Looks mostly good. One problem:

Boon and Epic Attribute point breakdown:
    Epic Dexterity 3: 3 points
    Epic Charisma 1: 1 point
    Tsukumo-Gami 3: 3 points
    Smoking Mirror: 1 point
    Tidal Interference: 2 points
    Phase Cloak: 3 points

...equals 13. All-Purpose Purview Boons are bought independently and cost more than Pantheon or Special Purviews. So if you want to spend three points on the Moon Purview, it would be either Phase Cloak, or Smoking Mirror and Tidal Interference, not all three..
    Ah, you're right, sorry. I had it in my head that you can choose to buy all of a purview's boons in order in order to purchase them at the Pantheon-Specific Purview costs, but it looks like that was just a houserule from way back when. Any chance you'll apply that here?

For now, I'll just take attributes instead. I've adjusted the sheet accordingly.
    Last edited by Cassus; 2024-02-15 at 01:41 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Scion First Edition game now recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Cassus View Post
    Ah, you're right, sorry. I had it in my head that you can choose to buy all of a purview's boons in order in order to purchase them at the Pantheon-Specific Purview costs, but it looks like that was just a houserule from way back when. Any chance you'll apply that here?
    That would be quite a radical change to how All-Purpose Purviews work, so no.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Rolled up semi-anarchist Meztli "Max" Adams, child of Tezcatlipoca with an 'evil' twin who is the child of Quetzlcoatl...or maybe Max is the evil twin, only time will tell.

Has a custom 3 point Relic Armor that adds +2 Defense and decreases the Speed of unarmed attacks by 1. Also a custom named Cursed Mirror Relic, but that just grants Moon and War Purviews, nothing from the custom relic table.
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2024-02-15 at 10:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Mostly good; it looks like you spent 10 Birthright points, not 5.

5. - Top - End - #65

Planetar

Misremembered the character creation rules on that, dropped Fortitude and Occult, and lost Darkness and Animal Purviews so I could devote three points to Birthright instead. Should be good now

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi :3

Are you still recruiting? I think I would like to create some hero (I have all 1e books, but to be honest, I just looked at them briefly - I believe I would be able to create a character, but also I do comprehend that usually you should know pretty well the RPG you are playing, thus, hm... I do not wanna be a problem?).

What character do you need? I kinda think of playing, maybe a young Hero of the skies? Like, an academic astronomer? Or maybe astrophysicist? With some background in computing? Can I play a Hero of the Atlantic Pantheon? It was in some supplementary book if I am correct...?
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2024-02-16 at 02:28 AM.
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi @Kish!

A rough character draft I’ve been working on. Here goes.

Inga Thurgood, Scion of Freya. Her father, grandfather, and most aunts and uncles are military, so she grew up planning to enlist. However, a residual nerdiness made her study a lot of things, including medicine. And hence, became an army medic. She knows that her mother is a God since her first year in the corps, but hasn’t given a lot of thought to what to do with that information. She wouldn’t really know a lot of other Scion, or associate with them, not out of distrust, but just unfamiliarity.

How does this sound?

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Benoojian View Post
    Misremembered the character creation rules on that, dropped Fortitude and Occult, and lost Darkness and Animal Purviews so I could devote three points to Birthright instead. Should be good now
    Indeed it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post
    Hi :3

Are you still recruiting? I think I would like to create some hero (I have all 1e books, but to be honest, I just looked at them briefly - I believe I would be able to create a character, but also I do comprehend that usually you should know pretty well the RPG you are playing, thus, hm... I do not wanna be a problem?).

What character do you need? I kinda think of playing, maybe a young Hero of the skies? Like, an academic astronomer? Or maybe astrophysicist? With some background in computing? Can I play a Hero of the Atlantic Pantheon? It was in some supplementary book if I am correct...?
    Recruitment is still open until tomorrow, at which point I'll probably freeze recruitment but give people who have expressed interest more time to finish their characters.

Scion: Demigod does say that Atlantis existed (once) and had its own gods (once), but that was a very long time ago; they're not playable now. Other than that your ideas sound good, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riya_WhiteFang View Post
    Hi @Kish!

A rough character draft I’ve been working on. Here goes.

Inga Thurgood, Scion of Freya. Her father, grandfather, and most aunts and uncles are military, so she grew up planning to enlist. However, a residual nerdiness made her study a lot of things, including medicine. And hence, became an army medic. She knows that her mother is a God since her first year in the corps, but hasn’t given a lot of thought to what to do with that information. She wouldn’t really know a lot of other Scion, or associate with them, not out of distrust, but just unfamiliarity.

How does this sound?
    Looks good.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Scion: Demigod does say that Atlantis existed (once) and had its own gods (once), but that was a very long time ago; they're not playable now. Other than that your ideas sound good, yes.
    Yup, I have read so afterwards... xD Anyway, I think I am gonna go with a Horus Hero of the Skies :D Can I take the Stars Purview from the book about Persian Gods? ;-)

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

10. - Top - End - #70

Edited: My mistake! Yazata is a book I was not familiar with the existence of, but a Purview from it is probably acceptable. Probably.
    Last edited by Kish; 2024-02-16 at 07:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm... it is certainly 1 e material? Yazata, the Persian Gods, By Siavash Mojarrad and Dean Shomshak??? (;-) ) (according to this Wiki, it was published in 2010, so certainly no 2e? ;-) )

I kinda... wanna be in the future the God of All the Skies, so I kinda fancy all the "sky" Purviews (Sky, Sun, Moon and Stars) and I really wouln't wanna drop any of them? xD

Also, I have made a character sheet! :D

Spoiler: Mateusz Śląski
    Show

Mateusz Śląski

Calling: Friendly Astrophysicist
    Pantheon: Pesedjet
    God: Horus
    Nature: Pacifist

Attributes

Physical (4)

Strength **
    Dexterity ***
    Stamina **

Social (6)

Charisma ***
    Manipulation ***
    Appearance ***

Mental (8)

Perception ***
    Intelligence *****
    Wits ***

Abilities

Favored

Athletics *
    Awareness ***
    Brawl **
    Command *
    Melee
    Politics ***

Other

Academic ** (Native language: Polish. Foreing languages (max 7): English, German, French, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese)
    Art (Writing) **
    Craft (Electronics) ***
    Empathy *
    Fortitude **
    Integrity ***
    Occult *
    Science (Astrophysics) ***
    Science (Computer Science) ***

Birthrights:

Relic (All-Purpose Purviews: Sky, Sun, Moon, Stars) 4
    Creature (a Scarab) 1
    Guide 1 (Helena Makowska, a religious studies graduate)

Boons:

Sky 2 (Wind’s Freedom)
    Sun 2 (Divine Radiance)
    Stars 2 (Sense Age)

Epic Attributes

Epic Intelligence 2 (Fast Learner, Math Genius)
    Epic Dexterity 1 (Untouchable Opponent)
    Epic Charisma 1 (Never Say Die)
    Epic Strength 1 (Uplifting Might)

Virtues:

Conviction ***
    Expression * (Instead of Harmony)
    Loyalty ** (Instead of Order)
    Intellect *** (Instead of Piety)

Legend ***
    Willpower ***** ***
    Legend Points: 9

Bonus Points Expenditure: 15

Background:

Mateusz Śląski was born in Jelenia Góra city in Dolnośląskie Voivodeship in Poland. Since young age, he wanted to ba a well-educated person, which he did, by studying at the Univerity of Wrocław. When he received a visitation from the Horus, he was kinda taken aback. Yes, he had written a thesis on magnetic field of Sun an its influence on Solar plasma, but... As a mostly science nerd, he sometimes feels out-of-touch with various aspects of Horus, but is none the less happy with the arrangement, and with his father achievements. Even though he sometimes feels like a basterd child of the God, with both his focus on scientific pursuit and moral values that are often in opposition to the values of Egyptian gods. Yet, while he might not be your typical Scion of Horus, he tries to make his father proud and is very dedicated in doing what he does.

His good friend is Helena Makowska, a graduate of religious studies, helping him as much as she can in this new, mythological adventure of his. However, as he is gay, there can be no romantic involvement between them, even thought there is somehow a strong platonic bond between the two. For Mateusz, Helena is somewhere between the best friend and a beloved sister.

Last edited by Kaworu; 2024-02-22 at 01:21 AM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

12. - Top - End - #72

Default Re: Scion First Edition game

I think you might be missing a Mental Attribute point; otherwise looks good.

Game now closed to new interest. RocknRollFTW, Rokku, josienoms, SwordCoastTaxi, Bitter, Riya_Whitefang, let me know if you're still interested/if I can help you with character creation.
    Last edited by Kish; 2024-02-17 at 10:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Gonna do two last tweaks to Brandon. First, I forgot to reduce his Join Battle along with his Intelligence (because he has Tactical Planning). Second, gonna shuffle a Virtue dot from Intellect to Courage, to represent the berserker side of his personality and fighting style instead of just the strategic side. And not actually a change, but I went through and calculated the base values for Accuracy, Damage, and Parry DV for all his attacks (this being the number of dice rolled, and thus not counting any bonus successes, a fact that I have to keep reminding myself).

Hopefully final version (for real this time):
    Brandon Flynne (0 XP)

And I'll edit it into the original post, too.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2024-02-18 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

14. - Top - End - #74

BardGuy

Can we pick 5 Languages in Scion without having 5 dots in Academics?

15. - Top - End - #75

Maximum number of languages in Scion is equal to Intelligence+Academics. (When you raise either in play, that raises your cap but doesn't automatically give you a new language overnight.)

16. - Top - End - #76

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Maximum number of languages in Scion is equal to Intelligence+Academics. (When you raise either in play, that raises your cap but doesn't automatically give you a new language overnight.)
    Very good to know thanks!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, I did miss 1 point in Mentals xD I picked another Intelligence point, now I have a speaker of Russian xD
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2024-02-18 at 12:53 AM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hmm, I should probably nail down a few languages for Brand. English and Irish/Gaelic are his native languages, and he's picked up some British Sign Language and Welsh over the years (4 dots in Int). Since returning to school (2 dots in Academics), he's also learned Latin and Japanese as part of his coursework.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I completely forgot languages! Thanks, I've added those.

20. - Top - End - #80

BardGuy

@Kaworu
    Since we are cousins I would be ok with you knowing about my existence.

About Location:
    I would go with Savannah Georgia to be precise Julian would reside a bit south of central Savannah next to Ogeechee River.

Would everybody be ok with that?

21. - Top - End - #81

With no further word from the people who expressed interest but haven't completed their characters, I'd start this today, but I have a cold so it'll be a few more days.

I also seem to have missed something. Kaworu, a Scion doesn't get to choose their divine parent any more than a human gets to choose their parents--they are actually a parent, not someone you're the equivalent of a cleric of. If Freya is his mother then...that's that. If she chose to disinherit him and then Horus chose to adopt him, then he would be Horus' child in the eyes of Fate (as with Justanotherhero's character), but neither would do that casually or without a better-in-their-eyes reason than "he wants me to." And it would need to be prior to Visitation; if he received a Visitation from Freya then he's a child of Freya. No buyin from him required for that to be the case, though he's more likely to get Birthrights from his divine parent if he acts like he values being the child of that god. (And more likely to get hustled by a Titan if he makes it too overt that he doesn't...)

Also, while this doesn't affect what Boons he can start with, neither has Stars as an associated Purview--if he has Stars and got the relic to use it from an Egyptian god, that would be...Set. (If it was Norse, it could be Thor or Frigg, and if you wanted to go with getting the relic from a different pantheon entirely, I'll figure it out.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2024-02-21 at 03:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

With no further word from the people who expressed interest but haven't completed their characters, I'd start this today, but I have a cold so it'll be a few more days.

I also seem to have missed something. Kaworu, you don't get to choose your divine parent--they are actually a parent, not someone you're the equivalent of a cleric of. If Freya is his mother then...that's that. If she chose to disinherit him and then Horus chose to adopt him, then he would be Horus' child in the eyes of Fate (as with Justanotherhero's character), but neither would do that casually or without a better reason than "he wants me to."
    Just to confirm, was mys heet missing anything at this point? i've been fairly quiet for the last few days, but that was mostly because I don't have much to add at this point.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

23. - Top - End - #83

Your character is complete, DeTess.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    About Location:
    I would go with Savannah Georgia to be precise Julian would reside a bit south of central Savannah next to Ogeechee River.

Would everybody be ok with that?
    Works for me. Brandon's arriving by plane, so probably [quick googling] at the Hilton Head International Airport. Doesn't look like it does direct flights to Ireland, though, so I guess he transferred at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    If no one else has a stronger reason for this, Liliana would be game. Having at least some unarmed self-defence tricks up her sleeve couldn't hurt.
    Congratulations, you are the only most qualified applicant!

How do you want to set it up? Liliana could approach Brand, having learned from her contacts that he's a self-defense instructor, or Brand could extend an offer either to the whole group or to her specifically, or we could just play it by ear.

...It would also also be funny if they were independently looking for a student and teacher, and ended up matched together purely by chance/Fate ("What are you doing here?"). Not sure how that would work, though, unless Brandon's teaching under an alias.

@Kish
    Does the Teaching Prodigy knack work with any ability, or just the ones that Fast Learner works with? My guess would be any ability, since Teaching Prodigy also stacks with Star Pupil, but the wording is a bit weird so I could see it going either way.

If it does work with Brawl, I'll probably pick it up (makes sense to incentivize/reward whoever I teach, since I'm so dependent on getting a student).
    Optimization Trophies

25. - Top - End - #85

Teaching Prodigy works for any Ability that the teacher has at a higher level than the student.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Teaching Prodigy works for any Ability that the teacher has at a higher level than the student.
    Awesome. 5 XP for a second pip of Epic Intelligence and that knack is probably good enough then to be a priority upgrade.
    Optimization Trophies

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Congratulations, you are the only most qualified applicant!

How do you want to set it up? Liliana could approach Brand, having learned from her contacts that he's a self-defense instructor, or Brand could extend an offer either to the whole group or to her specifically, or we could just play it by ear.

...It would also also be funny if they were independently looking for a student and teacher, and ended up matched together purely by chance/Fate ("What are you doing here?"). Not sure how that would work, though, unless Brandon's teaching under an alias.
    It depends a little on the exact situation we start off with. If it's a 'odd things start to happen and the players get drawn in independently' kind of deal I'd say Liliana would probably reach out after hearing about him through a contact or other, but if it's more a situation where we all either know one another, or get very quickly thrown together having him offer might work out better. Probably best to play it by ear until we know what the start of the game looks like.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

28. - Top - End - #88

BardGuy

Get well and take your sweet time to recover.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Somehow missed this post. Hope you feel better!
    Optimization Trophies

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

I also seem to have missed something. Kaworu, a Scion doesn't get to choose their divine parent any more than a human gets to choose their parents--they are actually a parent, not someone you're the equivalent of a cleric of. If Freya is his mother then...that's that. If she chose to disinherit him and then Horus chose to adopt him, then he would be Horus' child in the eyes of Fate (as with Justanotherhero's character), but neither would do that casually or without a better-in-their-eyes reason than "he wants me to." And it would need to be prior to Visitation; if he received a Visitation from Freya then he's a child of Freya. No buyin from him required for that to be the case, though he's more likely to get Birthrights from his divine parent if he acts like he values being the child of that god. (And more likely to get hustled by a Titan if he makes it too overt that he doesn't...)
    Hm... there it seems like I have gotten this wrong (sorry, I have never read fully the books - so many RPG fightning for mah attention... (xD)).

But might I ask - how about Scions of holy virgins gods (Artemis) or those with no sexual organs (Osiris)? :-P Just being curious... :-P

But okay, I will change the CS, gimme a minute :-P

EDIT: Okay, done, but I do not understand the following:

Also, while this doesn't affect what Boons he can start with, neither has Stars as an associated Purview--if he has Stars and got the relic to use it from an Egyptian god, that would be...Set. (If it was Norse, it could be Thor or Frigg, and if you wanted to go with getting the relic from a different pantheon entirely, I'll figure it out.)
    Basically it means that I cannot start with Stars Boon/Mystical abilities, right? Or maybe you mean something different?

I will edit the CS, but as of right now I do not comprehend, sorry? ;-)
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2024-02-22 at 01:24 AM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature