New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: [Interest Check] Into the Dark Night (TRoS/BoIT/d10 custom system)

I will take conscience 4 and drama 3
    For every battle lost, there is a battle won.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

personally i may take an anti-conscience entitled know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Conscience 4
    Narset was raised with a firm set of morals. You do the right thing-doesn't matter if it's hard, tedious, or anything else that isn't enjoyable, you do the right thing.

Passion 2
    She takes to people easily, but she's especially passionate about her first love, a trader by the name of Adam Lenly. She'll work her butt off to help anyone she considers a friend, but anyone from the Lenly family (and especially Adam) is even more.

Drama 1
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    i will take drive 2 (kill anyone standing between you and stahl) destiny 2 (to unleash the beast within and spread chaos wherever you go) and drama 3
    Drive is acceptable.

Destiny... are you sure about that one? I'll veto the part about 'whenever you go': "He will unleash the beast within and spread chaos across the land".

Because I now have a very (not) nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressPaladin View Post
    I will take conscience 4 and drama 3
    Conscience is acceptable.

Drama is not a spiritual attribute per se. It's a separate mechanic. You will start with 3 points in Drama, but you need to spend the 7 points across 3 to 5 spiritual attributes.

How about Passion? You can have loyalty, you can friendship, or even hatred. Groups are also applicable. Hatred against liars? Hatred against assassins and murderers (as in 'dishonorably trying to kill people)? Loyalty to your lord, to your companion? Although I'd say that one can wait until you travel a bit together.

How about a nice Oath? "I will bring the barbarian to my lord and save my land from the danger!"

Faith... does not really apply to atheistic Stahlners.

Or a Drive? Drive is always a good choice. What would you like to achieve?

Also, these give me a lot of hooks for adventures. So that's why I'm asking for ones that are well defined.

personally i may take an anti-conscience entitled know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run
    That also sounds like a philosophy. And there is no anti-conscience.

For your character... I'd say go with Passion. Hatred. Whom does he hate? Or loyalty? To the smartypants knight that promised to save him?

We have Drive, Destiny... again, going with Passion is maybe a good step in the right direction.

Or Passion: "Soft side for the little guy,". Meaning you don't like when the commoners get into the line of fire, and you generally try not to worsen their current state. It would be like a very narrow Conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Conscience 4
    Narset was raised with a firm set of morals. You do the right thing-doesn't matter if it's hard, tedious, or anything else that isn't enjoyable, you do the right thing.

Passion 2
    She takes to people easily, but she's especially passionate about her first love, a trader by the name of Adam Lenly. She'll work her butt off to help anyone she considers a friend, but anyone from the Lenly family (and especially Adam) is even more.

Drama 1
    Again, Conscience is always good thing to have.

Passion: in this case, it could be either taken as Loyalty (Lenly family) or Love (Adam). Either way, not sure if that will apply considering the game will be moving form one country to another. I'd suggest keeping it with 0 points (or 1) if you want, and adding a more general Passion/more applicable to matter at hand.

Same as above, Drama does not count. You all get Drama points but they are outside of SAs.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2024-02-11 at 04:27 PM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

5. - Top - End - #95

Oh, I was confused about Drama too, looks like.

Drive 1
    See the natural world protected.

And for the Passion being changed... Hrm... Lemme think.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2024-02-11 at 04:28 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I was confused about Drama too, looks like.

Drive 1
    See the natural world protected.

And for the Passion being changed... Hrm... Lemme think.
    That specific Drive... is acceptable.

Bear in mind: you want this to come into play as often as possible: these are your XP points. You spend them to improve, as your passions/drive/loyalties push you into danger and to improve yourself.

So you want something that will come up as often as possible. Still, shouldn't be too narrow (e.g. specific character that does not travel with you), but it can't be too wide (e.g. hatred against all enemies) and with the exception of Destiny, it should not be something beyond your decision (e.g. survival instinct).

Destiny's wild stuff, because the GM either agrees with you on specific destiny to be played out, or they take the destiny and implement it - as stated - into game. So when you write it down, and the GM agrees... the destiny is going to pass as written. You can fight it. Good luck with that

Destiny requires big amount of trust: because it can't be too straightforward, but it needs to be true to the statement. I like destinies. And anti-destinies.

Story time:
    Spoiler: Ragnar's destiny
    Show

One of my players took the destiny of 'To die protecting those that hate him". He took it mostly as a challenge - I challenged him to take it and to defy it.
    He was basically this viking barbarian in a civilized country. Former slave. Horrible past, wonderful future. Whenever he tried helping someone, he checked if they had anything against Savaxen - his country of origin - and if so, he smugly refused to protect them.
    For first few games, nothing major happened. He gained a point or two by saving some farmers. Over the course of the game, the party ventured into certain town that was in the way of an enemy army. At some point, the lord of the town was found dead, his advisor turned traitor, so the party scrambled for next leader of the town. They found him, but the townsfolk decided to just leave and not wage war.
    The party needed to slow down the army, so who stands up and delivers this heartfelt speech about '...I am not one of your town, or one of your country, but I will return and fight along your side!"

At that point, I handed him a slip of a paper with statement "you just gained 4 points to your Destiny, it's now at 5".
    He went pale.

The story continued, and he even fulfilled the destiny. It was quite epic.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

7. - Top - End - #97

Alright. Definitely keeping Conscience high, but I'll think on the others more.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Conscience 3
    Passion 3 “Loyalty to those that are loyal to me.”
    Drive 1 “To deliver my lord from danger.”

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

i will drop destiny to one and take passion those who tortured me shall suffer agony, and know it well at 2
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2024-02-11 at 05:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

for my last passion it is Honor and chivalry? Let's see how well they fare when they're asleep and their blood is on my knives
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2024-02-11 at 05:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Conscience 3
    Passion 3 “Loyalty to those that are loyal to me.”
    Drive 1 “To deliver my lord from danger.”
    Conscience: ok
    Drive: ok
    Passion... not so sure about it. You *could* start with a loyalty regarding the group, no problem about that (Loyalty: My Companions), but that would be maybe better served as an Oath.

This is one of the fringe cases where it looks like a bit too wide, but if we come to an agreement when/whom it should appply to, I'll be fine with it.

So, whom should it apply to? And when?

i will drop destiny to one and take passion those who tortured me shall suffer agony, and know it well at 2
    I'd extend this one a bit. Hatred: Those who betrayed and tortured me.

That will cover also their lords and lackeys. Which will help immensely. How about it?

It won't cover bounty hunters, random guys and local guards, but that's fine: it will apply to the guys who specifically went against you. And I'm fine with that.

for my last passion it is Honor and chivalry? Let's see how well they fare when they're asleep and their blood is on my knives
    This one I'm completely missing. Do you mean a hatred against honorable people?

Bear in mind: Passion is about emotions. You feel loyal to someone. You hate someone. You love someone. You could hate a principle (hatred against those who lie) or a group (hatred against religious fanatics), but it needs to be clearly defined.

I don't mind using character's own words to extend/explain the Passion, but I'll need a clear statement to be able to work with it mechanically.

So, what exactly is meant by this?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

i imagine its a general hatred of those who espouse the standard chivalry line and honor in general. johann will happily show them up by chucking a fistful of gravel in their face and then show them the error of their ways

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

i imagine its a general hatred of those who espouse the standard chivalry line and honor in general. johann will happily show them up by chucking a fistful of gravel in their face and then show them the error of their ways
    @ProgressPaladin: are you potentially okay with this?

My general view is, that intra-party conflict and tension is all okay while all sides are okay with it and enjoy some bickering.

PvP is frowned upon and a character that causes it will be reduced to NPC status quick.

So, if this is meant as a way to show the honorable squire that real world cares a little about honor and it will lead to him learning about combat pragmatism and gray areas of morals from the barbarian, and in turn, teaches the barbarian that acting honorable has its time and place, reason and rewards, I am fine with it. Both characters should learn something from the other one.

And Spiritual Attributes can evolve/change over the duration of the game, so that's not a problem.

The young squire that is attempting to become a good knight and the barbarian that sees a wider world for the first time, both learning that their worldview was limited. That's a good story, and one I'd enjoy.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yes, I would be fine with that. I was thinking the passion would apply when sacrificing something for someone who has sacrificed something for me. Would that be ok? Or should I change it?
    Last edited by ProgressPaladin; 2024-02-12 at 12:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Conscience 4

Drive 2
    The world is a beautiful place to be explored. Narset wants to see everything the world has to offer-from the peaks of mountains to the depths of valleys, molten volcanoes and icy tundra, great forests and great cities.

Passion 1
    Friendship, for the party and those who are kind to us.

This work, DM?

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, I would be fine with that. I was thinking the passion would apply when sacrificing something for someone who has sacrificed something for me. Would that be ok? Or should I change it?
    We can give it a try. We'll see how it goes.

Conscience 4

Drive 2
    The world is a beautiful place to be explored. Narset wants to see everything the world has to offer-from the peaks of mountains to the depths of valleys, molten volcanoes and icy tundra, great forests and great cities.

Passion 1
    Friendship, for the party and those who are kind to us.

This work, DM?
    Works for me. Drive related to exploration is fine. Friendship towards your companions is also okay. Kindness to strangers is covered under Conscience though, but we'll make do.

Okay, gimme a day to prep the packets related to your backpacks. Also, I'll have a small surprise for you all.

Last things:

Calculate your CP and MP (melee combat pool = CP, calculated as Reflex + Proficiency; MP = missile pool, calculated as AIM + Proficiency).

Your first combat will be a light one, to explain the mechanics.

If there are any questions regarding the characters, ask away. I'll also prepare the intro. You'll be jumping into the whole thing in-medias-res.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Combat Pool: 13 (Cut & Thrust, Polearm)
    Missile Pool: 12 (Spear/Javelin)

18. - Top - End - #108

Physical 19 Total
    Strength 4
    Agility 5
    Toughness 3
    Health 3+1=4
    Endurance 4
    Mental 20 Total
    Willpower 3
    Wit 3
    Mental Aptitude 3
    Social 4-1=3
    Perception 7
    Derived -
    Reflex 4
    Aim 6
    Knock Down 4
    Knock Out 4
    Move 6
    Power 5

Proficiencies-11 Total
    Bows 6
    Daggers 3
    Druidic Magic 2

Skills-6/6
    Explorer [Teamster, Riding]
    Woodswoman

MA: Singing
    MA: Hunting/Trapping improvement
    MA: Sneaking improvement

Animal Guise 6
    Appraisal 8
    Breaking and entering 7
    Camouflage 6
    Climbing 5
    First aid 7
    Herbalist 7
    Hunting 6
    Trapping 7
    Navigation 6
    Orienteering 4
    Riding 6
    Scrounging 6
    Search 6
    Singing 6
    Sneak 6
    Streetwise 6
    Survival 5
    Swimming 4
    Teamster 6
    Tracking 7
    Weather Sense 6

Healer's Songs
    -Soothing
    -Mending
    -Cleansing

Daggers CP: 7
    Bows CP: 12

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, last two funky parts.

Combat maneuvers:
    Check your proficiency HERE to see your maneuvers. Feel free to write them down, or just use this sheet. You know all that your proficiency level allows you.

Activation cost tells you how many dice you spend to activate the maneuver.

Check the maneuvers HERE.

And I'm off back to work.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

What is quick draw, winding and binding, twitching, and master strike?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

What is quick draw, winding and binding, twitching, and master strike?
    Some maneuvers from the Flower of Battle supplement. I'm not going to use Winding & Binding, as that's like adding a combat into combat (it's the 'we cross swords and push/twist/circle' maneuver).

Quick Draw: iaijutsu. Drawing and attacking in one exchange/fluent motion. Can be used to cut/bash or to parry (so it's offensive or defensive) with medium range or shorter weapons (there's a additional 1CP activation cost for straight-bladed or hafted weapons). Longer weapons can be used to pommel thrust.
    Process: declare quick draw, decide on the attack (allocate dice). You have to succeed on a terrain roll then (so you allocate dice) with cut ATN (-1 if your hand is free, -2 if your hand is already on the grip). If you succeed, you can attack immediately. If you fail, your weapon will be free by next exchange.

Twitching: Ever seen a zwerchcopter?
    Similar to the feint, you twitch back the blade as soon as it makes contact with opponent's parry, to bring another attack, to the other opponent's side. To work, it requires your attack actually gets parried - successfully.
    Process: you declare twitch together with cutting/bashing attack, pay the activation cost and put a secret quantity of dice into your hand, taken from your CP. If your attack succeeds or is complete failure (no successes, but no fumble), return half of the dice to your CP (if dice are refreshed, they are lost). Combat continues normally. However, if opponent manages to defend against your attack (including ties) with any maneuver other than evasion, reveal the secret dice: if the number of dice is higher than your opponent's net successes, put them and dice from opponent's margin of success into your next attack (as bonus dice). This next attack needs to be with the opposite edge or side of the weapon and be on the opposite side of your opponent (e.g. you twitch horizontal left to right, diagonal to horizontal or other diagonal, ...). If the secret amount of dice is smaller than opponent's net successes, the twitch fails.
    No more than four twitches in a row are possible.

Master-strike: is an actual strike that attacks and defends in one single move, by displacing opponent's weapon (defending) and striking. It's far away and only masters (proficiency 12+) can learn it. Basically, at this point you are so good that you can one-shot most opponents.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Equipment time!

Give me your picks, write them down. Feel free to suggest replacements, if you find something that you don't really like.

Also, answer potential questions in the text.

I'll return to mapmaking.

Spoiler: bramblefoot/Johann
    Show

You will start with a dull longsword. Who did you take it from?
    You are wearing a dirty tunic you stole from one of your former clansmates. What colour was it before it got covered in blood and dirt?
    You have your old boots, leather pants and a simple cloak with fur lining.
    You have an empty backpack. You scavenged an old wineskin, a frying pan, few pieces o chalk, a loaf of day old rye bread, a roll of oilcloth and old wool blanket.
    Your pouch contains 1d6 copper denarii, two small pieces of copper jewelry and one small silver nugget. Whose were those?
    You have a small bag of salted meat (should last around 2 days) and managed to steal (pick two items):
    a) a small round shield, bent and scraped
    b) leather vest, worn and holding together just by willpower
    c) a horned helmet, missing one horn and slightly dented
    d) few bandages
    e) a whetstone
    f) a bottle of spirits, half empty
    g) a small pouch full of foreign coins
    h) a small talisman
    You also start with manacles.

Spoiler: JNAProductions/Narset Sifou
    Show

Your pouch contains 30 silver pieces, split between 1d10 Stahlner silver funts, 1d10 silver imperial sterlings and 1d10 copper denarii. The rest is various small trinkets or jewelry.

Your backpack and your saddle bags contain food (traveller’s rations – dried pork, biscuits, cheese, linen-covered ham, bacon, a small bag of peas, a small bag of flour, dried fruit - enough for 7 days)

Your backpack also contains a waterskin, tinderbox with flint & steel, a bottle of wine/liquor, spare linen tunic & comfortable shoes.

You are wearing a well-made linen dress embroidered with a pattern (tell me what the pattern is and what it signifies). You also have leather gloves and leather boots. You have a small dagger on your belt.

You have a work horse; it's carrying saddle bags and your horsehair bedroll. Name it.

You also have a map of the area.

Furthermore, you get several picks from the following lists. You can spend two A, two B and four C picks. Each of these can be traded for lower or higher level pick with 1:2 ratio.

Weapon:
    A: a finely-crafted shortbow (pick one: ATN 5, DMG +1 or increased range)/an old, rune-covered dagger of mysterious origin
    B: standard shortbow/fine large dagger/quiver with 10 bodkin and 10 broadhead arrows
    C: large dagger/jambiya dagger/10 hunting and 10 bodkin arrows
    D: small dagger/20 hunting arrows

Armor (stats for AV are for cut/puncture/blunt damage); you can spend only one pick here:
    A: a fine scaled armor over a leather vest with a coif (covers torso and legs down to upper thighs; AV 5/4/4; coif protects the upper head AV 4/4/2)
    B: a couir boulli (boiled leather) breastplate (AV 3/3/4)
    C: a well-made leather doublet (covers torso AV 3/3/4 and arms AV 1/3/1)/heavy fur/hide cloak (AV 1/3/1)
    D: a leather vest (covers torso, AV 1/3/1)/leather pants (AV 1/3/1)/an aketon (padded armor, covers torso, upper legs and arms, AV 0/1/1)/rain-proofed leather cape /leather vambraces (cover forearms, AV 1/3/1)

Miscellaneous
    A: a riding horse carrying a pavillion tent/a small healing potion/a fine surgeon’s kit
    B: a work horse carrying a small tent/spyglass/silver mess kit/a quiver full of hunting arrows/surgeon’s kit/fine hood and cloak
    C: a mule/iron lantern with a bottle of oil/velvet pouch with soap/cooking pot/whetstone and oil/salted meat (2 days worth)/small healing poultice/healer’s satchel/fur cape
    D: Bandage kit (3 bandages, a small vial of spirits)/a 50'rope and grappling hook/a bag of grain and a pouch of dried blackberries/sack of healing herbs/fur hat

Spoiler: ProgressPaladin/...
    Show

You have your sidesword and the katzbalger.

Your pouch contains 25 silver pieces, split between 1d20 Stahlner silver funts, 1d10 copper pfennigs and 1d10 imperial copper denarii. The rest is various small trinkets or jewelry.

Your backpack contains food (knight's rations – dried beef, hardtack, cheese, linen-covered bacon, a small bag of grain, enough for 5 days), a waterskin, tinderbox with flint & steel, a bottle of wine/liquor, spare linen tunic & boots.

You are wearing a tabard with your lord’s symbol (tell me what the symbol is) over a linen tunic (tell me what the difference in colour is between your spare one and this one), leather gloves and leather boots. You have a small dagger on your belt.

You have your shire horse (name it). Your horse is carrying saddle bags, the balanced spear and 2 javelins, as well as your horsehair bedroll.
    The saddle bags contains a brush for the horse.

You also have a letter from your lord, providing you with safe passage once in Stahl, as one of his servants. And a small signet ring with your father’s crest.

Furthermore, you get several picks from the following lists. You can spend one A, two B and three C picks. Each of these can be traded for lower or higher level pick with 1:2 ratio.

Armor (stats for AV are for cut/puncture/blunt damage):
    A: a light mail hauberk with coif (covers torso, arms above elbows and legs down to knees; AV 4/4/2; coif protects the head)/plate breastplate, pauldrons, vambraces and thigh guards (AV 4/4/4)
    B: a couir boulli (boiled leather) breastplate (AV 3/3/4)
    C: a well-made leather doublet (covers torso AV 3/3/4 and arms AV 1/3/1)
    D: a leather vest (covers torso, AV 1/3/1) or an aketon (padded armor, covers torso, upper legs and arms, AV 0/1/1) or leather vambraces (cover forearms, AV 1/3/1)

Other clothes and armor:
    A: a pot helm (bascinet, covers upper head and sides, AV 5/5/5, penalty of -0,5 CP and penalty -1 to hearing) or a knightly banded shield
    B: kettle helm (AV 4, covers the upper head only) or medium round banded shield
    C: leather cap (AV 1/3/1, covers the upper head and sides), or a heavy fur/hide cloak (AV 1/3/1) or small wooden round shield
    D: leather pants (AV 1/3/1), or a leather cape (rain-resistant) or a buckler

Miscellaneous
    A: a spare riding horse/work horse carrying a pavillion tent/a small healing potion
    B: a work horse carrying a small tent/spyglass/silver mess kit/quality leather boots
    C: Iron lantern with a bottle of oil/velvet pouch with soap/cooking pot/whetstone and oil/salted meat (2 days worth)/small healing poultice/fur cape/fur boots
    D: Bandage kit (3 bandages, a small vial of spirits)/a 50'rope and grappling hook/a bag of grain and a pouch of dried blackberries/small bag of salt/fur hat/cloak

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

i will take the shield and the helmet sah

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Archer Havensfold:
    (1d20)[19] Stahlnish Silver
    (1d10)[7] Copper Pfennigs
    (1d10)[7] Imperial Copper Denarii

Lords Symbol: Three keys, one upright, the other 2 crossing over it.
    Tunic: One is a bright blue, the other a muted red.
    Shire horse: Hawken

1 A, 3 B, 1 C

A: A light mail hauberk with coif (covers torso, arms above elbows and legs down to knees; AV 4/4/2; coif protects the head)/plate breastplate, pauldrons, vambraces and thigh guards (AV 4/4/4)

B: A work horse carrying a small tent, Quality leather boots, Kettle helm (AV 4, covers the upper head only)

C: Salted meat (2 days worth)

My armor (As I understand it)
    Top of head: 4/4/4;4/4/2(Helmet/Coif)
    Bottom of head: 4/4/2 (Coif)
    Shoulders 4/4/4 (Pauldrons)
    Chest 4/4/4;4/4/2 (Breastplate/Coif)
    Arms 4/4/2;4/4/4 (Vambraces/Coif)
    Thighs 4/4/2;4/4/4 (Thigh Guards/Coif)
    Shins ?/?/?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

i will take the shield and the helmet sah
    Horned helmet: AV 4/4/4 against upper head (diagonal & vertical) attacks
    Slightly dented (reduced durability)

Small round wooden shield: Melee Block DTN: 6, Missile Block TN: 8
    Bent & scraped (reduced durability).
    What is painted on the shield?

Archer Havensfold:
    Squire Archer Havensfold

[roll0] Stahlnish Silver
    [roll1] Copper Pfennigs
    [roll2] Imperial Copper Denarii
    Good roll!

Stahlnish coins (pfunts/funts and pfennigs) are actually 'heavy' coins. They are somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5 weight/value when compared with imperial coins.
    One quarter of a copper (broken copper are called 'bits') buys you a fresh loaf of bread; a silver coin will buy you a dagger.

As for the rest, you have a small amber-inlaid silver ring and two engraved copper bracelets.

Lords Symbol: Three keys, one upright, the other 2 crossing over it.
    Tunic: One is a bright blue, the other a muted red.
    Shire horse: Hawken
    So, your lord is baron Albrecht von Dreischlöss? Good to know.

1 A, 3 B, 1 C

A: A light mail hauberk with coif (covers torso, arms above elbows and legs down to knees; AV 4/4/2; coif protects the head)/plate breastplate, pauldrons, vambraces and thigh guards (AV 4/4/4)

B: A work horse carrying a small tent, Quality leather boots, Kettle helm (AV 4, covers the upper head only)

C: Salted meat (2 days worth)
    You can either get the hauberk or the breastplate. I originally prepared a table but the forum ate two of them, so I decided to do a rewrite and it's not so visible with the slashes. Sorry for that. So unless you use two 'A's, you get just one of them.

With the coif you can cover the lower face (but not the upper part of face) or keep it open.

The breastplate is better against the blunt damage, but has open parts (e.g. elbows, hips).

If you put on two armors, you take the better value of one of them (e.g. with leather the basic AV is 2, with light plate it's 4) and the best modifier (leather has -1/+1/-1, light plate has +0/+0/+0). So a light plate breastplate worn over a leather vest gives AV 4/5/4.

In general, the combination of lighter/soft armor (e.g. leather, padded) and hard/heavier armor (plate) is allowed. There are certain rules for fatigue encumbrance (e.g. if you wear leather armor with more than 2 plate accessories on arms, or mail/plate sleeves/full leg armor), but I prepared these packs in such way you won't suffer from it.

Because we're keeping it simple. Don't want to overcomplicate it.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A: A light mail hauberk with coif (covers torso, arms above elbows and legs down to knees; AV 4/4/2; coif protects the head)

C: A well-made leather doublet (covers torso AV 3/3/4 and arms AV 1/3/1)

27. - Top - End - #117

Spoiler: Narset Sifou
    Show
    Physical 19 Total
    Strength 4
    Agility 5
    Toughness 3
    Health 3+1=4
    Endurance 4
    Mental 20 Total
    Willpower 3
    Wit 3
    Mental Aptitude 3
    Social 4-1=3
    Perception 7
    Derived -
    Reflex 4
    Aim 6
    Knock Down 4
    Knock Out 4
    Move 6
    Power 5

Proficiencies-11 Total
    Bows 6
    Daggers 3
    Druidic Magic 2

Skills-6/6
    Woodswoman

Animal Guise 6
    Appraisal 8
    Breaking and entering 7
    Camouflage 6
    Climbing 5
    First aid 7
    Herbalist 7
    Hunting 6
    Trapping 7
    Navigation 6
    Orienteering 4
    Riding 6
    Scrounging 6
    Search 6
    Singing 6
    Sneak 6
    Streetwise 6
    Survival 5
    Swimming 4
    Teamster 6
    Tracking 7
    Weather Sense 6

Healer's Songs
    -Soothing
    -Mending
    -Cleansing

Equipment

30 silver pieces, plus (3d10)[7][2][3](12) additional coins
    Backpack
    Traveler's Rations, 7 Days
    Waterskin
    Tinderbox with Flint and Steel
    Bottle of wine
    Spare Tunic
    Shoes
    Linen Dress-the pattern of concentric circles mimics the circles of power used by practioners of Druidic magics
    Map
    Oswald, Horse

A: Finely Crafted Shortbow
    A: Fine Scaled Armor with a Coif
    B: 10 bodkin and 10 Broadhead arrows
    B: Fine large dagger
    D: Bandage Kit
    D: 50' Rope with Hook
    D: Bag of grain and pouch of berries
    D: Sack of healing herbs

Remind me what ATN 5 means.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

A: A light mail hauberk with coif (covers torso, arms above elbows and legs down to knees; AV 4/4/2; coif protects the head)

C: A well-made leather doublet (covers torso AV 3/3/4 and arms AV 1/3/1)
    Okay, good choices.

Spoiler: Story so far
    Show

Baron Albrecht von Dreischlöss is a good lord. He treats his knights well, and makes sure their squires are also taken care of and not exploited - at least beyond the usual knightly way. That meant washing, cleaning and oiling knights' armor, taking care of horses, swords, and serving the knight. Still, there was a possibility of winning his own gilded spurs one day - although the idea of winning ones through the rigors of combat and heroic deeds was a more exciting one.

The knight he served was his father's old friend, and asked no more than was usually expected of squires. He trained him well in combat, sparring with him often, while he was able to. Even when the call came, to escort this foppish Cormanthiri nobleman east, to Otamarluk, Archer was not too surprised when his knight was selected: he was still able to hold his own, and did not back off from any challenge.

They rode for several weeks - staying in inns, or camping out. Having to cater to the fop was irritating, but Archer did not have to engage with him most of the time. They passed the Altrun forest, and headed towards the mountains north of the Scar and the surrounding wasteland.

It was the furthest Archer ever travelled - the land changed from the known areas to lands completely unknown. The sky was the same, but the air was different, the forests were more treacherous, and it seemed wilder. And the wasteland was horrible - dark red sand and stones, thin sickly grass, a lot of dead trees. Strange dreams.

They encountered several groups of riders, but not one dared to challenge the well-armed Stahlners riding on their great horses. But one day, they saw a group that dragged a man. Bloodied, his eyes bloodshot, his demeanor grim - he seemed like trouble, but his captors were definitely not pleasant.

Archer wished to engage them, the fop wanted to evade them. It did not take too much persuading to make the old knight agree, that they should not let them drag the strange man - and the knight rode to engage with the bounty hunters, to find out what was the reason. And then it happened.

The old knight rode ahead, closing in. Suddenly, he shouted something, and a battle was joined: the knight was under attack by the hunters. Archer rode to help him, but by the time he closed the distance, the knight was already on the ground. The rest of the escort was split. It was a wild battle, and the result was horrible. The fop was dead. The old knight was dying. Only Archer and the strange man stood there, alive. The old knight explained the attack: the men were cultists. Fanatics. He knew them, as he fought them 30 years ago, when they pushed them back to the Scar. Archer knew the story - his father told it often - and when the strange man told them the reason why he was dragged, Archer knew he had to bring him back to Stahl, to his lord.

A traitor, in Stahl, close to his lord. A new offensive to be launched by the Cult. The old knight told him to swear to protect the man and to bring the news and him back... but died of his wounds before he had a chance to hear the oath. Archer took the man, manacled as he was, and helped him get on one of the horses.

This was few days ago. They evaded hunters, trackers. They fought two times, and they were both wounded - just scratches and flesh wounds, but nothing pleasant. The man on the horse behind him still wore the manacles and remained silent most of the time. They were in a forest, near the crossroads, and he saw a refuge nearby. Old wooden hut, surrounded by a makeshift palisade. Someone was inside, cooking. It was almost sunset, no time to prepare a camp. And it would be a cold night.

They went inside, hoping for some hospitality.

Spoiler: Narset Sifou
    Show
    Physical 19 Total
    Strength 4
    Agility 5
    Toughness 3
    Health 3+1=4
    Endurance 4
    Mental 20 Total
    Willpower 3
    Wit 3
    Mental Aptitude 3
    Social 4-1=3
    Perception 7
    Derived -
    Reflex 4
    Aim 6
    Knock Down 4
    Knock Out 4
    Move 6
    Power 5

Proficiencies-11 Total
    Bows 6
    Daggers 3
    Druidic Magic 2

Skills-6/6
    Woodswoman

Animal Guise 6
    Appraisal 8
    Breaking and entering 7
    Camouflage 6
    Climbing 5
    First aid 7
    Herbalist 7
    Hunting 6
    Trapping 7
    Navigation 6
    Orienteering 4
    Riding 6
    Scrounging 6
    Search 6
    Singing 6
    Sneak 6
    Streetwise 6
    Survival 5
    Swimming 4
    Teamster 6
    Tracking 7
    Weather Sense 6

Healer's Songs
    -Soothing
    -Mending
    -Cleansing

Equipment

30 silver pieces, plus [roll0] additional coins
    Backpack
    Traveler's Rations, 7 Days
    Waterskin
    Tinderbox with Flint and Steel
    Bottle of wine
    Spare Tunic
    Shoes
    Linen Dress-the pattern of concentric circles mimics the circles of power used by practioners of Druidic magics
    Map
    Oswald, Horse

A: Finely Crafted Shortbow
    A: Fine Scaled Armor with a Coif
    B: 10 bodkin and 10 Broadhead arrows
    B: Fine large dagger
    D: Bandage Kit
    D: 50' Rope with Hook
    D: Bag of grain and pouch of berries
    D: Sack of healing herbs

Remind me what ATN 5 means.
    ATN = attack target number. It's the number on d10 that marks a success (so when you roll your full CP of 12 for your bow, you'll roll against TN5, each die that is equal or above to the ATN is a hit, so the lower the ATN, the easier it is to hit someone and to cause him horrible body damage.

The only thing that went wrong was the money.
    The 30 silver coins are split between:
    7 silver pfunts (Stahlnish silver coins)
    2 silver imperial sterlings (imperial coins; there is no empire anymore but these are accepted almost anywhere; lighter coins so not as valuable)
    3 copper imperial denarii

The rest is:
    a small scroll-case decorated with moonstone and black onyx
    a copper ring inlaid with a small quartz stone
    a silver cape brooch with the same pattern as your clothes
    a hematite-inlaid copper bracelet
    small silver earrings with amber
    a small talisman made out of bones and uncut onyx

(you have 30 silver, but the form of them is different)

Show

You live in the Altrun forest, the 'rune' forest. A place with lot of magic potential, known for wild stories: the forest sleeps during the day and moves at night, it does not like visitors an fights off anyone uninvited, driving them mad. It is said to be full of fae magic, faeries, howler spirits, will-o-wisps and other, unnamed things, older than the forest itself.

You have seen some of them. You have seen the will-o-wisps, heard the howlers, touched the fae magic. You live there, in the forest that brave men avoid if they can.

But you need to trade. The folks that you heal pay you with trinkets, with coin, with food or with services - your home is comfortable and safe, well hidden in depths of the forest, but sometimes you need to venture out. Because for some illness, the ailment lies outside the forest.

This was one of those trips. You went east and south, you rode with your bags empty to collect herbs that grow only near the place you know as the Gaellan wastes, but others call 'the Scar'. You evaded eyes of people, stayed out of sight. You collected your herbs, filled your pouches. Only few days of work and you can return home.

Your favourite refuge was the one in the forest, the one people seldom found. But this evening, something strange happened. You heard voices. Two men. Both wounded, both with the look of someone who is hunted yet has a purpose. The young one, the knightly-looking one, asked for help. You let them in, helped them with their wounds.

And that's how your adventure begun.

No comments so far. Please align the skills (if you have the same skill in both packets, take the better rating and decrease it by one step). No need to divide them between skill packets: once the game starts, each skill is separate.

Show

You were working on a task (read: interrogated a prisoner using force... specifically to break them to confess to a crime so the 'process' would be simple). The prisoner was a warlord of high position within the cult - basically a leader of a large war tribe (somewhere around a thousand warriors), so unless he confessed, there would be a war within the cult. Under pressure, he broke and revealed that he and two other warlords were tasked by the King Priest's advisor council (the second highest priests) with leading an invasion into the Stahl territory.

He refused, because he did not wish to wage war with Stahl - he thought it a stupid provocation, without reason, because Stahl was far, territories between the Scar and it were ripe for taking, and it made no sense. He babbled about it a long while - but one thing stood out.

It was a betrayal of the King Priest by the council. Betrayal of his people, betrayal of his warlords. Losing a lot of lives to weaken the position of the High King. Letting them march into Stahl and get destroyed because there is no support, no supply lines.

The only thing he knew about this plan was that someone in Stahl was supposed to help. He told you the name.

Legally - within the Cult - this is considered to be a betrayal: the council represents the King Priest. Disobeying an order is a betrayal.

You reported this, including his mad babbles about betrayal. And in turn, you found yourself in a cell, awaiting torture. You knew the lingo, so you knew they were going to torture you to death: to break you completely so you'd agree to anything and then public shaming and execution.
    You managed to escape.

You stole a sword from the guard. You grabbed few things and a horse. They hunted you, shot the horse from under you. You ran.
    You were already far enough from the Scar when they grabbed you. You fought. You bloodied your tunic. You killed few men, but there were too many. You were in manacles once again.

You were saved by a coincidence: a Stahlnish noble was escorted by few knights ran into your escort and a battle ensued. The knights fought valiantly, but only the young squire managed to survive. You and the squire.

He listened to you. You did not tell him everything, but you told him enough - about the provocation, about a traitor. You kept the traitor's name, but mentioned the other name: the one who was supposed to be betrayed. You asked for an escort to tell your story to the lord.

The squire immediately sat on his horse and brought you one of the enemy horses. You rode. There were other hunters. The squire fought of two of them, but got wounded. So did you.
    And then you found the refuge. Deep in a forest, far enough from the Scar to not be immediately suspicous.

The 'story so far' parts are basically just pre-introductions. They mostly explain how you got where you are now. If you think something does not fit your character, let me know.

I am almost ready to begin, will need maybe until the weekend to finish my preps and we can start. As I said, we'll open fast and hopefully keep it moving.

Regarding the charsheets: I'll set up an OOC tomorrow, you can move the charsheets there. Please let everyone catch a spot for their charsheet/link before posting in OOC. I don't mind having the sheets elsewhere/in other form.

Any questions?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I’m just ready to begin.