th level, he graduates from his apprenticeship. He continues to gain the benefits of the Apprentice feat, but no longer needs to work with his mentor. The mentor’s associated skills remain class skills for purposes of determining the maximum rank he can have in those skills, and he still retains the secondary benefits, but an associated skill can only be purchased as a class skill if he gains a level in a class that has that skill as a class skill.
    But you still purchased Knowledge (Nature) and Survival as a class skills at 5th-8th levels (-0.25).

Total: 3

Show
    Did you qualify for SI? - Yes (+1).
    Did you enter SI early? - It's... a good question... Well, I'd say almost yes (+0.45)
    Have you found some interesting combos involving SI abilities? Do you at least use them?
    Advancing Spellcasting - You clearly use it (+0.15).
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency - You already have all, but heavy armor which you don't look to use (+0). You showed me how Heavy Armor Proficiency is useful for you (+0.05).
    Granted Domain - It's your only domain, well, both are and second is very useful (+0.15).
    Contact - You just have it (+0).
    Menacing Aura - You just have it (+0).
    Godly Gift (1st) (Animate Dead) - You bypass material component (+0.15). +0.2 for combo with Blighter spell list.
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Create Undead) - You bypass material component and casting time (+0.15). +0.2 for combo with Blighter spell list.
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Wish) - You bypass XP cost (+0.15) and break the game (+0.5).
    Altered Appearance - Nothing (+0).
    Plane Shift to Deity's Plane - Well, Dweomerheart is interesting place and it looks like you have rare direct way to get there (+0.15).
    Plane Shift to Any Plane - Nothing special (+0).
    Alignment Shift - You at least use it (maybe), but it's pretty flavor (+0).
    Mystic Union - Nothing special (+0).
    Gate - Nothing special (+0).
    Skill List (UMD especially) - Nothing special (+0).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - You end up with 7 ranks in Knowledge (religion), but at least you have Knowledge Devotion both to benefit and to be a prerequisite for (+0.2).
    Does your entry thematically fit the SI? - I'd say yes, but your idea of Wish abuse (while Velsharoon blinked and missed that probably) and your wish to overthrow your patron is slightly off point (+0.4).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - Big No (-0)
    Total: 3.95 4.4

Total: 14.95 15.4

Spoiler: Navtej
    Show
    Show
    I know about OA Shaman, I know about Mahasarpa existent, I have idea of entry via Fiend of Blasphemy with usage of Fiend of Possession, but you actually surprise me. Add here Abyssal Skulker (+1).
    Some of your feats are boring, some are innovative, call it tie (+0).
    Your GGs... Well, Wish is an obvious choice, but others aren't, another tie (+0).
    Total: 4

Show
    Offense You aren't very offensive, nor your spells, nor your mundane options. Yeah, you have IUS and claws, but your BAB and damage aren't something to write home about (+0.25).
    Defense That is another matter. You have enough defending options. Good AC, great saves, okish hp, etherealness, some spells. Give you +1.25 points.
    Utility You are great here! Good spells, good skills, FoB's Transfer SLA, Mindsight, Darkstalker (+1.5).
    Flexibility and Endurance You are slightly low on spells and only 3 Trickery Devotion uses. But you don't have heavy specialization and are ready without long preparationю And "anything we cast in the Spirit World will be Extended and Empowered" also good for you (+1).

And +0.25 for free Wish craziness.

Show
    Outsider traits, Tanar'ri traits
    Sorry, but Abyssal Skulker isn't Tanar'ri. This means you aren't qualify for Mindsight (-0.5).

No detailed rules are given for any specific deities in the Mahasarpa setting.
    This is an issue. Well, idea that "here exists a god for any combination of domains and alignments that does not inherently contradict itself" really is reasonable, but you need to coordinate it with DM (-0.25).

Interaction of Transfer SLA and 1/week SLA is another RAW yes, but you need to talk with the DM thing. And this one is highly likely to not be approved (-0.25). If somebody asks me I ban this idea.

Mystic Union might seem useless to us, outside from the welcome DR playing nice with Goad. However, it also makes it so that we can now be raised or resurrected, which was not previously the case
    Amm... No.
    Despite this outsider status, a divine agent may still be brought back from the dead if slain.
    Give you -0.25.

That's all.

Show
    Did you enter SI early? - No (+0).
    Did you finish SI? - Yes, but only at ECL 20 (+0.4).
    Advancing Spellcasting - Yes, for two classes actually (+0.15).
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency - Well, it isn't essential for you, but you use it (+0.15).
    Granted Domain - You use Trickery domain (+0.15) and trade it for useful Trickery Devotion (+0.1).
    Contact - You just have it (+0)
    Menacing Aura - Yeah, you use it (+0.15) and have combos with Trickery Devotion and Goad (+0.5).
    Godly Gift (1st) (Divination) - You bypass material component and casting time (+0.15) plus you use it to qualify for Fiend of Blasphemy (+0.5).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Geas) - You bypass casting time (+0.15).
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Wish) - You bypass XP cost (+0.15) and win the game (+0.5).
    Altered Appearance - Well, in your case it is useful (+0.15).
    Commune - Okay, you don't do something really new with SLA itself, but you try to get more uses with Transfer SLA (+0.2).
    Plane Shift to Deity's Plane - You have interesting uses in addition to useless for you base effect (+0.2).
    Plane Shift to Any Plane - Nothing apart from mentioned in PS to Deity's Plane (+0).
    Audience - Nothing (+0).
    Alignment Shift - You use it and use it very well (+0.15).
    Gate - The idea of Spirit World gives your Gate great versatility (+0.15). Also combo with Geas and Transfer SLA (+0.2).
    Skill List (UMD especially) - You get UMD, and also some Disguise, while not doing something special with them (+0.1).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - You put ranks in the Knowledge (religion), but don't do something special with it (+0.2).
    Does your entry thematically fit the SI? - Yes. Only issue is free Wishes as I mentioned for Echo (+0.45).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - Clearly no (-0).
    Total: 5 (actually more)

Total: 17

Spoiler: Schroedinger's Tibbit
    Show
    Show
    Sha'ir, Tibbit, whole idea of using Fabulous Cats's deity Schrödinger are very original in my eyes, Malconvoker not so much (+0.75).
    Some of your feats are interesting, some unexpected, some aren't (+0.25).
    Gifts... I’d be lying if I said they were expected, maybe Foresight because of the Knowledge domain (+0.25).

Show
    Offense You aren't great in direct combat, but you could do something with your spells, while your spells also aren't very offensive. Of course planar binding is a thing (+0.75).
    Defense Bad saves, I can't know your hp, but it doesn't look great, too, as well as I don't know your AC, but it looks not great, either. At least spells give you some options (+0.5).
    Utility This part is better. Your own spells are aimed mostly at this, you have some skills (while I'd be glad to see more), and planar bindings are ones of the best utility options (+1.25).
    Flexibility and Endurance You have a good amount of slots and if you have enough time you could get a broad variety of spells (+1).

Also I give you +0.25 for your necrotic minionomancy.

Show
    Where are your stats (-1)?

Lunatic insight. First: it's [Tainted] feat and
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Please refrain from using Taint unless it's necessary for the Secret Ingredient (subject to a penalty in Elegance proportional to the degree of cheesiness of the Taint usage).
    It costs you -0.25 points.
    Second:
    My interpretation means that they are class skills for every class thereafter. But I could be wrong.
    You clearly are. Nothing in this feat talked about becoming knowledges in-class. "You are considered trained in all Knowledge skills" no less, no more (-0.5).

Landlord... Why? Just why? -0.25 for dead feat.

Malconvoker with 4 ranks in bluff? Really (-0.25)?

Spellcasting progresses to allow planar binding so hello there efreeti with your three wishes per day.
    One of the most known and most disliked cheeses (-0.25). If you want free Wishes, at least make them by yourself.

Your skills. I really want to know how many ranks you put in skills when leveled up and which are cross-class.
    At 4th level you allocate only 3 ranks. At 5th level - 5 ranks. At 8th, 19th and 20th level you up Diplomacy as class while it isn't. At 9th and 10th - use only 5 ranks.
    -0.5 point total.

Total: 2

Show
    Advancing Spellcasting - You use it (+0.15).
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency - Well, you didn't have any Armor Proficiency before, but it doesn't look like you intend to use armor. But I give you +0.05 points.
    Granted Domain - It's your only domain. But I'm not sure how good it is (+0.15).
    Godly Gift (1st) (Allergic Reaction) - You don't bypass anything and spell isn't great (+0).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Cat's Gravity) - You again don't bypass anything, but at least spell is better (+0.1)
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Foresight) - And again (+0.1).
    Altered Appearance - You just have it (+0).
    Plane Shift to Deity's Plane - You just have it (+0).
    Plane Shift to Any Plane - You just have it (+0).
    Alignment Shift - You don't use it (+0)
    Mystic Union - This is a useful one (+0.15). You qualify for Infernal Bargainer with it (+0.5).
    Gate - I'm sure you couldn't summon balors (or any other outsider) from Schrödinger's home plane (+0), but if you somehow manage to do this you have necrotic spells to establish your authority (+0.2).
    Skill List (UMD especially) - Well, you get 1 rank in UMD, it's not nothing, but I don't think it deserves points (+0).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - Forget (+0).
    Does your entry thematically fit the SI? - You know... I say yes. Theme is odd, but you catch it (+0.5).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - I think yes. I'd be more happy to see more Sha'ir or/and Malconvoker levels (-1).
    Total: 2.35

Total: 12.35

Spoiler: Larry
    Show
    Show
    Monk, Shaman, Sacred Fist are positive for you as like Tibbit, Swordsage is negative (+0.5).
    Shadow Blade, Craven are expected every time. Don't Mind Me, Surrogate Spellcasting, Falling Star Strike aren't (+0).
    Your gifts... I give you +0.25 points for them. I had Miracle in mind as backup option.

Show
    Offense Okay, you could make some damage. It looks you are more melee type than caster type, but of course spells are taken into account - you mention yourself as "a flying turret," but I don't know what exact spells you use for this (+1).
    Defense Good saves, good AC, enough hp, interesting defending abilities (+1.5).
    Utility You have some skills, your cat form is good hide by itself, mobility options, invis, spells. Good (+1).
    Flexibility and Endurance Okish amount of spells, Maneuvers, but only 6 Stunning Fists per day and 4 Turns (+0.75).

Also free Miracle a.k.a "healthy person's Anyspell" and not only is deserved another +0.25 points.

Show
    A dip in Swordsage brings us Assassin’s Stance
    Quote Originally Posted by ToB, p. 16
    You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from any discipline open to you.
    Sorry, but you can't get Assassin’s Stance via 1-level Swordsage dip (-0.5 changed to -0.25).

The Dragon Compendium mentions the Cat Lord only grants the Chaos, Travel and Trickery domain. I feel, since we’re building on a Shaman base, the Cat domain should be fair game.
    Agree, sounds fair. But doesn't sound RAW (-0.25).

Do you really need 21 Wis? Why not Point Buy 15 Wis or Dex and get 2 more in Int or Cha (-0)?

Shadow Jump (SH)
    Did you mean Shadow Jaunt (-0)?

TN Monk? Really (-0.25)?

Multiclass penalty (-0.25).

Total: 3.75 4

Show
    Did you qualify for SI? - Mostly yes. I only have some doubt about "peaceful contact with deity or its direct agents." I don't see this in the story (+0.9).
    Advancing Spellcasting - Use (+0.15).
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency - It new for you, but you 100% will not use armor (+0).
    Granted Domain - You get spells and second reroll, but I'm not sure it's essential for you (+0.1).
    Contact - Nothing special (+0).
    Menacing Aura - Nothing special (+0).
    Godly Gift (1st) (Substitution) - You bypass casting time and Material Component and maybe Focus (+0.15).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Stoneskin) - You bypass Material Component (+0.15).
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Miracle) - You bypass XP cost for some uses (+0.15).
    Altered Appearance - Nothing special (+0).
    Commune - Nothing special (+0).
    Plane Shift to Deity's Plane - You use it as attack option (+0.15).
    Plane Shift to Any Plane - You use it as attack option (+0.15).
    Audience - Nothing special (+0).
    Alignment Shift - Don't use it (+0).
    Gate - Nothing special (+0).
    Skill List (UMD especially) - Nothing special (+0).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - You use Knowledge (religion) to qualify for another PrC, but put in only one rank more (+0.3).
    Does your entry thematically fit the SI? - Not really (+0.1).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - I don't think so (-0).
    Total: 2.8

Total: 14.8 15.05

Spoiler: Iago
    Show
    Show
    Duskblade and entering via Death Delver are your friends. Warblade and Contemplative aren't. Primordial Half-Giant also isn't a big surprise for me (-0.25).
    Feats. Metamorphic Transfer, Martial Study, and Heretic of the Faith are boring options. Elder Giant Magic is new. It's more negative than positive (-0.25).
    Your gifts... I didn't have a Magic Jar in mind, but Miracle and especially Wish were there. I clearly didn't expect both (-0.25).

I don't mention Bloodline itself because I consider it illegal. Yes, it surprised me. As like d20 Modern Smart Hero would.
    Total: 2.25

Show
    Offense You aren't good on offense. No real mundane attack and damage despite you're having Power Attack, spells... you are Death Delver... Not great spell list for damaging/debuffing, while there are several options. Other opportunities include weak Breath Weapon, pet dog, two Maneuvers. Yeah, Magic Jar proxy slightly fixes the situation, but it's very situational (+0.5).
    Defense It's better. Yeah, you miss 3 HD, but you managed to make your saves good enough and Death Delver's spells are more defensive than offensive. Plus you have some AC potential and resistance from bloodline and protective abilities from Death Delver (+0.75).
    Utility Useful buff option, good skills, Alter Self+Metamorphic Transfer combo, mobility via Shadow Blink, all this sounds good (+1).
    Flexibility and Endurance You have good enough CL for your spells, you have unlimited Invisibility, but you have too few spell slots, only 1 per day Alter Self and using Elder Giant Magic during the fight is challenging (+0.5).

Free Wishes are free Wishes (+0.25). Free Miracles are free Miracles (+0.25).
    Total: 3.25

Show
    Okay. Let's start with the hard part. Bloodline.
    Bloodlines and the Retraining options presented in the PHB2 are ripe for abuse, and will be strongly discouraged as long as I am Chairman.
    I thought to say your entry is completely illegal firstly, but ended with only -2 penalty.

And Bloodline again. You don't count your Bloodline levels for Bloodline abilities for some reason (-0.25).

You have cross setting materials, but not in the amount that would be an issue (-0).

I don't think you are still able to use Elder Giant Magic to improve spell-like abilities after Mystic Union (-0.25).

Total: 2.5

Show
    Did you enter SI early? - No (+0)
    Did you finish SI? - Yes, but had one stop on the way to dip into Contemplative (+0.45)
    Advancing Spellcasting - Yeah, but I'm not sure this spellcasting worth it (+0.1).
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency - Already have (+0).
    Granted Domain - It's your only domain at the moment when it was granted, but with only 4th level spells it doesn't look great (+0.1)
    Godly Gift (1st) (Magic Jar) - It's good spell and Godly Gift is the only possibility to you to get it, bit you bypass nothing via GG (+0.1), I appreciate combo with Major Bloodline (+0.15).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Wish) - You bypass XP cost (+0.15) and it's a free Wish (+0.5), and Bloodline combo (+0.15)
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Miracle) - You bypass XP cost for some uses (+0.15).
    Alignment Shift - You don't use it (+0).
    Mystic Union - It opens you Alter Self opportunities (+0.3)
    Gate - Well, yes, you have more options than other Agents, but it isn't big deal (+0.1).
    Skill List (UMD especially) - UMD is maxed out (+0.15).
    All your SI granted SLA combine well with Primordial template and Elder Giant Magic (+0.5).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - You use Knowledge (religion) to qualify for two Prestige classes and max it (+0.5).
    Does your entry thematically fit the SI? - Not completely, but yes (+0.3).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - No (-0).
    Total: 4.7

Total: 12.7
    Last edited by loky1109; 2024-02-23 at 03:29 PM.

My competition's medals.

Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Part two!

Spoiler: Ghrond Ironhand
    Show
    Show
    Paladin of Slaughter entry is surprising. Warblade and Human aren't (+0.25).
    Mounted Combat feats, Mad Faith and Mage Slayer are unexpected, Power Attack and Divine Might are so so, Martial Study... Well, let's say the penalty for that is unglued into Warblade (+0.5).
    Your Gifts. Touch of Idiocy and Vampiric Touch would be surprising if they aren't in the same domain as a Wish and this isn't your only domain (-0.45).
    Total: 3.3

Show
    Offense You are a Spirited Charger initiator and you are good at that (+1.25).
    Defense You have great saves, good hp, I'm sure at least not bad AC, Improved uncanny dodge. Your main soft spot is your mount. Even if you give it all magic items in the world it still will be more fragile than you (+1.25).
    Utility You have several good skills, but mostly it isn't your area of competence (+0.25)
    Flexibility and Endurance Maneuvers - okay. Spell slots - not okay. CL 3 - terrible (+0.5).

Free Wishes, yeah (+0.25).
    Total: 3.5

Show
    Mad Faith is [Tainted] feat. I already quote The Viscount in Schroedinger's Tibbit's judging about this. And for you it's essential part of build (-1).

Envy isn't Erythnul's domain. Yeah, Envy is in Erythnul's Portfolio, but Portfolio is a different thing (-1). Maybe I'm wrong. If you have proof please give it me.

What are your stances (-0.25)?

You take Mind over Body, Moment of Perfect Mind and Action Before Thought having 1 rank in Concentration and 24/15/22 saves? Moreover, you spent a feat on it. Yeah, you needed Diamond Mind maneuvers as prerequisites, but why didn't you get useful (-0.5)???

Columns Fort/Ref/Will in the build table are for base save bonus. Please, will not put here full bonuses in future (-0).

You ended with 5 odd stats. It's odd (-0.25). And please, be more detailed in the stat table (-0).

UMD isn't in-class skill for Warblade (-0.25). Plus, your skill formatting isn't judge-friendly. I want to see how many ranks you put in skill at each level (of course I wanna see totals, too).

What spell do you use? Do you use spells at all (-0)?

Total: 1.75

Show
    Did you qualify for SI? - No. You don't have ability to cast 1st-level divine spells at 3rd level so you don't qualify for Mad Faith. To solve the issue you need to replace two Warblade levels at 5th and 6th levels. Which is... well, I say doable (+0).

Did you enter SI early? - Having in mind 7th level I say so so (+0.3)
    Advancing Spellcasting - Almost no used (+0).
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency - Already have all of that (+0).
    Granted Domain - Almost no used (+0).
    Godly Gift (1st) (Touch of Idiocy) - It looks like spell tax for Wish (+0).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Vampiric Touch) - It looks like spell tax for Wish (+0).
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Wish) - You bypass XP cost (+0.15) and crashed the economy of civilization (+0.5).
    Plane Shift to Deity's Plane - See Gate.
    Plane Shift to Any Plane - See Gate.
    Alignment Shift - You already are CE (+0).
    Mystic Union - You just have it (+0).
    Gate - You have mention of planar travel in your story so I give you +0.1 for both Plane Shifts and Gate.
    Skill List (UMD especially) - You maxed UMD, you use Spellcraft to qualify for Mage Slayer (+0.15).
    Mage Slayer has anti-synergy with SI decreasing CL for all SLAs (-0.5)
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - You put 3 more ranks in Knowledge (religion), but do nothing with it (+0.1).
    Does your entry thematically fit the SI? - Yes (+0.5).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - No (-0).
    Total: 1.8

Total: 10.35

Spoiler: Piotyr Icevein
    Show
    Show
    Paladin/Cleric entry is most expected. Ordained Champion sounds like Divine Agent by itself (-1). But Favored Enemy ACF is rare (+0.25).
    Nemesis and Stand Still are interesting (+0.25).
    Your gifts... None of them is expected (+0.5).

Show
    Offense You are a melee type with sword and shield. 16 BAB, smites, +6 to damage from Holy Warrior, Power Attack, 6th level cleric's spells (while you mostly didn't tell me what exactly). Sounds okay (+1).
    Defense Good hp, good saves (maybe Reflex is slightly subpar), good hp, okay AC. Spells of course (still don't know what exactly). I give you +1 point.
    Utility Skills aren't good, not totally awful, but I want better, out of skills and spells... nothing (+0.25).
    Flexibility and Endurance Amount of slots is ok. 11 turns... Well it's good, but you have two ways to quickly run out of ammo. But for several fights per day that should be enough. And you are anti-Undead oriented. Not very much, but more than regular Paladin or Good cleric (+0.75).

Show
    You have some mess with your domain. In the table you get Law and Good at 3rd level (while get bonus WF from War) and War at 6th (-0).

Besides this... I like your table, I like your stats (yeah! somebody ended with no odd stats!), I like what you do with Ordained Champion's domain trading. Good job!

Total: 5

Show
    Did you enter SI early? - Yes (+0.5).
    Did you finish SI? - Yes, but only at 20th level (+0.4).
    Advancing Spellcasting - Yes, you do (+0.15).
    Granted Domain - I don't sure how good Good domain is. In my book it's a weak option. Only new spell is Holy Smite, +1 CL isn't nothing, but... I give you +0.05 points. Add +0.1 for trading domain granted power via Ordained Champion
    Godly Gift (1st) (Magic Circle Against Evil) - Sorry, but I see nothing here to reward for. Just one more 3rd level spell which you already have per day with slightly bigger CL (+0).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Holy Sword) - This is slightly more useful. It's not just "one more spell", it's at the best "the second this spell" or it lets you free the domain slot for something else. But still isn't a great choice (+0.05).
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Summon Monster IX) - Well, at least you slightly improve casting time. Plus you bypass cleric's alignment limitation - Celestial Roc is CG, you are LG (+0.15).
    Alignment Shift - You're LG already (+0).
    Gate - Well, I think it's useful, but you'd better tell me something more than "This is a very nice 9th level spell to access." (+0.1)
    Skill List (UMD especially) - Nothing interesting (+0).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - You put 4 more ranks in Knowledge (religion) and qualify for Ordained Champion (+0.3).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - Really, I'd be glad to exchange all levels of SI into levels of Cleric and it'll be better (-1).
    Total: 1.9 2

Total: 12.9 13

Spoiler: Ketos
    Show
    Show
    Anthopomorphic Ballen Whale isn't very new, but also isn't expected in this round. Transformation into tibbit isn't expected, either! Stoneblessed, Shadowcraft Mage and Shaper of Form are unexpected. Drow Fighter and Divine Crusader opposite. Pious Templar and Ruathar are so so (+0.25).
    Earth Spell + Shadowcraft Mage isn't very innovative, all other feats are prerequisites for something (-0.25).
    Your Gifts... aren't very expected (+0.25).

Show
    Offense Your mundane offensive options aren't something to write home about. Even with Hit-and-Run Fighter. Your magic, thanks to Shadowcraft Mage, is different. You really could cause damage and also have interesting debuffs (+1.25).
    Defense Good Will and Fort with Mettle, but not very good Reflex, good hp, potentially not bad AC, I'm sure your Shadow illusions also could help you, and of course Time Stop (+1.25).
    Utility Okish set of skills, some potentially useful spells and SLAs, Earth Sense and Feline Transformation. I give you +0.75 points.
    Flexibility and Endurance Flexibility is your second name. Endurance isn't third, but your slots should be enough for a full day. Bonus CL from Gnome Domain and Earth Spell also are your friends (+1.5).

Total: 4.75

Show
    Note on modify self
    Yeah, it's an issue. This needs the DM's approval. Well, it isn't your fault (-0).

*Ketos can prepare and cast Shadow Domain spells up to three times before having to recharge the higher-order ability
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Planar Handbook, p. 167
    Once per day, you may cast a spell from the cleric domain you have chosen, as though you had prepared the spell normally
    Ketos can't and shouldn't prepare Shadow Domain spells to cast them.
    Maybe it isn't big deal, but it's mistake (-0 - no penalty this time).

Stone Shape (Craft Domain) 1/day
    Dispel Magic, Greater (Liberation Domain) 1/day
    Heal, Mass (Community Domain) 1/day
    Godly gift gives you a spell from one of your domains as a spell like ability.
    You don't have any of mentioned domains and can't select these spells as Godly Gifts (-1.5 - -0.5 for every mistake).

You didn't provide a source for Shadow domain and it's from Eberron CS - last place where I'd search (-0.25).

To qualify for Stoneblessed you must be able to speak Gnome, as well as Terran. You have Int 12 and don't have Speak Language ranks (-0.25).

I like how you use racial HD to qualify for several prestige classes and then get rid of them (+0.25).

You need to have "Ability to cast six spells from the school of transmutation." to qualify for Shaper of Form. I didn't see any in your spell table (-0.5). Remove penalty

Total: 2.75 3.25

Show
    Did you finish SI? - No, 9/10 (+0.4).
    Advancing Spellcasting - Yes, and it very essential (+0.15).
    Granted Domain - You have Divine Crusader as a basement, any additional domain worth its weight of gold (+0.15, +0.2).
    Godly Gift (1st) (Stone Shape) - Let's imagine you have it. You don't bypass casting time or any components, it's just a spell. Yes, spell you don't have in normal, but while we imagine you could get it, this point is ignored (+0).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Dispel Magic, Greater) - Same thing. Okay, here at least CL is essential (+0.05).
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Heal, Mass) - Again, main point is - this is the spell you can't normally cast (+0).
    Altered Appearance - Only RP for you (+0).
    Alignment Shift - You already are NG (+0).
    Gate - You don't have it (-0).
    Skill List (UMD especially) - You put ranks in UMD (+0.15).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - You qualify for two other prestige classes with your Knowledge (Religion), but don't add any ranks after 7th (+0.3).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - I see your main goal - diversity of spells/SLAs and your real profit is: Plane Shift, Commune. Extra domain you could get in several ways. I don’t think it was worth it (-0.25).
    Total: 2.65

Total: 13.4 13.9

Spoiler: Snow
    Show
    Show
    Paladin of Freedom is surprising. Like Thaumaturgist. Crusader, Paragnostic Apostle and Illumian aren't (+0.5).
    Mounted Combat and Stalwart Planar Ally are your friends. Planar Touchstone, Improved Sigil (Krau) and Sudden Extend aren't (+0).
    Your gifts are interesting (+0.5).
    Total: 4

Show
    OffenseYou aren't the best mounted charger ever, but you are good enough, and you have SEVEN VERI BIG BIRB (+1.25).
    Defense Fort and Will are good, Reflex is low, hp is ok, AC doesn't look very big. Your birds... Well, they could give you some defense via AoO and flying, but it isn't a panacea (+0.75).
    Utility You have various Knowledges, wind walk and summon devoted roc give you and your allies mobility options, one or two Divine Insights exist, but that's all here (+0.5).
    Flexibility and Endurance You have 7+ Rocs, you have Crusader's maneuvers, paladin's spells... exist, but amount isn't sufficient (+1.25).

Show
    I can't find flaws in your entry. And I like how elegant you double use Planar Touchstone. Full mark here!
    Total: 5

Show
    Did you enter SI early? - Earliest possible (+0.5).
    Advancing Spellcasting - Paladin spellcasting isn't something you really want to advance, but you at least give me something (+0.1).
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency - You already have all of this (+0).
    Granted Domain - Sky domain by itself doesn't look useful for you at all (+0).
    Contact - You can't optimize that. It's okay (+0).
    Godly Gift (1st) (Summon Dire Hawk) - Well, you bypass casting time, but it isn't big deal and this is spell you can cast normally (+0.05).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (Wind Walk) - Nothing great besides you can't cast this spell without gift (+0.1), but you have good combinations with it (+0.5).
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Summon Devoted Roc) - It's great (+0.15)! And you have many combos to improve this gift (+0.5).
    Plane Shift to Any Plane - This is a useful one (+0.15). Have some combination with Planar Touchstone (+0.2).
    Alignment Shift - You didn't shift anything (+0).
    Gate - Okay, having it so early is worth something (+0.05). Plus you have combo with Contingent Conjuration (+0.3).
    Skill List (UMD especially) - You get UMD (+0.15).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - Well, you qualify for Paragnostic Apostle, but that's all (+0.3).
    Does your entry thematically fit the SI? - Not the best match in my eyes, but not the worst (+0.2).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - No (+0).
    Total: 4.65

Total: 17.4

I know you asked not to do this, but I can't. Sorry!

Spoiler: Francis Dolarhyde, Chrysalis of Potency
    Show
    Show
    Is Soulborn expected? Only because it's your entry. Divine Crusader is expected, Fireblood Dwarf is the most unexpected of generally expected dragonblooded races (+0.75).
    Feats are expected (-0.5).
    Godly Gifts are so so (+0).

Show
    Offense You are mostly melee type with Intimidate and some buffs. Give you +1.
    Defense Bad Reflex, good Will and Fort, good hp, average AC, resistances, Stoneskin. Give you +0.75.
    Utility You have Intimidate and Voice of the Dragon. Not great (+0.25).
    Flexibility and Endurance You don't have any specialization, while you invest some resources into fear. Your spell slots aren't numerous, but you could live without them. And you have only 6 essentia. But Soulmelds give you some versatility. Give you (+0.75).
    Total: 2.75

Show
    I dislike your skill presentation (-0.25).

You don't need Cha 17, you could get Dex, Int or Wis 12 (-0).

That's all.
    Total: 4.75

Show
    Advancing Spellcasting - Yes (+0.15).
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency - You have it already (+0), but! Dragonscale Husk change the day (+0.5)!
    Granted Domain - You are Divine Crusader, of course it's useful for you (+0.15, +0.2), also Smite combines with Sapphire Smite (another +0.2).
    Godly Gift (1st) (Greater Magic Fang) - Nothing special (+0).
    Godly Gift (2nd) (True Seeing) - You bypass material component (+0.15).
    Godly Gift (3rd) (Dominate Monster) - Well, it's spell you don't have (+0.1), but only this.
    Alignment Shift - You already CE (+0).
    Gate - You just have it (+0).
    Skill List (UMD especially) - You get UMD (+0.15).
    Do you use SI prerequisites or just take it and forget? - Forget (+0).
    Does your entry thematically fit the SI? - I'm not sure, but it looks close (+0.4).
    Maybe SI makes your entry worse than it could be without SI? - You know... I really want more Divine Crusader levels (-0.5).

Total: 13.75
    Last edited by loky1109; 2024-02-23 at 03:24 PM.

My competition's medals.

Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

And the table.

# Name Alignment / Race Class Levels Deity Chef loky1109 Total Place
    1 Jae Wes LN Lesser Aasimar Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Divine Agent 10/Ruby Knight Vindicator 5 Wee Jas 13.75 13.75 6th
    2 Echo, part 2 TN→NE Incarnate Construct Dustform Nymph→Spellscale Druid 1/Blighter 4/Warblade 1/Divine Agent 10/Nature's Warrior 5 Velsharoon 15.40 15.40 3rd
    3 Navtej CE→NG Abyssal Skulker Brahmin 3/Fiend of Possession 1/Divine Agent 10/Fiend of Blasphemy 2 Lakshmi 17.00 17.00 2nd
    4 Schroedinger's Tibbit TN Tibbit Sha’ir 6/Malconvoker 4/Divine agent 10 Schrödinger 12.35 12.35 9th
    5 Larry TN Tibbit Invisible Fist Monk 2/Shaman 4/Sacred Fist 3/Swordsage 1/Divine Agent 10 Cat Lord 15.05 15.05 4th
    6 Iago CE Major Silver Dragon Bloodline Primordial Half-Giant Duskblade 1/Warblade 1/Death Delver 3/Divine Agent 10/Contemplative 1 Beshaba 12.70 12.70 8th
    7 Ghrond Ironhand CE Human Paladin of Slaughter 4/Divine Agent 10/Warblade 6 Erythnul 10.35 10.35 10th
    8 Piotyr Icevein LG Neanderthal Favored Enemy Paladin 2/Cleric 3/Divine Agent 10/Ordained Champion 5 Heironeous 13.00 13.00 7th
    9 Ketos NG Anthopomorphic Ballen Whale → Tibbit Drow Fighter 1/Stoneblessed 3/Pious Templar 1/Divine Crusader 1/Ruathar 1/Divine Agent 9/Shadowcraft Mage 3/Shaper of Form 1 Garl Glittergold 13.90 13.90 5th
    10 Snow CG Illumian Planar Paladin of Freedom 4/Divine Agent 10/Thaumaturgist 4/Paragnostic Apostle 1/Crusader 1 Tuilviel Glithien 17.40 17.40 1st
    11 Francis Dolarhyde, Chrysalis of Potency CE Fireblood Dwarf Dragonscale Husk Skilled City Dweller Soulborn 8/Skilled City Dweller Divine Crusader 2/Dragonscale Husk Divine Agent 10 Garyx The Viscount 13.75 13.75 N/A
    Last edited by loky1109; 2024-02-23 at 03:31 PM.

My competition's medals.

Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thank you for judging, loky.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Thanks for judging, loky?

My judgments and medals!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thanks for judging, loky?
    Do you ask me?

My competition's medals.

Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Do you ask me?
    Meant to use an exclamation!

My judgments and medals!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thank you for judging!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you very much for judging loky!

I have a few comments from the chefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Navtej
    Hey Loky! Thanks so much for judging: I'm thrilled to place second and don't expect that to change, so this isn't really a dispute, just me sharing my thoughts.

Firstly, oof, that tanar'ri goofup really hurts, especially because I initially started building a kaorti build without mindsight, and also thought about making a dretch. Dumb mistake, cost me first place, 100% deserved - I could've realized my error if I'd just moved a single page further ahead in the MM2.

Secondly... I actually see a few subcategories in UoSI where I feel like I could've made a case for more points, but that's rather pointless if I'm already at 5 there. I'm not complaining, just noting it.

Thirdly: it's unlikely to make a difference in the rankings, but I don't think the 'still' in Mystic Union means what you think it means. Yes, 'still' can mean 'now, like in the past', in which case it's indeterminate what happens if things weren't that way in the past. But the word can also be used in the sense of 'nevertheless', in which case it wouldn't be making any presumptions about your ability to get raised before gaining Mystic Union and would work faultlessly for us. It's worth considering!

Once more, my thanks for the great judgement!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketos
    First of all, thank you for taking the time to judge!

Some minor quips from Ketos

You need to have "Ability to cast six spells from the school of transmutation." to qualify for Shaper of Form. I didn't see any in your spell table (-0.5).
    - Paladin spell list has significantly more than 6 level 1 transmutation spells. I checked this before submitting.

Gate - You don't have it (-0).
    - The transport version of gate is available to Shadowcraft Mage. I mention using that mode in the back story. True that it's not FULL gate, but on the other hand, Ketos can use it multiple times per day if necessary.
    In general, while I didn't take the 10th level of the SI, I made sure that my character can mostly replicate the class features granted at that level with Gate and full casting.

Earth Spell + Shadowcraft Mage isn't very innovative <snip> (-0.25).
    - True, I could argue, however, that Earth Spell fixing Divine Crusader's caster level is something new.

No bonus for all the gnome puns, but hey, at least no penalty either!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyotr Icevein
    "Hi, thank you again for judging.

Regarding the use of the secret ingredient, you gave me a half point for the additional domain, citing the granted ability of the boost in caster level as only a minor benefit, but above in the elegance section you acknowledge that my point in gaining the new domain was to allow me to swap out the granted power for a fighter bonus feat via Ordained Champion level 1. I feel like the synergy between the two classes at least merits a comment if not a change in score."
    Awards

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

HM goes to Iago.

My judgments and medals!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

HM goes to Iago.
    Oh H_H_F_F, I just noticed an error in the spreadsheet: Gronk of the Umbral Disciple round has no template listed, despite being a Chameleon creature.

...and while looking that up, I discovered we actually had one Chameleon creature before; Nurgle Helmstone back in 2017! Interestingly enough, that one was also a dwarf.

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Oh H_H_F_F, I just noticed an error in the spreadsheet: Gronk of the Umbral Disciple round has no template listed, despite being a Chameleon creature.

...and while looking that up, I discovered we actually had one Chameleon creature before; Nurgle Helmstone back in 2017! Interestingly enough, that one was also a dwarf.
    Thanks, I'll fix that.

My judgments and medals!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

HM to Echo.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

HM to Echo!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

And one more

Quote Originally Posted by Echo
    Hey loky, thanks so much for judging this round!

My main gripe is with the point I got deducted in elegance for my corrupt spells. I just... don't get what you want from me here?

My best guess is that you read me as saying that Echo casts a spell, then uses wild shape to deal with the consequences - which can't be done with an instantaneous spell. But like, no, Echo wouldn't waste turns like that. She just fights in wild shape already, like most wild shape users. She has natural spell (like I mention in the build, Undead Wild Shape is wild shape, and can use the feat), she casts the spells while undead. No issues.

If that's not your issue... I don't understand what is. Is it that something feels "off" to you about dodging the sacrifice components immediately after casting, rather than in a later turn? If so, I don't get that - and I certainly don't get how "this feels a bit weird" is a full point off Echo's score.

If it's something else, I'd appreciate a repeated explanation. Thanks.

Okay, since I'm already writing to you, I'll mention a few other things, some of which are definitely more subjective:
    Spoiler: elegance
    Show
    • Rite of assumption: I understand that I didn't specifically note it, but I did source spellscale - it's under that section, so I feel like the full 0.25 is a tiny bit harsh.
    • Stance: so, RAI is very clear to me that this is descriptive rather than prescriptive. Luckily, RAW is quite clear as well: I did not begin play as a warblade, so this doesn't apply to me. Both clear RAI and blind RAW say I get to take my stance.

This applies to Larry the swordsage too. If you disagree here, you should still reduce his penalty to match mine, I think; right now, he's getting penalized more harshly than me for the same "mistake", and that's unfair. He might depose me for bronze for this dispute, but such is life.

Show
    • Spellcasting: I think advancing to 9th level spells might deserve a bit more credit than most casters here? It's not a trivial achievement (at ECL 14, too), so I wanted to mention it. More importantly:
    • I feel that a synergy I was pretty proud of (and bragged about in the build) went unnoticed here. The tiny blighter spell list is very focused on undead minionmancy, with desecrate, unhallow, inflict spells, and command undead. My undeath gifts are hugely supported by these spells, and were picked specifically because I'm playing a blighter, not just because they're great picks. If blighter had different spells, I would've gone for different gifts. Others got credit for synergistic combos with their gifts, and I feel that my very deliberate choices here were treated as obvious power grabs and nothing more.
    • armor proficiency: I'm a divine caster, I call out a wildling clasp for my armor, I can manufacture it through wish. How am I not using my proficiency here?
    • nitpick: I personally saw it as better if the class's SLAs gave you spells you couldn't have accessed as a straight (whatever your casting class is). I get if that's not your view, just explaining where I was coming from here.

Sorry if any of that felt pedantic. Thanks again for your judgements!
    Awards