New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Domino Quartz's Delightfully Quaint Random Banter Thread #248

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yeah that.

There isn't anything a second series is SUPPOSED to be, because there shouldn't be any attempt to continue the story because the story is Over. There is nothing of value to whatever happens next in Madoka's setting because the first series more or less created a perfect self-contained story. The Incubators are explicitly not clever enough to do what they do in Rebellion, and the idea of Homura becoming the lucifer to Madoka's magical girl hope god is Stupid Stupid Stupid STUPID. This is why the other attempt at this with Magi-Reco was "here is a side story somewhere else that takes place during one of Homura's weirder loops", because there isn't any way to add more onto the story without ruining or weakening the original in some way.

The only things that could possibly work as "further Madoka material" is having side stories about other magical girls in the settings, or getting a standard but well executed "here is what Madoka's new world looks like". Nothing else could possibly function as a sequel, and Rebellion's decision to undo the happy ending is exactly what everyone who says "MAdoka is bad because it's edgelord ****" was expecting. Let the series unambiguously happy ending stand as it is, please, for the love of Madoka.
    Glad I had the exact same thought of "there's nothing new material could really add to my enjoyment of the series" and just...didn't watch any of the other stuff, because it definitely doesn't sound like I missed anything of value.

Series was good, great even. Let it lie lol.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2023-12-30 at 12:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Which is a very valid route for the story to go, particularly with the original series having the selfishness of wishes as a theme. It also helps a lot that it's clearly not intended as the end, and Homura may very well be ruined by her relatively honest selfishness as much as those who were dishonest about it were.

It's also entirely consistent with her character,
    Spoiler
    Show
    when you've fled to the past a hundred times to save one girl what's dooming one more timeline to you? It doesn't hurt that her powers seem to let her keep her memory whenever anybody hits the reset button, and those powers are also established to be ripple-effect proof...
    Except it's completely against her character because she won. She may not be with Madoka physically, but Madoka is now a literal god entity that collects all magical girls when they die and brings them to her house for tea in Magical Girl Heaven and the literal last lines of the series are that she can fight without fear or sadness or worry anymore because she knows somewhere Madoka is watching and caring for her! One day she will pass and be with her and that's good and how it ends!

There is no universe where the Incubators find a way to "trick the system back to how it was" because they're so literal minded that even after Homura tells Kyubey straight, he's like "damn that'd be useful for us, shame it doesn't work like that" and that's it. They are not creative enough beings to envision "a world where that's possible", simply acknowledging it'd be great for them but That's Not How **** Works. They cannot change the system because they are the system and the system is The System. Homura has no reason to do this and become Magical Girl Satan because it directly involves tearing Madoka down- the exact opposite of her goals.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's very valid for Gen Urobuchi (Urobuchi Gen?) to decide he has more to say on the themes and ideas, and the fact that it's been years since the last installment makes me more hopeful that it's the case with the new film. Yes the series stands on it's own as an individual work and I have no issue with people deciding to not watch any sequels because they don't think it needs them, but I'm willing to see where he's going here.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #64

I think it's very valid for Gen Urobuchi (Urobuchi Gen?) to decide he has more to say on the themes and ideas, and the fact that it's been years since the last installment makes me more hopeful that it's the case with the new film. Yes the series stands on it's own as an individual work and I have no issue with people deciding to not watch any sequels because they don't think it needs them, but I'm willing to see where he's going here.
    He explicitly did not, he barely had anything to do with Rebellion and Magi-Reco.

I'll admit I am curious in a bile fascination way with why Homura has a weird demon phone in the posters for this new series but I truly, genuinely don't think there's more to say.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

because they're so literal minded that even after Homura tells Kyubey straight, he's like "damn that'd be useful for us, shame it doesn't work like that" and that's it.
    Who told you that? Kyubey? He spends almost the entire show lying (mostly by omission, but it's possible that some of his claims are completely untrue). If there's anybody who he doesn't want to tell he's going to look into bringing it back it's the girl who gave him the information.

He explicitly did not, he barely had anything to do with Rebellion and Magi-Reco.

I'll admit I am curious in a bile fascination way with why Homura has a weird demon phone in the posters for this new series but I truly, genuinely don't think there's more to say.
    Plus it turns out Revellion's ending wasn't his idea anyway. I still personally like it, but it does make the film more half of a story whereas his intended version would have been a complete one.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Blegh, I was expecting more from these banana oliebollen. They just put a blob of banana paste in a cavity in the dough and called it a day.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Happy New Year, everyone!
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    Got another 11 1/2 hours yet, but Happy New Year to you.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    New year! Ha! Then tell me, future boy, who's President of the United States in 1985?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New year! Ha! Then tell me, future boy, who's President of the United States in 1985?
    Trick question, it's the one year the US spent as a monarchy.

My girlfriend got me Persona 5 ON SWITCH for Christmas and I'm coming up to the part where I have to name the Phantom Thieves. It's hard, profanity isn't as funny when the game actually uses it and IIRC the limit is just big enough to squeeze in something like Major Arcana (so no Shujin LGBT Society). I'm highly tempted just to go with Insert Name to make it seem like Joker couldn't come up with anything (probably distracted by Ryuji's eyes).

Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

I have it on good authority he didn't fill a shiny bomb casing with used pinball machine parts, does that count for anything?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I have it on good authority he didn't fill a shiny bomb casing with used pinball machine parts, does that count for anything?
    Well then how is he going to be found?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Well then how is he going to be found?
    They'll find him. I don't know how, but they'll find him. Run Fly for it, Peelee!
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

I prepped prawns for the first time today, it's a lot easier than I imagined! I also boiled the heads for like an hour and a half, so now I have to use the stock in more tasty dishes.

Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Got another 11 1/2 hours yet, but Happy New Year to you.
    And finally, Happy New Year!

And as soon as the fireworks quieten down I'm going to bed.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Another year, and once again I come to wish this community a Happy New Year, full of health and blessings. Cheers from Brazil. Welcome 2024!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

17. - Top - End - #77

Waching ssomeone play Street Fighter 6.

Actual line of dialog: "We wear these cardboard boxes on our heads to show how serious we are about the gangster life."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Waching ssomeone play Street Fighter 6.

Actual line of dialog: "We wear these cardboard boxes on our heads to show how serious we are about the gangster life."
    The sky looks blue because we want it to.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

19. - Top - End - #79

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all have a lovely year.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Happy New Year to you all to.

I've got Baldur's Gate 3, and Cyberpunk 2077 for Christmas so I'm trying to focus on getting Borderlands 3 and Divinity: Origin Sin 2 done so I can get play them due to computer space issues. been focusing on Borderlands 3 for that since I'm pretty sure its the shorter game all things considered. Admittedly, if I don't finish them fast enough I might just uninstall them to play the new things and get back to them later.

also my jumpchain character broke 100 jumps, so I'm thinking its finally time to cut back on adding any more and focus on actually writing those jumps out. But the temptation to get more perks.....it always calls.....and I do need to start developing her enemy jumper for one of them.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Happy new year to everybody!

I've got Baldur's Gate 3, and Cyberpunk 2077 for Christmas
    Ah, two games I want to adore but have issues with the trans representation in. Admittedly my gripe with BG3 is far more petty, but they included all these wonderful options in the game so you can play a horny nonbinary intersex tiefling paladin with dark urges and an affinity for BDSM, and then made ALL the party members cisgender (and mostly elfs). That said the Tiefling horns are majestic... dammit I want to restart BG3 again just so I can have some sexy sexy horns...

And yes I know if I want to make any of the characters gender the community made mods for it almost as fast as the bigger chests mods. It's the fact that nobody's trans by default that rubs me the wrong way.

Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

ah, shame about the cis party members for BG3, but romance is a side concern when it comes to the rpg experience based upon my experiences with Bioware and such and if need be, I am sure I can find mods to fix that, as I did with the Mass Effect trilogy.

Edit: wait I thought you were talking about cis romance, nevermind looked it up, we were talking completely different things, I don't have your issues with it.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2024-01-01 at 10:21 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The sky looks blue because we want it to.
    I'm also noticing that... It kind of feels like they wanted to do a Final Fight sequel but couldn't justify it so they folded it into Street Fighter.

Like, the World Tour Mode mostly takes place in Metro City, early on they summarize the plot of the Final Fight series, you've got the free roam and occasionally fighting multiple enemies at once, gangsters are a recurring random encounter, and the Mad Gear Gang in particular have a plot-relevant role.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #84

I'm also noticing that... It kind of feels like they wanted to do a Final Fight sequel but couldn't justify it so they folded it into Street Fighter.

Like, the World Tour Mode mostly takes place in Metro City, early on they summarize the plot of the Final Fight series, you've got the free roam and occasionally fighting multiple enemies at once, gangsters are a recurring random encounter, and the Mad Gear Gang in particular have a plot-relevant role.
    Yeah it turns out these two franchises are kinda inexorably linked oops.

25. - Top - End - #85

Yeah it turns out these two franchises are kinda inexorably linked oops.
    I didn't say it was a bad thing.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Happy New Year, GITP family.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

27. - Top - End - #87

I saw a video last night where somebody went through the crimes of classic Scooby Doo villains to figure out how long they'd be in prison for.

If you go by the Gang's ages in the orignal series bible(They're all under-18) then all of the menacing charges, endangerment of a minor charges, false imprisonment, and animal cruelty charges from trying to scare off the gang are consistently putting more time on their sentences than just what they were trying to cover up in the first place.

All the little crimes from trying to scare people away from their operations add up I guess.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

I saw a video last night where somebody went through the crimes of classic Scooby Doo villains to figure out how long they'd be in prison for.

If you go by the Gang's ages in the orignal series bible(They're all under-18) then all of the menacing charges, endangerment of a minor charges, false imprisonment, and animal cruelty charges from trying to scare off the gang are consistently putting more time on their sentences than just what they were trying to cover up in the first place.

All the little crimes from trying to scare people away from their operations add up I guess.
    "Don't commit a crime while you're committing another crime." remains solid advice.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Apparently, yes the customer knows me very well because he sees me almost every day at Starbucks but what can I say I'm very popular and famous in the Starbucks community.

Yes, you're right about that.
    That's pretty cool. Hopefully they'll start to give you caffeine-free free drinks now that you have a new year's goal of drinking less caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I was somewhat facetious and hyperbolic there, yes, but Plato was very much a product of his age and quite apologetic of certain, khm, cultural practices thereof, among which those pertaining to what kinds of relationships are normal between an older man of wealth and learning and a teenaged boy.
    Oh, I see. That's a good point and I didn't think about that.

It's the fact that nobody's trans by default that rubs me the wrong way.
    That is kinda disappointing.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    "Don't commit a crime while you're committing another crime." remains solid advice.
    And "the cover-up is worse than the crime".