New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Looking For a Long Pathfinder 1e (PF1) Gestalt Game (Deadline March 1st)

To clarify a little, I'm looking for a game that starts at low-level, and actually makes it into the high levels. Maybe even Epic if we can do that, but not necessarily. Maybe starting around 3rd-5th level, but maybe as low as level one.

For my own character, I'd like to play an Unchained Rogue face/sneak/skillmonkey. Less "skulking in shadows" (though a bit of that as well) and more "social stealth" - walking right in front of you, and you're convinced I'm supposed to be there. For the other side of the Gestalt, I'm thinking Sorcerer, but instead of being a "normal" arcane caster, I would almost exclusively use my magic to enhance my stealth, combat, and skill checks. I also want to play around with the various Combat Maneuvers. Trips, Disarms, Dirty Tricks, etc.

The "Elephant in the Room" article is a must, and I would very much like to play Mechanics Hound's Changeling race. Spheres and other systems optional at DM discretion. Background Skills preferred but not required. Neutral on third-party things and homebrew. (Though I would very much like to use the Arcane Charlatan archetype and Changeling Sorcerer favored class bonus if able.

There is one somewhat odd request I have: The ability for each character to take a single Class Archetype (not one on each side of the Gestalt, one total) and get all of its benefits without the drawbacks and trade-ins (including the ability to take another archetype that actually gives up or alters the same class features). The sole reason I want this is to be a Phantom Thief without giving up Sneak Attack and Trapfinding, so I can be an even bigger skillmonkey. If I can't get that, then whatever, but I'd love it.

Arael666's Big 16
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Big 16

1. What game system are you running:

Pathfinder 1e. While the group will be restricted to pf material, I reserve the right to use 3.5 material as a DM, since it's the one I'm mostly familiar with right now.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be:

Homebrew adventure inspired by city of the spider queen and out of the abyss modules. My intention is for the location of the adventure to be mostly north of the silver marches and the sword coast (we'll start in Silverymoon), the underdark equivalent would be the northdark. It's highly likely that the players will face drow and underdark denizens recurrently, both in combat and social interations.

I will try my best to run social interactions and they will be part of the adventure (murderhobos, be warned), but political intrigue is way beyond my narrative capabilities.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?:

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?:

discord server nad probably roll20 for maps

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?:

Level 5, Gestalt.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?:

Standard WBL, no item should be more expensive than 1/3 of your wealth

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?:

Be mindful of where the adventure is located and how your character will fit thematically and geographically. I'll handwaive the characters internal history with each other so we avoid that slow start that tends to kill games early.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?:

As requested, MechanicsHound Changeling race is in play. I'll also blanket approve all the core races that appear in the link, plus the dragonborn and forgeborn. If any other races catches your attention you may request and I'll give it a read.
    No homebrew other than whats stated.
    Races from allowed material (see below) but none with RP higher than 15

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?:

25 pb, HP is half your HD +1.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?:

Aligment exists as per normal rules.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?:

I will not forbid it, but please try not to go crazy

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?:

Players and DM will make their own rolls, DM might make hidden rolls for PCs when the situation requires.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Elephant in the Room rules are inf effect.
    Background skills are in effect.
    Gestalt
    You get 3 traits, plus one with a drawback
    You get one favored class per track. Extra Hit Points, Power Points and Skill Points from this may stack.
    No flaws

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular:

Two or three paragraphs describing who you are, why you're in Silverymoon and hopefully why a local noble would hire your services (this last requirement may be fufilled by the party as a group after selection, so it's not mandatory). If you want, you can write a more detailed character history and I'll definetly read it, just be aware that while I will try my best to make every player feel relevant in the game, I will avoid including personal background information from players to avoid the spotlight effect.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?:

This will moslty be investigation with a lot of hack and slash. Might have puzzle solving depending on how you define that trope.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?:

Blanked aproval for all first party plus psionics, path of war and akasha from DSP. No spheres content. If you want something from other sources you will need to provide me a link where I can obtain that information legally.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2024-02-27 at 06:08 PM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Looking For a Long Pathfinder 1e (PF1) Gestalt Game

Hmmm... Well, I'd definitely like to see a long-running game; it's always an enormous amount of work to make the character feel like a living part of the setting when you start at level 17+! They just seem like they should have so much history by that point. Definitely color me interested as a player.

As an aside-- I'm running a game right now using "archetype gestalt"-- characters pick only one class, but they can gain the benefits of archetypes that trade away all of its class features (in an internally-consistent way) once without actually losing anything (and could potentially pay the actual costs for other archetypes as well). So they have a much more flexible array of class features without the raw power of actual gestalt. Is that a system that fits with your hopes? I can't tell how important the Sorcerer is to you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Interested as a player

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cassus View Post
    Hmmm... Well, I'd definitely like to see a long-running game; it's always an enormous amount of work to make the character feel like a living part of the setting when you start at level 17+! They just seem like they should have so much history by that point. Definitely color me interested as a player.

As an aside-- I'm running a game right now using "archetype gestalt"-- characters pick only one class, but they can gain the benefits of archetypes that trade away all of its class features (in an internally-consistent way) once without actually losing anything (and could potentially pay the actual costs for other archetypes as well). So they have a much more flexible array of class features without the raw power of actual gestalt. Is that a system that fits with your hopes? I can't tell how important the Sorcerer is to you.
    The Sorc half isn't vital, but I'd take it over the archetype thing if pressed to choose.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2024-02-09 at 01:04 AM.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the idea of instead of multiclassing you get more specialized in your single class by gaining extra archetypes/etc.

I'd consider this for something like a Cryptic using something silly like the Aegis trained s-class archetype. Not sure about the otherside, if it is gestalt. Maybe an akashic class? I find myself recently being more partial to them. Maybe a Promethean? Snag this as my free archetype?
    The Time for Honoring yourself will soon be at an END.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by angelpalm View Post
    I like the idea of instead of multiclassing you get more specialized in your single class by gaining extra archetypes/etc.
    Ooh, now that's an interesting idea.

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Interested as a player.

Long games are good games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, so you can have as many archetypes as you wish or limited number like 4?

Like a Cavalier could be Sister in Arms, Ghost Rider, Knight of Wall, and a Castellan even tho he nomally can't because uses too many class features ar same time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Or we can say we get 2 to 3 slots per level and then we could cherrypick special abilities from all Archetypes, meeting level requirements (minus the detriments for the alrernate special abilities like diminishing spellcasting, etc...... just saying......still Gestalt for more abuse
    Last edited by Talivan; 2024-02-12 at 01:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Expressing interest… depending on story?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tentative Interest.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Could be interested as a player.

What's the exact ritual for summoning a GM? I have some exotic seeds and spider exoskeletons I could contribute.

13. - Top - End - #13

ClericGuy

I might give this a try, but I would rather we used a discord channel as a medium for this (and maybe roll20 for maps), the problem being that I am quite illiterate regarding discord configuration/moderation (dice rollers, creating channels, servers, fixing posts, etc), So I'd like to ask for someone to assist me or maybe take that responsability entirely.

Also, we'd have to adhere to a slow post schedule (about 2-3 posts a week), I have a lot of work but I can realiably post a few times a week at night between 8-12pm (-3 UTC).

Finally, I'm mostly familiar with 3.5, but I've been reading a lot of pf material laterly and I've been meaning to convert for some time now, and this seems like the perfect opportunity to force me into diving a bit deeper into that. What I mean by that is that I'm bound to make a few mistakes or dish out weird rulings here and there, so if that happens to be the case I'd like for anyone participating to point that out.

Thait being said, if anyone is willing to accept these terms, I think I can try running a game again.

Spoiler: Disclaimer
    Show
    Also, also.

I feel the need to disclose that I have tried to run a game before but got frustraded and abandoned it. This is my way of trying to repent and make amends. Not trying to be overdramatic, but I felt really bad doing that

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm pretty comfortable with Discord in all the areas you've listed, and I'd be glad to help, but you'll need to tell me what "fixing posts" means-- do you mean pinning messages, or editing them, or something else?

15. - Top - End - #15

ClericGuy

I'm pretty comfortable with Discord in all the areas you've listed, and I'd be glad to help, but you'll need to tell me what "fixing posts" means-- do you mean pinning messages, or editing them, or something else?
    I meant to say pinning messages to channels

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

8 pm-12 am seems doable for me (if I am chosen) since it is morning here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd be interested as a player. Running a game entirely in Discord does have its advantages. For what it's worth, I'd prefer to start around 5th level.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2024-02-15 at 05:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talivan View Post
    Or we can say we get 2 to 3 slots per level and then we could cherrypick special abilities from all Archetypes, meeting level requirements (minus the detriments for the alrernate special abilities like diminishing spellcasting, etc...... just saying......still Gestalt for more abuse
    Look at the Genius Guide to the Talented $CLASS series from Rogue Genius Games. Basically breaks down a huge number of first-party and third-party archetypes into a system of "Edges" (big class feats) and "Talents" (small class feats).

I am definitely interested in PF games developed along these lines. Details of what I'd play would depend on the exact rules being employed, but I'm interested in classes/archetypes similar to Visitor Druid, Oozemorph (Legendary) Shifter, Soulknife, or various forms of Magus or Bard.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

This does peek interest
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

20. - Top - End - #20

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    There is one somewhat odd request I have: The ability for each character to take a single Class Archetype (not one on each side of the Gestalt, one total) and get all of its benefits without the drawbacks and trade-ins (including the ability to take another archetype that actually gives up or alters the same class features). The sole reason I want this is to be a Phantom Thief without giving up Sneak Attack and Trapfinding, so I can be an even bigger skillmonkey. If I can't get that, then whatever, but I'd love it.
    To be frank, that Archetype doesnt seem very powerfull. In fact, I would argue it makes the rogue even worse combat wise. So I'm very inclined to just let you keep SA and trapfinding while taking that archetype, I really don't see the need to give an archetype for free (that can get silly very fast, specialy in gestalt).

I wouldn't count on that, sorry. I'm willing to be lenient regarding power levels but that doesn't sound like a good idea, since I'm taking into account what I'm able to handle right now

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I am okay with your conditions, waiting 16 and discord link

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I am okay with your conditions, waiting 16 and discord link

Also OK with this.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Arael666 View Post

I wouldn't count on that, sorry. I'm willing to be lenient regarding power levels but that doesn't sound like a good idea, since I'm taking into account what I'm able to handle right now
    Quick clarification-- The multiple-archetypes bit was a possible alternative to gestalt. If you're just running straight gestalt, no need to worry about any of those comments.

Also, not a dealbreaker, but a starting level around 3 would be nice.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I might give this a try, but I would rather we used a discord channel as a medium for this (and maybe roll20 for maps), the problem being that I am quite illiterate regarding discord configuration/moderation (dice rollers, creating channels, servers, fixing posts, etc), So I'd like to ask for someone to assist me or maybe take that responsability entirely.

Also, we'd have to adhere to a slow post schedule (about 2-3 posts a week), I have a lot of work but I can realiably post a few times a week at night between 8-12pm (-3 UTC).

Finally, I'm mostly familiar with 3.5, but I've been reading a lot of pf material laterly and I've been meaning to convert for some time now, and this seems like the perfect opportunity to force me into diving a bit deeper into that. What I mean by that is that I'm bound to make a few mistakes or dish out weird rulings here and there, so if that happens to be the case I'd like for anyone participating to point that out.

Thait being said, if anyone is willing to accept these terms, I think I can try running a game again.

Spoiler: Disclaimer
    Show
    Also, also.

I feel the need to disclose that I have tried to run a game before but got frustraded and abandoned it. This is my way of trying to repent and make amends. Not trying to be overdramatic, but I felt really bad doing that
    All fof that is fine by me, though I won't be able to make it on Tuesdays that time. I can also help with whatever Discord things need doing.

To be frank, that Archetype doesnt seem very powerfull. In fact, I would argue it makes the rogue even worse combat wise. So I'm very inclined to just let you keep SA and trapfinding while taking that archetype, I really don't see the need to give an archetype for free (that can get silly very fast, specialy in gestalt).
    Having actually played it before, I can tell you that yes, it does sacrifice a lot of your combat ability. But it does so in order to make you a god-tier skillmonkey.

While all of these ideas being posted are interesting, don't feel any pressure regarding them.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

ClericGuy

I'm writing this while eating lunch, so if I forgot some information, please ask. Here it goes:

The Big 16

1. What game system are you running:

Pathfinder 1e. While the group will be restricted to pf material, I reserve the right to use 3.5 material as a DM, since it's the one I'm mostly familiar with right now.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be:

Homebrew adventure inspired by city of the spider queen and out of the abyss modules. My intention is for the location of the adventure to be mostly north of the silver marches and the sword coast (we'll start in Silverymoon), the underdark equivalent would be the northdark. It's highly likely that the players will face drow and underdark denizens recurrently, both in combat and social interations.

I will try my best to run social interactions and they will be part of the adventure (murderhobos, be warned), but political intrigue is way beyond my narrative capabilities.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?:

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?:

discord server nad probably roll20 for maps

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?:

Level 5, Gestalt.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?:

Standard WBL, no item should be more expensive than 1/3 of your wealth

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?:

Be mindful of where the adventure is located and how your character will fit thematically and geographically. I'll handwaive the characters internal history with each other so we avoid that slow start that tends to kill games early.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?:

As requested, MechanicsHound Changeling race is in play. I'll also blanket approve all the core races that appear in the link, plus the dragonborn and forgeborn. If any other races catches your attention you may request and I'll give it a read.
    No homebrew other than whats stated.
    Races from allowed material (see below) but none with RP higher than 15

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?:

25 pb, HP is half your HD +1.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?:

Aligment exists as per normal rules.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?:

I will not forbid it, but please try not to go crazy

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?:

Players and DM will make their own rolls, DM might make hidden rolls for PCs when the situation requires.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Gestalt
    You get one favored class per track. Extra Hit Points, Power Points and Skill Points from this may stack.
    No flaws

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular:

Two or three paragraphs describing who you are, why you're in Silverymoon and hopefully why a local noble would hire your services (this last requirement may be fufilled by the party as a group after selection, so it's not mandatory). If you want, you can write a more detailed character history and I'll definetly read it, just be aware that while I will try my best to make every player feel relevant in the game, I will avoid including personal background information from players to avoid the spotlight effect.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?:

This will moslty be investigation with a lot of hack and slash. Might have puzzle solving depending on how you define that trope.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?:

Blanked aproval for all first party plus psionics, path of war and akasha from DSP. No spheres content. If you want something from other sources you will need to provide me a link where I can obtain that information legally.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gestalt
    No flaws
    I briefly considered playing a Human. (Changed my mind.) For the benefit of players who might still be considering human, how does this interact with the Eclectic and Fast Learner feats?

I am thinking a Forgeborn Myrmidarch (Magus)/Armored Blade (Soulknife). The Myrmidarch uses standard Magus spellcasting and preparation, minus one spell per spell level.

May I substitute that for spontaneous spellcasting, using the Bard spells known and spells per day minus one of each per spell level?

I'll be gaining Weapon Training and Armor Training and the ability to take Fighter-specific weapon feats from the Myrmidarch class. I intend to select form mind bolt as a blade skill at 4th level. Should I count my mind blade and mind bolt as one weapon or two weapons for these purposes, and are they the same weapon group or different weapon groups?
    Last edited by DammitVictor; 2024-02-16 at 11:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DammitVictor View Post
    I briefly considered playing a Human. (Changed my mind.) For the benefit of players who might still be considering human, how does this interact with the Eclectic and Fast Learner feats?
    For the Ecletic feat, you simply get to add another favored class, this benefit will not be received on each track. For Fast Learner you do get the benefit for each track, so a wizard 5//fighter 5 who has these classes as favored get +1 SP and +1 HP per track, resulting in +2 HP and +2 SP in total.

May I substitute that for spontaneous spellcasting, using the Bard spells known and spells per day minus one of each per spell level?
    Would you consider the Primagus as an alternative?

I'll be gaining Weapon Training and Armor Training and the ability to take Fighter-specific weapon feats from the Myrmidarch class. I intend to select form mind bolt as a blade skill at 4th level. Should I count my mind blade and mind bolt as one weapon or two weapons for these purposes, and are they the same weapon group or different weapon groups?
    As per Telekinetic Bolt blade skill text "The mind bolt gains the enhancement bonus of the soulknife’s mind blade and may select its own enhancements (such as distance or flaming) as if it were a separate weapon from her mind blade."

Regarding weapon groups, from what I'm reading, the mindbold would be a thrown weapon and the standard mind blade would be a Blade, Light or heavy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

So, are we doing the thing you mentioned with Phantom Thief? (If we are, I'd think it's also fair to at least give everyone else a chance of getting something "underpowered" to add in. I want my time to shine and do the things my character does, but I want that for everyone else too. Last thing I would want is to end up as the "main character".)

Also, since you didn't mention anything about the third-party stuff I mentioned (and linked to) in the OP, I will once again ask about Arcane Charlatan and the Changeling Favored Class bonus.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I had a high level Rajah//Kheshig that didn't end up being played, I'm thinking I'll adapt that concept for this game.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I just got an idea with the Alchemist(Gun Chemist) archetype, maybe gestalt it with Magus (Arcane Archer)