New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Borderlands ( August 2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    Torgue doesn't exactly need Joaquin Phoenix to play him. Dude just stands there yelling out cheesy one liners and bragging about how awesome he is, which is pretty much all you could expect from Hulk Hogan anyway.
    Thing is, he kinda doesn't.

Remember that Mister Torgue was from that one game where they had a writer, so although his lines are all goofy jokes they're not always simple lines, sometimes the joke is that what he's saying would normally be quite eloquent he's just shouting it with maximum commitment.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Remember that Mister Torgue was from that one game where they had a writer, so although his lines are all goofy jokes they're not always simple lines, sometimes the joke is that what he's saying would normally be quite eloquent he's just shouting it with maximum commitment.
    It's also very easy for the character's gimmick to get very grating, so you want an actor with a lot of charisma and good comedic chops who can really sell the lines and who you enjoy watching.

Also Torque's not from Tales from the Borderlands.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I expected this to be bad from the very first casting announcement, however many years ago that was. Everything I have seen since has convinced me that I was right.

They managed to miscast pretty much every single character, with the possible exception of Krieg. Jamie Lee Curtis would at least make a great Tannis if she were 20ish years younger. Nobody else even comes close to good casting, although I at least understand why they would think of Jack Black for Claptrap.

But aside from bad casting, they appear to have also just picked characters at random to feature, instead of focusing on the characters from one game or the other. They don't appear to have captured the personalities of any of the characters all that well, nor does the humor style feel like authentic Borderlands to me. Also, it's a total crime that they didn't use "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" in the trailer.

About the only good things I can say for this is that the costumes and set design look to be pretty on point. Shame those people's talents are going to be wasted on a movie that looks to have all the hallmarks of another bad video game adaptation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I expected this to be bad from the very first casting announcement, however many years ago that was. Everything I have seen since has convinced me that I was right.
    I was in the same boat as you until I saw the casting. This is definitely not the movie fans of the franchise were hoping for but this movie is going to be a well acted hot mess. Likely a cult classic, and I cannot wait!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeptunianOM View Post
    I was in the same boat as you until I saw the casting. This is definitely not the movie fans of the franchise were hoping for but this movie is going to be a well acted hot mess. Likely a cult classic, and I cannot wait!
    The casting is the #1 thing I don't like about this movie, though. Jamie Lee Curtis would be a great choice for Patricia Tannis if she were 20 years younger. Everyone else is an egregious miscast, IMO.
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2024-03-14 at 07:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The actress they got for Tina is at least reasonably close - a 16-year old playing a supposed 13-year old. Krieg has the physicality, but you just know they're going to butcher his writing so it doesn't matter who plays Krieg without The Other Guy providing commentary.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2024-03-14 at 10:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    The casting is the #1 thing I don't like about this movie, though. Jamie Lee Curtis would be a great choice for Patricia Tannis if she were 20 years younger. Everyone else is an egregious miscast, IMO.
    Hey, Jack Black as a quirky goofball you can't quite take seriously will never be a miscasting, and he absolutely has the vocal range to do the role justice. If you had to cast a big Hollywood name rather than just grabbing a good voice actor, Jack Black is the best choice you could have made. Claptrap is fine. Tina is also fine, and Krieg looks perfect (we'll see how well they do the much trickier job of characterizing him).

I think we all agree that Roland and Lilith are horrible, yeah. And I do question both the decision to put Tanith front and centre and the decision to cast Jamie Lee Curtis in the role, so I agree with you there.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

I personally find Jack Black grating, so I supposed as a voice for Claptrap they very much succeeded.

Tiny Tina seems solid. The actress has a cherubic face, it just remains to be seen if she can keep up the manic energy. Similar boat with the Kreig actor.

Kevin Hart as Roland is completely incorrect, and the other actresses just seem WAY too old for thier roles.

I dunno. I expect it to be a train wreck tbh. I might watch it when it comes to DVD.
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.